Diane Hyman, co-owner of The Trolley Stop, created this recipe with family friend Dotty Baker. Hyman adds seasoned salt and onion salt to her dish.
|Butter (for the dish)|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|1||pound elbow macaroni|
|1||cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter|
|1||small onion, finely chopped|
|8||ounce block Velveeta cheese, cubed|
|1||quart milk, warmed|
|1/4||cup grated fresh Parmesan|
|2||cups Cheez-It snack crackers, crushed|
2. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni for 8 minutes or until tender; set aside.
3. In a large flameproof casserole over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup of the butter. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until softened.
4. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the Velveeta and continue stirring. The mixture will thicken as the cheese melts.
5. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. The mixture will turn into a thick sauce.
6. Stir in the macaroni, salt, pepper, and Parmesan. Pour the mixture into the pan.
7. Melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter. Add the crushed Cheez-It crackers. Spoon them over the dish.
8. Bake for 25 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling at the edges. Adapted from The Trolley Stop