January 21, 2011 Permalink

Landslides in Brazil

Last week, a series of flash floods and mudslides struck the Serrana mountain region near Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, destroying buildings roads and more. Nearly 14,000 people are now homeless, 759 are reported to have been killed and another 400 remain missing in this, Brazil's worst-ever natural disaster. As soldiers make their way to remote towns with aid and transportation, Brazil's government has said it would accelerate efforts to build up a nationwide disaster-prevention and early-warning system. Collected here are photos from the mountainous regions near Rio that were so hard-hit by these landslides. [Editor's note: Just a note to say thank you on this, my last day as editor of the Big Picture. Though I am moving on, this blog will continue to run here on boston.com, edited by the Globe photo department. It's been an amazing journey. -Alan] (41 photos total)

A destroyed church stands surrounded by debris and floodwaters after a landslide in Teresopolis, Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil, Thursday Jan. 13, 2011. (AP Photo/Felipe Dana)

Alan, you will be greatly missed.
Thanks for enriching my life.

Posted by Chris greaves January 21, 11 12:54 PM

1rd

#22 is pretty damn sad.

Posted by deaderinred January 21, 11 12:56 PM

So Sad

Posted by Odesto Polanco January 21, 11 12:58 PM

wow. Terrible!

Posted by Pharinha January 21, 11 12:58 PM

Thank you for this wonderful site.

Wishing you well in whatever comes next.

Lucy

Posted by Lucy Corrander January 21, 11 01:00 PM

Siempre esta clase de tragedias son lamentables... vamos, como todas, aunque la naturaleza es la que a destruido todo esto, las autoridades tienen mucha culpa de las muertes, por no analizar las zonas de riesgo.
------------------------------------------------
Whenever this kind of tragedies are sad ... We, like all others, although nature is what has destroyed all this, the authorities are much to blame for the deaths, not to analyze the areas of risk.

Posted by ricardorlachia January 21, 11 01:01 PM

just to correct an information

the dog named "Leao" actually belongs to a guy who works at the cemetery and his real name is "John"

this history was a misunderstood

Posted by ane January 21, 11 01:03 PM

It was revealed that #22 is a picture of a random dog, not the deceased's.

My condolences to the families.

Posted by Anonymous January 21, 11 01:07 PM

Alan - thank you VERY much for your great work! Big Picture has become an integral part of my daily visual intake.
I'm actually very happy you're moving on. Now we'll have one more great news photo blog!

Posted by Zurab January 21, 11 01:09 PM

@Alan- you will be missed; thank you for all of your hard work!

Posted by Terry January 21, 11 01:10 PM

Amazing photos, my heart goes out to these people.

Alan, you've opened my eyes to alot that goes on in the world.

Thankyou mate, good luck in your future endevours.

Posted by humanbeing January 21, 11 01:12 PM

Alan ... happy for your new venture, sad that Big Picture will lose your unique perspective. You made this my favorite blog. Please let us all know what you do next.

Posted by Tom January 21, 11 01:13 PM

sad! very sad
condolences and prayers!

Posted by elmo January 21, 11 01:14 PM

Que Deus abençoe todas a famílias! amém!

Posted by Frank Bitencourt January 21, 11 01:15 PM

Triste demais.
Pelos que foram.
Pelos que ficaram sem familia.
Pelos que ficaram sem casa
Pelos que ficaram sem nada.
Haja força e coragem a todos que sofreram com essa tragédia.

Posted by Luis Catapano January 21, 11 01:16 PM

Its so sad!

Posted by mode January 21, 11 01:21 PM

Thank you so much Alan. Good luck in your future endeavors, whatever they may be.

Posted by Patrick January 21, 11 01:24 PM

Thx Alan

Posted by jolkurd January 21, 11 01:27 PM

Alan, thanks so much for TBP. Good luck with your new projects!

Posted by JM January 21, 11 01:29 PM

les pauvres gens, vraiment des images terribles.

Posted by Francky21 January 21, 11 01:29 PM

Triste demais.
Pelos que foram.
Pelos que ficaram sem familia.
Pelos que ficaram sem casa
Pelos que ficaram sem nada.
Haja força e coragem a todos que sofreram com essa tragédia.

Posted by Luis Catapano January 21, 11 01:29 PM

Thanks, Alan.

Posted by Sean January 21, 11 01:30 PM

Alan, you did a really nice job.

Thank you very much and good luck.

Posted by racato January 21, 11 01:31 PM

Thanks, Alan. You've taught me so much about what it means to be human. Blessings to you!

Posted by eric January 21, 11 01:32 PM

Thanks for your hard work Alan and best wishes for the future! I've enjoyed the Big Picture for many years and look forward to it continuing.

Posted by Jaci January 21, 11 01:34 PM

Alan, you made folks look at the good, bad and ugly. We are better for it. I will be changing my shortcuts to your next venture.

Today's photo edit round...sobering. Wow.

Posted by Chris Wells January 21, 11 01:35 PM

Take a look at photo #27... Look how so few trees some green terrains have... Thats one of the cause os this tragedy...

Condolences for everyone who lost someone or something

Posted by Ricardo January 21, 11 01:36 PM

Alan, thank you so much for all your work with the big picture. I've waited on the edge of my desk chair for your next post, for your next glimpse into a different part of the world or what's going on around us.

Best of luck to you!

Posted by Jason January 21, 11 01:38 PM

Fuerza a la gente de Brasil

Posted by d-kings photo January 21, 11 01:38 PM

Left Speechless by those pictures. My prayers go to them. Seems as if the whole world is falling apart.

Posted by Terri Bey January 21, 11 01:40 PM

We will miss your work Alan!

Posted by Jessica January 21, 11 01:42 PM

Whenever it rained a lot this season in Brazil.
But it never rained like this before. This was an unpredictability disaster, and many families lost their relatives. Even firefighters trained to this kind of tragedy, were impressed with such destruction. Fortunately many people have survived the floods and landslides.

These houses were not considered dangerous areas.
The volume of water that came down the slopes exceeded the limit.

The forecast also predicts that it will rain more in Rio, and the number of victims continues to grow.

Posted by Prometeu January 21, 11 01:42 PM

Thank you so much, Alan! You did a great job! All the best for your future. Be sure you will be missed ...
It's a pity you have too say good-bye with photos showing such a tragic incident.

Posted by Jogi R. January 21, 11 01:45 PM

It's terrible. Brazil have never seen anything like this before. Sao Paulo and Minas Gerais (two other states) are also with flood problems. What's going on with the world? =(

P.S.: Alan, I follow The Big Picture since it started, and you made a great work here; thank you and good luck.

Posted by Cynthia January 21, 11 01:54 PM

All the Best, Alan!
I hope they can hold the high quality standard up!

Posted by Pappfigur January 21, 11 01:57 PM

Alan, your Big Picture has brought so much of the world to my computer in a way I don't get from "regular" news sources. I've looked forward to each installment over the last couple of years. Thank you for all your efforts! - and best of luck in whatever you head into next.

Posted by Carol January 21, 11 01:58 PM

Alan good luck to you man—you made a HUGE impact with this blog. All the best in whatever you take on next.

Posted by Ryan Van Etten January 21, 11 01:58 PM

Alan, thanks for your work on Big Picture- it's been the source of some of my very favorite photos.

Posted by Annie January 21, 11 02:00 PM

The story about the dog Leão is not true. His owner is the gravedigger. And I´m not kidding.

Posted by Ingo January 21, 11 02:04 PM

Do not there is much to be said, only that it is very sad! We hope a lot of strength to Rio brothers!

Posted by Fernando Nunes January 21, 11 02:05 PM

A Merci Alan from France, your photos have been always great.

Posted by Theophile January 21, 11 02:05 PM

Merci pour ces magnifiques photos semaine après semaine, bonne continuation Alan.

Posted by Clément January 21, 11 02:07 PM

I'm Brazilian expat it's just so sad to see these pictures. I truly hope that local and federal authorities will provide the financial resources to prevent such tragedies in the future. This is a recurrent issue during the summer monsoon in Brazil. Thanks so much Alan for all your work and good luck in your future endeavours.

Posted by JR January 21, 11 02:07 PM

The scale of the devestation is truly horrifying!!

Alan, thanks for consistantly bringing us amazing, thought provoking pictures to wonder at!

Good luck in the future!

Posted by Al January 21, 11 02:09 PM

My condolences to all in Brazil who have lost loved ones.

Alan....thank you for all you've done. I always look forward to the Big Picture - it's one of my favorite sites. You will be missed. Your replacement will have big shoes to fill.

Posted by TSeven January 21, 11 02:13 PM

When I first saw that this was your last posting, I was disappointed that you were finishing your run on such a sobering subject- I now realize that this is what you do best. It would be a lot easier to put up a posting of baby polar bears and balloons in the sunshine, but you never fail to make events in the rest of the world real to me. It's easy to miss the reality what's going on out there, and this blog provides invaluable insight.

Alan: Good luck with your new "In Focus" blog at The Atlantic.
Boston Globe Editors: You've got some big shoes to fill. Please don't take the easy road and avoid challenging stories like this one.

Posted by mike January 21, 11 02:14 PM

Great and touching photos - as always. Fantastic work.

Alan, let me say thank you as well, I have rarely missed out on your fantastic galleries. I hope that your future projects will be just as awesome. I hope your colleagues will do an equally good job... And let us know what you're up to!

Posted by Al January 21, 11 02:14 PM

Alan, please do let us know what you do next. You have truly created something special and inspiring here.

All the best!

Posted by Kevin January 21, 11 02:16 PM

Good Luck Alan. This is the best photos site in the internet.

OBS: The dog of photo 22 belogs to a cemetery emploee.

Posted by Rodrigo Souza January 21, 11 02:20 PM

Thank you Alan for this great work. The Big picture is one of my favorite site. I hope Boston Globe will continue in the same way.

Bon vent, Alan, the best for you.

Posted by Xavier Huberson, France January 21, 11 02:21 PM

Sorry to see you go. Have enjoyed your work on The Big Picture.

Best wishes on your future endeavors.

Posted by Freakin Loon January 21, 11 02:21 PM

Posted by Hazem January 21, 11 02:23 PM

Brilliant, but sad pictures of a horrible event. Best wishes to all effected by this disaster.

Alan: Thanks for your efforts and your very very good work. I wish you all the best and that your new path will work out for you.

Best regards and good bye

Mattes
Germany

Posted by Mattes January 21, 11 02:25 PM

Thank you Alan. You made the world a smaller place, and all mankind more responsible.

Posted by Chuck January 21, 11 02:28 PM

Amazing work, BTW, image #30 shows a Spanish rescuer with a picture above his head...It's written in Portuguese "Aqui mora um guerreiro"...The translation is "Here lives a warrior"! Hope they made it

Posted by Johnny January 21, 11 02:33 PM

Well done Alan Taylor. I have enjoyed every one of your picture choices since your first great effort and have enticed many many others to enjoy it too. I'm already following the Atlantic tweets and look forward to the RSS feed soon.

I'll stick with the Big Picture as well, and it will be interesting to see how it develops without your input.

Good luck.

Posted by Jon T January 21, 11 02:38 PM

Alan I wish you all the best! Thank you for the wonderful photo-blog! My week wouldn't be the same without it.

Posted by Ryan January 21, 11 02:39 PM

Oh no! We'll miss your eye for photography Alan. Have fun in your new ventures and thanks for making this such a great blog.

Posted by Alchemagician January 21, 11 02:40 PM

ALAN, THANKS FOR SHARE THIS PICS, BEST WISHES IN YOUR NEW JOB, YOU GOT A LOT OF FANS.

Posted by BULLDOZZER January 21, 11 02:42 PM

I've long enjoyed TBP. Thank you, Alan, for your wonderful work. The best to you in your new endeavor!

Posted by skb January 21, 11 02:43 PM

Thank you so much for your work Alan, I looked with anticipation for your next blog. I hope your next venture is an exciting one, take care!

Posted by Mark January 21, 11 02:44 PM

i´m brazilian and there are floods every day in Sao paulo the population is tierd.

Posted by Stewie January 21, 11 02:47 PM

Alan, thanks for giving something for me to look forward to every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the past couple years. Much appreciated. Good luck with your next adventure.

Windsor Ontario Canada.

Posted by Trevor D. January 21, 11 02:48 PM

Que tristes imagenes, animo !! hermanos Brasileños.

Posted by edgar January 21, 11 02:49 PM

Good luck Alan! you've set a high standard for the crew to follow. :)

Posted by Andrea January 21, 11 02:52 PM

Alan Taylor
i miss you!!!!

Posted by Stewie January 21, 11 02:55 PM

impresionante - mis condolencias desde Argentina a los hermanos brasileros

Posted by Juan Pablo January 21, 11 02:58 PM

@ Alan: thank you, your blog has enriched my life.

Posted by Norbert January 21, 11 02:59 PM

The tears didn't come until #22, then I lost it. How completely devastating, my heart goes out to everyone affected.

And Alan, you will be missed here! Good luck in your new venture.

Posted by Kelli January 21, 11 02:59 PM

Alan, The Big Picture has become something that I check every day. Love the photos each day and sad to hear you are leaving this endeavor. What are you going to be doing next something along the same line, I would love to follow??

Posted by Randy Vollrath January 21, 11 03:04 PM

Oh my God, my heart goes out to all the people who lost their loved ones in this disaster, this is so scary...
May those who died rest in peace, and those who are lost be found soon...heartbreaking...

Posted by Katia January 21, 11 03:08 PM

Thanks, Alan. In a world so full of opinions, photos with simple descriptive captions are a welcome relief. Your editing has been superb! Best of luck in your next endeavor(s)...

Posted by Chip Clark January 21, 11 03:10 PM

The information we have here in Brazil is that the amount of rain in 24 hours exceeded the amount of the full month (January is naturally rainy season in this region). The humidity across the country, an unusual phenomenon, coming from the Amazon region and fell over southeast (in the states of Minas Gerais, Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro). Several cities in the state of Minas Gerais also declared a state of public calamity, with several floods, landslides and deaths. In Nova Friburgo, several trunk water which fell in the higher parts of mountains devastated entire neighborhoods, carrying giant stones to the middle of the streets. Even the rivers changed their courses. The devastation was enormous.

Nova Friburgo and Petrópolis cities are very beautiful. The Brazil national football team makes its pre-season in Petropolis. It is very sad to see all this destruction.

Posted by Ivo Necchi January 21, 11 03:11 PM

#8 poor baby...are her eyes so red from crying so much? :(

Posted by SoulChorea January 21, 11 03:11 PM

Those people have 18 stations to prevent this kind of disaster and the govs were discussing who would pay for the maintenance! I guess they are more concerned about the olympics and world cup, right?!

Posted by Guilherme Costa January 21, 11 03:13 PM

We are really facing hard times here in Brazil...
I hope that this disaster can open our governament "eyes" and We as a Country starts to prepare ourselves to natural disasters.

Posted by Regina Bruno January 21, 11 03:13 PM

Thank you Alan, you did great job.

Posted by lorafenik January 21, 11 03:15 PM

La 22 es falsa?,manipulacion del epigrafe?.

Gracias Alan.

Posted by Mario January 21, 11 03:15 PM

Amazing photos as always. My thought and prayers are with the people of Brazil.

Alan, I wish you the very best. This site has been a part of my routine for a couple of years now. I can't get this depth of information anywhere else in the general media. I hope they keep up your good work. You will be missed!

Posted by Kathy January 21, 11 03:22 PM

VERY TRAGIC.....AMAZING PICTURES

Posted by texassoldier05 January 21, 11 03:22 PM

Alan, you will be truly missed. All the best for all your future endeavors.

Posted by Subhro January 21, 11 03:24 PM

Take care, Alan.

Posted by jayz January 21, 11 03:34 PM

Always amazing photographs. I agree please let us know what you will do next Alan. Lets hope it's something we can all enjoy as much as we do this blog.

Posted by Jerry J January 21, 11 03:35 PM

Shocking images, condolences to all those missing loved ones...

Also a big thank you Alan - this is a terrific blog and has really helped bring the news back more towards reality. I feel all too often that news sources go after sensationalised headlines, exaggerated scare stories but still censor the true sadness of many events. It's been a breath of fresh air to see news at it's most basic yet most impactful.

All the best for the future...

Posted by Neil January 21, 11 03:37 PM

Dear Alan, I thank you not only for the impressive images, but also for the good choice of topics and for the objective and discreet captions. Bye!

Posted by Theo January 21, 11 03:39 PM

Thanks Alan, you created something amazing here.

Posted by chris January 21, 11 03:44 PM

Alan, thank you for your hard work, and making the big picture an internet favorite! Hope everything goes great for whatever is next for you!

Posted by Zeke January 21, 11 03:47 PM

thank you, alan, for your tremendous efforts here.

Posted by Heather Katsoulis January 21, 11 03:49 PM

Alan, thanks for everything. We will see you in your new venture. And we will continue seeing the work of the new curators of this site. Wish the best for them also

Posted by Mauricio Duque Arrubla January 21, 11 03:51 PM

So damn sad...

Posted by Daniel Fernandes January 21, 11 03:56 PM

God be with them.
Thanks a lot Mr.Alan, you made the world closer to us, we will miss you.

Posted by Haydar Zandaki January 21, 11 04:01 PM

I was born and raised in Teresopolis and I've never seen anything like this. The storm in that night was really scary. Brazilian people used to think that our country is free from natural disasters like hurricanes, tsunamis and earthquakes. But in that night, the nature proved the opposite. We were not prepared to this kind of disaster. but the best part was seeing the solidarity of our citizens and his dedication to helping others. Carrying and donating supplies, treating the sick people and doing what is possible to see their happiness. Today, I know that I live in a small town, but with great people. God help us in this part of the journey!

Posted by Manoel January 21, 11 04:06 PM

Thank you Alan! You've done such an amazing job with this blog. It's been a great source of both aesthetics and news for years.

Posted by Celine January 21, 11 04:07 PM

Alan, thanks for all your great work! Hope the blog will keep up it's quality in the future.

Posted by Maarten (Netherlands) January 21, 11 04:09 PM

Thank you, Alan, for your interesting work here.

Posted by Ariel January 21, 11 04:10 PM

Thanks for making my favorite website what it is today, Alan. Best wishes in all you do.

Posted by Lauren January 21, 11 04:10 PM

@ALAN - All the best. The Big Picture is one of my favorite blog thanks to you.

Posted by davidsangboi January 21, 11 04:10 PM

Alan, Tell us what you'll be doing next. I don't think the site will be the same without you. I follow regularly!!! thank you!

Posted by Heather Wood January 21, 11 04:11 PM

Sad :c

Posted by January 21, 11 04:19 PM

Many many many thanks Alan for this amazing sharing journey that sadly ends today !
Wish you all the best for the rest of your job trip.
Take care.

Frederic

Posted by Frederic January 21, 11 04:21 PM

Alan, thank you so much. These pictures are life, both joy and sorrow.
Have it good, wherever you go next.

Posted by sarai January 21, 11 04:24 PM

Thanks for a great and inspiring photographic journey. Best wishes ahead!

Posted by alpha January 21, 11 04:24 PM

Alan, i've never written a comment here, but now i think it's time. Thank you very much for you work. It was the first photo website i started following on web and to tell you the truth, you work has inspired me to start on photography more than just an amateur photographer. Good luck with your next job!

Posted by Paul January 21, 11 04:24 PM

#27 are mudslides, they are not areas that have suffered a lot of damage from trees being cut off. Mudslides don't only occur where there are houses, they are natural occurrences in hills and 'mountains' where the soil cannot take any more water and just 'slides'.
My heart goes out to all the victims.
John, thank you for being such a great editor!

Posted by AA January 21, 11 04:26 PM

@ALAN - I love The Big Picture and have to thank you for the amazing posts! Wish you all the best!!

Posted by Ricardo Castro January 21, 11 04:26 PM

It's revolting, the authorities do almost nothing to prevent this kind of thing. The world cup and the olympics shouldn't be here

Posted by Alexandre January 21, 11 04:27 PM

Reader of 3 years, first time posting. Thank you very much for showing me a fantastic world through pictures. I have come to expect a very high quality of presentation from this site... it will be very hard to fill your shoes! Good luck!

Posted by Sean January 21, 11 04:32 PM

Many thanks for setting this up...a site that gives many a new perspective on the world around us. Great job, good luck for your next endeavours!

Posted by Felix January 21, 11 04:33 PM

Lets pray for them. Really sad.
Great pictures, my fav is #39. Capture the sadness.

ALAN, because of you, i put The Big Picture page on my bookmark. The selection of pictures is very2 good. Anyway, all the best for your future!

Posted by Kamalselle January 21, 11 04:34 PM

Thanks a lot, Alan!

All the best in your new projects.

Posted by Marilu January 21, 11 04:35 PM

All the best to you Alan, you've brought 'The Big Picture' to the forefront of contemporary photojournalism.

