There are days when I like to ponder the deep questions of ethics and meaning, and then there are days like today. So, on the way to work, I saw a young woman wearing a one-shoulder top. It was well-coordinated with her outfit, she had the body for it, and it looked absolutely dreadful. To me, one-shoulder tops are just trashy and awful-looking, no matter how fashionable they may be. Unless you're going to a costume party as Wilma Flinstone, you should never wear a one-shoulder top.
In my humble opinion, of course.
What fashion items make you cringe every time you see someone wearing them?
UPDATE: Well, this is entertaining! Keep sending in your comments, folks--I won't be able to moderate them all until late (post-"King John") tonight, though. In the meantime, here's a few more of my pet peeves:
1. "Quacker Factory"-style sweaters and sweatshirts with whimsical plants, animals, or other symbols appliqued, sewn, or woven into the design. (Is there anything a woman could wear that says more loudly, "I am not to be taken seriously in either the professional or sexual arenas"?)
2. Pointy-toed shoes. No, you don't have to suffer for beauty, you really don't.
3. High heels worn by women who can't walk in them.
4. Tank tops on men unless they are actually running in a marathon.
5. Not exactly fashion, but grooming--the Total Beard, untrimmed, going all the way down the neck and all the way up the cheeks. Gentlemen, growing a beard doesn't mean you stop shaving, it just means you shave differently.
The author is solely responsible for the content.