Necessity is the mother of invention.
The English proverb points to how we create or invent things during difficult or trying times to reduce difficulty. The origin of the proverb is sometimes attributed to Plato, but I like to think of my mom.
If I need help thinking through the answer to a problem, I know just who to turn to -- my mom. To this day, if I am sick, she will prepare different soups and broth from scratch to help me get better. (I mean, props to my pops too for being able to hand-build a bunk bed for my siblings when we were little and needed an extra bed!)
Well, Mother's Day is now only two weeks away. What are you getting your mom? She deserves more than just flowers and a card. Why not get her something unique and made by a Maker who puts just as much care into his or her product as your own Mother does when it comes to you?
1) Fiat Luxe Felted Soap, $14 -- Available in wonderful scents such as verbena and lavender mint, these all-natural, handcrafted soaps are all scented with botanically derived essentials oils. They're enveloped in soft felt, which creates an exfoliating and fragrant lather. This soap is the perfect aromatic escape at the end of a busy mother's day.
2) Scents and Feel Tunisian Fouta Towels, $69.50 -- These 100% handwoven-on-looms fouta towels are ideal for creating a spa-like experience at home. Absorptive, quick drying, and incredibly versatile, they're also easy on the eyes with warm colors, classic patterns, and motifs. Your mom can wrap herself in one of these to relax after the bath.
3) Olive Yew Jewels Double Strand Heart Necklace, $52 -- Rose gold jewelry adds a hint of color and sophistication to any outfit. This Olive Yew Jewels necklace comes with two rose gold plated hearts hanging on two shiny, petite rose gold filled chains. The two hearts will remind your mom of the love and support she has around her.
4) Everyday Artifact Sterling Pendants, Starting at $34 -- Everyday Artifacts captures iconic images on sterling silver pendants with resin coating, hanging from a nylon cord with sterling clasps. Made with methods and materials with a low impact on the environment, these necklaces are also gentle on the spirit, evoking feelings of peace and balance -- perfect for when mom wants a quiet moment.
5) Savino Wine Saver Carafe, $49.95 -- This elegant glass cruet is designed for not only serving wine, but also for preserving and keeping it fresh for up to a week. Now, your mom can serve wine during dinner get-togethers at her place without waste. She can also pour herself a glass of her favorite wine without needing to throw away the rest.
6) Toffee Talk Gourmet Candies 1 lb. Tin, $30 -- Handmade from the best butter, chocolate, and nuts available, this toffee has won the Best Toffee in America Taste Awards in 2012. The Toffee Talk secret family recipe makes the perfect consistency with just a hint of saltiness. Your mom will enjoy serving this to guests -- or she may keep it all to herself. Itís great with tea or as a standalone treat.
Have you already picked out your Motherís Day gift? Share in the comments.
The author is solely responsible for the content.
About The GrommetWe launch undiscovered products and help them succeed; we call them Grommets. Grommets aren't just things. Grommets are products with a purpose invented by people with stories. More »
Caroline hails from a tiny tropical island originally, but calls Boston home. A curious bird, she spent a spring trekking all over Ireland, has been an Air Force Junior ROTC cadet, and worked at Disney World as a merchandising intern. With a love for all things interesting, she found herself at The Grommet, where she gets to eat, sleep, and breathe innovative undiscovered products. Say hello to her on Twitter.