Highlighting the top area performances from Saturday's state tournament action:
* Sarah Wetmore, Lincoln-Sudbury basketball: With senior center Carolyn Swords in foul trouble, junior guard stepped up, scoring a career-high 32 points to power the Warriors past top-seeded Melrose, 68-53, in Division 2 North final.
* Colleen Hart and Cerie Mosgrove, Needham basketball: Senior co-captains Hart (20 points) and Mosgrove (18 points, 14 rebounds) teamed up for 38 points in Rockets' 47-40 win over rival Framingham in the Division 1 South final, Needham's third win over the Flyers this season.
* Denise Beliveau, Framingham basketball: Senior forward capped her stellar career with a game-hgih 25 points in loss to Needham (see above).
* Marybeth Ash, Westborough basketball: The program's all-time leading scorer capped her career with 20 pointsin a 67-49 loss to Holy Name in the Division 1 Central final.
* Jeff Altimar, Medfield basketball: Pacing a balanced attack, senior guard netted 21 points to propel the Big Blue to a 69-56 win over Scituate in the Division 3 South final, Medfield's first sectional title since 1983.
* Anthony Coppola, Watertown basketball: Senior sharpshooter led the way with 20 points in the Red Raiders' 63-58 victory over Bedford in the Division 3 North final.
* Chris Gorovitz, Framingham hockey: Junior defenseman tallied a pair of goals, including the winner with six minutes left in the Flyers' 3-2 win ovewr Barnstable in the Division 1 South semifinals in Bourne.
* Steve Hopkins, Waltham hockey: Junior goalie made 28 stops in a 4-2 loss to Woburn in Division 1 North final.
WHAT'S ON TAP:
* The Franklin hockey team (21-1-1) takes another trip to Gallo Rink in Bourne, shooting to bring home its first sectional crown since 2003. The Panthers will face second-seeded Hanover tonight at 6:15 in the Division 2 South championship game.
-- Craig Larson
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.