April 21, 2010 Permalink

Scenes from Sudan

Residents of the African nation of Sudan recently cast votes in the first national election in over 20 years. Official results are still forthcoming, but early indications show that President Omar Hassan al-Bashir is set to win a landslide victory. Opposition parties are threatening to boycott the results, as a statement from the U.S. White House described the election as plagued by "serious irregularities". Sudan remains a country with serious problems from conflict in Darfur and ongoing humanitarian crises in refugee camps and several drought-stricken regions. The election is also seen as prelude to another upcoming vote: a referendum of independence for Southern Sudan in 2011 that could create a new African nation. Collected here are recent photos from Sudan. (38 photos total)

A Sudanese boy holds a bunch of southern Sudan flags that he and other street children picked up from the ground, after a political rally in Juba on April 09, 2010. Sudanese President Omar al-Beshir and his remaining challengers addressed supporters on the last day of campaigning for elections that have been overshadowed by opposition boycotts. The southern former rebel Sudan People's Liberation Movement said it was also withdrawing from simultaneous parliamentary and state elections in all northern states except the disputed Blue Nile and south Kordofan districts, after its candidate, Yasser Arman, pulled out of the presidential race. (ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP/Getty Images)

Holy smokes. When are they going to bury Carter?

Posted by Jeremy April 21, 10 12:43 PM

great pictures! Thanks!

Posted by felipe botero April 21, 10 12:55 PM

Picture 4 is a great shot. Thank you for these.

Posted by Austin April 21, 10 01:07 PM

Another great photo narrative.

Posted by Greg Washington April 21, 10 01:09 PM

Incredible, these people live, work and play in mud, leading what can only barely be described as an existence, many of them incredibly poor and malnourished, while half a world away the WalMart family's wealth is equivalent to that of the bottom 40% of Americans (110m people) or, I'm guessing, the bottom 99% of Africans (just a guess). Welcome to the 21st century! Equality for some! Cognitive dissonance for all!

The mind reels.

Posted by Damian April 21, 10 01:22 PM

a great historic day for people of Sudan who have suffered much in past decades... and a historic event like this deserves to have photographic documents by awesome photographers... my favorites would be the 5th, 12th and the 37th...

Posted by electricmagnetic April 21, 10 01:35 PM

Wow....

Posted by Trev D. April 21, 10 01:44 PM

Woow!

Posted by Roberto De Simone April 21, 10 01:46 PM

Truly amazing, beautiful, and tragic images from a country that has suffered so much. Thank you for sharing these!

Posted by Ian Williams April 21, 10 02:01 PM

very good, as always.

Posted by Krakertjeh April 21, 10 02:06 PM

I came across The Big Picture, some months ago, and I have not yet seen a single picture that makes me indifferent. Thanks for your excellent job, and thanks to bring to aour homes such realistic views of the entire world.

Posted by Javier Villaro April 21, 10 02:07 PM

nice set of a untold story!

Posted by Olli April 21, 10 02:11 PM

Wonderful strong clear images, showing modern life and aspirations in an ancient world - thank you for these beautifully taken photos.

Posted by Celia C. Jennings April 21, 10 02:15 PM

Jimmy Carter looks like an vampire on Pic #28
;))

Posted by Pooly April 21, 10 02:15 PM

WOW!

LOVE,

TEXAS

Posted by CD April 21, 10 02:30 PM

Beautiful and compelling photographs! Thank you

Posted by Tyler Wainright April 21, 10 02:40 PM

#12 is beautiful. Such vibrant colors!

Posted by Adrenalin Tim April 21, 10 02:42 PM

Mr. Finbarr O'Reilly's compositions are magnificent. The exploding colors in photo #12 are a feast for the eyes.

Posted by Mosez April 21, 10 02:43 PM

Sudanese are such beautiful people.

Posted by Melanie April 21, 10 02:51 PM

love #21. beautiful set.

Posted by luca April 21, 10 03:16 PM

I agree with Mosez - Finbarr O'Reilly's work is exceptional.

There are some wonderfully beautiful and awfully disturbing photographs here.

Thank you for posting them.

Posted by Roger Overall April 21, 10 03:25 PM

Nice pictures once again. The reality of the world, as it is.

Posted by Richi April 21, 10 03:29 PM

wow @ #12 & #21

Posted by MarcoFromHouston April 21, 10 03:31 PM

#35 :-) We camped there (literally 100 meters from where that photo was taken) about 4 months ago. During the 12 days we spent in Sudan, we saw only 8 other travelers. Sudan, along with Iran and Yemen, were by far the most rewarding places we have been. The Sudanese were wonderful... inviting us into their homes and sharing food and good times with us.

Praying for peace and prosperity for all the people of Sudan.

Posted by TI April 21, 10 03:31 PM

#11--maybe no Twitter or blogging, but did anyone notice that the radio host has facebook open on her computer?

Posted by Doug April 21, 10 03:55 PM

WHEN YOU LOOK AROUND YOUR HOUSE AND LOOK AT YOUR CHILDREN,AND YOUR FULL REFRIG. DON'T THINK OF THESE PICTURES, THINK HOW YOU CAN HELP THE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY SLEPPING IN CARD BOARD BOX's, EATING WITH THERE CHILDREN OUT OF DUMPST'SER. LOOKING FOR WORK AND FINDING NOTHING DAY AFTER DAY, NOT KNOWING WHERE THERE CHILDRENS NEXT MEAL IS COMING FROM OR WHERE THEY MAY SLEEP SAFELY WITH OUT BEING HURT.THINK AMERICA LAND OF THE FREE AND HOME OF THE BRAVE.......RAY. 4/21/10

Posted by Anonymous April 21, 10 04:39 PM

so nice real scenes from the country of many races and cultures live together peacefully,

Posted by abdelilah April 21, 10 05:24 PM

Holy smokes. When are they going to bury Carter?
Posted by Jeremy April 21, 10 12:43 PM

Jeremy, why would you wish to bury anyone? Have you no respect?

Oh, wait, that's right, I forgot. He should be in an old peoples' home, and die forgotten.

Posted by john April 21, 10 05:51 PM

damian.... no need to go half a world away.... even within Sudan there are people with suspeciously huge riches... I am pretty sad to see foto 25 still happening in an oil producing country... and people wonder why the south is trying to seek independence and equality.
on a positive note excellant photos...number 21 is exceptional

Posted by dinho April 21, 10 07:17 PM

Images 21, 24, 30, 35 are so powerful in their humanity... Thank you.

Posted by Celina April 21, 10 08:25 PM

Thanks, that was geat!

Posted by Denis Beaumont April 21, 10 09:47 PM

@29 Beauty in the deserts...

Posted by SR April 21, 10 11:38 PM

This is an exceptional set of photographs. I've travelled in both northern and southern Sudan and these photos do a wonderful job of capturing the diversity and resilience of both people and landscapes. They do a superb job of telling the story- from the life of the IDP camps in Darfur to the urban realities of Khartoum, and the hope and energy that exists among the peoples of the south as well, despite their hard history. The images tell such an important story- that of a country moving against huge odds towards greater participation, equality and peace. I don't know for sure whether they will get there, but it's my prayer and my own hope that they do. Thanks for taking the time to find such a wonderful portfolio of images and sharing them with us here.

Posted by MoreAltitude April 22, 10 01:06 AM

A different country.. some different view...

Posted by Benjamin Sunding April 22, 10 07:44 AM

You don't have to go very far in this country to see people just as hungry. Charity starts in the home ... or in my case, Appalachia.

Posted by help_our_own_first April 22, 10 08:01 AM

@11 LOL i got the same monitor

Posted by Peter Schmitz April 22, 10 09:05 AM

awesome pics
number 30 - my fav

Posted by uana April 22, 10 09:43 AM

One dictator after the other..in Sudan, Egypt, Libya and all the surrounding countries..there is no change and the people are left to suffer. When are we planning to change this...if it doesn't happen with Obama -- it will never happen.

Posted by One of them April 22, 10 10:04 AM

BOSTON PHOTOS GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION THAN ANY OTHER WEBPAGE. PICTURES SPEAK MORE THAN THE WORDS. THANKS

Posted by C.Abdul Hameed,TamilNadu, India April 22, 10 10:16 AM

Wow this opens my eyes to the world!!!
Thank u...

Posted by Entia du Piesanie April 22, 10 11:27 AM

amazing pictures
i´m absolutely astonished

Posted by veronica April 22, 10 12:01 PM

GREAT PICTURES.

Posted by J.GRIFFIN April 22, 10 02:17 PM

Great pictures

Posted by Sebastian Boico April 22, 10 03:27 PM

Sad pictures. These people suffering from constant food, drought crisis. Can't world do more?

Posted by ruwinda April 22, 10 04:08 PM

This people is showing us, how powerfull they are......this is there life, and they can still smile, love, take care of there animals, children, land.......we have to help and lern a lot of them!!!!!!!!!

Great pictures

Posted by Marina Duran April 22, 10 07:03 PM

It's great that Carter is still engaged with the search for justice. People forget it was his efforts that helped lead to a peaceful revolution in South Africa. That was soft power at work, not shock and awe. And he's still at work, although looking well worn.

What a shock to see Meroe's pyramids. I knew nothing about these until now. I'll have to look this up.

Posted by St Paul April 22, 10 07:11 PM

Dios! este es el tipo de fotografía que vale la pena ver. Excelente trabajo. Es sentir que he viajado hasta Sudán. Excelente trabajo

Posted by Andrea López April 22, 10 08:33 PM

I love #30 and #36. The guy in #30 is just too cool.

Posted by dd April 23, 10 02:04 AM

Amazing photos!!!

Posted by Anthony April 23, 10 02:21 AM

From these great photos we can see clearly that Sudan today is not a single state. It is a basket full of different cultures, nature and idioms. Heritage of the colonial times.

Posted by c.bunk April 23, 10 03:13 AM

sorry but i think there are a few pictures are just trying to freak people out...

Posted by Anonymous April 23, 10 03:41 AM

This has got to be one of the best galleries ever put together! Bravo!

Posted by David April 23, 10 05:14 AM

its very different with good pictures

Posted by nazer April 23, 10 07:00 AM

And we thik we are badly off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous April 23, 10 07:34 AM

Excellent pictures.

Posted by Enrique April 23, 10 08:23 AM

12 & 21 amazing colours.

Posted by wilda April 23, 10 08:38 AM

I'm a Muslim but I don't get the commentary of picture 36? Since when do we actually think that Sufism is outside the sphere of Islam? -_-

Posted by Rizq April 23, 10 09:43 AM

imagen 12...una fotografía Maravillosa,

Posted by jabp April 23, 10 10:34 AM

job well done,

Posted by Allan Busiinge April 23, 10 11:08 AM

On seeing the picture real message I got. Wonderfull. Hearty thanks lot.

Posted by K.SANKARANARAYANAN April 23, 10 11:54 AM

Picture 19: The red on the walls of the school being used as a polling station look a *lot* like blood splatter - very disturbing.

Posted by Keith in Ottawa April 23, 10 12:51 PM

Excellent

Posted by Selvaraj April 23, 10 03:33 PM

I worked as a pilot with UNICEF for 12 months in 1991-92 in the south part of Sudan. It is disappointing and sad to know that little has changed for the people in that area. They are an exceptional group of people and deserve a much better life.

Posted by warren thurn April 23, 10 03:43 PM

I do NOT understand what Carter is smiling about one can only cry to think that people can be so abused by others.Mrs.E.Frenkel

Posted by Mrs.E.Frenkel April 23, 10 04:46 PM

Bless you Jimmy Carter you are true to yourself .. You are honored. If only those wonderful people had water you would see an improvement beyond words.

Posted by Virlee Jones April 23, 10 04:49 PM

SAD VERY SAD

Posted by Anonymous April 23, 10 05:51 PM

37 !

Posted by George April 23, 10 05:56 PM

Wishing the best to South Sudan. I hope they achieve their much-needed independence. Otherwise, total arabization is only a few decades away.

Posted by Wolfy April 23, 10 11:19 PM

These are the finest quality pictures of a sad and grave situation of the lives of these poor people.
Thank you President Jimmy Carter for your presence.

Posted by Bruce M. Hein April 24, 10 02:24 AM

Thank you to Jimmy Carter for continuing to contribute one way or another to improving this world ... he could be just enjoying his old age comfortably.. playing golf one one of america's greens....

Thank you to the photographer for these very beautiful photos of these beautiful & gracious people who remain so dignified despite all the hardship; these photos open our hearts to our brothers and sisters in Sudan.

Posted by Daniela April 24, 10 06:30 AM

Say what you want about Jimmy Carter. Compared with his successors, he is positively a saint.
As usual, great pictures.
Some day things will change there.....maybe.

Posted by lewis April 24, 10 09:27 AM

What can we say? So is the world - the beautiful and the ugly. Life must go on. From the sun-baked dunes of Dafur to drought stricken Akobo and throughout the diversity of the North and South, so shall be Allah's people or should I say Jah's wonderful image?

If the photos mirror what was, is and might well be, the fundamental question remains: how can we make a difference, if such is the need?

Posted by Dan April 24, 10 10:56 AM

How about birth control? Though these are beautiful photos I'm always struck when I think of Africa that the people there, in order to have quality of life as opposed to quantity, need access to birth control and have it encouraged in their cultural / societal mandates (customs? can't quite think of the right word yet) to use it. Living at the level of base animal survival can't be very fun for the women and most have yet to be introduced to anything different. We need to subtract the tyranny of religious-based "help" that doesn't believe in birth control - I have the feeling they've cornered the market on helping Africa.

Posted by Ckr April 24, 10 04:24 PM

As a Sudanese American, nothing surprises me anymore. Our people continue to suffer. Omar Al Bashir needs to go, we need unity and lots of help so people across Sudan can live in peace with dignity. The US needs to life sanctions they do nothing but help poor people suffer.Thank you for great photos.

Posted by Abe H. April 24, 10 06:02 PM

Great photos, which show only the one side of residents in the huge country of Sudan, and mostly in the outlying sparsely inhabited areas. Obviously foreigners will not take a very kind view of the country.

But I hear too how extremely wealthy many are in Sudan too now.

I would like to see photos showing the comparison between the poorest we are seeing here and others who are the average citizens in the towns Khartoum, WadMedani, El Obeid. Surely this would give a truer picture of the country. I understand there are a great deal of wealthy residents too there, NOT living in grass huts!!!

Posted by Monica April 24, 10 07:16 PM

These are outstanding pictures. One has to stop and think but for the grace of God, there go I. I pray to God that these people will not have to live in these circumstances. This is the result of dictatorship, warloards, uneducated people. My heart goes out to them.

Posted by Mildred Hovatter April 24, 10 11:15 PM

Please, show pictures of the wealthy part of the country, too. I learned a lot about the country just by looking at the beautifully-taken pictures. There is a place in my island country known as Malakal, too.

Posted by Betkii April 25, 10 03:39 AM

Thank you. This gave me a face on Sudan and it's people.

Posted by Jorgos April 25, 10 05:36 AM

so kind to find your adress, I'll certainly often look at it, I've appreciate your photographs about Eyafjallajokull and about Soudan, I agree with number 77, I do like knowing about the countries I'll never be abble to visit because of my age. I am 82 an french . thank you

Posted by gisele.Mallot April 25, 10 09:42 AM

That is the world my people live in, that is the live that I lived before and during the war. The war had left so much poverty, and illiteracy. People in other part of the world don't understand what is the real story on the groumnd when people like myself who was born in such situation narrat it to the public. Many people in Sudan are in so much deprivation, and no thing the government has done or is doing about it. I'm always baffled, and huanted by when I see those images, and I'm proud of them, because they remind me about what I can do to change it to the better. That is why people like me struggle to establish organization like mind; "Life For Sudan," and many others, just only to change those images many of you are seeing. I'm proud to be in the United States of America to work with some caring people who have heard for others to help change the face of my communities back. That is why I have this: www.lifeforsudan.org. I hope I will do at least something. Thanks to Boston.com for sharing the images.

Posted by Peter Nhiany April 25, 10 10:43 AM

My people, My people, God please let my people go. Moving photos. I pray for God's massive help.

Posted by Carol tatum April 25, 10 10:58 AM

carter should be in a crate....to see people living in this world , what has he done for them

Posted by mary April 25, 10 11:40 AM

THIS countny looks peutty bad!

Posted by Zack Weaver April 25, 10 01:40 PM

As I see #37 Maslow Pyramid comes to my mind...

Posted by dzsobacsi April 25, 10 04:45 PM

Las fotos son de una calidad excepcional , en cuanto al tema que desarrollan: la miseria, el hambre , gente que no vive, sufre lo podemos ver
a lo largo y ancho del mundo. PERO Y LOS QUE TIENEN QUE COMER QUE HACEN PARA EVITARLO.El mismo caso que la demolición del Planeta .

Posted by Héctor Sabanes April 25, 10 05:06 PM

I feel a lot of pity on these people, really must agree the way they live their lives together in hardships and good times (maybe) is highly appreciable. There are so many countries in this world who are in a better position. If each one in the name of humanity donates and helps sudan and its people rise for a better living then really we can change and bring a smile on these people. Inshallah, that time will soon come, they too will live happy normal lives as we do.

Posted by Syed Junaid Arshad April 25, 10 07:08 PM

Your pictures are truly AMAZING!!!

Posted by Isabelle April 25, 10 08:22 PM

@ # 11 Looks just like the Radio Station I worked at in 2001-2002 KGBC 1540am On Galveston Island.Except Nicer!!!
I don't know to cry or laugh? These picture tell a very emotional story of what is happening in a country with a corrupt government, much like our USA is today !!
These pictures of these peoples homes and their posessions are the American people in the very near future...mark my word !!!

Posted by Mark Common Sense April 26, 10 02:43 AM

Interessant!

Posted by António Justo April 26, 10 04:41 AM

God bless Sudan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by eric April 26, 10 08:26 AM

These are great photos, it have revel all the parts of Sudan and their needs. The question is, can this elections bring change and those fighting for food could have enough and the Darfurians come back to their homes.
We need change and improvement even though the same people won, they need to raise the situation to be human for those who are living below humanity and dignity.

Posted by Lubna Lasu April 26, 10 08:39 AM

thanks for the pictures, amazing!
it is thoughtful and inspiring, may the good Lord deliver Africa from good for nothing so called leaders of ours, amen.

Posted by ADENIRAN JOHN April 26, 10 10:19 AM

Amazing pictures!! I can cry to see how people are being abused by others.Picture # 25-And how sad to see children suffering from malnutrition,and to see the sadness in their eyes. Picture # 14.
God bless them...

Posted by Regena Scott April 26, 10 01:38 PM

Great photos! I don't understand the comments stating that these pictures are "sad". There's a shot of a malnourished kid and a shot of people fighting over food. I've seen similar situations in North America. The rest of the shots show people going about their everyday life. If anything these photos carry a tone of great optimism and strength. The election is a great thing for Sudan. Oh, and if people look indifferent in the photos it's because some Sudanese are very cautious about having their photos taken. I know because I've been there.

Posted by Jack April 26, 10 03:27 PM

Perfect & real discretion

Posted by yasir April 27, 10 01:43 AM

live to love love to live

Posted by Tracy Bowker April 27, 10 09:41 AM

Luckily, the military war is over & the war against poverty, malnourishment, diseases, unemployement, empowerment has to be won in this God forsaken land...
My sincere wishes to the people of Sudan & all the other similarly placed countries to battle it out against the plagues.

Posted by sandy April 27, 10 01:34 PM

I felt so sad for these dear people. I saw no glimmer of happiness from the children except for one Sufi child.. I felt the desolation of the people. Still, there must be hope and we must pray that hope will come to reality for all of these people who God still loves. People can say all they want about Jimmy Carter, but who else is coming forward to help? Let us unite in prayer for the government and for peace to come in Sudan. Many of us don't know about the sad plight of the country, but a picture says MORE than a thousand words. My next sponsored child has to be one from Sudan! Each one has to reach one.

Posted by Eulie April 27, 10 04:10 PM

u know ... Sudan isn't some sorta dump okay !!!!!!!!

the pictures were about some sad things in sudan but that isnt the whole story
im sudanese , and for your information there are MALLS in sudan,we have cinemas,amusement parks ,and awesome coffee shops !!!!!!!!!!
some people in sudan live in mansions and by the way when was sufism not part of islam !!!!!!!

Posted by sflgryihg April 28, 10 01:43 PM

Great documentary value and VERY artistic too! Fantastic pictures. Thanks.

Posted by Mira April 28, 10 03:29 PM

ESTO FORMA PARTE DEL MUNDO QUE MUCHOS DESCONOCEMOS
GRACIAS ... ES LA MENTE Abrir, Menos QUEJARNOS REFLEXIONAR Y ... Felicitaciones Fotógrafo AL

Posted by CLORINDA April 29, 10 03:17 PM

Fantastic pictures and fantastic place... I wish much lucky to this people!

Posted by Anonymous April 30, 10 03:42 AM

jeremy u have no respect 4 anyone
wen is somebody going to bury u
nice pic'z doe

Posted by Anonymous April 30, 10 10:04 AM

Truthfully these pictures tell a story in themselves.
Personally I know it's hard to believe that these pictures are real but
seeing them really touches ones heart. Great Pics.

Posted by Aaron April 30, 10 06:50 PM

Sadly it's 25 that hits me hardest. Perhaps the uglier side of this culture is more shocking than the beautiful side shown in all the others? People fighting over food is both horribly sad and confusing. How much of the food is being spilt? Are the fighters some of the same ones playing soccer? Settling scores? Praying to Allah? Or are they at their rock bottoms, not an ounce of strength left in their bodies? Look at the picture. Not PC questions, but also ones worth following up on rather than making assumptions.

Posted by anno May 3, 10 09:28 AM

Wow these kids in africa have no one to take care of them as we do so some time's we need to stop and think about the kids around the world don't have nothing like we do.

Posted by emsw271Janet May 4, 10 08:11 AM

Posted by emsw271Janet May 4, 10 08:11 AM

First of all, very nice pictures. big pictures always intructing us.
thanks to those pictures that we can see how people in this world are suffering and work real hard to survive everyday and make us valorate all thing that we have than poor people don't..

Posted by Juan Antonio May 5, 10 10:22 PM

Pray for these people , They wil be first in God's eyes ! Amen

Posted by Marilyn May 9, 10 11:17 AM

Thanks for the images! they gives me and others, the insight! Keep up!

Posted by Kawuki K Joe May 10, 10 12:25 PM

Been to Iceland-where r the Dino's? We are small and here for a short time-expect the unexpected. Is htis better than war? what a question eh" Well-I say GOd bless all-the people and the horses and other species we have come to love. Iceland-we r thinking of u and praying

Posted by Rich May 11, 10 06:41 PM

Thank you for this site.
It's really impressive, how you tell a story with it's different perspectives
by photos, which all have a great documentary and artistic value.

Posted by Bernhard (GER) May 14, 10 03:51 PM

all of you who been to sudan to sudan and you are not muslim you suck

Posted by aisha May 14, 10 09:10 PM

i´ve been in Sudan for 4 long years...and only i can say is...
GOD BLESS SUDAN...

Posted by Anonymous May 16, 10 12:58 PM

I'm sudanese...and never seen just beautifull imageries of people taken in such amazing colors....great work and thank you

Posted by Anonymous May 17, 10 04:15 AM

this is our sudan you see , the people are simple and kind with different cultures and religions but they are not lucky to find good people to lead them,just gangs and bandits.

Posted by tarig yahya adam May 18, 10 05:39 AM

pic 30 scares me.

Posted by anonymous July 7, 10 02:39 AM

lovn da pics pray they all make it through life

Posted by fameshajones November 3, 10 02:58 PM

26 awesome!

Posted by mna November 19, 10 02:04 AM

You only had taken a dark side & left a pretty one , in my opinion you want to harms our country`s image by taken such photos. Whole the world there are poverty even in civilized countries such as American & Western countries . we know your web site is always gets the bad news about our country.This web site is sponsored by America , allied western countries& Israel .

Posted by Ahmed Taj December 7, 10 07:06 AM

Акобо самое голодное место на земле. А сколько ещё таких мест, где люди умирают от голода. Как думаете, ГМО спасёт мир?

Posted by Ukraine December 20, 10 03:29 AM