Posted by Ivan (Chicago) January 21, 11 04:41 PM

Best photography blog i've ever seen. Thanks, Alan.

Posted by Gabriel January 21, 11 04:43 PM

Thanks for all the photo, Alan.
DR

Posted by DR January 21, 11 04:47 PM

Alan,thanks for all your work...you have painted us a very incredible picture!

Posted by Tim January 21, 11 04:48 PM

The Big Picture is one of the greatest photojournalism blogs out there and I've been following it for a very long time.
Thank you Alan!

Posted by Nuno Silva January 21, 11 04:48 PM

Thank you Alan !! I wish you the best in your next adventure :) God bless

Posted by Karla Ibarra January 21, 11 04:55 PM

Thanks Alan for all of the great pictures and stories. You will be greatly missed!

Posted by RogerT January 21, 11 04:57 PM

Thank you Alan for everything i learn here.....
good luck in your next challenge!
Best wishes

Posted by Fred Leroux January 21, 11 04:58 PM

Photography brings all the world to my eyes at home. Alan, thank you for sharing your talented editing with me. The Big Picture reminds me of listening to the radio in that I always think I'm the only one in the audiance; that you put all these photos together just for me.
To all the people of Brazil: I am saddened by your loss and suffering caused by nature's power. I believe you can get the help you need from each other and the helpers on our earth.

Posted by Nancy Baisley January 21, 11 05:06 PM

Desus escreve certo por linhas tortas, todos os sofrimentos estão sendo monitorado por Êle! Vamos ter fé e orar! O poder da oração com certeza vai ajudar aos que se foram e aos que ficaram!
Que Deus tenha piedade de todos!

Posted by Gerardo Barros Teixeira Júnior January 21, 11 05:11 PM

All these photos show at least one thing: poor people, rich people, small houses, big ones... there's no difference, they are suffering the same way. The people who lives in Brazil are doing whatever is possible to help our brothers in these cities. Thank you for showing this disaster to the world!

Posted by Marli Assunção January 21, 11 05:24 PM

Amazing job Alan, always loved your selections of both topics and photos.

Posted by Ralf January 21, 11 05:29 PM

thx Alan, thanks for everything for your impressive work! Good Luck!

Posted by CsinJan January 21, 11 05:38 PM

thx Alan, thanks for everything for your impressive work! Good Luck!

Posted by CsinJan January 21, 11 05:40 PM

Gracias Alan! Ha sido increíble e inspirador. Best wishes!

Posted by robertomd19 January 21, 11 05:40 PM

22 and 24 both very moving (regardless of the owner of the dog)

Posted by Andrew W January 21, 11 05:45 PM

Let us know where you end up. Have been following this blog for years now thanks to you Alan. Best wishes from Sydney, Australia

Posted by Jeremy January 21, 11 06:00 PM

#8 is Heart braking....!

Posted by Matze January 21, 11 06:03 PM

Hungary wishes Brazil lots of Fuerza!
My heart is with you, people, though I live quite far.

Also, Alan, thank you for the pics.

Posted by Tamás January 21, 11 06:10 PM

Thank you Alan for the Big Picture! Good luck in your next endeavor!

Posted by Helmi January 21, 11 06:19 PM

Great work! Sadly we see these picture repeated in our country every summer. Seems that our government is more focused in giving themselves a 62% payrise (that's 130% for the president) then actually working to avoid this kind of recurring "natural disasters".

Posted by Anna Luiza Rech January 21, 11 06:25 PM

Gracias Alan, desde Bolivia, te envío mi agradecimiento, ha sido un periodo fascinante, fue un gran trabajo!!

Posted by Jose Luis A January 21, 11 06:25 PM

Thank you so much, Alan, it's been a real pleasure to follow your Big Picture for those years, refreshing regularly the page as to be sure there wasn't a new amazing serie.

Posted by d'autres January 21, 11 06:31 PM

Thank u, and good luck Alan. :)

Posted by Hemaka January 21, 11 06:36 PM

We need his help. Please, hand over some donation in the International Red Cross

Posted by Rosalvesp January 21, 11 06:39 PM

Tragic and moving photos. Our prayers go out to Brasil and her families affected by this disaster.
Alan, thank you for your vision in building this powerful photo blog that communicates and inspires more than mere words.

Posted by Ihfr January 21, 11 06:41 PM

Thanks a million Alan

Posted by Thomas January 21, 11 07:19 PM

Cheers Allan!

You've shown me so much!

M from England

Posted by M January 21, 11 07:57 PM

Brilliant photos of a horrendous event.
Good luck, Alan, and best wishes.

Posted by paul w January 21, 11 08:02 PM

thanks allan for the report,its warning for us abaut global warming eart

Posted by ulunkijo January 21, 11 08:17 PM

Good luck Alan. Nice work here.

Posted by Jason January 21, 11 08:26 PM

Wow. And among them you still see smiles. #36

Posted by Areya January 21, 11 08:28 PM

Por favor, Alan, não nos deixe.
Seu trabalho nos dá muito alento, mesmo trazendo imagens tão tristes como essas.
elizio - Campo Grande - MS - Brazil

Posted by elizio January 21, 11 08:32 PM

Fuerza a los hermanos Brasileros. Sobran la palabras. Desde Argentina

Posted by Marcos January 21, 11 08:34 PM

we appreciate the volunteer rescuer! I wish God Will soon recover ALL !

Posted by Maharani Sharma January 21, 11 08:39 PM

Great job, Alan. Thanks for it all.

Posted by Bruce January 21, 11 08:41 PM

É terrível... Terrível aos olhos, terrível para a alma, olharmos essas fotos e
constatarmos que a DOR e o DESESPERO, aliados ao Desalento, sâo
as principais expressôes que podemos observar nos semblantes de todos "os que ficaram ou restaram"(?), desse drama exterminador que
fez parte do cenário das horas que o nosso amado Brasil, viveu nesses
ultimos dias.
Como brasileira que sou, só posso deixar expressa aqui, a minha enorme
tristeza e pesar, a todos esses nossos irmâos que, hoje, nâo sabem sequer, como serâo suas próximas horas...
Que o Mestre Jesus envolva a cada um em seu Manto Sagrado!

Posted by Ana Maria January 21, 11 08:41 PM

Mr. Taylor, many thanks for your work on The Big Picture. A fine selection of photos, as always, although of a tragic event.
Best wishes to you, and the best of luck in all of your future projects.
Again, thanks!
(Big shoes to fill, Globe photo department. Big shoes to fill ... )

Posted by Omar Modesto January 21, 11 08:43 PM

I'm Brazilian and I hope this time Brazil will invest heavily in weather forecasting. We're decades behind de US.

Posted by Lu January 21, 11 08:44 PM

Heart breaking, specially 8th

Posted by Saurabh Sharma January 21, 11 09:04 PM

I'm sad to see you're leaving Alan. I've been a follower of this blog since nearly the beginning, it's one of the first links I hit every day. I come here to smile, to learn, to be uplifted, and to cry. While the individual photos aren't yours, the selection and arrangement always seemed to work in a way that made the collection greater than the sum of its parts. I have enjoyed the window out into the world that you've given us over the years.

Thank you.

Posted by Chris January 21, 11 09:10 PM

Hi my name is Lucas and I live in Brazil, but far of this tragedy..
God please bless my country, and take care of the families there's lost someone.

Posted by Lucas Ferreira January 21, 11 10:16 PM

Pic # 22 Its Heart touching

Posted by Vishal Bangarshettar January 21, 11 10:45 PM

What a horrific catastrophe!
I am Brazilian from Rio de Janeiro, the city, not the mountain region.

While some of the deaths could have been prevented by prohibiting construction in those areas, that was not 100% responsible. The intensity of the rain and wind had much to do with it.
The government of the states and towns, as well as the federal government in Brasil have never before shown the effectiveness and compassion as they have in their response to this disaster.
Do not allow the extremist right wingers in Brasil fool you. never has there been such a response, and it is not all done yet. No brasilian will go hungry or un-sheltered, or without medication and medical care. Of course the generosity of corporations at home and abroad, as well as the people of good will all over the world are also responding with kindness. As a brasilian I thank you with all my heart.
And Alan: No words to let you know the appreciation

Posted by Tania Guimaraes January 21, 11 11:00 PM

long-time reader; thanks for all the work over the years.

Posted by romide January 21, 11 11:14 PM

Thank you Alan! Best of luck with everything! I hope this column will continue to be as great as it was with you in charge!

Posted by Gregory Thanopoulos January 21, 11 11:22 PM

All the best to you Alan. you made big picture really so big. i always admire your fantastic work. we will miss you.

Posted by Yusuf January 21, 11 11:32 PM

If there was a Pulitzer level prize for the work you do, you've earned it. An impressive, inspirational array of photos that leave you breathless, crying, praying and singing all at once.

Best wishes,
Basel

Posted by Basel January 21, 11 11:38 PM

#22 is like the story of Hachiko

Posted by test January 22, 11 12:03 AM

#22 really moved me... Loyal Dog

Posted by Weilson January 22, 11 12:11 AM

noooooo, please dont leave...
thanks though, it's been great! best wishes to you

Posted by tom January 22, 11 12:43 AM

Wow. The earth needs to be respected. What utter power!
Thanks so much for all your work Alan. We will miss you!

Posted by Kitty January 22, 11 12:47 AM

Very sad pictures and I feel sorry for all the people who were affected by this disaster. Is it me or are there more natural disasters happening around the world in the last 5 years?
I won't to say that Al Gore is right about climatic changes but I makes you wonders why so many unnecessary death and destruction are happening lately.
I wonder what happened to the dog in picture #22? I hope someone adopted her. Dog are really loyal animals.
#25, I goes to show you that humans has a good side. Even a rabbit is worth rescuing.
I won't be surprise if Brazil rebuilds everything before the end of the year. Unlike Haiti which in my humble opinion is destined to be a basket case.
I guess Baby Doc Duvalier wants some of that millions donated to end up in his pocket. All those money donated and nothing to show for it.

Posted by Jacques Mers January 22, 11 12:52 AM

Thank you Alan you did a big job. You brought the contradictions our common planet into focus, seen from every one. Best wishes ahead!

Posted by Marie-Claire January 22, 11 01:14 AM

To all those affected by the terrible disaster in Brazil i send you my warmest thoughts.Very sad and very tragic....

Posted by Michael January 22, 11 01:15 AM

Alan, you had a brilliant idea and have executed it wonderfully over these past however many years. Thank you and good luck in your future endeavors!

Posted by Nick January 22, 11 01:21 AM

Thank you, Alan! I have really enjoyed your feature. Best wishes.

Posted by Sue January 22, 11 02:12 AM

Many thanks for your great work, Alan!
Best wishes from Switzerland

Posted by Michelle January 22, 11 02:16 AM

Alan, thank you for so much hard work. Not only have the collections you've put together been fantastic, but it's a treat and a privilege to get to view the actual *big pictures* (990px wide!) that make up The Big Picture, as opposed to most news sites, which generally publish their pics at around 400 to 600px wide. As a serious amateur photographer myself, I appreciate the larger versions so that I can more clearly see and enjoy the detail of each picture.

Thanks for everything, and good luck.

Posted by Howiseelife.com January 22, 11 02:36 AM

Well I been coming to this site for a long while thank you Alan...for all the great work and good luck on your move...My the lord bless you on your walk...

Posted by moeshere Foxdale January 22, 11 02:48 AM

#22 Killed me.

Posted by Paulo January 22, 11 02:51 AM

Alan, you have no clue as to how much your work has been enjoyed and respected. In fact, you have more fans than Lady Gaga!! So happy trails, bud.

Posted by Ned January 22, 11 03:59 AM

We will miss your fantastic work, Alan.

Best wishes From Gaza -Palestine

Posted by Wasim Fatair January 22, 11 04:27 AM

I'm watching the Big Photo for half of a year now.
It is amazing, to see all of the world-class photoreportage photos, i can learn so much from it.

Thanks a lot Alan!

Greetings from Poland

Posted by Jonatan January 22, 11 04:54 AM

Moving photos from the Brazilian tragedy. My thoughts are with them.

Thanks Alan and best of luck!

Posted by adrianh January 22, 11 05:08 AM

I look at 24 and ask myself - Did he lose someone? What will this man do next? Did he owe money for his house that disappeared?

This tragedy really puts my worries in perspective.

Posted by Bulgarian January 22, 11 05:26 AM

Mucha Suerte Alan !!! mucha surete en tu proximo trabajo

Posted by Luis Garza January 22, 11 05:52 AM

ALAN, AS FOTOS BEM EXECUTADAS, MOSTRAM UMA PEQUENA PARTE DE TODA NOSSA TRAGÉDIA CONSIDERADA A MAIOR DA NATUREZA. NOSSA LUTA É ENORME! FELIZMENTE É UM POVO SOLIDÁRIO. AGORA ENCABEÇO A LUTA PARA SALVAR OS ANIMAS, PRINCIPALMENTE CÃES PARA SEREM ADOTADOS PQ PERDERAM SEUS DONOS. OBRIGADO . SOU DE MARICÁ/RJ.

Posted by UHLAND SCHIEFER January 22, 11 06:06 AM

i'm afraid it's bad news for the "readers" of this phblog and i hope it's good news for you - thank you very much mr. Taylor.

brgds from the Baltic states

Posted by augis January 22, 11 06:15 AM

Fuerza Brasil en este duro momento.

Alan, good luck and thanks for your amazing job here.

Posted by Martín Sánchez January 22, 11 06:22 AM

good luck Alan, and thank you for what you have done here

Posted by Stachu January 22, 11 06:26 AM

May God grant the dead eternal rest

Posted by SAnnet January 22, 11 06:39 AM

First of all, Alan good luck on your next challanges and congratulations for your great job done here. Big picture you did.

Go head Brazil, let´s face this tragedy using our strong fraternity to easy the pain of the victms

Posted by Luciano January 22, 11 06:40 AM

Congratulations on the excellent work! You will be missed here in Brazil too.

Posted by Eduardo Deboni January 22, 11 07:13 AM

Thank you, Alan! Always enjoyed your blog entries.
All the best to you on your new endeavors.

Posted by Peter January 22, 11 07:35 AM

Thank you for your amazing work Alan! I wish you all the best!

Posted by gn January 22, 11 08:16 AM

Thank you Alan - amazing work!

Posted by Anonymous January 22, 11 08:18 AM

Thank you Alan, and best of luck. These photos were wonderful, as usual

Posted by Carol Ann January 22, 11 08:23 AM

Alan Thanks a lot for your dedication to this feature, I cannot think of any other resource on the internet or media channels that can so dramatically set the true picture and pain at times of crisis free from the rhetoric or distortion of global politics. Likewise you know how to raise a good smile too when its needed. Hope your now posting is great if your replacements are half as good we will not be loosing out with your loss.

Posted by Adrian Walls January 22, 11 08:27 AM

Thanks and farewell Alan. This is one of the absolutely best sites on the web.

Best regards from Sweden

Posted by Måns January 22, 11 08:39 AM

Muchas gracias Alan por tu trabajo, ninguno habremos aprendido con estas fotos mas que tu, pero gracias por mostrarme como es el mundo sin moverme de mi escritorio.Recuerdalo. Te deseo lo mejor

Thanks Alan for your work. You have learned about the world more than us, but thanks for show me how the world is without moving my desk.Remember this.I wish you the best.

Posted by Sam January 22, 11 08:41 AM

Thank you Alan for this journey around the globe ; you have done such a great work here.

Posted by rina ch January 22, 11 08:42 AM

looking forward to what you do at the Atlantic! great work sir!

Posted by nate parker January 22, 11 08:52 AM

Thanks for all of your amazing work, Alan. Truly an inspiration.

Posted by Hal January 22, 11 09:21 AM

Thank you very much Alan for all the interesting, moving, thought-provoking, beautiful entries you have posted. You will be missed a lot!

Posted by wam January 22, 11 09:49 AM

Alan - you have done an amazing job with big picture. Truly thankful for the work you put into it, I think it's one of the best things on the internet. Thanks and looking forward to seeing what else you do in the future, let the big picture viewers know!

Posted by AlexandriaVA January 22, 11 09:53 AM

Good news, Keith Olberman fired! Bad news: Alan is leaving Big Picture. :-( Thank you for all your creative work, and for taking a lot of heat with the praise. Wish you all the best in the future.

Posted by Ta da January 22, 11 10:02 AM

Thanks, Alan! The Big Picture has always provided a deeper view into the news that I read about weekly as well as the news that I don't really read about in the American media (and lots of fun pictures to boot!). I hope the Globe staff can continue in that vein, to keep a different perspective on the news, and I'm looking forward to your next project.

Posted by Noah January 22, 11 10:29 AM

Thanks Allan for all!

Posted by Mario Galan January 22, 11 10:36 AM

I'm at a loss for words. But hope that those who have suffered can find the strength to rebuild their lives.

Posted by Warren January 22, 11 10:55 AM

Thank you, Alan, for providing visual, compassionate world news. I've long appreciated your sharing these photos, particularly since I don't get television news (and it's excessively focused on politics anyway).

Posted by R January 22, 11 11:14 AM

MAKE SURE THEY CONTINUE THE MONTHLY SERIES ON AFGHANISTAN

Posted by Anti-Imperialism January 22, 11 11:50 AM

many thanks Alan, wish you the best!
From France

Posted by victor January 22, 11 11:50 AM

Thank you so much Alen for taking me on so many amazing journeys over the years, best in live

Posted by Anonymous January 22, 11 11:52 AM

Alan your choices over the years have been very interesting. You've brought the world a lot of stories that would have otherwise remained undiscovered.

Hope you find what ever you're moving on to just as rewarding.

Posted by Matt January 22, 11 12:05 PM

Thank YOU Alan...
Lots of success, and happiness for you and those who surround you!

Posted by Carlitros January 22, 11 12:07 PM

Thank you Alan for Boston Big Picture.

While it will go on it certainly won't be the same. Your arrangements and editorial eye made the stories sing.

Good luck to you in where ever life takes you next!

Posted by Gigi January 22, 11 12:13 PM

Your work on this site is truly incredible Alan. You will be missed!

Posted by Paul January 22, 11 12:15 PM

Alan, you put the 'big' in the Big Picture and now you will be sorely missed. You have inspired thousands of viewers with your selections, and I'm sure you've been an inspiration for others like myself who have discovered a newfound interest in photojournalism. For this, I salute you.

Good luck!

Posted by Kenneth January 22, 11 12:17 PM

Thanks for bringing life to stories around the world, Alan. Good luck in your endeavors.

Posted by Jon January 22, 11 12:23 PM

So strong these images! They just show exactly what happened here, in Brazil. Help needed for Rio!

Posted by Pedro January 22, 11 12:45 PM

I've recommended this site to more people than any other site, and I really appreciate the work that has been done here. Thanks for your contribution, Alan, and I'll be looking forward to your work in The Atlantic as well.

Posted by Martin Levenson January 22, 11 12:59 PM

We'll miss you, Alan!! God bless you!

Posted by Kalesh January 22, 11 01:24 PM

Congratulation, Alan

This has been a very good job
I've always admired this blog

Hope to hear from you soon
Greetings
and an infinite love from Chile
with Jaque Neoliberalism

Posted by mamvas January 22, 11 01:26 PM

Heck, sorry to see you go, but thanks for all the amazing pictures. Best wishes, rb

Posted by arby January 22, 11 01:44 PM

Thank you Alan, for showing us some many amazing photos, with such a clear professional view.
Our world is a bigger world because of you, too.
We'll miss you.

Posted by Filipe Abreu January 22, 11 01:50 PM

Alan, thanks so much for all the amazing photos over the years. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

Praying for the victims of the landslide.

Posted by Kate Crough January 22, 11 02:01 PM

Good job Alan and thank you!

Posted by Raul January 22, 11 02:30 PM

Thanks for all the hard work compiling the Big Picture Alan, have always enjoyed it. Good luck with your next venture.

Posted by Andrew January 22, 11 02:42 PM

Really hard to look at so very very sad

Posted by Burch January 22, 11 03:14 PM

Alan, thanks for all your work. This one was a great example of what you have been doing all along: bringing the news to life with pictures. I now have a better appreciation for the tragedy of landslides. My sympathies to the victims.

Posted by Andy January 22, 11 03:50 PM

Imagenes muy dolorosas
Fuerza a todo el pueblo brasilero y a los cariocas especialmente en estos momentos! desde Argentina.

Posted by Hernan January 22, 11 03:57 PM

Alan, you could not have done a better job. Good luck for the future!

Posted by Giacomo January 22, 11 04:05 PM

Love big pictures, they are excellent!

Posted by GL January 22, 11 05:22 PM

Força Brasil, a Venezuela está com você...!

Alan, best wishes for you. Let us know where will be your next assignment.

Posted by Juantxon January 22, 11 05:33 PM

You did such a great job, Alan... Thank you :)
I wish you all the best for the future!

Posted by Claudi from Germany January 22, 11 05:34 PM

Amazing pics!!! And good luck, Alan! :)

Posted by Linda Murúa January 22, 11 07:52 PM

Alan, your work will be sadly missed. You have done such a fantastic job bringing us the world via photography over the years and I am so sad to see you go. Thank you for sharing your talent and the world with us. Best wishes to you wherever you may go.

Posted by Debra Jones January 22, 11 08:14 PM

wow

Posted by Anonymous January 22, 11 08:30 PM

Alan, Thank you for all your efforts. Wish you well as you move on

Posted by Chris D from Australia January 22, 11 08:34 PM

Good luck Alan! It has been great following your work these past years.

Posted by Stan January 22, 11 08:47 PM

I live in brazil and here we have been watching this kind of tragedy since 2006. Anyone needs to do something to stop it. Nice pictures as well, but the context is terrible. God bless all the famileis who lost people.

Posted by Leandro Cortiano ELias January 22, 11 09:17 PM

thanks alan! been following the blog for a while now and its one of the highlights of my week! best wishes

Posted by jen January 22, 11 09:29 PM

may Allah have mercy on their souls

in solidarity with the Brazilian people....

Posted by Mahmoud January 22, 11 09:51 PM

eh lamentavel ver essas imagem , mas o povo brasileiro eh gerreiro ,um coracao grande ..... japan rogerio

Posted by r fukita January 22, 11 11:00 PM

Thank you Alan. Your collections help me make sense of this world. All the best wherever you go next.

Posted by Erika January 22, 11 11:28 PM

I live in Nova Friburgo, one of the cities and this photos were taken in my neighbourhood. Thanks God, my apartament is ok. But it´s very sad to see my church, my friends and my work gone... Now, we´re receiving help and support from every city, from a lot of countries. I want to THANK every single person that help us. Red Cross is working here...

Posted by Marcelo January 22, 11 11:33 PM

Thank you Alan - and good luck with your next steps.
This is my favorite blog and have been following it for years.
Best wishes

Posted by Dean January 23, 11 01:49 AM

Condolences from Israel, may God be with you...
Pic #5 brought tears to my eyes..

Posted by Anonymous January 23, 11 01:52 AM

Alan, thanks for all your incredible photojournalistic work!

Posted by guasd January 23, 11 02:32 AM

Thank you Alan and I wish you all the best.........:)

Posted by Mahanand January 23, 11 03:19 AM

Our prayers are with you!

Posted by Jakub from Poland January 23, 11 03:49 AM

pic.22 hit me the most. Sad to see all this destruction. I Hope these people get the help they need to continue.

Hopefuly the Bigpicture quality will continue without you Alan, Good luck for the future.

Posted by Paddy January 23, 11 04:53 AM

You are gonna be missed Alan! Good luck in the future (Lycka till i framtiden)
With love from Malmö, Sweden.

Posted by Julia Berg January 23, 11 06:08 AM

i hope the quality of these pics dont end with the end of your term :((((

that would be the saddest picture of them all!!

Posted by niqabi January 23, 11 06:33 AM

Thanks Alan for your wonderful work on The Big Picture. Best wishes for what will be next for you.

Posted by Thierry January 23, 11 06:53 AM

From Rio de Janeiro / Brasil,
One may say, it's a lack of weather forecasts, it's deadly wrong.
People without minimum education don't know anything about geology, build their home where they shoudn't, and pay money to stay there. It's corruption, incompetence and disrespect to environment. Many decades of this.
These rains and deaths happens every year, this year were of course more water.
As poor the forest becomes the soil gets , the runoff is faster in surface, because water should be assimilated by trees. One tree assimilates at least 70% of water that falls over. Roots make soil absorb water.
It's not that nature is angry, it's results of human acts.
In order to understand, there is less then 2% of original forest in Rio de Janeiro. Almost every tree you can see in this photos are recomposition, not the actual system. If there is no system (ecological), it's not stable.
You can't destroy a System and put "trees" in the same place, and say it's Ok.
An of course, government institutions that should watch where people are building don't really care about. There were and there is lack of shame in leaving people destroy rainforest, and build houses where they could die.

So there is government corruption and ignorance that kills.

I must thank every one that feels bad about and helps as possible, but we should also understand the Real story behind the facts, make it visible and discuss this problems, in order to avoid deaths next year.

Posted by Fernando Carvalho January 23, 11 07:01 AM

Devastating.

All the best Alan.

Posted by Tom McLean January 23, 11 07:05 AM

Alan,

Best of luck at The Atlantic! Thanks for the Big Picture. This blog has upped the bar for editorial photos on the net.

Posted by Andy January 23, 11 07:11 AM

Thanks for the consistently excellent source of photo-news! All the best

Posted by Stephan January 23, 11 07:29 AM

very intersting thank u for your amazing work thak u so mush

Posted by velu January 23, 11 07:33 AM

Não sei nem dizer o que se passa...Mas, com certeza teremos que cuidar
urgente da nossa terra, basta de tragédias que a natureza já está cansada
e nós urgentemente temos que nos mobilizar para preservar! Obrigada, suas imagens nos dizem quanto estamos abusando da boa vontade dessa terra que nos dá tudo...

Posted by Kitamura, Mitsuko January 23, 11 07:52 AM

Merci pour toutes ces merveilleuses photos.

Thx for so many amazing photos. Great job ! Good luck for your next adventures.

Philippe
Bagnères de Bigorre ( close Spain border ) France

Posted by Anonymous January 23, 11 07:53 AM

As a brazilian, a shiver ran down my spine while I saw this post.. It was terribly sad and we must understand it as another signal of nature. Something is really wrong.

---

Alan, I wish you the best. Big Picture is one of the most relevant blog of
photojournalism. Success, brother, anywhere you go.

Posted by Luciano Stabel January 23, 11 08:14 AM

Thank you, Alan. You made this webpage famous all over the world.
Excellent job, best wishes and good luck !

Posted by anton / slovakia January 23, 11 08:33 AM

Whoever takes your place, Alan, has a very large footprint to fill. I have so enjoyed your choices over the years. Blessings to you for whatever you are tackling next.

Posted by annie morgan January 23, 11 08:49 AM

Best wishes, Alan! Thanks for lots of great entries :) I've been following this blog for a while now, and I really enjoy it!

Posted by Claudette January 23, 11 09:49 AM

FEEL VERY SORRY

Posted by SAMEER M January 23, 11 10:33 AM

I´ve cried when the bad news started, and was only 48 casualites, now I just can`t believe becouse last news talk about 800 people kill by the storm..., hope some comfort to the ones who scape....

Posted by jgsimper January 23, 11 10:39 AM

Thank you for your great work!
Greetings from Greece.

Posted by Lefteris Polakis January 23, 11 10:43 AM

Muchas gracias por compartir estas fotos que son una pequeña muestra de lo que los cambios en el clima estan y van a afectarnos en los próximos años debido a la falta de previsión.

Mi sentido pésame por las víctimas de éste desastre natural.

Saludos desde Guatemala.

Posted by Floyd Davis January 23, 11 10:56 AM

That's a horrible disaster.

Alan, thank you for making this one of my favorite blogs over your time here- best of luck with everything!

Posted by Bec January 23, 11 12:03 PM

Thank you Alan. I have enjoyed your photos, and your skillful editing, very much. May the future bring back to you the richness you have shared with others.

Posted by Caroline January 23, 11 12:13 PM

Thank you for each and every album you have created for us. I hope, we will be able to follow you at somewhere else soon. Best wishes from Turkey.

Posted by Alper January 23, 11 12:34 PM

Dear Alan,
thank you for your wonderful work and best wishes to you for a good and safe journey through life from
Gabriele in Munich, Germany

Posted by g.h. January 23, 11 12:51 PM

Amazing pictures that give us a slight idea of what has happened to the people of Teresópolis, Nova Friburgo, Petrópolis, Sumidouro and nearby cities in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
What really saddens me is the fact that huge floods and landslides have been happening in Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Santa Catarina and other Brazilian states every year in the last decades.
This was definitely the most powerful natural disaster there has been in our country, with the biggest number of injured, dead and homeless people left after the catastrophe. However, it is not at all surprising to any Brazilian the fact that there were floods and landslides in this area during the month of January, Brazilian summer, when it usually rains a lot in the Brazilian southeast and south.
What our government must do is pay more attention to weather forecast and be able to warn the population - as seen elsewhere around the world -, provide them with shelters they could go to BEFORE the disaster takes place, in order to avoid so many losses.
It rained much more in Australia than in Brazil this year. Nevertheless, hundreds - maybe thousands - of people died here, while in Australia, around a dozen. This fact shows the lack of investiments of the Brazilian government in weather forecast, housing and preventing disasters. It also depicts the lack of importance and respect the Brazilian population has to their governments.
It's time they did something to prevent so many casualties every summer in a state in Brazil due to flooding, landsliding and other rainstorm-related catastrophes.
I am Brazilian, from the city of Rio de Janeiro, and luckily my father, stepmother, uncle, aunt and cousins - who live in Teresópolis - went through this episode unharmed, except for the blackout, water shortage and inability to communicate through the phone or cellphones during a week or so.
My family was lucky this year, but I can't predict what is going to happen to us next year. What I do know is that some cities in the Brazilian southeast will be once again devastated by the rain in the summer, thousands of people will be left homeless, hundreds will die and others will be severely injured.
If I am sure about that, being only 26 years old, I suppose our governors, a lot more experienced than myself, might know about this as well, so why not taking some action in order to avoid such facts and figures?
A guy named Jacques mentioned above he believes with all the will power and sympathy Brazilians have been showing lately, he thinks Teresópolis, Petrópolis and Nova Friburgo will be rebuilt within a year.
I don't doubt it eather, but within two years, they may need our help again, for the same reason. Or the people from Paraná, or Espírito Santo, or Santa Catarina, or any other place in the Brazilian south or southeast. That is extremely frustrating.

Posted by Luciana Sá January 23, 11 12:59 PM

So bad that the beautiful mountains have caused so much sorrow to the people..
Thank you Alan for your work.

Posted by Shivananda January 23, 11 01:06 PM

Thank you Alan for the exceptional work you have done with this blog! Best wishes for your next chapters!

Posted by Anhstein January 23, 11 01:23 PM

Sir, you will be missed. Thanks for the great insight into the world.

Posted by stu January 23, 11 01:29 PM

Thanks for the fun Alan. Good luck!

Posted by Jomskylark January 23, 11 02:13 PM

Thank you Alan, you've done a terrific job. All the best!

Posted by Teun January 23, 11 03:18 PM

Dear Alan, thank you for this amazing work. It is one of my favorite websites and as teacher it is one of the best sites to show my students what is going on in the world. All the best for you.
Wolfgang from Graz/Austria

Posted by Wolfgang Ölzant January 23, 11 03:34 PM

Alan, thank you. You did a wonderful job, every single series touched me just before realizing once again, how beautiful Life is.

Keep up the great work, Greetings from Germany.

Posted by Leo January 23, 11 03:51 PM

Alan, thank You for this fantastic project! Your choice of subjects and photos show a very diverse and rich world we live in! Best of luck on Your future projects! All the best to You!

Posted by Aksel January 23, 11 03:53 PM

"An effect is what happens as a result of the cause"

I think that Amazon deforestation may be part of the cause of this.

Posted by Nobody January 23, 11 04:08 PM

Good luck Alan and thanks for everything you did here.

Posted by Daniel January 23, 11 04:15 PM

Quero expressar a minha solidariedade, e compartilho com todo o povo brasileiro a dor de tão imensa tragédia. Como povo alegre, positivo, e sempre de alto astral, tenho a certeza de que vão superar da melhor forma as dificuldades porque passam. Um abraço Português para o Brasil

Posted by Fernando Machado January 23, 11 04:42 PM

Alan, thank you for creating my favorite place on the Internet. In this series number 22 with the little dog was a stunner. Best Wishes as you move along.

Posted by John January 23, 11 04:48 PM

Thanks for your work, Alan. Your work has always given realistic and amazing insights to the world.

Posted by Mike January 23, 11 04:56 PM

So sad to see the sufferings of the people and nature, again. Especially,
as #247 wrote, it is all about forest cropping and short term thinking.
Dear Alan, my deep respect for your efforts you made to share with us all these photoblogs, they spoke from the center of the given topic, more clearly and loud than thousands of words. Best wishes from Hungary

Posted by Mahala January 23, 11 05:06 PM

If you want to help out, the Boston University Brazilian Association is having a fundraiser. Please contact brasilbu@gmail.com for more information.

Posted by Luiza January 23, 11 05:14 PM

Thank you Alan, I have been in awe over the selection of images from Big Picture for over two years now and will continue to visit.
Wishing you all the best!

Posted by @jdeplater January 23, 11 05:19 PM

Thank you for all the great photos! greetings from Sydney, Australia.

Posted by Carlos Martinez January 23, 11 05:28 PM

Alan -

Thank you so much for all the work you've done in putting these photos together the last few years. I've been following for at least 2 years now, and I can certainly say the adage is true that "a picture is worth 1,000 words". When so many stories have come through the "news pipes", I always try to see what is on The Big Picture, as these pictures are what speaks to my soul and help me to respond emotionally to what is happening in this world, after reading the stories. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making this happen! Best of luck in your next endeavor.

Cat Gordon
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Posted by Cat January 23, 11 05:31 PM

Thanks so much Alan. Always a joy to find a new post from you. More than a few will miss you here in California! Best of luck!

Posted by Sarah January 23, 11 05:37 PM

Un grand MERCI Alan pour ce travail remarquable. Bonne chance à vous pour l'avenir. En espérant que cette ligne éditoriale reste la même.

Posted by Richeton Daniel January 23, 11 05:46 PM

its sad, to say the least, but to put blame on people is ignorant. heavy rains, is what caused this mudslides. END OF STORY. A tradgety, I SEND my prayers. The people of BRAZIL are a proud, intelligent and VERY capable people they will prevail!!
davina

Posted by davina theriaque January 23, 11 06:34 PM

Thank You!
Nice!!

Posted by Yao January 23, 11 07:10 PM

great work Alan.
all the best.
elena

Posted by elena January 23, 11 07:12 PM

Thanks so much Alan, I really cannot praise this blog highly enough as an excellent source of news - well rounded and edited to show the humanity and individual stories behind the headline - and often a brilliant showcase of photographic art. I wish the new editor all the very best and hope this blog continues to showcase the the world's finest photojournalism.

Posted by Martin Lambie January 23, 11 08:20 PM

Thank you for all the amazing pictures, Alan.

Good luck!

Posted by Tina January 23, 11 10:06 PM

Alan. You will be missed! The photos you've posted have been a staple of my life for the last few years. Thank you for helping me see the world in a new way.

Posted by Shannon Tucker January 23, 11 11:36 PM

Its amazing works you have given to us, you made us see what is happening to our world. Thanks Alan.

And my sympathy and prayers to all Brazilian victims.

Posted by Brendon January 24, 11 12:00 AM

may God give the courage and the strength to all the Brazilian Brothers and sisters to face this difficult time.

A message from ME on the behalf of whole Pakistani nation......

Posted by Waqas Noor January 24, 11 02:05 AM

Thank you so much for these great pictures that kept us informed. All the best from South Africa.

Posted by Jackie January 24, 11 03:42 AM

Thanks, Alan! It was incredible.

Posted by marijn January 24, 11 04:15 AM

Excellent work Alan !

I whish you the best !

Posted by Teo January 24, 11 04:30 AM

Thank you, Alan!
Good luck.

Posted by Stefan January 24, 11 04:51 AM

Un abrazo Alan!

Posted by mardoqueo January 24, 11 05:44 AM

Thank you Alan for this extraordinary work!

Posted by G January 24, 11 06:18 AM

Thank you Alan for all the amazing pictures blogs that made my days. Wish you all the very best in your future endeavours :)

Posted by Gaurav January 24, 11 06:28 AM

very hard to to see these images :(

Posted by Nishant January 24, 11 07:08 AM

Hey Alan, thanks for giving us such great work.

Is it possible for the guys now in charge to tell us where Alan is going to work next?

Nestor Monterrubio
Saltillo, Mexico

Posted by Néstor Monterrubio January 24, 11 07:12 AM

Brazil is very similar to Indonesia, has a lot of tropical forests that need to be preserved for the continuity of the earth's ecosystems. To the victims of the disaster I'm sorry, hopefully given the fortitude, amen

Posted by Adri Kampret January 24, 11 08:04 AM

Thanks Alan!! Your collection of pictures have always been a great inspiration....

Posted by Akin Samuel January 24, 11 08:16 AM

Please, read the comment #247, it says everything people needs to understand about what's happening in Brazil: It is corruption and ignorance. The government shouldn't avoid deaths, it should take care of its citizens' life instead.

Thanks for you all who feels sad, and helps as you can. But we must show the world not only our good hearts and strong hands, we must make them hear our voices: it's enough! Do it right, or you will not last longer taking care of my people.

Thank you so much.

Posted by Natalia Oliveira. January 24, 11 09:18 AM

Oh, thank you for these amazing photos.
They crunch the heart, boggle the mind, keeps us humble, and makes us pray.
Without your pictures I would have never seen the devistation. Thank you again.
Eve
You can follow on Twitter EvenCool

Posted by EvenCool January 24, 11 10:10 AM

This is one of the best thing I've seen at journalism so far. Congratulations!

Posted by Daniel January 24, 11 10:58 AM

This has been the best blog ever, Alan I hope they will continue to make it as quailty as you did.
Best hopes for you in your next adventure!
Peace!

Posted by Grumpytech January 24, 11 11:31 AM

Thank you Alan, good luck and thank you for keeping us informed of our world!

Posted by Chris January 24, 11 11:31 AM

Alan, I'm going to miss much.

Posted by Javier January 24, 11 11:53 AM

É muito impressionante essa sensação, pois por tantas vezes vi neste mesmo site fotos de outras tragédias parecidas, mas desta vez esta aconteceu em meu país, numa realidade que choca e me emociona.

Thanks for your sensitive eye that already is characteristic. God have mercy on us!

Posted by Livia January 24, 11 12:00 PM

Good luck with your live Alan. U did a great job here.
TT from Brazil.

Posted by Thiago T. January 24, 11 12:01 PM

Thank you, Alan for all the wonderful trip I did with you !
Good luck.

Merci Alan pour les merveilleux voyages que j'ai fait avec toi. Bonne chance

Posted by Gilbert (France) January 24, 11 12:15 PM

My solidirity to all Brazilian brothers. Thanks for all the great job you have done Alan! Good luck and succes in all your future projects!

Posted by Rodrigo January 24, 11 12:30 PM

Alan, thank you so much for your work. This blog is one of the best things the internet has to offer. Good luck for your future!

Posted by Mark January 24, 11 12:36 PM

Great job Alan!!
Thanks for your time.

And help for the amazing country Brazil!!

Posted by nuria January 24, 11 12:40 PM

EL reportaje estuve excelente. Dificil de mirar, es duro ver la realidad de esa gente en un minimo porcentaje y no poder hacer nada.
Buenas fotos, gracias.

Posted by amenlugo January 24, 11 12:46 PM

Alan, Best of Luck! I've never posted before, but wanted to say THANK you for the spectacular assortment of photos over the years. Your replacement has large shoes to fill!

Posted by Jennifer January 24, 11 12:47 PM

Alan. Thank you for your work with the Big Picture. This is the best photo-blog there is because of your hard work and dedication. I wish you the best in the future, and thanks again for all the stunning photographs and journalism.

Posted by Kman January 24, 11 12:53 PM

Thanks Alan.

Posted by Will January 24, 11 01:12 PM

Sorry to see you go Alan. Your work on this blog has been nothing less than spectacular.

Posted by ben wiseley January 24, 11 01:38 PM

Moving on?!?! I sure hope The Big Picture continues your hard work. Everything is always so amazingly honest and uncensored. Also, would love to know what some of your future work entails. Do you have a personal blog or something where we can check in on you from time to time?

Posted by Paul January 24, 11 02:10 PM

Thank you, Alan! You have done an amazing job!
I wish you the best of luck in your new position.
I hope our paths cross again...

Posted by FSMarch January 24, 11 02:18 PM

Dear Alan,

You truly touched us, amazed us, and kept us in touch, and provoked thoughts. Thank you and please let us know, at least once on this post, to where and what function you are transitioning. Would love to continue to follow your work.

Posted by Yong (CA/USA) January 24, 11 02:21 PM

Greetings Alan,
Just want to give you a million thanks for being the managing editor of this photo blog. I don't recall how l stumbled into it a couple of years ago, but it has kept me going back for more. With some really amazing pictures, you can tell a story that is sometimes gut-wrenching, and other times, heart-warming.

I hope the Globe Photo Dept can maintain the same high quality job you have done over the years. I wish you and them much luck.

