Highlighting the top performances from Friday's state tournament action:
Samantha Zetlin and Jenny Jones, Framingham girls' lacrosse: Sophomore attack Zetlin and senior attack Jones netted three goals apiece to power defending state champion Flyers to their fourth straight Division 1 North title, a 13-4 win over previously unbeaten Lincoln-Sudbury.
Kevin Scalan, Lincoln-Sudbury baseball: In a gutsy 149-pitch effort, the senior southpaw tossed his ninth shutout in 10 starts, blanking St. John's Prep on five hits in the Warriors' 6-0 Division 1 North semifinal win. The Warriors face Peabody in tonight's North final at Lelacheur Park in Lowell at 7.
Westborough boys' tennis: The Rangers ended the 11-year reign of St. John's Shrewsbury as districtchamps, beating the Pioneers 4-1 in the Division 1 Central final, Westborough's third win over St. John's this season.
C.J. Estes and Matt Schairer, Medfield boys' lacrosse: Estes, a senior attack collected four goals and four assists while Schairer netted six goals to power the Warrors to a 16-8 win over Wellesley in the Division 2 South final.
WHAT'S ON TAP
A look at today's top tournament games:
* Bay State Conference boys' volleyball rivals Natick (20-1) and Newton North (14-6) clash for the third time this season, but this afternoon (Hudson High, 4 p.m.), the winner will take home the state title. Natick is back in the final for the second straight year after falling in last year's final to St. John's Prep, 3-2.
* The Weston girls' lacrosse team faces host Winchester in the Division 2 North final at 3, while Algonquin makes the short trek to Shrewsbury to face the host Colonials in the Division 2 Central title game at 4.
* The Shrewsbury and Algonquin boys' lacrosse teams square off in the Division 2 Central final in Northborough (1 p.m.)
* The Dover-Sherborn boys' lacrosse team meets host Scituate in a Division 3 South semifinal at 3.
* The Weston boys' tennis team faces Winchester in the Division 2 North final at Newton South at 2.
* The Newton South girls' tennis team faces Andover in the Division 2 North final at 2 in Burlington.
* The Milford baseball team has won eight of its last 10 games to earn a spot opposite defending Division 1 state champ Algonquin in tonight's Division 1 Central final at Tivnan Field at 7.
* The top-seeded and once-beaten Hudson girls' softball team takes on Oxford in the Division 2 Central final at Worcester State at 4.
-- Craig Larson
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.