RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
< Back to front page Text size +

Super Saturday - Get Free Tax Help March 21!

Posted by Andrew Chan  March 19, 2009 09:00 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

In these difficult economic times, the Internal Revenue Service and hundreds of its community partners want to go the extra mile to assist taxpayers. On Saturday, March 21, 2009, approximately 250 IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers and hundreds of community free tax help sites nationwide will open their doors to assist people. People who earn $42,000 or less are eligible for free tax return preparation at either the IRS TACs or the community partner sites.

Super Saturday also is an opportunity for people, regardless of income, who may have a tax issue or who may be unable to pay their tax bill to visit an IRS TAC. The IRS can work with people to set up payment option plans that will prevent even greater penalties and interest. The IRS is committed to doing what it can to help financially distressed taxpayers who have played by the rules.

To find the location closest to you, visit,,id=204165,00.html?portlet=7 and click on the state in which you live to see a list of locations in various cities. Below the chart are the items you need to bring if you are having your tax return prepared.

NOTE: The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally $42,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns.

People who want their tax returns prepared should bring the following information:
* Valid driver’s license or photo identification (self and spouse, if applicable)
* Social Security cards for all persons listed on the return
* Dates of birth for all persons listed on the return
* All income statements: Forms W-2, 1099, Social Security, unemployment, or other benefits statements, self-employment records and any documents showing taxes withheld
* Dependent child care information: payee’s name, address and Social Security Number or Taxpayer Identification Number.
* Proof of account at financial institution for direct debit or deposit (i.e. cancelled/voided check or bank statement)
* Prior year tax return (if available)
* Any other pertinent documents or papers

Source: Internal Revenue Service

This blog is not written or edited by or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Local finance professionals share insights and advice on issues such as budgeting, managing debt, and retirement planning.

About the contributors

D. Abraham Ringer is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practitioner and a Financial Adviser with Morgan Stanley Global Wealth Management in Boston. He is registered in MA, NH, NY and several other states to which his articles are directed. For more information please visit
Financial Planning Association™ of Massachusetts has 900 members who specialize in the financial planning process. Many of its members engage in philanthropic pro bono work in their communities, recommend legislation, elevate public awareness, promote financial literacy, and advocate for sound economic and tax policies.
Odysseas Papadimitriou is the founder of, a credit card and gift card marketplace, and, a personal finance site. He has more than 13 years of experience in the personal finance industry, and previously served as senior director at Capital One.

E-mail your question

Your question/comment: