February 1, 2010 Permalink

Haiti three weeks later

Tomorrow will mark three weeks since the massive January 12th earthquake in Haiti, and tent cities remain full, even as some businesses and factories are beginning to reopen in Port-au-Prince. Now that massive amounts of aid have arrived, distribution problems have cropped up and are being addressed. The World Food Program has begun a new system of delivering rice to 10,000 Haitians per day at each of 16 women-only distribution points around the city - restricted to women, since young men often muscle their way to the front of distribution lines, and the women are viewed as more likely to fairly divide up the food. Aid chiefs and donor nations are warning that Haiti will need at least a decade of painstaking reconstruction. (40 photos total)

A man looks at the damage to the Iron Market after a fire ripped through it last night in Port-au-Prince on January 30, 2010. (ROBERTO SCHMIDT/AFP/Getty Images)

wow

Posted by megan February 1, 10 12:40 PM

#30

Posted by Ted February 1, 10 12:47 PM

Wow, words escape me. Insane.

Posted by SC February 1, 10 12:50 PM

jiayou

Posted by mao February 1, 10 12:50 PM

Awesome aswel!

Posted by Pabliyo February 1, 10 12:52 PM

Check the guy out with the white cap and shades in #14, middle foreground. Is that a knife in his hand?

Posted by Simon, Joburg RSA February 1, 10 12:53 PM

the last one is... jesus, no words.

Posted by nicola February 1, 10 01:00 PM

#37 made me smile

Posted by ted February 1, 10 01:05 PM

Amazing. I struggle with my feelings about the security guard shooting a potential looter. Without knowing the circumstances, it's hard to judge... but it sure seems hard to justify killing people attempting to survive. Just hard to know what's really going on without being there.

Posted by Paul February 1, 10 01:08 PM

#24 That is just wrong.

Posted by Raymond February 1, 10 01:08 PM

#22 should make everybody think. This is actually how many of the photos on this site are made.

Posted by Mugros February 1, 10 01:21 PM

¿Qué hace la US ARMY en Haití?
¿Esos creen que pueden ir y someter personas en cualquier país o que?

Posted by Martín February 1, 10 01:22 PM

Provocative and compelling as always. Thank you!

Posted by Terry February 1, 10 01:22 PM

#30

o_O

Posted by Stranno February 1, 10 01:23 PM

27 and 28 are pretty harrowing images.

Posted by Mike February 1, 10 01:23 PM

OMG!! im sad for that.. im from dominican republic n I feel very sorry for the Haitian brothers

Posted by OmarkY February 1, 10 01:23 PM

Without words.

Posted by rodolfmm February 1, 10 01:30 PM

Stunning pictures, as usual!

Posted by Jurgen February 1, 10 01:32 PM

Wow!

Simon, In #14 I think that is a knife! crazy!

Posted by Jon February 1, 10 01:33 PM

RE: Simon, Joburg RSA. i was thinking the same thing; sure looks like a knife. this is hell...a crushing mob with random knife attacks. if you start to get stabbed, you would want to run away (where?) or go to the ground & defend w/ your feet...and then get trampled in the melee ?

Posted by double_G February 1, 10 01:34 PM

Some of these pictures really tick me off. These people are not "looting" they are trying to survive. It is amazing that human life is being placed below some discretionary items at a ruined store. People are being shot DEAD because of it. The Haitian authorities should be ashamed of themselves concerning their utter disregard for human life...

Posted by A Simone February 1, 10 01:34 PM

#22 - That's not a rifle, it's a pump action shotgun. The other officer in the background is holding a rifle, though.

Posted by Jake February 1, 10 01:42 PM

No 5 must surely be up for the World Press Photo award's big prize.

Fantastic image.

Posted by Jon T February 1, 10 01:51 PM

@11...you mean they use cameras? Deep, man, deep.

Posted by Jeremy February 1, 10 01:55 PM

I'm with comment 9 regarding photos #27/28. Mercenaries in Haiti or Iraq have proven time and again little respect for human life.

Posted by SG February 1, 10 01:58 PM

A Simone: in the aftermath of an EARTHQUAKE, what, exactly, would you expect to find in an APPLIANCE STORE that is critical to survival? But you're right: I dislike the term "looting" as well. BURGLARY is far more accurate. Imagine their surprise when they learn that the anarchy resulting from such an overwhelming disaster works BOTH ways.....

Posted by Sergeant Mac February 1, 10 02:12 PM

Great photos as usual, but I've noticed none of them include EXIF data (standard for technical details embedded in the .jpg file). Could you please avoid removing them during the editing process? This would allows us amateur photographers to learn a bit about the technique used by the pros.

Posted by Ademar February 1, 10 02:20 PM

Looting is theft regardless of the situation. I'd have a little sympathy if they were stealing food. But they are trying to survive by stealing stoves? No, that is theft pure and simple and the looters deserve what they get.

Posted by Ben Mathews February 1, 10 02:25 PM

Haiti and the Haitian people have one avenue of recovery - the U.S.A The country must come under complete U.S. control - or it risks a future with no more promise than it's past.

Posted by Rob Jacob February 1, 10 02:25 PM

wow!
great photos. sad times there.

Posted by .wp February 1, 10 02:25 PM

@12 Vas la COMIDA? Adeimas la US ARMY. Comprendas?

Posted by Corcho February 1, 10 02:28 PM

waoooo!!

Posted by henry February 1, 10 02:31 PM

#8, #24

Posted by Bryant February 1, 10 02:37 PM

Reality hits hard...Wishing I were there to give a hand...

Posted by DVineWrite February 1, 10 02:51 PM

Im just crying, can not see that devastation, few hundreds miles from the most powerful country in the world, ashamed!!!!

Posted by Antonio February 1, 10 02:55 PM

the transition between 27 & 28 is quite scary!

I don't think its quite necessary for people to be shooting others when so much blood has been spilt already.

'Private trigger happy security guard' or what?

Posted by Daniel UK February 1, 10 02:56 PM

The shooting of the looters is tragic from our perspective... a comfortable one. The owners of that appliance store probably aren't fat-cats, though. They will depend on whatever they have left to rebuild their lives, so if the looter is just "trying to survive" by looting, then so is the shop owner who hired the security guard to protect his merchandise.

Where I live, it is perfectly legal to shoot an intruder in your home without asking any questions, because, whether or not there is a weapon, one could be used before you knew about it. You can't subdue them first, then execute them, mind you, and these things are investigated as homicides, but if it was in the heat of the moment, it is considered a form of legal self-defense. This situation is a little different, morally speaking, because it is a private guard protecting client property, rather than his home or family, but it is also a different place and the actors are under different pressures and different laws (laws probably even more lenient on this kind of thing).

Consider the circumstances. There are all those people starving, injured, sick, grieving. Many, I would guess most, go to aid distribution centers and hope for the best as looting is not a sturdy foundation for rebuilding anything. Some, mostly very young and very old, even of those people that did the right thing in waiting at the aid centers, could die before adequate food and medicine get around to everyone. Lots more children will die a slow death. I find it hard to mourn the looters. I don't think he "deserved" it. He was just a victim of circumstances, which he worsened for himself by making a poor choice. That dead looter could have joined his more patient fellow citizens at an aid distribution center and waited his turn. He probably had a good idea of the consequences of looting and you know, in his circumstances a bullet is much quicker than other potentialities. I just hope he wasn't out looting for a spouse and/or children, but if he was I hope they get what they need from the aid organizations.

Change of subject, #30 has a real aesthetic quality to it, subject aside. Morbid, I know, but a beautifully taken photo of a tragic scene.

Posted by chris February 1, 10 02:58 PM

Those pics are really touching.. Wow I feel really bad for them, I hope they can recover soon..

Posted by Anonymous February 1, 10 03:05 PM

Ademar as a pro amature myself I never share my exif data. Unless I'm helping a friend out. If you are trying ot learn go out and shoot thats teh best way. And its not about camera settings either. Its about framing. Being somewhere and seeing a shot. Composition is more important than camera settings/kind of camera you have.

Posted by Andrew February 1, 10 03:07 PM

"Looting" a stove??? I can understand going in to steal food for survival, who needs a stove from the wrecked stores for survival..... I bet you there is no electricity or gas to use them Applicances). Killing people who are looting of course NOT.

Posted by Derek February 1, 10 03:17 PM

I found the image of the man on the stairs to be the most disturbing in this set on many levels. What went through my mind is... we saw the image taken right before the man was shot... we saw the image while he was most likely dying (not dead) on the stairs. Through the magic of photojournalism we were there... are we witnesses or accomplices?

The statement "looters deserve what they get" in relation to this image is very harsh and makes me angry.

Posted by Esther Lockhart February 1, 10 03:32 PM

i dont think we have the right to shoot and even kill these poor people.
that just wrong. w need to take care for them and not harm them right now!

Posted by Chen February 1, 10 03:33 PM

Whatever you name the action: "looting", "burglary", etc. It does not change the fact that people who shoot each other over a stove, or any aother apliance have not in any way respect for human life.

You cannot in any way put more value on a stove than on a human life, even if your own livelihood depends on it. Human life is priceless, and I sincerely hope we all remember that before we end up shooting each other when a catastrophe like that hits your town (or mine)

Posted by humanist February 1, 10 03:33 PM

Ayibobo!

Posted by Freedom February 1, 10 03:46 PM

Looting leads to more serious crime. I agree with some of the comments above. Those kids are stealing food, they're stealing a stove! What about all the people who aren't looters?

I pity the honest people of Haiti. It's the looters who are stealing from the good people. Good to see the police are on patrol.

Posted by Jeff DanLeoni February 1, 10 04:17 PM

@25: Living in a generally lawless area like Iraq or Haiti gives a person a very different perspective on personal safety. Seeing how easily and arbitrarily life can be taken away (like being in front of the wrong guy at an aid station, like the knife-wielder in #14) is a real lesson in how valuable human life really is.

Posted by STH February 1, 10 04:25 PM

A picture is worth a million words.
Heartbreaking :(
Go to www.worldvision.com to donate. Any amount will do. These people are desperate for help.

Posted by Holly February 1, 10 04:46 PM

Last time I checked, a kitchen appliance is not necessary for survival. Stealing after a natural disaster is no different than stealing in times of tranquility. If you come into my house trying to steal something, you can guess if I have a gun or not. The criminal in #28 is now blatantly aware of the potential repercussions of his nefarious actions.

Posted by Steve Athlon February 1, 10 04:56 PM

#30 - Awesome, in every sense of the word...

Posted by David Way February 1, 10 05:19 PM

The response by some to the pictures like the dead looter, is really shocking. Most poor Haitians have no electrify or gas. They are not looting to have a stove for use because many will sell the metal for scrap so they can buy food. How many of you have felt real hunger? And to kill someone over scrap metal is a terrible thing which is what most of the items in that rubble has become, shows the total disregard for Haitian life. The upper class in Haiti has never cared much for the poor Haitians to them they are not much more than stray dogs. It was the case before the Earthquake and and it is the same now.

Posted by Michael February 1, 10 05:25 PM

estoy desolado ante tanto dolor,muerte y hambre. ojala todos nos unamos ante tanto dolor no solo por haiti sino por paises que tambien necesitan ayuda,,, ,,, no se como hay personas que poseen tanto dinero y no les choca las noticias , sera que no tienen television, o a caso para sr tan rico hay que dejar a un lado los valores de convivencia , no es darlo todo pero hay personas que con tan poco se les aliviaria el dolor por el que pasan .. ...... ojala nunca nos toque , y si nos pasa que estoy seguro que algun dia nos pasara , encontremos quien nos ayude .

Posted by Robin sanchez February 1, 10 05:27 PM

American army is everywhere, probably they would take a control in Haiti and it will be the the next country of the USA.

Sorry for my english.

Posted by The Walrus February 1, 10 05:40 PM

después de ver el horror, una mirada que te devuelve la esperanza. una mirada desde el horror hacia nosotros.
gracias a los fotógrafos capaces de hacer su trabajo con dignidad

Posted by miguel angel February 1, 10 05:47 PM

WOW....There is not words to express what I feel after looking at this pic.... Wish the best to my neighbors Haitians....

Posted by Gianny Roa February 1, 10 06:48 PM

"
"

seconded!
#16 just left me stunned, the rice looks so surreal

Posted by daniel February 1, 10 06:48 PM

It's sad to see that it takes this to see countries united...

Posted by lpaphoto February 1, 10 07:32 PM

The extremes of humanity flourish in times of need... so much love, and so much hate...... to all the survivors, I only hope you can find the strength and courage to move forward... to those who have not made it, our thoughts are with you and your loved ones....... to those who are helping others whenever and wherever they can, we applaud your selflessness and your efforts... to those of you who are destroying lives in such a time, please do not make the situation worse.. remember the tables always turn, you might be the one on the other end of the spectrum one day... rich or poor, black or white, big or small, man or woman... everyone needs a helping hand.

Posted by Carolina February 1, 10 07:39 PM

#27, #28 I can't believe people were shot to death just because trying to find something to eat--yes they just wanted to eat something. Think about the family waiting for him at home for food. Haiti and Haitian do not need such a private-killing-machine, they need food not bullets!

Posted by Rahmat Febrianto February 1, 10 07:52 PM

Far out, those are some epic images..

Thankyou

Posted by Leary February 1, 10 07:56 PM

This is heartbreaking

Posted by Isabela V. Kaplitt February 1, 10 08:03 PM

Al #12

No sea pendejo compa, el U.S. Army nada mas esta tratando de ayudar. Si ellos tienen ordenes de mantener el orden es por que se les ha dado la abilidad de hacerlo.