Posted by RayChicago January 24, 11 02:46 PM

Sem palavras para descrever tamanha furia da natureza.

Posted by João Batista Xavier January 24, 11 02:46 PM

Best of luck to you, Alan, on whatever the next chapter is for you. I've loved the collections you've put together as well as your commentary. Cheers!

Posted by Erin January 24, 11 03:21 PM

thanks Alan .... it was great time with you here. Don´t forget on Brazil through this.

Posted by zida January 24, 11 03:30 PM

#22 breaks my heart. It's all sad, and my thoughts go out to those who lost their lives, but there is something very heartwrenching and innocent about that dog and its loyalty to sit there for days on end.

Posted by Ryan January 24, 11 04:00 PM

Obrigado, Alam, pelas boas e chocantes imagem que destrui região Serrando do Rio

Posted by Gaetano Roberto Miceli January 24, 11 05:29 PM

I hope people rebuild their lives in peace.

Posted by Vico January 24, 11 05:32 PM

Que Deus tenha compaixão e coforte o coração dessas pessoas que tanto estão sofrendo com perda de vidas e materiais com essa tragédia no Rio de Janeiro!!!!

Posted by Eduardo January 24, 11 06:38 PM

Dear Alan,

Thanks very much for an amazing blog. Your wide ranging collection of photos has brought in a gradually wider audience discovering week after week the plights and joys of others, and in the process making us all seem closer.

This is a community like no other, a truly unique place on the internet.

Good luck with your next endeavour.

Posted by WHWR January 24, 11 07:31 PM

Animo BRASIL,MEXICO ESTA CONTIGO.¡¡¡

Posted by mario duarte January 24, 11 08:07 PM

Fernando Carvalho, I agree with you 100% on all but weather forecast. You said “One may say, it's a lack of weather forecasts, it's deadly wrong.”
With all the respect I say you are the one deadly wrong about that.
It’s a shame, but who knows how many lives would have been spared if we had a good weather forecasting system? And I’m not talking about cutting edge technology here. Just a good one. Unfortunately ours is lagging behind the rest of the world. You probably don’t know that.
By the way I’m Brazilian too, from Minas Gerais.

Posted by Lu January 24, 11 09:05 PM

.I KNOW THE THREE CITIES WELL.MY WIFE´s FAMILY IS FROM NOVA FRIBURGO.COLONIZED MAINLY BY SWISS PEOPLE ,WITH MANY TYPOGRAPHIES AND MANY LADIES CLOTHING MANUFACTORIES.BEAUTIFUL HOMES WIDE STREETS AND A CONSIDERED HIGH LEVEL LIVING ECONOMY.---TEREZOPOLIS,BESIDES ITS BEAUTIFUL LANDSCAPE ISKNOWN FOR ITS CLOTHING PRODUCTION, CAKES ,COOKIES AND MEDICAL SCHOOL.LARGE HOMES ,WELL KNOWN FRUIT AND VEGETABLES.---PETOPOLIS IS CALLED THE IMPERIAL CITY.THE EMPEROR LIVED MOST OF HIS LIFE AND HIS PALACE IS THE IMPERIAL PALACE MUSEUM OF BRAZIL.LARGE CLOTHING COMMERCE AND TISSUE INDUSTRIES.MAGNIFICENT RESIDENCES, AND DUE TOITS PROXIMITY TO RIO DE JANEIRO MANY PEOPLE COMMUTE BETWEEN PETROPOLIS AND RIO .I AM ONE OF THEESE!._DEAR FRIEDS, WEARE SUFFERING FOR THE LARGE LOSS OF HOMES AND ENORMOUS LOSS OF PEOPLE,(CALLED BROTHERS BY US ).WE KNOW WE WILL NEVER RECUPERATE OUR BROTHERS, HOWEVER WITH TE HELP OF PEOPLE SINCERE POSITIONING OF GOVERNORS AND PRICIPALLY THE PROTECTON OFGOD AND OUR LADY OF APARECIDA PROTECTOR OF BRAZIL THATWILL BE GIVING FORCES TO REBUILT WHAT WAS LOST IN THE THREE IMPORTANT CITIES OR THE STATE OF RIO DE JANEIRO.URL.

Posted by AMILCAR WERNECK de C.VIANNA January 24, 11 09:49 PM

You guys congrat the "alan" for the photos ? pff
send help.

Posted by Felipe Saraya January 24, 11 10:34 PM

This world is crashing down :(

Posted by Tommy January 25, 11 03:13 AM

Farewell Alan! We'll miss u.

Posted by Sabarish January 25, 11 03:45 AM

Alan...
thank you very much!!

Good Luck with your new assignement

Posted by Federico Modica Photographer January 25, 11 05:49 AM

Als je ziet wat natuurgeweld kan aanrichten vraag je je af waarom is er nog steeds oorlog in deze wereld. Mogen deze mensen de kracht vinden om dit een plaats in hun leven te geven. Heel veel sterkte!

Posted by A. van Reenen January 25, 11 05:54 AM

Dear Alan,
Thank you for your wonderful work . Good luck and thanks for everything you did here.

Posted by Oktay January 25, 11 08:20 AM

My heart and prayers are with you BRAZIL!!! ( meu querido Brazil)

Posted by RB January 25, 11 08:50 AM

O caminho da felicidade ainda é triste, é um caminho estreito em meio a selva triste ...

Posted by Marcelo Alves - Belo Horizonte/MG - Brasil January 25, 11 10:13 AM

Ironically, the sign over the door in photo #30 reads "Here lives a warrior.".

To that warrior: wherever you are, I wish you the best of luck on your battles ahead.

Posted by Patrique Riepe January 25, 11 10:24 AM

Nossos governantes merecem cadeia.
São verdadeiros assassinos em potêncial!.
O Brasil está marcado pelo luto, conseqüente da indiferença de nossos políticos corruptos.

Posted by Eliane Borges Pimenta January 25, 11 10:59 AM

Alan, thanks for your blog, I'm a regular visitor, all the best in your new projects. We will miss you.

My best wishes to the people of Brasil, from Argentina, this was a very sad tragedy, but we have to stay strong for a better future in South America.

Posted by Reggie January 25, 11 10:59 AM

Alan! Keep in touch and make us amaze as ever! Good luck at your new journey, you gave us a great space to see the world. I hope to have notices from you!!

Posted by Mariana Rocha January 25, 11 10:59 AM

That is one lucky home owner in picture 28!

Posted by Laurenleep January 25, 11 11:03 AM

Que não tirem dos sobreviventes a esperança, pois pode ser a única coisa que sobrou para eles. Como disse o comentario acima, nossos corações e orações estão com voces

Posted by marcia vana January 25, 11 11:57 AM

Sorry to see you go Alan. The photos were absolutely unbelievable. The destruction has been made very clear to me with your wonderful photos of what has happened in Brazil.

Posted by C. Ferdinandsen January 25, 11 12:42 PM

This is terrible. I live next to Nova Friburgo.... Unbelieveble!!!

Posted by Matheus Rangel -Brazilian January 25, 11 04:10 PM

Gracias, Alan, por la BigPicture! Los mejores deseos para tu carrera. Un abrazo,
Guillermo, de Bariloche, Argentina

Posted by Guillermo Abramson January 25, 11 05:14 PM

T-E-R-R-I-B-LE!! S-A-D

Posted by Anonymous January 25, 11 05:46 PM

Novo Friburgo, Petropolis and Teresopolis were beautiful towns when I visited
them in 1996. Such lush nature everywhere will always be in my mind and now I see what has happened after this disaster I am very sad for all those poor people.
I wish that all inhabitants there are comforted somehow for all their sufferings.
May they be spared of any future disasters of this kind!

I am very fortunate to live in Switzerland and count my blessings every day.

Posted by Robert Weber January 25, 11 05:58 PM

I have a good friend who would like to adopt the dog in slide #22. Can you help us locate the dog?

Thank you very much!

Posted by Greg McDonald January 25, 11 06:04 PM

A tristeza que sinto é tamanha que não consigo comentar! Obrigada Alan por seu trabalho. Leuce Maria Pessoa Raposo - Cidade do RJ.

Posted by Leuce Maria Pessoa Raposo January 26, 11 12:00 AM

I am very sad , let together praying so the God will give you better . We all of Indonesian people hope the accident will stop soon .
From: kandungramidi@yahoo.com

Posted by kandungramidi January 26, 11 12:12 AM

thanks Alan your work has been great for the Brazillians we are sorry for the loses and may they have courage to face the future

Posted by Noel Lemuya January 26, 11 06:49 AM

Que DEUS receba os que morreram e fortaleça os que sobreviveram. Caruaru -PE, Brasil

Posted by Libio Maciel Filho January 26, 11 11:57 AM

Wow...no. 8 and no. 22 are so incredibly sad. But I guess they're all sad though... have to admit that 25 was kind of humorous!

Excellent photojournalism.

Posted by Natalie January 26, 11 12:03 PM

TOTALMETE UN HORROR .FUERZA

Posted by ALDO January 26, 11 01:06 PM

Thank you, Alan! Thank you, Boston Globe! You give us the world.

Posted by Irma January 26, 11 01:58 PM

Big Picture is a reference of photojournalism. I'm a photoreporter at Brasília, Brazil, and I recommend to every one who like photos.
Congratulations for your Big Work.

Posted by José Varella January 26, 11 02:02 PM

MUY BUENAS FOTOS ,GRAN TRABAJO,LASTIMA EL DOLOR DE BRASIL Y LA CATASTROFE DE LAS LLUVIAS.....DESDE MENDOZA, ARGENTINA

Posted by ALEJANDRA January 26, 11 03:49 PM

força para nós Brasil
Grande trabalhooo dos fotógrafos tambem.

Posted by Nick January 26, 11 08:10 PM

LAMENTÁVEL A TRAGÉDIA DE NOVA FRIBURGO. NUNCA PENSEI EM VER AQUELAS HORRÍVEIS IMAGENS , QUE APAVORARAM TODOS OS BRASILEIROS. UMA CIDADE TÃO LINDA, ONDE NOSSO IMPERADOR RESIDIU, NÃO MERECIA TAMANHA DESTRUIÇÃO E PERDER TANTOS HABITANTES. DEU PARA CHORAR MUITO. QUE DEUS RECEBA COM MUITO AMOR, TODOS OS QUE PARTIRAM, É O MEU GRANDE DESEJO.
Girlene Magalhães

Posted by Girlene Magalhães January 26, 11 08:26 PM

thats really really bad. so sad

Posted by ashish umare January 26, 11 11:16 PM

Thank you Alan, i hope big picture remains as it is. God bless you.
prayers for Brazil.

