Highlighting the top performances from Monday night's area state tournament action:
* Alex Marlow, Weston hockey: Senior netted the hat track to power the Wildcats to a 4-2 win over Dracut in a Division 3 North quarterfinal in Watertown.
* Michael Russell and DeShawn Townsend, Wellesley boys' basketball: Russell poured in 24 points and ripped down 11 rebounds while Townsend (15 points) drained a pull-up jumper with 1:05 left to lift the Raiders to a 58-56 upset over host O'Bryant in the Division 2 South quarterfinals.
* Jon Casey, Marlborough hockey: Senior scored a pair of goals as the Panthers pulled away in the third period for a 4-1 win over Leominster in the Division 3 Central quarterfinals.
WHAT'S ON TAP:
No lack of compelling tourney games on a frigid March evening.
* In a Division 1 South girls' basketball semifinal doubleheader at Stonehill, Framingham takes on New Bedford at 6, followed by Needham vs. Brockton at 7:30. In Lowell, the Lincoln-Sudbury girls face Masconomet in the Division 2 North semifinals at 7. Masco knocked L-S out of the tourney a year ago.
* Three boys' basketball sectional semifinals on tap: Hudson vs. top-seeded and unbeaten Tantasqua in a Division 2 Central semi at WPI (7:45); Medfield vs. Wareham in a Division 3 South semi at Taunton (7); and Watertown against Bishop Fenwick in a Division 3 North semi at Revere (7).
* On the ice, the Waltham boys' hockey team faces Winchester in a Division 1 North semifinal at the Chelmsford Forum at 7.
* On the wrestling mat, Weston squares off against host Winchester in a Division 3 dual meet state semifinal at 6.
-- Craig Larson
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.