1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 teaspoons water, if needed
1. In a steamer, steam the florets over several inches of water in a covered pan for 8 to 10 minutes.
2. In a food processor, puree the florets for 2 minutes, adding water, if needed, to make a smooth texture. Set aside 1/2 cup; use the remaining puree in another recipe.
MACARONI AND CHEESE
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni Nonstick cooking spray (for coating)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup nonfat (skim) milk
8 ounces (1 1/2 cups) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
4 ounces (almost 1/4 cup) reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the macaroni, and cook according to package directions until the pasta is tender, but still has some bite. Drain into a colander.
2. Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the oil, stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned.
3. Stir in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the 1/2 cup puree, cheddar, cream cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth.
4. Stir in the macaroni. - Adapted from "Deceptively Delicious"