RadioBDC Logo
| Listen Live
< Back to front page Text size +

Dealing with contractors who don't have to be registered, from flooring to paving

Posted by Mitch Lipka  September 3, 2013 10:14 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Discussing the importance of using a registered contractor last week, of course, produced a bunch of questions from people wondering about home-improvement businesses that are not covered by the state’s contractor and licensing laws. There are quite a few of them.

Several people, unfortunately, described some pretty bad experiences with these businesses – whether it was with the guy who did their front walk or the company that put in the hardwood floors. Using a registered contractor for certain home improvements -- window replacements, roofing, and carpentry to name a few – gives consumers a built-in filter on who to use. Simply, if they’re not registered, they shouldn’t be working at your house.

Same thing with plumbers and electricians, who are required to have licenses. Like contractor registrations, you can check these trades with the state Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation.

But if you’re looking for someone to install that hardwood floor or carpet, do some masonry work (that isn’t structural), put up fencing, or pave your driveway, it’s a different story. They don’t come under the state’s contractor law and, therefore, it’s on the consumer to do more homework. You should apply the normal advice of checking references (ideally, looking at their work), making sure they’re an established operation, looking for complaints lodged with the Better Business Bureau, and seeking whatever consumer reviews you can find.

But what if something goes wrong and you can’t work things out? If the problem is with a registered or licensed contractor, then the answer is simple: go to Consumer Affairs and file a complaint.

If the issue is about interior painting or the front walk and you conclude that you’ve been taken advantage of, were ripped off, or did not receive what you paid for, you should file a complaint with the state Attorney General’s Office. And, for good measure, complain to the Better Business Bureau – or anywhere else for that matter – so that other consumers can benefit from your experience.

As much as this space is often focused on complaints, in the spirit of fairness and Labor Day, let’s flip around that last bit of advice. If you’ve had a wonderful experience, you should share that with others, too.

This blog is not written or edited by or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article


About the author

Mitch Lipka is one of America's leading consumer journalists and advocates. He is an expert in product safety, recalls, scams, and helping consumers get out of jams. He is a nationally known consumer columnist and runs He lives in Worcester. You can find him on Facebook or reach him at


Browse this blog

by category