January 20, 2010 Permalink

Gold

Sought after since the beginning of recorded history, gold remains a highly valued metal, reaching record highs recently, climbing over 135% in value in the past year alone. The recent rise in the price of gold comes just as annual worldwide mine production has decreased - down by nearly 8% since 2001. In human history, only 161,000 tons of gold have been mined - more than half of that extracted in just the past 50 years. Collected here are a handful of recent photographs of people searching for, mining, rediscovering, celebrating, buying and selling gold. (37 photos total)

A visitor touches the world's largest solid gold brick weighing 220kg (worth over US $7.8 million at today's price), at the Jinguashi Gold Museum in Ruifang, Taipei county, on December 2, 2009. (SAM YEH/AFP/Getty Images)

Very interesting photos, thanks for sharing.

Posted by Konrad Brofesovich January 20, 10 01:01 PM

I work at a gold mine, it was a rush to hold an 18kg ingot.

But when it boils down to it, all this fuss over a shiny yellow metal.....

Cheers for the pictures.

Posted by human being January 20, 10 01:06 PM

Posted by Federico January 20, 10 01:12 PM

Amazing photo collection as usual. The disparity between the industrial mine in 36 and the illegal miners in 27 is immense but the destruction in both is evident.

Posted by Matthew January 20, 10 01:14 PM

amazing! i love gold! :)

Posted by Prosens January 20, 10 01:17 PM

lol, that pic of the titans player surprised me

Posted by jason bourne January 20, 10 01:30 PM

You lose points, for once, for not including an image from the Staffordshire Hoard - very gold, and very current. http://www.staffordshirehoard.org.uk/

Posted by csrster January 20, 10 01:30 PM

Super! Five star!

Posted by Ali January 20, 10 01:30 PM

There's such a striking visual difference between the photographs of gold artwork and how that gold is produced: pure beauty versus raw industry. Incredible!

Posted by Doug January 20, 10 01:35 PM

BORING. A giant step backwards for The Big Picture. How about "Navel Fuzz" or "Personalized Toothpicks".

You were doing so well with Haiti. Anyone can take stock photos of museum pieces.

Posted by Ruth F. January 20, 10 01:38 PM

#10
i doubt that these are made from gold.

Posted by Mugros January 20, 10 01:52 PM

Who determines if gold miners are legal or illegal? How can someone "own" the gold floating down a river?

Posted by Jeff January 20, 10 02:00 PM

There are several of these photo collections a week. They aren't all going to be photos of people dying. Sorry to disappoint you.
I thought it was a beautiful entry.

Posted by Anonymous January 20, 10 02:08 PM

amazing pictures!

Posted by lyonsd January 20, 10 02:16 PM

#34 - what a waste of gold

Posted by paul January 20, 10 02:24 PM

#12 misses the point entirely (sigh): "They aren't all going to be photos of people dying. Sorry to disappoint you." How arrogant!

Posted by Jeff DanLeoni January 20, 10 02:32 PM

Wow, talk about excess in #5. You know what this sushi is missing? Gold.

Posted by Ahab January 20, 10 02:33 PM

As David Cross once said:
"Tasteless, odorless gold. To eat! And I thought, 'Wow man, if that isn't the ultimate 'F**K YOU!' to poor people, then I don't know what is...."

Posted by Meg January 20, 10 02:35 PM

lol to poster 14. So little we do with gold is useful. In my mind, it's a worthless metal, because all of its great properties for electronics is easily outweighed by its cost, driven up because people think it's pretty.

Posted by Matt January 20, 10 02:37 PM

my son would say " these pictures are WIN!"

Posted by memba January 20, 10 02:53 PM

Oooh... look at the shiny stuff. My preciousssssss!

Humans are really no better than much more primitive species. All of this destruction and greed over a shiny substance.

Posted by LawrenceS January 20, 10 02:54 PM

I don't understand the point I'm missing. This is a photo blog with news photos from around the world. Sometimes they are about wars or natural disasters and sometimes they are about things like gold. Why would people complain about the content? The pictures are always amazing.