No sea mamon y vayase a meter el dedo.

Posted by Cesar February 1, 10 08:10 PM

Alan,

is it possible to access archives older than 1 year?

Posted by luca February 1, 10 08:10 PM

# 40 those eyes

Posted by Anonymous February 1, 10 08:51 PM

These photos break my heart. These people are desperate. Please, please, please help them. :'(

Posted by Jill S February 1, 10 09:13 PM

Thank you so much for providing these photos. These people are beautiful. I cannot imagine how they are managing to keep going under current circumstances. These photos make me wish I could go down there and just help out for a couple of weeks. Please keep them coming. We raised over $1,100 at a lunch last week where I work and sent it to the Red Cross Haitian Relief fund. We will be raising more money shortly. Everyone I know is giving what they can.

Posted by d3b0rah February 1, 10 09:35 PM

incredible.

Posted by tracy February 1, 10 10:22 PM

To justify shooting Haitian survivors for "looting" would be laughable, if it weren't so blindly cruel. Two young men carrying off a stove are not planning a kitchen makeover. They are looking for something--anything--which may bring them money to buy food and water, which means survival. Some comments on looting match exactly what was bruted about after Hurricane Katrina: "Oh, look! In the midst of such a disaster, there are people stealing television sets. (And #65, I agree completely: As soon as the pictures began arriving, I was struck by the beauty of the Haitian people.)

Posted by Ted Brooks February 1, 10 10:41 PM

@39 I disagree. I consider myself a serious amateur (and have had some paying jobs) and looking at exif data is an incredibly helpful thing for me. You're right--it's all about the composition. I've gotten outstanding pictures with a cell phone camera. That said, when I was learning the ropes, whenever I had to go shoot in shooting conditions that were new (for example, one time a friend of mine paid me to shoot a snowboarding competition), as I was preparing for the shoot, I'd go to Flickr and find pictures I like, and then I'd examine the exif data to see what settings they used and get ideas from there about what I should be doing.

It was extremely helpful.

And from a camera geek point of view, I'm always curious about what equipment and techniques the pros use.

Posted by Kari February 1, 10 10:44 PM

oh!!!!!!!!!
my god..............

Posted by PRAVEEN February 1, 10 11:49 PM

#14 scares the crap outa me, the sheer unadulterated desperation.....

......and the guy in the white cap with a knife in his hand.....

Thnx for sharing the photos, an eye opener as usual.

Posted by humanbeing February 1, 10 11:57 PM

looting and shooting

Posted by Duchinh Bui February 2, 10 12:36 AM

@Ben Mathews - "No, that is theft pure and simple and the looters deserve what they get."

Absolute nonsense. The looters are breaking the law, but they don't deserve to die because of it. Lets get some perspective here.

Posted by Peter February 2, 10 01:16 AM

Terrible, in-humane conditions!

Posted by Jakob February 2, 10 02:35 AM

sad fotos and great great photography

Posted by Robin John February 2, 10 02:38 AM

#33 - it is not a modem, it's a pure wireless router (Linksys WRT54GP2) :)

Posted by Sfisol February 2, 10 02:49 AM

This is very hard to watch and very sad. I hope they able to build there Country again. With the help of the people around the nation we can help them to start a new life and hope. Thank you for sharing this pictures The people in Haiti been through alot. Let's not forget them.

Posted by Myra February 2, 10 02:58 AM

May the Good Lord take control of the situation........

Posted by Wallace Dekwende February 2, 10 03:56 AM

Fantastic, thank you so much for all the effort to provide this! Please, i hope you do not mind that i share with friends and family still searching... please see http://www.crisiscommons.org/ to see how anyone can get involved and make a difference...ideas4haiti, the twitter boards, idealist.org, the list goes on...many ways to help, even from the seat of the divan, typing on a computer...

and thank you, Big Picture, amazing work....

Posted by Leslie Jenkins February 2, 10 04:17 AM

sadly...

Posted by michael February 2, 10 04:21 AM

We can only pray!

GOD BLESS!

Posted by BleedingHeart February 2, 10 05:09 AM

Wow. The looting is an unfortunate part of a society ravaged by such a crisis with an already shaky moral basis - it's Haiti, not Paris or Rome. They were suffering there long before this tragedy occurred. If the looters are left to do what they want with no consequence, the country cannot begin to heal. If they are all allowed to simply loot and live lawlessly, there is no longer any hope for the country to turn around. It seems cruel, but it's necessary to try to instill a sense of order, control, and consequence for criminal behavior.

Pictures are absolutely harrowing.

Posted by Danielle Hamman February 2, 10 05:12 AM

Hope the rental cop in #27 gets convicted. You don't shoot someone who is looting. So a bunch of people die in this earthquake and a "security guard" with a gun is killing looters. WOW!! Where I'm from that is called murder.

Posted by Brandon Scotton February 2, 10 06:12 AM

Talk about that moral compass: An American Christian group gets caught kidnapping and trying to circumvent the Haitian legal system. “One (8-year-old) girl was crying, and saying, ‘I am not an orphan. I still have my parents.' " What if a foreign Muslim country did the same thing after Katrina? Religious hypocrisy at its best!!!!

Posted by That Dude February 2, 10 06:14 AM

great pictures - very shockin aswell

Posted by Matthias Enkirch February 2, 10 07:13 AM

o my God.. U know, all of this pictures has been touched my deep heart, i was cried while watching this. I really want come there and help them with everything that I can do, caring them, and love them soo much.. Actually, while I saw soo many children there, they are not in their places. Better, they moved out here. This disaster are the same with tsunami earthquake in Aceh 2004. It's make my heart crying and feel guilty. How come it has to be like that? But, suddenly I knew that may be it's the destination from the GOD. I really wanna be there and give them some support, love, and go charity for them and be around them.. But, How come.. I'm 16th and still has soo many class in my school. Maybe I just can give them a charity from me, and I have a message for them "don't you ever give up. and trust that GOD won't give them the disaster out of their strength." So keep brave, strong, and spirit to be the new one. And, you should always know that everybody loves you. :)
-N.

Posted by Nadya February 2, 10 07:44 AM

Stealing is wrong on any level, and taking advantage of a situation like this is morally deplorable. Shooting an UNARMED, FLEEING PERSON is the worst thing I can think of....... Why would that security guard use LETHAL force to stop him! He was already running away. It makes me sick!!

Posted by Patty February 2, 10 07:51 AM

So, Haiti is suffering, yet we (the US) held the Grammy awards - which to me is a complete waste of money and time considering how subjective music is.

And the Super Bowl is this Sunday - another waste. What if we put as much attention towards humanitarian efforts as we did our own entertainment?

Posted by JustSayin February 2, 10 07:55 AM

As a medical person I want to caution photographers r.e. showing multiple graphic pictures. I find that people become cold and less feeling after a while. It is just human nature and our way of coping. We are all rubber-neckers, looking for horrible tragedies and then dealing with it. The way medical people tend to deal is to detach themselves and I feel this will happen to lay people - therefore, all these photos will serve to do is strengthen the coping skills of many (not all) lay persons.

Posted by Mary Stacy February 2, 10 08:28 AM

@48

are you sure he is now "aware" ?

Posted by glockenspiel February 2, 10 08:48 AM

god bless!

Posted by m0kum February 2, 10 09:36 AM

this is extreme forces being applied. effin looter has no gun and gets shot dead! for what!!! Was that a BlackWater OP????
NO NEED to show burning skull of cadaver, that is Barbaric - they would never do that if it was an american!!!
PIc 24 & 39 makes no Damn sense!!!

Posted by MrHuman February 2, 10 09:38 AM

#33 gives me hope. What incredibly resilient people they are.

Posted by Abby February 2, 10 10:05 AM

@87
The US is already sending in a lot of money and also some of its troops along with food to help Haiti. The Grammys and the Super Bowl have nothing to do with that. I'm sure they'll have lots of commercials (seen by 100 million people) to help the Haitian ppl! They will be using that to help, so therefore not a wast of money. One country shouldn't stop completely because of a disaster, but of course help, which the US and several other countries are doing.

Posted by Ricardo February 2, 10 10:40 AM

my question is why would they kill and arrest victims of this quake when its visible they are hungry and in a state of survial and fear of death and every thing is destroyed and will rot anyway its just like hurricane katrina people just want ot survive every thing they taken away and police trying to kill them for trying live and its over rubble they are killing them for put down your guns and GET THIS PEOPLE SOME FOOD AND WATER T YOU IDIOTS AND TO ARREST A LITTLE KID FOR WANTING FOOD WHOS THE CRIMINAL THEY ARE FOR FIGHTING AGAINST HUMANITY REMEMBER THIS COULD BE YOU!

Posted by IRMA WALKER February 2, 10 10:49 AM

just incredible

Posted by salvador February 2, 10 11:29 AM

Each photo really makes your heart break. Some a little too graphic but shows just how devastatingly horrific conditions are. Donations and prayers just don't feel like it is enough on my part.

Posted by jannie February 2, 10 11:33 AM

#34 hope we gave this completly failed state some help

Posted by Nikolay February 2, 10 11:43 AM

#30 is my new wallpaper :D

Posted by Im0k4YwihtTh1s February 2, 10 12:07 PM

KE PENA DA LO KE ESTA PASANDO EL PUBLO HAITIANO...DIOS LOS PROTEJA Y TENGA PIEDAD DE ELLOS ...

Posted by Anonymous February 2, 10 12:27 PM

For a second I thought the kid on the left in #23 was Kevin Durant. He's just taking a little break from playing basketball for the Zombie Sonics to grab a stove in Port-au-Prince. That's just how he rolls.

Posted by Justin February 2, 10 12:41 PM

There are a lot of people there who are trying to help everyone. There are certainly many homeless and destitute Haitians too. However, selfish looters trying to steal things like refrigerators and microwaves are unexceptable. First of all we have no knowledge of what the security guard said to this guy before aiming at him, or do we know what the thief was saying or doing. This is in no way comparable to Katrina. The owner of this store is now out of products to sell and just as bad off as most other people there. To allow someone to steal things they cannot even use because of their despair is like saying it is OK to steal a car if you can't afford to buy it. Think about it.

Posted by Joe the plummer February 2, 10 12:43 PM

if you feel helpless ,just pray.

Posted by jim February 2, 10 01:00 PM

The pic of the smiling girl brought tears to my eyes. Still praying for Haiti.

Posted by Anonymous February 2, 10 01:43 PM

sooooo terribly heart breaking but the photography is amazing x

Posted by jill gibbon February 2, 10 01:43 PM

Some of these photos are incredibly sad. I looove #37, it made me smile too. I will say that in a way, the haitians are their own worst enemy right now. I understand that they're hungry but when they go to the food distribution sites and they're storming the people passing out the food no one gets any. the people leave. That's kind of scary. I wish they would be more orderly. Again, i know that they're trying to survive but those survival skills aren't working for them. Taking a stove? For what? There's no electricity there. You can't cook on it, why are you taking that? That's not trying to survive.

Posted by Violet February 2, 10 02:02 PM

How can anyone say GREAT photos??!! What is great bout them?! anything!!!!!! I have no words for all that! God bless them,and children....Praying for Haiti.

Posted by andjelijam February 2, 10 02:07 PM

If you are hungry ... you don't steal a washing machine ....
these are looters ... thieves that prey on the loss of others.

Posted by Anonymous in Haiti February 2, 10 02:15 PM

#22, see all of those photographers? thats what photojournalists call a Goat ####k

I wish that the pj's would try a little harder to avoid low hanging fruit and dig a little bit deeper.

Posted by culture.detox February 2, 10 02:30 PM

Too many people are dead already, why kill more people, dont get this country worse than what already is by killing people that are stealing. there is a better way to handle thieves and i dont think killing them is the best solution. So i found it very wrong for a security guard or police to kill people that are stealing, why can they just scare them out.

GOD BLESS THEM

Posted by Luis Jr February 2, 10 03:20 PM

Wow, to be killed over an appliance. I am not saying that theft is right. However, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs comes to mind here, based on their dire situation. & come to think of it, these are people who were supporters/consumers of these businesses. The least these businesses could do is support the people and allow them to have whatever Mother Nature didn't consume.
It is nice to see children smiling through all of the hardships that they are currently experiencing. Lots of adults sure can learn from their childlike faith/energy.

Posted by Kirsten of Tacoma February 2, 10 03:48 PM

Please can the next Haiti Big Picture entry be "Haiti 1 year later?"

Posted by inanities February 2, 10 03:56 PM

I don't know what to say or think anymore you know. It's like sitting over here thinking about it is very sad and depressing. And you just hope that the little donations you give really changes a life for someone. It's not fair!

Posted by Riri February 2, 10 04:37 PM

#27 and #28 is just plain as day murder, i dont know how else to put it. protecting a store from looters is one thing, getting trigger happy and shooting someone down in cold blood is another. good thing a camera was there to capture it but those photos need to be circulated more perhaps to the guards employer to have him fired and prosecuted. a bit mind-boggling more of a fuss hasn't been made over this.

Posted by Sal February 2, 10 04:41 PM

Haiti was a hopeless, lawless and miserable country before the earthquake. This disaster did not make it any better. The looting is just part of the package and shooting them is merely out of despair, given that there is no control at all.

People above having the thorough idea that these poor humans can be helped by giving them a shit load of money, should think again. For those 10 million people of which 80% is living below the poverty line (i.e. $1/day) there is 2 billion aid dollars available, which is equivalent to $2000 per person. Given the history of this more than 200 years independent country, very little of this money will be put in education, a justice system, decent infrastructure and a good working political system.

Posted by tree February 2, 10 04:49 PM

Some of the things they are stealing they only saw them on TV. they steal to own them of to sell them for money to survive.
Let's put all Excuses aside!!! No one should get a death sentence for looting. I mean IT IS ILLEGAL to LOOT yet it is also ILLEGAL AND IMMORAL To KILL FOR LOOTING.

Posted by Spactem February 2, 10 04:57 PM

Why is the US Army there? Because there was an earthquake, and people are suffering. Don't ask a stupid question.

Posted by Phil_D February 2, 10 05:05 PM

@A Simone
So its perfectly acceptable to loot an appliance store or Non-Food related store?

If they were "looting" a grocery store, your argument might work but there is NO reason to be looting in an appliance store. They dont have or sell food, they sell appliances and accessories. That is looting and needs to be punished as they see fit.

Looters come out after any natural disaster. They always try to claim they were looking for something they "needed" to survive, yet if you look at what they steal, its mostly items they wanted, not needed (I.e. A new TV, a new fridge, clothing they couldnt afford, automobiles and gasoline).

If you think that theres something horrid going on, I invite you to put up or shut up. Go to Haiti and attempt to better their lives and prevent needless death. I bet after you see looters carrying off a brand new Fridge claiming they need it when most of the country doesnt have power you get as fed up with their lies as the person who shot the looter did.

Posted by Relorian February 2, 10 05:15 PM

They're hungry, miserable and desperate!!! Why kill them over a bloody stove????? Haiti's government should rethink it's priorities! # 94: You're absolutely right! I'm dismayed by these pictures... the sadness of it all is overwhelming.

Posted by Jenny A February 2, 10 05:23 PM

it is all so heartbreaking. Everyone just trying to survive and keep their families from dying of starvation and disease. Horrifying and it will be a long, long haul for any semblance of normalty.

Posted by Debi February 2, 10 05:32 PM

SON FOTOS MUY TRISTE, PERO NOS ENSEñAS QUE NO SOMOS MUY VULNERABLES...QUE TRISTEZA LE DEL PUEBLO HAITIANO....

Posted by RAMON February 2, 10 05:34 PM

this reminds me of what happened in Greece a while back, as well as what happened in New Orleans after Katrina. I am of the opinion that what is going on in regards to this looting/burglary is wrong. Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure the man who was killed in #28 was warned before he was shot, yet he chose to ignore the warning. I could be wrong, but I at least give the security guard credit. He was hired to protect the property, and he did his job. I hope this ends soon, because I'm getting a little tired of "those poor Haitians". They're doing this to themselves. If those who were looting and killing had a sense of morals about them, and stopped, it would make the job of rebuilding the country so much easier. Its hard to help someone who just thinks that they can take advantage of other people's misfortunes.

Posted by tired February 2, 10 07:37 PM

People want to get mad about people being shot for looting... if you were the victum of a massive earthquake the last thing you want is people stealing your livelyhood too... looting is robbing someone when all their chips are gone... they should be shot. If you got no electricity... why steal my refrigerator or stoves? If you were stealing food from my fields I would be more sympathetic. Break into the one thing I might have left in the world and I'd shoot you too

Posted by SD February 2, 10 07:47 PM

CAN'T YOU SEE IT PEOPLE????IS JUST SOOOOOOOOO WRONG TO KILLING PEOPLE!!!HE WAS STEALING?CATCH HIM!!PUT HIM ON JAIL!I DON'T REALLY KNOW,DO SOMETHING!BUT YOU JUST CAN'T-SHOOT-A-HUMAN!!!YOU KNOW WHAT I SEE THERE? JUST A "SEEKING-BLOOD" AMERICAN RAMBO...

MY TEARS IS WITH THAT POOR DEAD GUY ON THE STAIRS...

Posted by TAKIS-ATHENS February 2, 10 08:08 PM

@TAKIS-ATHENS

you were probably rioting with the rest of your misguided friends about Alexander being shot too. It is wrong to kill a human for no cause. I see a cause. This man ignored the law and paid the consequences. sometimes tough times call for tough measures. I would have shot, and I am no rambo. I don't think killing people is good, but sometimes it is necessary. this one paid the price, but someone else may have learned the lesson he didn't.

Posted by Anonymous February 2, 10 09:44 PM

It is very easy to criticize any use of force when you are accustomed to having to use none. But, #27 and #28 are ridiculous.

Posted by Clint February 2, 10 10:24 PM

que triste lo que esta pasando en el hermano país de Haití tan solo 400 kilómetros de donde estoy y a qui no se siente nada como si todo es tuviese normal quisiera ayudar pero no puedo por que soy muy joven y lo que es ta pasando aya es mi fuerte para mis ojos con tan solo ver las noticias
y en el periódico el primer titulo dise que temen que las muertes en haiti pasen los200 mil muertos.

Posted by Jose Sanchez Pimentel February 2, 10 11:14 PM

@28 The looters deserve what they get? Human beings deserve to lose their life over a object?

Posted by Stephen Nesbitt February 3, 10 01:38 AM

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic in which a man's life is worth a stove.

Very sad pictures, it seems as though the world only gets worse every day.

Posted by Michael February 3, 10 02:24 AM

I'd be intrested to know where the Guard came from.

I mean there he is with a Glock, belt rig and looking very clean and tidy. Is he Local or was he flown in? US, UN or other national military forces should be able to provide logistical support sufficent to feed their own forces and beyond....Private Security organisations less so. Flying in security guards just places an extra burdens on the local infrastructure.

Posted by An Observer February 3, 10 03:13 AM

The punishment for petty theft is death? What the hell, do we live in the dark ages?

Posted by Hart' February 3, 10 04:02 AM

So much pain in those people's eyes...

Posted by Stanislava February 3, 10 04:11 AM

In picture #22, the policeman is pointing a shotgun, not a rifle. It looks like a Mossberg 590, to be precise.

Posted by Andy February 3, 10 08:59 AM

There was absolutly no good reason to shoot that looter in the back,another wannbe cop,I was in Los Angeles when the Rodney King riots went down and there were many looters but not one was shot in the back,some of these wannbe cops are dangerous and trigger happy!
I hope all of Haiti will bounce back soon!

Posted by Irish February 3, 10 09:49 AM

Thanks God i live at this side of the computer... lets pray for those people who survive the earthquake just to wake up in this hell. How much time it will take to re-build this miserable town? How can WE help them?? Is it necessary more pictures of this to make the people think?

God bless you

Posted by Daniel Morales February 3, 10 09:49 AM

#130 : Petty theft? Last time I checked in the US anything valued over $500 is a felony. I can guarantee that looted merchandise is well worth over that.
On top of that taking advantage of the situation where security is already grim, I do fully believe they need to take them out.
Or at least have them survive on their own -- It may sound cruel but the truth is it works: Survival of the fittest.

Posted by New Website February 3, 10 09:51 AM

These are incredible shots! We were in the Virgin Islands when the earthquake hit 3 weeks ago. These photos take you right into the heart of Port Au Prince.

Posted by david wayne osedach February 3, 10 10:35 AM

Excellent, thanks.

Posted by Kevin Smith February 3, 10 10:42 AM

Good to know that our charity donations are being used to hire private security guards to murder people trying to feed their family.

Posted by disgusting February 3, 10 11:48 AM

#30 is so sickingly disturbing. What could ever happened to that human being?

Posted by hildergarn February 3, 10 12:20 PM

During the crisis in New Orleans looters were shot and killed as well. In extreme situations like this it may be considered necessary to shoot looters to re-estalish order. Is the cost of a stove worth a human life? No. Is the cost to re-establish a semblance of order and lawfulness, aka society, worth a human life? Yes.

Posted by Marc Dandeneau February 3, 10 12:28 PM

All of the pictures on haiti have comments filled with god and prayers. Do you really see your lord in this mess? Mealy mouthed prayers won't help anybody, god knows some of these people where praying when it happened. If you must do something then donate some money, or better yet go there and volunteer. Empty promises of prayer and using this event to further your proselytism isn't helping anyone.

Posted by angela February 3, 10 12:51 PM

Many people have lamented the shooting of the accused looter. Some have defended the looter's actions, perhaps imagining that he was stealing in order to be able to feed his family or himself. I deplore the use of deadly force, but we know nothing of the situation, only the outcome. Perhaps he had a gun and tried to shoot the security guard. The presence of tragedy does not necessitate committing of crimes. There are many other Haitians that are surviving without having to resort to stealing. Is it okay to murder someone for the food they possess just because you and your family are going hungry? I am not trying to equate murder with looting, only I am trying to help others think objectively and logically. Emotions have a funny way of running away with us...

Posted by Andrew R February 3, 10 12:53 PM

Looting shooting looting shooting looting shooting
there's a lot more here than just criminal activity and heavy-handed "justice."

look at the hope in the face of #37. believe it or not, that's a smile.

and the hope and industriousness of #33. he lost his whole shop. but then he dug around and recovered what he could, and got it up and running where he could find space.

and just look at all the faces in #32. pretty broad spectrum of entire experience.

#40 is the most captivating. there's so much more in that face than anyone could describe. still bright eyed. he hasn't given up. is that borderline smile from childish shyness? a friendly stranger has taken time with him, wants a picture?
it seems to say "yes, it's ugly, but we're alive."

Posted by Ron Cross February 3, 10 01:18 PM

It's incredibly naive to criticize the activities of another country and it's citizens based on our standards. They simply don't apply.
It IS right to shoot looters in many (most?) countries of the world. In many countries that we are allied with the kid would have his hand cut off for stealing a loaf of bread.
The reason tough law is necessary is to ensure the weak, the helpless, the honest have a chance. Without it we'd have The Book of Eli.
Its also unfair to criticize our soldiers for their actions. They were raised in our land under our standards but they have to abandon that and apply the laws and standards of a foreign country to ensure people in other countries survive - the good ones. How hard do you think that is for them? And then they get criticized from their own people?
As to the US interfering or taking over Haiti, do you suppose the Haitians agree? Suppose we just leave then alone - no order, no food, no water. Now what would you say to the thousands of good, innocent, honest people who would die at the hands of the bad? Too bad - at least we didn't interfere.
No one wants violence but it exists and always will.
No one wants hunger and poverty but it exists and always will.
All we can do is try to help - or ignore it.
If you don't think those involved are doing a good job, go yourself.
I wonder why you aren't doing that?!

Posted by Alexander February 3, 10 01:34 PM

Is that a knife in the mans hand in picture #14? (center, white hat)

Posted by danell February 3, 10 01:41 PM

@145 Yeah, exactly. Check [@ 46]

By the way looting is like stealing. Imagine that a someone commits a forced entry into a shop at night. That's exactly what looting is.The same case applies to the fact of shooting.The same as policemen shoot stealers in action, policemen shoot looters in action too. Consider the fact that the shopowner is living a misery and will/may overcome his poverty and hunger in re-engaging in business with what he has left in his shop after the quake.
No sympathy for looters...

Posted by Naeuio Sisslo February 3, 10 03:36 PM

#132 - the guy behind him has a mauser

Posted by aubrey February 3, 10 03:46 PM

@ comment #144

You said everything I wanted to say and more.

#38 is just sick. Mankind is so depraved.

Posted by tired February 3, 10 05:39 PM

y nos quejamos teniendolo "todo"

Posted by Anonymous February 3, 10 06:16 PM

Incredible!

Posted by Wil Sylvince February 3, 10 06:16 PM

y nos quejamos teniendolo "todo" malgeniamos por todo, peleamos con nuestras familias,amigos...etc, no nos tiene contentos NADA.....en fin mil y una cosa..
Dios mio en VERDAD Perdonanos.

Posted by Cesar February 3, 10 06:21 PM

A foto 30 é muito forte, espero que aquele pobre povo recupere o mais rápido possível, abraços de Portugal

Posted by Tiago Jesus February 3, 10 06:57 PM

solo una pregunta: que hace el ejercito de estados unidos???? basta por ustedes hay hambre

Posted by daniel February 3, 10 10:35 PM

It is really sad to see thievery in this situation. As one may think, those committing the crime can benefit their families by selling the stolen goods i.e. the stove. Instead, they are just hurting the family owned business, whose store is already in ruins and will take many measures to help their own situation, and the looters are just adding more hardships for everyone in a already tragic situation.

Posted by Rusty Shackelford February 4, 10 03:00 AM

amazing...

Posted by charlie February 4, 10 07:26 AM

In response to the post by: by Rahmat Febrianto:

"#27, #28 I can't believe people were shot to death just because trying to find something to eat--yes they just wanted to eat something..."

I am not sure how edible a Air Con unit etc is. I think there needs to be a distinction between looting food and looting to make a profit (or just getting goods for free). Whilst it certainly does not excuse any killings by 'trigger happy private securities' (mercenaries?), I cannot find this acceptable.
Least so, as these remaining businesses are essentially the ones who can potentially restart the city and its economy.

Posted by Maxine February 4, 10 07:30 AM

that makes me so sad...

Posted by Dominik February 4, 10 09:25 AM

Save the home appliance first !

Posted by Etienne February 4, 10 10:11 AM

Superbes les photos 15 et 16

Posted by Paul February 4, 10 12:47 PM

I'm at work watching this just crying and I can't stop crying those poor children and families that are suffering, starving.... It hurts me. I feel so bad and ashamed of myself to feel like I had it bad... I pray to God that these survivors make it and get the help needed please everyone do what you can it only takes 1.00 from everyone to make a big difference. I only wish I was a million or billionaire so that I could really help

Posted by Contessia February 4, 10 01:26 PM

thats so sad

Posted by brittney February 4, 10 05:37 PM

Arresting the looters doesn't serve the purpose..... serve them with food, care n love...atleast save them from the already dead population......this is not the time to follow law n order when nothing is on order.....
when you are not given food you will also tend to steal..... of course stealing is not right..treat them in a good way at this juncture...
GOD please stop any more future disaster like this......

Posted by Sara February 5, 10 02:32 AM

I'm torn....;
What are the Haitians doing themselves?
No clearing of any rubble, no removing of dead bodies (accept the occasional burning on-the-spot).
OK, in the beginning shock reigned, but now?
Now a group of men is engaged in hacking away cement and bricks, to get out the iron bars, to re-sell it. Not to help make a new start....
Already foodstamps are in the hands of corrupt officials. One would think that now this practice would subside..... But no!
But what shocked me the most is the report on supermarkets filled to the brim with food and drink and everything you could wish for.
These supermarkets were literally on the other side of the street and one lady (with a well-filled shoppingcart was asked what she was doing to help her fellow countrymen who had lost all. Her reply?? "Nothing"!!!!
A small country like The Netherlands is coughing up like 120 million euro's, in large part taxpayers money.
Fine by me, but if I hear and see what's going on overthere, doubt creeps upon me. Alas.....

Posted by wiel February 5, 10 05:45 AM

some of these pictures will make a good map for call of duty :D

Posted by sharpie February 5, 10 07:34 AM

I found it somewhat ironic with the photo of local guards followed by bunch of western journalist holding fancy DSLRs...

Posted by nahlene February 5, 10 09:05 AM

FORCE ALWAYS ATTRACTS MEN OF LOW MORALITY.
(What a strange species we are)
I am very sad.......!!!!!

Posted by PATRICIA DILLON February 5, 10 01:16 PM

Amazing pictures; very moving. Thank you, as always.

Posted by Adam February 5, 10 05:08 PM

Why kill them for looting i mean hell look at what there stealing. (microwaves, stoves, televisions, notice all items they could use in there time of need.) Do we really expect those poor Innocent children to eat hard rice. I mean its not like the person that owns that business is going to get any business for a while when 1milion of the population is homeless. That just some bullsh*t...

Posted by life21 February 5, 10 08:14 PM

They are probably taking stoves because they need to cook the friggin' rice the UN is giving them. Shooting them for trying to survive is RIDICULOUS!

Posted by yo February 6, 10 02:01 AM

Where are the aids as promised. And all those donated money from the international efforts? All we see are people are still hungry and kids are looting because there's nothing out there. What a pack of lies about the helps. Photos tell no lies. Money are all swindled to the hidden hands for sure...... Disgusting.....

Posted by Zie L. February 6, 10 03:17 AM

We have to get rid of private security contractors...it seems like they have no restraint and use people as target practice. The looter shot on the floor and the guy shooting him is horrific and should be put on display all over the media. This has got to stop!

Posted by Brampton February 6, 10 08:27 AM

Desperate times call for desparate measures. I've worked all my life, never stealing from people. But I know I would steal from anyone, if I were in the hell that is haiti right now, in order to hustle to feed my family. If the government can't provide for it's citizens, what are they to do? Starve to death?? Anyone who thinks stealing is immoral, in this situation, has never walked a mile in someone elses shoes, never mind in a true time of crisis. They were probably born with a silver spoon up their nose. If my world turned into survival of the fittest, I choose to kick ass! Eat and not be eaten. Luckily, I live in a country where pornographists become senators, the rich rob the working class....etc. Who is whom to criticize??? No society is perfect, and the U.S. Is far from it!

Posted by Cruz February 6, 10 10:35 AM

I guess it's not as easy to organize everything in a time of crisis. You would think that the people there would want to work together in helping eachother out rather than taking from eachother and only causing more problems. The woman in photo 38 is only trying to keep some of what she had left and people are trying to steal from her. In a time of crisis I don't know why people would be so aggressive.

Posted by Savanna February 6, 10 03:27 PM

fantastic article that vividly portrays the pertinent issues and dilemmas that are facing the Haitians after the earthquake. (:

Posted by Ignatious February 6, 10 08:19 PM

I hope the security guard gets a life sentence for showing so little respect for this man's life. What's up with this cameraman showing the picture of a burning corps? Was that necessary? Really, was it necessary?

Posted by Lunick Desrosiers February 6, 10 10:57 PM

this is so hard to believe, this people fighting for survive. i just wondering what the hell are doing the us trooper with war weapons there. they supose bring support. let just pray for haitians and all the world.

Posted by Marc February 7, 10 12:24 AM

God bless you all for documenting the realization of this tragedy so that we can all reach out a helping hand...ONLY WAY TO SHOW OUR APPRECIATION FOR LIFE IS BY BEING THERE FOR THOSE IN NEED(Noa-Sunday 7th 2010 )

Posted by Anonymous February 7, 10 11:30 AM

I really hope that security guard goes to jail or something...why would you shoot a looter that is unarmed and running away?? seriously i hope something will or has been done about that

Posted by JOHN February 7, 10 08:37 PM

they are not looters!!!

Posted by Anonymous February 8, 10 04:26 AM

väldigt många negrer

Posted by Pontus Holm February 8, 10 06:16 AM

Hah, that dude at picture11 is totally hot, i'd hit that!

Posted by Jess February 8, 10 07:27 AM

looters get's ganked.. there's no epic so why bother?

Posted by spagetti February 8, 10 07:59 AM

so sad to witness it all.

but mostly really angry about our efforts, wich doesnt seem to deminish their suffering.

once more, where are the f*ck are our leaders?!

all brazilians wish Haiti better days.

Posted by charles February 8, 10 08:37 AM

#180 För många. Skalvet var visst inte tillräckligt stort :(

Posted by Björn Söder February 8, 10 09:25 AM

DONT COMMENT THE PICTURES 24 and 39 bacause if the us wasnt there it would been alot worse! and at 39 ur seriously not jumping in a queue for any reason! sure he want medic supplies but so does everyone else. is us army wouldnt been there it would have been gangs that made the laws.

Posted by Mattias February 8, 10 01:53 PM

Tanta gente morta, morrendo, sofrendo, famintos..............sofrendo

E alguem ainda atira para matar por causa nenhuma.....amarram como se fossem bichos...Que isso.........merecem pena.....escrupulo.....

São essas que deveriam estar mortas....

Posted by Anonymous February 8, 10 08:37 PM

why could they not have just tyed up the looter like the rest of them. no need to be killing anyone who is unarmed

Posted by bill February 9, 10 10:01 AM

To all the bleeding hearts in regards to the extreme punishments being shown, arrests, shootings, ect, this happens every day. This happens all around you. When things are as they should be the system is invisible. You know why you dont walk out of your home just to find someone mugging you and then witness them being shot on your doorstep as the authorities show up? The system is doing its job.

In Haiti the system has collapsed because of uncontrollable circumstances so it is now in full view. The man wasnt shot because he was trying to steal a stove. He was shot because HE WAS TRYING TO STEAL.

Something bad happens to a lesser nation and all of a sudden they are completely above reproach for their actions and yet we are somehow responsible for putting the pieces back together.

Had this been a picture from say, LA where a man broke into a store and was trying to steal something and was shot as he attempted to flea you wouldnt bat an eye. You wouldnt care a bit.

Yes the man is a looter. Yes he's trying to take advantage of the situation. The situation sucks. Of course he's trying to take any advantage that he can get. Does it make it right? No. Times of great turmoil do not liberate you from the laws. It should be exactly the opposite. If the world is coming together to save a country in need then the very least we should ask is that the country's people do the same.

Posted by Deek February 9, 10 10:38 AM

the man who was shot in 27 & 28 was not alone and there had been a large group arrested earlier that day in the same store as seen in 25.

Posted by knostomuch February 9, 10 11:24 AM

Pictures don’t always tell the truth, they do however, capture a moment in time!

Photo 25

From: (Reuters/St Felix Evans)
Do any of you responders see the fridge on its side, surrounded by a crowd of disheartened looters, spread about the floor (reference to be 45)? Did the shooting take place B4 or after this scene?

Photo 27

From: (AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa)
Are photos 27 and 25 from the same setting, different scene! Why is there no reflection of the security guard on back of the fridge? Compare the debris on the floor, some has been moved, while some hasn’t! Note the security guard is standing on the same black (item) as the looters right foot is on in photo (25)!

Photo 28

From: (Marco Dormino/MINUSTAH via Getty Images)
If Ramon Espinosa shot (photo 27), why did he/she not provide their version of photo 28? Where is the crowd of on lookers in photos 25? Look at the lighting difference in photo 25, much brighter isn’t it! By the dust fragments underneath the on-lookers feet, one must suspect the glass has been crushed from being walked on in photo 25, but it is intact in photo 27!

NOTE:

According to the evidence provided, (presumably dates the photos were taken, photos from 3 different cameras, and individuals reporting from 3 different affiliates. Curiously though, the photos all took place on 29 Jan 2010. Coming from three different “journalist”, using digital cameras, I accept we may never come to realize the truth; confusion has its virtues in the game of chess!

Posted by IamHopefulIam February 9, 10 11:33 AM

FORÇA SEMPRE!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Manoel Coutinho February 9, 10 11:34 AM

something very disturbing about the #27, #28 sequence......

Posted by Robert McAlpine February 9, 10 03:21 PM

lol

Posted by my ass February 9, 10 05:49 PM

I've borrowed oversized photography books from the library - Eugene Smith, Robert Capa, Peter Magubane (South Africa), David Duncan (Vietnam), many others, but.......I've never seen photos such as these - the quality, clarity, sharpness, the emotion, power, feeling - these photos are just astounding. Thanks for taking/sending/sharing.

Posted by David Broida February 9, 10 10:57 PM

Although terrible and sad, the capability of these photos to transport are amazing. Excellent job ... !

Posted by Damian February 9, 10 11:01 PM

With each photo, I pause in silence and in prayer. I will be there, on Feb. 19. It is time we serve, with our minds, eyes, and hands open and willing to cradle those in desperate need. It is time. May G-d bless every one of them.

Posted by Julia February 10, 10 02:08 PM

joe the plumber-please learn how to spell unacceptable. and since when is a stove or refrigerator worth a human life? let me guess, you own guns, and lots of them.

Posted by Mapuana February 11, 10 09:16 PM

# 32. May God bless them.

Posted by Tulio February 12, 10 07:07 AM

Shooting looters is a much worse crime than looting ! Shame on the killers ! killing somebody for a broken appliance I can't believe this is happening and that they justify their killing . I wish the killers will end in hell forever !

Posted by Claude February 12, 10 01:49 PM

Everythnig went gone after earthquake in Haiti!!! God help them and all people all over the world!!!

Posted by Nenad February 12, 10 03:50 PM

Right, praying sure does a lot of good for the haitians.

Posted by srsly February 14, 10 02:47 PM

i cant beleive wee are sitting in comfort in our living room dreaming of gold medals & there hoping & dreaming somebody will give them food all wee can hope is that a goverment will take hold & lots people will be there for them for a long time you are in my prayers everyday nicole ont canada

Posted by nicole filion February 15, 10 11:25 AM

Stop praying, hasn't really helped them, send money instead...

Posted by Matte February 15, 10 11:48 PM

patience,

Posted by jumbai February 16, 10 07:31 PM

oh my goodness....

this makes me want to cry.

Posted by bea February 18, 10 08:48 AM

excelentes fotos me pregunto los seres humanos no aprendemos nada seguramente despues de este desastre no olvidaremos de haiti y esta gente necesita la ayuda de todos nosotros

Posted by fabian February 18, 10 11:40 AM

may GOD help the people of Haiti.

Posted by francis February 22, 10 07:30 AM

a total mess... really informative pictures.

Posted by Rizky February 22, 10 11:54 AM

The story behind photo #27 is at http://www.boston.com/news/world/latinamerica/articles/2010/01/29/us_soldiers_halt_violence_between_guards_looters/

That would be a nice link to put in the caption, I imagine everyone who sees that sequence would want to know more.

Posted by Marcus February 24, 10 01:15 AM

This makes me cry,
May God help them !

Posted by mimilie February 24, 10 09:27 AM

great photographies

Posted by catalina February 24, 10 01:25 PM

The penalty for all theft should be death. America should just drop its hypocrisy and admit it values property far more than life.

Posted by phil February 26, 10 12:59 PM

Photo number 6
Just like from Alan Wake
Great photographies indeed!

Posted by Razer April 11, 10 07:50 AM

the majority we have never experienced such sorrow i lived a childhood of domestic violence & at times wished death on my father whos hands were so vicious, looking now at the memories as a 40 year old i think wow how did i survive but at those moments you are in pain lost confused dealing not happy, safe, warm, still, full, but scarred, lonley sad terrified, anxious , miserable, worried, frantic all the emotions that create choices that ultimatly do not give you a good outcome in haiti they are not full they are lost & what eva they do to survive they do jail and murder should not be an option.anyone who can not understand that are inhumane

Posted by rosemary April 18, 10 11:52 PM