Back to homepage Arts | Entertainment Boston Globe Online BostonWorks Real Estate Sports digitalMass Travel The Boston Globe Spotlight Investigation Abuse in the Catholic Church
HomePredator priestsScandal and coverupThe victimsThe financial costOpinion
Cardinal Law and the laityThe church's responseThe clergyInvestigations and lawsuits
Interactive2002 scandal overviewParish mapExtrasArchivesDocumentsAbout this site
2014 update

Crux, a Catholic news site

A new site from the Boston Globe includes news updates on clergy abuse and other Catholic issues.
 Latest coverage

October 25
Victims could now collect

October 2
Geoghan's sister hits guards

October 1
Geoghan's sister to speak

September 27
Conviction erasure protested
Druce is hospitalized again
Guard ad seeks understanding

September 24
Inquiry: Druce beaten as child

September 20
Druce pleads not guilty in slay
Geoghan claims guard assault

September 14
Report says Druce in a rage

September 13
Letter: Druce abused as a boy

September 12
Geoghan bore guards' abuse
Lawyer: Mail deluges accused

September 11
Expanded panel is sought

September 8
Druce is returned from hospital

September 5
Geoghan consultant ties eyed

September 4
Conflict raised on consultant

September 3
Bias concerns raised in probe

September 2
No new panel members seen

August 31
Geoghan panel to expand

Earlier stories

Spotlight Report

Geoghan was in unit for 'aggressive' cases

By Sean P. Murphy and Anne Barnard, Globe Staff, 8/28/2003

 Related stories
Geoghan killed
Geoghan's sister criticizes guards

Geoghan's sister to speak

Victims protest conviction erasure
Druce is hospitalized again
Guards' ad seeks understanding

Inquiry: Druce beaten as a child

Druce pleads not guilty to killing
Geoghan claimed guard assault

Report describes Druce in a rage

Letter says Druce abused as boy

Inmate: Geoghan bore abuse
Lawyer: Mail deluging accused

Expanded Geoghan panel sought

Druce is returned from hospital

McNamara: A back-page death

Geoghan consultant's ties eyed
McGrory: Romney can do better

Conflict issue raised on consultant

Bias concerns are raised in probe

No new members seen for panel

Geoghan panel will be expanded

Group assails prison guards
Geoghan is buried in Brookline
Op-Ed: Geoghan's 'innocence'

Priest in 'aggressive' case unit
Records show Druce as deviant
Voiding of record is challenged

Bid to keep Geoghan at Concord
Geoghan's death voids conviction
Prison units see volatile mixes
US attorney won't rush decision

Monthlong plot to kill Geoghan
Alleged killer led troubled life

Geoghan was tied and beaten
Death doesn't end victim suffering
Similiarities in suspect's '88 crime
Priest seen as a prison target

Geoghan is strangled in prison
A troubled life exploiting vocation

Geoghan case letters, documents
Law deposition in Geoghan case

 From the archives
Key stories in the Geoghan case

Church allowed abuse for years

Geoghan found guilty of sex abuse

Geoghan receives 9-10 years

Law recalls little on Geoghan case

Geoghan victims settle for $10m

 Complete coverage
The John Geoghan case

The protective custody prison unit where defrocked priest John J. Geoghan was sent for committing nonviolent offenses four months before being slain was designed for inmates with records of extremely aggressive behavior, according to a written summary of a correction officials' meeting last year.

State Department of Correction officials say Geoghan, who was serving a nine- to 10-year sentence for molesting a 10-year-old boy, was transferred from a medium-security prison in Concord to the protective unit at the maximum-security Souza-Baranowski Correctional Facility in Shirley because of such offenses as "insolence," disobeying guards' orders, and tampering with a hot plate in his cell.

But in a summary of a Nov. 13, 2002, meeting of correctional officials and union representatives, provided to the Globe yesterday, Souza-Baranowski's deputy superintendent, Lois Russo, is quoted as saying the protective custody unit -- then in the planning stages -- was for inmates "too aggressive" for MCI-Concord.

The meeting took place about five months before Geoghan was transferred.

Department of Correction spokeswoman Kelly Nantel declined to comment on the summary. She said that the unit at Souza-Baranowski is intended for anyone who both needs protection and is deemed a maximum security risk, which she said could be because of violent or "problematic" conduct.

Lawyers who represented Geoghan in prison said yesterday that they pushed hard for his transfer out of MCI-Concord -- but only because he was desperate to escape harassment by prison guards and fellow inmates, which the lawyers said included people urinating and defecating on Geoghan's bed, fouling his food, and verbally taunting him, sometimes after guards intentionally left his cell door open.

Peter J. Costanza, a staff lawyer for Massachusetts Correctional Legal Services who represented Geoghan, said he did not request Geoghan's transfer to a specific facility, because court precedents have given correction officials near-total discretion over where prisoners are placed. But Costanza questioned why the officials chose to move Geoghan to a unit with some of the state's most dangerous offenders -- including the self-described neo-Nazi accused of strangling him Saturday.

John H. LaChance, a Framingham lawyer appointed to represent Druce, said yesterday that Druce harbors anger at pedophiles. Druce, 37, is serving a life sentence for murdering a man he believed made a sexual advance toward him.

LaChance said that during a two-hour meeting with Druce at the Shirley prison, his client expressed a desire "to save" children who had been sexually abused and voiced regret about the trauma "they will continue to live with."

"During the conversation, he indicated he had a very deep concern for children who had been molested and the problems they will face for the rest of their lives," LaChance said. "He was concerned with saving the children."

Druce, he said, did not specifically direct his rage toward Geoghan.