Posted by Anonymous January 20, 10 02:55 PM

Truly stunning ...

Posted by Anonymous January 20, 10 03:12 PM

Thanks for putting picture #5 next to picture #6, it really gets the point across.

Yes I understand that peoples general craving for this material is what enables others to live off of it, but still, seeing those kids working to mine gold next to a gold plated meal is just sickening.

Posted by Chris January 20, 10 03:29 PM

These are interesting.

Posted by MERCH! January 20, 10 03:53 PM

Hehe I'd take a nail file with me and rasp some of of that giant block ^^

Posted by John January 20, 10 03:53 PM

Epic!

Posted by dip January 20, 10 03:55 PM

Please no more posts saying effectively "nice pics." Every Big Picture entry has about 1/2 the posts giving non-specific accolades. BLAH BLAH.

Posted by Anonymous January 20, 10 03:56 PM

You know, it's pretty and all, but only man assigned value to this. I mean seriously...it's just a mineral.

Don't get me wrong though, the photos are wonderful here, they always are.

Posted by JJ January 20, 10 03:57 PM

Too bad gold mining in the US is HORRIBLY POLLUTING when mining companies leave pools of untreated chemicals laying around and never clean them up. They also destroy land including sacred Native American areas as well. Don't buy gold!

Posted by Kokgiak's wife January 20, 10 04:07 PM

Thanks for the nice pictures! At least I don't have to look at depressing pictures all the time. I don't know about other people, but that really takes a toll on my psych (Is that a word?).
I don't understand the fascination with gold. It's practically lead except its yellow and yet people are willing to go the distance to get it. I think the human race are conditioned to treat gold a a valuable commodity just like paper money. When you think about it, the money in your wallet is just paper yet you won't burn it or throw it away.
People.........Strange.........

Posted by Luk January 20, 10 04:08 PM

Yet another graphic illustration of just how destructive humanity is.

Posted by Doc January 20, 10 04:16 PM

Dear Federico,
Yours truly,
me

Posted by kevjohn January 20, 10 04:35 PM

I am personally disappointed that there was no photo of Glen Beck telling us how much he loves gold... while on his show, which is sponsored by a company that buys gold... whom he does advertisements for...

I hate that man...

Great photos though!

Posted by Andrew January 20, 10 04:50 PM

A significant player in the gold market is not featured here... Where is South Africa?? Johannesburg, the city of gold (Known to locals as Egoli)??

Posted by Christine January 20, 10 05:15 PM

@Federico: "Does all the gold in the world worth one minute of the stolen happines of a single one child seen in this pictures?"

You mean the children whose families have an income because of gold, and hence aren't dying of starvation? You talk about "stolen happines [sic]" but the one child whose face we can see wears a smile.

Posted by Tim January 20, 10 05:25 PM

Finally, something cool instead of more Haiti, Haiti, Haiti...thanks, Big Picture!

Posted by Otto January 20, 10 05:32 PM

For Pic #14 - very appropriate that the photo is from a game involving the 49ers (who are, of course, named after prospectors from the California gold rush).

Posted by Anonymous January 20, 10 05:54 PM

Au my, those are nice pictures! :)

Posted by Todd January 20, 10 06:20 PM

hermanos haitianos les mandamos toda la fuerza estamos con ustedes en este duro momento los argentinos rezamos por ustedes no reneguemos de dios x algo pasan las cosas y si el dispuso esto por algo debe ser aunque duela y no sepamos poque pasa esto ,tienen que ser fuertes sus seres queridos estan descansando en paz ,mucha pero mucha fuerza estamos con ustedes

Posted by mirta,seba,y jesy January 20, 10 06:33 PM

Talk about treasures: All of a sudden, I wish I could work at Christie's. :-)

Posted by Andy January 20, 10 07:15 PM

wowww i want it

Posted by rafifajar January 20, 10 07:40 PM

Very interesting photos, thanks for sharing.
You' ve demonstrated the two sides of gold: the luxurious side and the side of hard work.

