WHAT'S ON TAP:
A look at today's high school state tournament action:
With the wet weather likely washing out a heavy slate on the local diamonds and tennis courts this afternoon, our attention turns to the volleyball court, where the unbeaten Lincoln-Sudbury boys volleyball team (21-0) takes on Natick (19-1) in the Central final at Xaverian Brothers in Westwood at 7.
In the final game of the regular season on May 21, Drew Corwin delivered 19 kills as L-S handed Natick its first loss of the season, 3-1 (16-25, 25-21, 25-21 and 25-19). The Redmen had a difficult time handling Corwin's thunderous jump serves.
With just four seniors, Lincoln-Sudbury has made a remarkable turnaround from last year's 4-14 campaign. Under Peter Suxho, Natick is attempting to return to the state final for the second consecutive season.
Highlighting the top performances from Sunday's state tournament action:
* Bryant Guilmette, Hopkinton baseball: Junior southpaw tossed a four-hitter as the Hillers blanked host Dighton-Rehoboth in a Division 2 South first-round game. Batterymate Matt Collins plated the game's only run with a fourth-inning double
* Josh Lurier and Josh Hurwitz, Westborough boys' tennis: Frosh and junior roll at second and third singles, respectively in a 4-1 Division 1 Central quarterfinal win over Shrewsbury. The unbeaten Rangers (19-0) host Algonquin in a semifinal match this afternoon.
Other highlights from the weekend:
* Led by sensational junior Dana Jamieson, the Lincoln-Sudbury girls' track team captured its second straight All-State title, edging Bromfield 48-32, in Holyoke. Jamieson won the 400, leaped to a second in the long jump and anchored the victorious 4x400 relay team. Teammate Molly Binder added the 800-meter title.
* Framingham senior Jordan Maddocks cleared 6 feet, 7 inches to win the high jump title and Newton South sophomore Bridget Dahlberg went the distance to capture the mile.
* Three other area relay teams beat the field: the Newton North girls' 4x800 in a record-setting clocking of 9:15.13; Newton North's 4x100 quartet, keyed by a blazing run from Cailean Robinson in the third leg.
* The Newton North boys' volleyball team won its second straight South title, defeating New Bedford 3-0, to advance to the state semifinals. The Tigers (13-6) will play the winner of tonight's Agawam/Belchertown match on Thursday.
-- Craig Larson
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.