A cheat sheet on tipping dos and don'ts
Thomas Farley, a manners expert for WhatMannersMost.com, says be prepared for a variety of tips at hotels. If the hotel is a five-star property, the service expectations are greater and the tip should be, too.
- Hotel porter toting your bags: $2 to $3 per bag.
- Room service without gratuity included: 20 percent.
- Toiletry/towel delivery: $2.
- Doorman if he hails your cab: $2 to $5.
- Concierge: $5 to $15, depending on task difficulty.
- Housekeeping: $2 to $5 per day.