|Butter (for the dish)|
|Granulated sugar (for the dish)|
|3||large (1 pound) Golden Delicious apples|
|Juice of 1/2 lemon|
|2||tablespoons unsalted butter|
|3||tablespoons heavy cream|
|2||extra-large eggs, lightly beaten|
|1||teaspoon baking powder|
|1||teaspoon baking soda|
|Pinch of salt|
|1/3||cup granulated sugar|
|Confectioners' sugar (for sprinkling)|
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees; set a rack in the middle of the oven. Generously butter an 8-inch round glass or ceramic baking dish that is 2 inches deep; dust with granulated sugar; set aside. You can also use a 9-inch cake pan.
2. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Slice them thinly. In a bowl, toss them with the lemon juice; set aside.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter; cool. Stir in the cream and eggs. Mix well.
4. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and granulated sugar. Stir well. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon to completely incorporate the wet and dry ingredients.
5. Add the sliced apples to the batter and mix well. The batter will be quite thick. Transfer it to the baking dish and use a rubber spatula to spread it evenly to the edges. Bake for 35 minutes until the top is golden and a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
6. Leave to cool slightly. Turn out the cake and set it right side up on a platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm.