Highlighting the top performances from yesterday's area state tournament action:
* Mike Panella and Tim Alberts, Franklin hockey: Seniors netted the tying and game-winning goals, respectively, in the Panthers' 4-3 comeback win over Hock rival Canton in the Division 2 South semifinals in Bourne.
* Matt LaBove, St. John's basketball: Sophomore center scored a team-high 17 points in a 61-58 loss to Holy Name in the Division 1 Central final.
WHAT'S ON TAP:
What a day. If you're a high school sports fan, the opportunities are endless:
* Bay State Conference rivals Framingham and Needham square in the Division 1 South final at UMass-Boston (2 p.m.). A showcase of two of the area's best players with Framingham's Denise Beliveau and Needham's Cerie Mosgrove, both averaging 20 points per game. Unbeaten Needham won both regular-season meetings convincingly.
* Lincoln-Sudbury faces Melrose in the Division 2 North final at Tsongas Arena in Lowell (2:15 p.m.)
* Undefeated Westborough takes on Holy Names in the Division 1 Central final at WPI (7 p.m.)
* Watertown meets Bedford in the Division 3 North final at Tsongas Arena (12:30 p.m.)
* Medfield faces Scituate in the Division 2 South final at UMass-Boston (noon).
* Waltham takes on Woburn in the Division 1 North final at Chelmsford Forum (7 p.m.)
* Framingham faces Barnstable in a Division 1 South semifinal at Gallo Rink in Bourne (8:40 p.m.).
* Franklin meets Greater Lawrence in the Division 2 state dual meet final at Bridgewater State College (5 p.m.)
-- Craig Larson
This blogger might want to review your comment before posting it.