RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
< Back to front page Text size +

Correcting your Federal Student Aid form

Posted by Andrew Chan  March 5, 2010 03:00 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

My son filled out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) using his Mothers 2008 income tax info. In actuality, he should have been using his father's information because his father had primary custody of him for the past year. How do we go about correcting this on the FAFSA form?

The FAFSA form is intended to be a snapshot of your family's financial condition at a given point in time. Therefore, if the information on your form is incorrect or out-dated, you should correct it so that the schools have a more accurate picture of your financial condition upon which to base your eligibility for aid. There are several ways to make corrections and updates. Parents and students can make changes to a previously submitted FSA form via the Web, by paper or by telephone.

To make corrections via the Web go to the FAFSA's web site at You will need to log in to the site with your PIN to submit any changes. You can use this system to submit most types of changes except for social security number changes.

In addition, you can submit changes online even if you did not complete your original application online. Changes can also be made by mail by correcting your Student Aid Report (SAR) and mailing it to the address listed on the SAR. The SAR is a summary report that you receive after your FAFSA is processed. If you did not receive a paper SAR because you applied online or via the FAFSA web site, you can call the FAFSA at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) to request a paper version of your SAR.

The FAFSA also allows parents and students to make changes and corrections by telephone. However, the types of changes allowed are generally limited to processing errors. In addition, you will need your DRN (data release number) from your SAR to be able to make corrections by telephone. To make changes by phone call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

For more information visit the FAFSA web site at
This blog is not written or edited by or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Local finance professionals share insights and advice on issues such as budgeting, managing debt, and retirement planning.

About the contributors

D. Abraham Ringer is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practitioner and a Financial Adviser with Morgan Stanley Global Wealth Management in Boston. He is registered in MA, NH, NY and several other states to which his articles are directed. For more information please visit
Financial Planning Association™ of Massachusetts has 900 members who specialize in the financial planning process. Many of its members engage in philanthropic pro bono work in their communities, recommend legislation, elevate public awareness, promote financial literacy, and advocate for sound economic and tax policies.
Odysseas Papadimitriou is the founder of, a credit card and gift card marketplace, and, a personal finance site. He has more than 13 years of experience in the personal finance industry, and previously served as senior director at Capital One.

E-mail your question

Your question/comment: