If you're like us, you had grand plans of holiday entertaining and homemade gifts looking like a spread from Martha Stewart Living. Now, it's down to the wire and you've been alternately shoveling snow and attending parties every night for the past three weeks. There's still time to salvage your seasonal plans — make a few jars of Central Bottle Wine + Provisions Chef Stacey Daley's marinated feta tonight and next week, you'll have an easy appetizer or chic hostess gifts to bring 'round for Christmas!
HOUSE-JARRED MARINATED FETA
from Stacey Daley, Chef of Central Bottle Wine + Provisions
• 9 oz Weck Jar
• 1 lb Vermont Butter + Cheese Feta
• Extra virgin olive oil
• 7-10 pink peppercorns
• 1 pinch aleppo chili flake
• 2 sprigs thyme
• 2 sprigs rosemary
• 2 swathes Lemon peel
- Cut the block of feta into approximately 1-inch cubes.
- Add a layer of the cheese to the bottom of the jar.
- Layer all ingredients in this order: feta, herbs, peppercorn, Aleppo, lemon peel.
- Repeat layering process until you fill the jar, leaving a ½-inch gap unfilled to the top.
- Pour in the olive oil until it covers the last bit of feta. This is how you are preserving the insides, so make sure it is fully covered.
- Let the mixture marinate for seven days before serving.
To serve, remove from the fridge about 20 minutes before eating so the oil can come back to room temperature. The feta is delicious as a spread over bread, cooked with veggies, as an addition to salad, etc.
Suggested white wine pairing: Argyros Assyrtiko 2012 from Santorini, Greece
Thanks, Chef Stacey!
The author is solely responsible for the content.
About the Authors
Melissa Massello is a newspaper journalist turned startup junkie and lifelong Bostonian who prides herself on her do-it-yourself attitude. From making her prom dress out
|Tara Bellucci is a Boston-based writer that lives for fonts, food, and flea market finds. Whether decorating jars of her homemade jam for The Boston More »|