Posted by angela January 27, 11 12:09 AM

Ich bin erschüttert, auch ohne Ihre Sprache zu verstehen!
Arme Freunde in Brasilien!

Posted by Franz Bichler January 27, 11 04:00 AM

Existem regulamentos rígidos que regem as construções perto de encostas e de rios, enfim, de áreas de risco. Há todo um ritual burocrático para permitir-se construções, não só em áreas de risco, como em qualquer lugar. Há que ter-se PERMISSÃO DAS AUTORIDADES para qualquer tipo de construção. Será que havia estas autorizações? Será que os governos não deveriam ter proibido as construções? De quem será a CULPA?

Posted by Luiz Fernando de Almeida Lopes January 27, 11 06:53 AM

Strong images. Bad facts. Repeated scenes every year, some worse than others. What can I do? Pray is a good start. Donate is a great choice. See cruz vermelha in Brazil or donate to FAMPE (federation of neighborhoods associations of Petropolis). Be active.

Posted by Picolinha January 27, 11 10:41 AM

Alan Taylor- such a great job you have done on this blog!! Heard you will now be going to TheAtlantic.com and hosting your own blog there!! What fantastic news!

Posted by Mary January 27, 11 02:00 PM

30 - "Aqui mora um guerreiro"

Posted by Marcelo P. Guimarães Júnior January 27, 11 02:48 PM

Posted by Mary January 27, 11 05:18 PM

RIGHT

Posted by ADIL January 28, 11 07:07 AM

Very tragic pictures! May it never happen again, Miroslav, Serbia

Posted by Anonymous January 28, 11 07:25 AM

Posted by Jessica January 28, 11 02:09 PM

Hi there,
Thank you so much for posting these photos. I am a Brazilian native living in London and not being home at such delicate time is very difficult. Thankfully I didn't lose any relatives at the tragedy but I really wish I was there to help.

I'm glad these photos bring awareness to the dimension of such catastrophe even though looking at them can be quite disturbing.

May all the victims rest in peace and God bless their families.

Posted by Gabriel Ribeiro January 29, 11 12:11 AM

A foto com a Ludmila de Moura é realmente impactante, nos arrepia e emociona, imaginar o que estava passando na cabecinha dela naquela momento é impossível!
Lamentamos pelas mortes.

Parabéns pelo seu trabalho!

Posted by Melody Faustino January 29, 11 10:10 AM

My prayers and heart go out to them,and the same time I'm humbuly very greatfull for my Spiritual connection & protection.I pray for their serenity& peace in their heart.I wish I was there to help.

Posted by Maritza January 29, 11 10:17 AM

Merci Alan pour ce travail fantastique et toutes ces émotions !

Posted by Grég January 29, 11 02:18 PM

Impressionante !
Trabalho magnifico Alan, obrigada
Meus olhos cheios de lagrimas revivem esses dias onde tanta perda e dor
ainda continuam.

Posted by Eliana January 29, 11 03:31 PM

Alan, thanks for the incredible work and farewell!

Posted by Xavier Roy January 29, 11 03:32 PM

Oh my God !! The situation is so terrific.

Posted by Saroj Kumar Ghimire January 29, 11 03:32 PM

I live in Nova Friburgo. My city was devasted !!!! But we are turn over !!!!

Posted by Leo Pinheiro January 30, 11 09:13 AM

God bless the volunteers.

Posted by Euclides Duarte Ramos Junior January 30, 11 02:39 PM

Thanks Alan for your wonderful work. And all my friendship for people in Brazil,

Posted by Anonymous January 30, 11 04:47 PM

O que dizer?
Mas, de todas as fotos postadas, durante a tragédia, sem dúvida, Alan voce captou maravilhosamente a tragédia, sem apelar para um fotojornalismo barato. Parabéns!

Posted by Ana Maria Machado January 30, 11 06:44 PM

so terrific.
u did a good job alan
may god bless every one amen

Posted by vanan January 31, 11 12:35 AM

my heart goes out to all of you

Posted by Elize Taljaard January 31, 11 04:17 AM

Never wrote a comment on this blog ever , even though i am a regular visitor.

Alan,

it was a great journey. Thank you very much.

Posted by Mak January 31, 11 04:35 AM

Hermanos de Brasil, que dios los proteja y les permita poco a poco reconstruir sus hogares y ciudades. Gracias a estas impresionantes imágenes pudimos observar lo duro y cruel de la situación. Tengan paciencia, fortaleza y empuje... después de cada tormenta siempre saldrá el sol... y ustedes saldrán adelante. Afectuosamente desde Punto Fijo - Venezuela.

Posted by Julio Contrera January 31, 11 07:40 AM

Obrigado por toda a ajuda humanitária q invadiu nossa cidade como uma onda de amor. obrigado aos que tiveram coragem para atuar e vivenciar, estes momentos tão terríveis para as famílias. obrigado, Deus nosso, pelas vidas poupadas por tua misericórdia. obrigado por tudo... só tu sabes o porque de todas as coisas.

Posted by elisabete January 31, 11 01:23 PM

#8 really breaks my heart.

Posted by Alex January 31, 11 01:39 PM

Um gato gigante, furioso e impiedoso arranhou as encostas da Serra...

Temos que repensar o futuro...

Parabéns pelo trabalho.

Posted by Carlos Guidini (Gaúcho) January 31, 11 06:18 PM

Que todos nós oremos , pelas vidas sofridas , que perderam tudo, principalmente seus entes queridos...q Deus os acolham e protejam em seus braços , dando lhes consolo ...Parabéns pelo trabalho do corpo d bombeiros , da PM, e de todos voluntários que se uniram num gesto maravilhoso...que ñ pensaram em nada , nem em si próprio mas na urgencia de salvar essas vidas ...Deus abençõe vcs ....

Posted by vania souza January 31, 11 09:59 PM

Alan,

Thanks for your effort on this Blog.

Medu

Posted by Medu February 1, 11 03:36 PM

I am Brazilian, living in Ireland there are 2 years, i were in Morocco on my holidays when it all happened! I heard about the floods and how bad but just now i could realize how incredible worst it was. Im in total state of shock! Brazil like everywhere else is not out of any catastrophe, as we brazilian keep saying that we are a blessed land. What a mess jesus! I feel deeply sorry for those poor people who haven't no one to look after them. Corruption is who runs the country. Very, very sad!

Posted by Henrique Pedroza February 2, 11 01:54 PM

E cade os governantes que só pensam em encher seus bolsos. Quando será que aprenderemos a votar.
Origado Alan por nos proporcionar a real dimensão da tragedia com as suas fotos.

Posted by Joaquim de Oliveira February 2, 11 04:49 PM

Como nos proteger? Onde está o erro? Ou onde estão os erros? Essa são as perguntas que precisamos responder, divulgar e executar.
Foi duro ver essas fotos, mas necessário.
Meus agradecimentos aos autores.

Posted by Cecilia C. Gomes February 3, 11 05:39 PM

Sr. Alan: numa das primeiras fotos vêem-se as pedras cônicas, desnudas, lisas, sobresaindo às terras verdes! Essas terras verdes, nos vales, ESTÃO DESCENDO DAS ROCHAS, há milênios. como agora ocorreu ! E vão continuar descendo, de vez em quando, fazendo as rochas nuas parecerem maiores cada vez ! Faltou conhecimento de Geologia todos esses 100 e tantos anos de ocupação descontolada das terras verdes ! Vai continuar havendo descida de terreno, agora aderido às rochas, até nivelar tudo ! É só esperar mais umas chuvas. Ary Lopes Ferreira.

Posted by Ary Lopes Ferreira February 3, 11 07:31 PM

#22 made me cry like a baby!

Posted by William February 5, 11 08:54 PM

Sou representante comercial , trabalho com medicamentos da linha farma , trabalho na região serrana muitos anos e nunca imaginei uma situação como esta...até hoje não tive coragem de entrar em contato com amigos que deixei por lá...não é covardia de minha parte...É MEDO de não encontrá-los . Tem treis anos que estou afastado dessa região mas sinto muitíssimo e me emociono cada vez que comentamos o acontecido.
Que Deus Abençoe a todos.

Posted by Ricardo Avellar February 7, 11 06:15 PM

Que DEUS continue abençoando o BRASIL e seu MARAVILHOSO POVO. Triste sim, tragédia é sempre algo de muito ruim de se ver mas lembre-se
são nessas horas de limite que reunimos força no sofrimento e nos superamos. Somos em sua maioria um povo FORTE , SOLIDÁRIO e que não foge a luta. Que Deus os abrace em especial ( todos aqueles que de alguma maneira ajudaram.

Posted by Angela Lacerda February 9, 11 05:57 AM

hey thanks for the pics they are great but devistating

Posted by dodle February 10, 11 05:10 PM

People swimming and dying on the mud and you giving cheers to this Allan.

EXPECTED, though.

Posted by Bruno February 13, 11 08:14 AM

hey thanks for this real show , this photo make very one sad god help him ..

Posted by heresh February 13, 11 04:20 PM

Boa sorte , que DEUS lhe de sempre força e sabedoria para continuar este arduo e necessário trabalho.

Abraços sandra, criciúma , sc , brasil

Posted by sandra February 13, 11 09:39 PM

É muito importante nestes momentos de dor e sofrimento, o apoio e carinho, o braço amigo da solidariedade. O sentimento maior que encontra-se dentro de todos nós: AMOR. Meus parabens à todos que colaboraram de alguma forma. Que Deus abençoe a todos e console grandemente o coração dos que ficaram, mas tambem dos que se foram.
A morte não existe...

Posted by Rogério Cardoso February 15, 11 08:37 PM

Thanks to our heavenly father for helping the volontears on doing this grate help. Thank u people for giving your grate hands helping this people god
will bless u and the victims. let us do what we can do and god will do the rest thank u, Im livig in Solomon island.

Posted by Taskona Frank Billy February 16, 11 05:33 PM

I think we should pray for Brazil people those are in big trouble still now. God help them........ !

Posted by Mishu February 17, 11 09:41 AM

desde mexico toda la ayuda a los brasileños vamos ya hay que salir adelante

Posted by victo February 18, 11 03:08 PM

Spend a moment of silence and pray 4 d lost llves in the brazil earth quake, may their souls rest in peace.

Posted by Micheal zeron February 28, 11 02:17 PM

hey thanks for the pics they are great but devistating

Posted by harsh April 16, 11 06:58 AM

omg thats crazy and weird

Posted by dude May 10, 11 08:08 AM