RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
< Back to front page Text size +

How is financial aid determined when parents are divorced?

Posted by Cheryl Costa  August 19, 2008 09:12 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

My step-daughter will be applying to colleges in the fall. What is the best way her father and I can prepare ourselves financially? And how is a student with divorced parents affected in terms of financial aid?

The rules for financial aid for the children of divorced parents can be very complicated. However, the general guideline is that the custodial parent is the person responsible for completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. If your stepdaughter lives with you and your husband for most of the year leading up to the filing of the FAFSA, your husband is likely the custodial parent. Otherwise, the custodial parent is your stepdaughter's mother.

When it comes to determining financial aid, the Federal government does not consider the income and assets of the non-custodial parent. One the other hand, most private colleges do consider the non-custodial parent's income and assets. So, the distribution of aid from the college itself will probably be determined using both parent's income, but Federal and State aid (which would include subsidized Stafford loans)will be based only on the custodial parent's family income.

If your husband is the custodial parent, you should be aware that your income is considered to be available to meet college needs. This is true even if you were married the week before the FAFSA form was filed and you have four children of your own to support. Most people are surprised to hear this, but it is true. If you haven't planned appropriately, you could find yourself with a very high expected family contribution (EFC) because of the inclusion of your income. To determine what your EFC might be, check out this calculator.

That doesn't mean that the non-custodial parent is "off the hook" when it comes to paying for college. Many divorce decrees specify that the non-custodial parent must pay a certain amount of percentage of college costs. Massachusetts is one of the states where payment of college expenese can be ordered by a judge.

For more information on this topic, check out the FinAid website. Also, it never hurts to contact the financial aid officers at the schools your daughter is considering attending. They should be able to tell you, at least in general terms, how they make financial aid decisions for the children of divorced parents.

This blog is not written or edited by or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Local finance professionals share insights and advice on issues such as budgeting, managing debt, and retirement planning.

About the contributors

D. Abraham Ringer is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practitioner and a Financial Adviser with Morgan Stanley Global Wealth Management in Boston. He is registered in MA, NH, NY and several other states to which his articles are directed. For more information please visit
Financial Planning Association™ of Massachusetts has 900 members who specialize in the financial planning process. Many of its members engage in philanthropic pro bono work in their communities, recommend legislation, elevate public awareness, promote financial literacy, and advocate for sound economic and tax policies.
Odysseas Papadimitriou is the founder of, a credit card and gift card marketplace, and, a personal finance site. He has more than 13 years of experience in the personal finance industry, and previously served as senior director at Capital One.

E-mail your question

Your question/comment: