News your connection to The Boston Globe
Globe West Updates News and updates from the Globe West Zone

« Russell Buchanan, World War I veteran, 106 | Main | An update from Cape Canaveral »

Thursday, December 7, 2006

Driver in fatal accident assaulted outside courthouse


A Hopkinton woman accused of killing a 21-year-old college senior in a September drunk driving accident was assaulted this morning on her way into Westborough District Court.

Alison Voorhis, 47, was knocked to the ground moments after getting out of her grey Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Voorhis faces vehicular homicide and other charges after a Sept. 24 accident on Otis Street in Northborough that claimed the life of Evangelos Pashos, 21, of Shrewsbury, a senior at Suffolk University.

Achilles Athansiou, Pashos' uncle, was arrested by court officers and Westborough police on charges he attacked Voorhis during a brief melee at the bottom of the steps leading to the courthouse's main entrance.

He is currently being processed in relation to the attack on Voorhis; the exact charges have not been released.

Prior to a brief court hearing before Judge Vito Virzi, a lawyer for Voorhis requested increased security for her client, saying that Voorhis had endured "harassment" by the dead man's relatives at previous hearings.

The Pashos family has set up protests at each of Voorhis' court appearances, including signs calling Voorhis a murderer and posters bearing Evangelos Pashos' photo.

Eighteen supporters and members of the Pashos family attended today's hearing, mostly dressed in black. They lined the sole entrance and exit to the courthouse and swarmed Voorhis' car as it arrived, shouting expletives.

Several called out "murderer" to Ms. Voorhis as she left the courtroom after her brief hearing.

"They're checking the murderer out while it's my uncle that really got hurt, the way the police handled him," said Lina Pashos, Evangelos Pashos' 18-year-old sister, as paramedics from the Westborough Fire Department examined Voorhis inside the courthouse.

The paramedics left without transporting Voorhis, who then left about 10 minutes later.

Sponsored Links