Makes enough for an 11- to 18-pound turkey
One of the staples of Tom Pierce's Thanksgiving dinner is his mother's sausage stuffing. The family doesn't offer this dish at Bongi's Turkey Roost.
|2||cups long-grain wild rice|
|1||pound ground Italian sausage|
|1||pound ground beef|
|1||tablespoon olive oil|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
|3||cloves garlic, chopped|
|1/4||cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, melted|
|1/2||cup grated Parmesan|
2. If you're not stuffing this inside a turkey, have on hand a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Butter it lightly and set the oven at 350 degrees.
3. In a large skillet with a heatproof handle, brown the sausage and ground beef, stirring often, until the mixture is completely broken up. Add the meat to the rice and stir well.
4. In the same skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
5. Stir the onion mixture into the rice mixture with the butter and Parmesan.
6. Stuff the mixture into a turkey and roast according to the chart on F6. Or transfer to the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes. Adapted from Bongi's Turkey Roost