THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Founder pitches to again lead Newport fests

Promoter's financial woes prompt return of George Wein

Newport jazz and folk festivals original producer George Wein says, ''I'm just trying to keep Newport going.'' Newport jazz and folk festivals original producer George Wein says, ''I'm just trying to keep Newport going.'' (Associated Press/File 2008)
By James Reed
Globe Staff / March 4, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

Faced with the possibility of the Newport jazz and folk festivals being canceled this year, original producer George Wein said yesterday he's in the process of taking back the reins. Wein, who began the legendary festivals in the 1950s, sold his production company to Festival Network in 2007, which put on last year's fests. (Full article: 671 words)

This article is available in our archives:

Globe Subscribers

FREE for subscribers

Subscribers to the Boston Globe get unlimited access to our archives.

Not a subscriber?

Non-Subscribers

Purchase an electronic copy of the full article. Learn More

  • $9.95 1 month archives pass
  • $24.95 3 months archives pass
  • $74.95 1 year archives pass