On March 14, The Boston Phoenix announced it was closing after 47 years as Boston’s beloved alternative publication. As an era ends for one Boston media company, we looked back at some other major media shake-ups, including those that hit a little too close to home.
Pictured: The last issue of The Boston Phoenix. Next
The Boston Globe goes up for sale
On Feb. 20, 2013, the New York Times Company announced that it plans to sell The Boston Globe and its online properties and had hired a New York-based investment firm to help find potential buyers. The move comes four years after the Times Company threatened to sell off the Globe. Next
Tribune papers up for sale
On Feb. 26, 2013, two months after emerging from bankruptcy, the Tribune Company said it had hired JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Evercore Partners to help it sell its newspapers, including the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune (pictured). Next
WTKK shifts gears
Late last year, WTKK-FM announced it would undergo a significant makeover by abandoning its talk-radio format and relaunching itself as a Power 96.9, a hip-hop and contemporary music station. The change officially took effect in early January. Former WTKK personalities Jim Braude and Margery Eagan found a new home on WGBH’s “Boston Public Radio.” Next
Time Warner to sell magazine unit
On March 6, Time Warner announced it plans to spin off its Time Inc. magazine division into a seperate, publicly traded company. The move affects some of Time Warner’s most popular magazine brands, Time, Sports Illustrated, Fortune, and Money. The move ends a major media partnership that lasted more than two decades.
Pictured: President Obama was featured in a special issue of Time magazine on a New York newsstand on Nov. 19, 2008. Next
The Times-Picayune scales back
Last year, The Times-Picayune of New Orleans, Louisiana announced it would stop daily publication and instead only publish the newspaper’s print edition three days a week. Next
Comcast buys NBC Universal
On January 27, 2011, a deal was reached that allowed Comcast to acquire a 51 percent stake in NBC Universal from parent company GE. As a result NBC Universal was re-launched as NBCUniversal. Earlier this year, Comcast moved to buy the remaining 49 percent of NBCUniversal from GE in a deal worth $16.7 billion. Back to the beginning
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below