Thursday, September 14, 2006
George McGee no longer has to supply bottled water to people who own homes near his now-closed gas station.
McGee owned a gas station that polluted the Lake Boon wells last year. He had been supplying bottled water to homeowners living within 1,000 feet of the contamination.
Now, he is only supplying to a handful of residents whose wells have tested positive for a gasoline additive called methyl tertiary butyl ether (MBTE).
The state ordered a clean-up of the property, and installation of filtration systems in homes with high levels of MBTE.
-- Jennifer Rosinski