I am Ben Linus, I am a question mark, I am a pear

Posted by Robin Abrahams  April 8, 2008 06:26 PM

In the spirit of the "What Lost Character Are You?" and "What Punctuation Mark Are You?" quizzes, here's another fun one: "What Fruit Are You?"

UPDATE: Link is now fixed.

Miss Conduct is ... a pear!
pear1.jpg

Pears can be brutal and ambitious? Clearly there are seething political dramas at the produce counter that I have been unaware of. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

I confess, I had some difficulty with question 4:

Secretly, you've always thought that you would make a good:

* Stand up comic
* Food, film, or book critic
* Author
* Life coach
* Business mogul
* Pundit

I have been a stand-up comic, I am a book critic (for Body & Soul magazine--my first reviews come out next month!) and an author; arguably, I am sort of a life coach and pundit ... or at least my current profession(s) make it not too "secret" that I think I'd be good at those things! Business mogul, alas, is beyond the scope even of my fantasy life.

What fruit are you, my flavorful fans?

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. You Are a Banana
    You are mellow, easy going, and a total softie on the inside.
    People find it really easy to get along with you. You suit most tastes.

And while you're very sweet, you're not boring or ordinary.
    You have an attraction to the exotic, and you could show up anywhere... doing almost anything!

You are spirited, energetic, and a total kick to be around.
    You're also quite funny. Your sense of humor is on the goofy side, and it fits you well.

Posted by Dave Strauss April 9, 08 10:13 AM
  1. I am a perfectly ripe plum tomato.

Robin says: Now this sounds like your own interpretation, Poetess! I'm not sure the creators of the quiz realized that a tomato is a fruit ...

Posted by Poetess April 9, 08 02:09 PM
  1. You Are an Orange
    You have a zest for life, especially for anything colorful, wild, or dramatic.
    You have a unique take on the world, and you're not afraid to be a little funky.

You are a bit reserved toward people who don't know you well.
    You have a thick skin, which can protect you from anything that goes wrong in your life.

Once someone does get to know you, they totally get and appreciate you.
    Your friends see you as a bright person with a refreshing take on life.

Posted by Emily April 9, 08 02:36 PM
  1. I am a strawberry (friendly, outgoing, far from ordinary or average, allegedly very sensual and passionate... but only wild in private... and sometimes conflicted). Personally I don't care for strawberries (unless it's strawberry-kiwi water with a very healthy splash of Raspberry Absolut!)

Robin says: Now that's a recipe I'll have to try!

Posted by Penny R April 9, 08 03:07 PM
  1. You are an Apple
    You are strong, powerful, and even a bit stubborn at times.
    You have enough strength to help those around you in trouble.

You are adventurous and charming. Many people are drawn to you.
    You love life, and you enjoy traveling the world. You enjoy fine food, art, and culture.

People have accused you of being a snob, but that's not accurate.
    You do enjoy the best things in life. Unlike snobs, you truly appreciate quality... not just pretend to.

That's funny, 'cause it's kind of true

Robin says: It may be true of you, but is it true of an apple? That's what amuses me about this quiz ... it's not bad, but the random assignment to a fruit is pretty funny. Pears are brutal, apples are stubborn! Who knew.

Posted by A April 9, 08 04:26 PM
  1. You Are a Lemon

You have a very distinct personality. And if you're not being sweet, you're a little hard to take.
    You're a bit overpowering, especially in one on one situations.

And while you are very dominant, sometimes your power is needed and appreciated.
    You can liven up a dull situation, and you definitely bring a fresh outlook.

You are a bit of an acquired taste, and you tend to grow on people over time.
    People feel refreshed and rejuvenated after spending time with you.

----------------------
    That's not really how I would describe me, but I'll take it...

Posted by Eeeeka April 10, 08 07:56 AM
  1. I am an apple.

Apparently body type and personality are linked, because I am apple-shaped, as well, unfortunately.

Ah, well, I will own my appleness!

Posted by Lionors April 10, 08 03:02 PM
  1. Are there still spaces available for the Dine and Dish event Friday?

I sent an e-mail to RSVP Monday afternoon, and asked for a confirmation that a space was reserved (or I was too late and the event is full) but I haven't gotten a response.

Thanks!

Robin says: There should be; I was told this morning that there were still open spaces.

Posted by Danielle D. April 15, 08 03:24 PM

About Miss Conduct
Welcome to Miss Conduct’s blog, a place where the popular Boston Globe Magazine columnist Robin Abrahams and her readers share etiquette tips, unravel social conundrums, and gossip about social behavior in pop culture and the news. Have a question of your own? Ask Robin using this form or by emailing her at missconduct@globe.com.
contributor

Who is Miss Conduct?

Robin Abrahamswrites the weekly "Miss Conduct" column for The Boston Globe Magazine and is the author of Miss Conduct's Mind over Manners. Robin has a PhD in psychology from Boston University and also works as a research associate at Harvard Business School. Her column is informed by her experience as a theater publicist, organizational-change communications manager, editor, stand-up comedian, and professor of psychology and English. She lives in Cambridge with her husband Marc Abrahams, the founder of the Ig Nobel Prizes, and their socially challenged but charismatic dog, Milo.

Need Advice?

Curious if you should say "bless you" to a sneezing atheist? How to host a dinner party for carbophobes, vegans, and Atkins disciples—all at the same time? The finer points of regifting? Ask it here, or email missconduct@globe.com.

Ask us a question