|3||peeled butternut squash, cut into 2-to-3-inch pieces|
|1/2||cup goose fat, heated until melted if necessary|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|4||pounds purple or other potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces|
|1||large (about 2 pounds) turnip, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks|
1. Set the oven at 400 degrees.
2. Toss the squash with enough goose fat to coat it lightly. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Toss the potatoes with enough goose fat to coat them lightly. Transfer to another rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Roast the vegetables for 40 minutes, turning once or twice, until they are tender and golden.
5. Meanwhile, in a heavy-based deep skillet, heat 1/2 inch of goose fat until hot. Fry the turnip matchsticks until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the vegetables with roast goose. Adapted from Martha Stone