LaChance said he did not ask Druce if he planned the crime or acted alone, nor whether Druce is religious or was molested as a child. "That's not the type of delicate question you ask on a first interview, especially under the circumstances," LaChance said.

Allegations that Geoghan molested nearly 150 boys during 30 years as a priest helped trigger the clergy sexual abuse scandal that has racked the Catholic Church and forced the resignation of Cardinal Bernard Law late last year.

Though Massachusetts has only two protective custody units -- at Concord and at Souza-Baranowski -- Costanza said Geoghan could have gone to several possible alternate sites, such as Bay State Correctional Center in Norfolk, where he said at least one former priest convicted of sex crimes is now serving time.

Bay State, Costanza said, is a medium-security facility with two main categories of prisoners: long-time lifers well-adjusted to prison life and determined to serve out their sentences without incident; and nonviolent sex offenders at risk of attack elsewhere.

"Why didn't he go there? I don't know," he said.

Correction officials have said Souza-Baranowski's protective custody unit was appropriate for Geoghan, while declining to describe in detail the criteria for placing prisoners there.

Nantel, the Department of Correction spokeswoman, said Commissioner Michael Maloney yesterday instituted a new policy under which the department will answer questions about Geoghan and Druce only if they are submitted in writing and reviewed by the agency's lawyers. She cited the need to avoid interfering with ongoing investigations by the Executive Office of Public Safety and Worcester District Attorney John Conte.

Prison advocacy lawyers said there were signs that Correction Department officials are also reevaluating the treatment and placement of prisoners at the Concord prison.

Two former priests currently incarcerated at MCI-Concord were transferred in recent days to the prison's hospital unit to ensure their safety, Costanza said.

Public Safety Secretary Edward Flynn said Monday that correction officials planned to ask the two -- Ronald H. Paquin, who was sentenced in December to 12 to 15 years in prison, and Kelvin Iguabita, currently serving 12 to 14 years -- if they wanted to transfer out of Concord's general population.

"I am told that both men said they felt they would be safer if they were transferred out of general population, and that has happened," Costanza said. "For right now, I think it was a wise and sensitive move to make to transfer them."

Even before Geoghan's death, Concord's warden, Michael Grant, admonished guards about harassment reported by prisoners and their lawyers, which improved the guards' behavior, said James Pingeon, another lawyer with Costanza's organization. But he said the changes early this year came too late to help Geoghan, who had already been transferred.

Still, Costanza said he is certain some prisoners in protective custody at Concord and Souza-Baranowski are currently in danger, "even as we speak."

In March, a three-member prison board reviewed Geoghan's record to determine if he should remain at Concord or be moved to a more secure facility. It is unclear whether the meeting, called a classification hearing, was prompted by correction officials' concerns about Geoghan's behavior, by a request from Geoghan, or because of routine reviews of whether inmates are medium- or maximum-security risks. Prisoners are entitled to be reviewed every 120 days.

The board recommended that Geoghan stay at Concord, but Deputy Superintendent Scott Anderson and Lori Cressey, deputy director of central classification for the Correction Department, reversed the decision and sent him to Souza-Baranowski in April, according to a statement the department released last night. "The modification was based on Mr. Geoghan's disciplinary reports and his overall level of institutional adjustment," the statement said, adding that it was "not unusual" for department higher-ups to exercise their regulatory power and reverse board decisions.

But Costanza said he believes it was lawyers' complaints about harassment of Geoghan and other inmates that prompted top prison officials to overrule the board.

"I think the superintendent moved him because of our complaints, although the Corrections Department will never tell you that," Costanza said.

"We made them very well aware of what [was] happening to Geoghan there and of our concerns," he said. "Geoghan wanted out of Concord in the worst way."

Costanza said his office has a "substantial" file on reported abuse of Geoghan, including letters and statements from Geoghan and other inmates who said they witnessed incidents. He declined to show reporters the file because some of it may be considered confidential under the attorney-client privilege.

There was no reported physical abuse, he said. Some cases, he said, include allegations of guards "facilitating the incidents by, for example, leaving the cell door open so inmates can go in and do something."

Leslie Walker, director of Massachusetts Correctional Legal Services, where Costanza and Pingeon work and which advocates for prisoners' legal rights, said Geoghan had complained to a paralegal in her office as well as to a lawyer handling his appeal that he was being harassed and mistreated by guards at MCI-Concord.

She said that when she visited Geoghan at Souza-Baranowski soon after his transfer, he told her he was pleased with the change, despite more restrictions on his activities, because he felt safer and no longer suffered from "threats and harassment."

"Even though he was locked up 21 hours a day, he said, `relatively speaking, I'm happy,' " Walker said.

Costanza said he knew Geoghan could be exchanging one danger for another by heading to a prison with more violent inmates, but accepted the move in an imperfect system.

"Overall, the Department of Correction doesn't properly administer protective custody for inmates in the system," he said. "Souza-Baranowski was better than Concord."

He said the state's system once had protective custody units in almost every prison, but in the 1980s, most were closed as more inmates were "mainstreamed" into the general prison population. Eventually, prisoners requiring protective custody were placed at Concord, he said. In response to complaints about the deteriorating physical conditions at that unit, correction officials last year began planning for the new protective custody unit that opened in April at Souza-Baranowski. Geoghan will be buried "in a Catholic funeral just as any other baptized Catholic would be," the Rev. Christopher J. Coyne, a spokesman for the Boston Archdiocese, said yesterday. Geoghan will receive no special attention from the Archdiocese connected with his former priesthood, Coyne said, adding that the family had requested that the time and place of the burial not be released.

Stephen Kurkjian, Farah Stockman, and Peter Schworm of the Globe staff contributed to this story.

© Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Advertise | Contact us | Privacy policy