Robert Grimes, at 87; evaded capture after being shot down in WWII

By Peter Eisner
Washington Post / April 24, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

WASHINGTON — Colonel Robert Grimes, a US Army Air Forces pilot who evaded capture in World War II when his B-17 bomber was shot down over German-occupied territory, died April 21 at his home at Fort Belvoir, Va., of complications of prostate cancer. He was 87.

Only in recent years did Colonel Grimes speak extensively of his wartime experiences, in part, he said, because the military had ordered airmen to treat their experiences as secret.

When he sat down for extensive interviews about the war in 2002, he said he felt relief about being able to share his memories. After that, he met with Air Force jet pilots at a base in Colorado and talked about flying night training missions in the dark, without radar and under radio silence. He knew other planes were nearby but used instinct and occasional flares to avoid collisions. The pilots were shocked and rendered speechless.

In 1943, Colonel Grimes, then a lieutenant, and a nine-man crew flew bombing runs over German-occupied Europe from an air base north of London. He was 20, unknown to the others, and was the youngest of the crew. It was the height of the Eighth Air Force daylight bombings of strategic targets over Axis territory. On a mission near Gdansk, Poland, on Oct. 9, they faced intense ground fire and flak.

After dropping his bombs, he was able to return to his base at Snetterton Heath, but the B-17 was riddled with holes and was taken out of service. Colonel Grimes and crew set off with a different plane on the morning of Oct. 20, six days after what became known as “Black Thursday,’’ an attack on a Schweinfurt, Germany, ball-bearing plant in which 60 B-17s and 600 men were lost.

The target this time was a bomb manufacturing plant near Aachen, Germany. Nazi fighter planes zoomed in when Colonel Grimes experienced engine trouble over central Belgium. He was forced to linger beneath the clouds and became separated from the rest of his squadron.

Within minutes, cannon fire destroyed the plane’s tail, and Colonel Grimes struggled for control. As he sounded the alarm, not realizing he had been wounded in the leg by machine-gun fire, the pilot held a slow circle and fought for crucial seconds so the crew could jump free of the stricken plane. He was the last to bail out before the B-17 crashed into a field close to a Luftwaffe base, 35 miles southwest of Brussels.

Mr. Grimes later learned that four of his crew were killed in action, but five had survived the crash.

“You never stop thinking about it,’’ he said in a 2004 interview. “In my mind, I’m back in the cockpit, left seat, looking at the controls, and I’m dodging and diving around the Nazi fighters, trying to make it to a cloud bank. And I look for every option, but I never come up with anything to save us.’’

On the ground in Belgium, he heard German patrols and barking dogs but was able to hide in the brush until dark, when farmers saved him, knowing the penalty for harboring airmen was execution. He was handed over to members of the Comet Line, a civilian escape organization that saved an estimated 700 airmen during the war. A young member of the organization, Micheline Dumont, arranged for a doctor to remove a bullet from Colonel Grimes’s leg and nursed him back to health.

He recalled celebrating his 21st birthday in Brussels on Thanksgiving Day, hidden by Dumont and her friends.

In mid-December, Comet operatives provided forged Belgian and French identity papers and led him on foot, by bicycle, and train to a village near the French-Spanish border. Basque guides took Colonel Grimes and several other airmen on an overnight hike in the freezing rain through the Pyrenees. He and his companions waded to safety across the Bidassoa River into Spain before dawn Dec. 23, pursued by German patrols and facing fire from border guards.

Colonel Grimes returned to the United States, trained other bomber pilots in 1944, and was preparing for an impending invasion of Japan when the war ended in 1945. As part of the new Air Force, he went back to Europe for the Berlin Airlift that brought supplies to Berliners during a communist blockade of that city.

He finished his military career as chief of the logistics operations division with the Joint Chiefs of Staff. After military retirement in 1972, at the rank of colonel, he spent 10 years as an associate superintendent of schools in Prince William County, Va.

He leaves his wife, Mary and three daughters.

One of Colonel Grimes’s riveting memories was having been on a Brussels street car the night of his birthday celebration, which was halted by German guards.

“I gave the first guard my Belgian ID card and got through it,’’ he said. “Then the second guard came and asked me in French if I’d already shown my identification. I somehow saved myself with my high school French. And this was what I said, ‘Oui, oui.’ Those words saved my life.’’