Congratulations !

Posted by Cibelle R. January 20, 10 07:45 PM

Just piping in to say I'd love to see a big picture feature on navel fuzz (#10).

Posted by crodreras January 20, 10 07:54 PM

I love #36. I would like to live there. :)

Posted by Richi January 20, 10 08:15 PM

Currency that still has value 1000 years later? (#2)

What will a US dollar be worth in 1000 years?

10 years?

Posted by puzzling January 20, 10 08:27 PM

The one thing that people miss when they say "it's just a shiny metal" is that it is a metal that essentially, for all practical purposes does not corrode and once refined lasts in the same state for ever. This stability is rare. It is also the most malleable and ductile of metals. This in itself explains much of it's usefulness to humans since the beginning of our mucking about with minerals.

The fact that humans get hypnotized by shiny things like Disney figurines and Sushi topings is another matter entirely. :P

Posted by Maria January 20, 10 09:00 PM

Awesome pictures...

The Dalada Maligawa in Kandy, Sri Lanka could have had a place here though. It has a gold plated roof with hundreds of solid gold artifacts inside the temple. The Brunei gold domed mosques could also have been included.

Other than those, the pictures as always are very informative and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Bravo on the good pictures.

Posted by King January 20, 10 09:17 PM

Amazing to see how Gold history is a human civilizations mirror

Posted by Anonymous January 20, 10 09:50 PM

Interesting pictures.

more than 10 out of 37 photos from a gold store in Tokyo!

Where are the pictures from the Gold Souk in Dubai and those from India? Especially of the the ornate jewelry.

Posted by Huzefa January 20, 10 09:56 PM

I like how it's illegal if it's not a huge company or government operation. F them, if these people can do it, more power to them.

Posted by barry eagan January 20, 10 10:02 PM

Whether it was intentional or not the pairing of photos 5 and 6 is perfect.

Posted by Cvnk January 20, 10 11:03 PM

mmmm... gold sushi...

Posted by drow January 21, 10 01:12 AM

I photographed the Gold Museum in Bogota Colombia back in 2005. Amazing collection.

Posted by Eric January 21, 10 01:34 AM

My sister's step-son is 6 years old and one day while we were walking my dog, Zachary found big glass bead and exclaimed "HEY! I Found Gold!" he was so proud and excited, made me smile and then he says "here you can have it."
It is on my desk right now. :-D

Posted by Aliwishes January 21, 10 02:17 AM

Lovely pictures...such a shame that while some have in abundance other have to scrounge for the bare minimum...there is so much of disparity in society today and we humans are the cause of all this imbalance...not all the gold and money in the world can protect you in the face of natural calamity...and as we sow, so shall we reap...it's high time we realise this basic truth of nature and pull up our socks...better late than never...

Posted by aanchal January 21, 10 02:18 AM

I am a Chinese geologist. Very beautiful pictures and useful materials. Thank you very much.

Posted by Dechen Su January 21, 10 02:38 AM

I think you can put a lot of things on the web. Minerals, plants, animals, people..... That's useful.

Posted by Dechen Su January 21, 10 02:41 AM

#5 is digusting! Highlighted by #6 following it.

@Tim - yes, I'm sure he loves the manual labour every day to eke out a meager existence. Who needs to go to school anyway? Half-wit.

Posted by Paul January 21, 10 04:51 AM

amazing.
I love your blog!

Posted by beltxa January 21, 10 05:19 AM

civilisations have been wiped out off of that crap, african children are dying over that crap, only for these w greedy bloodsuckers to make stupid novelties

Posted by freedomfighter January 21, 10 05:31 AM

Stark contrast with Haiti pics. Strange world that we live in. Well done.

Posted by cdrmike January 21, 10 05:48 AM

Hi,

I work at a gold mine, it was a rush to hold an 18kg ingot.

But when it boils down to it, all this fuss over a shiny yellow metal.....

Cheers for the pictures.

Posted by socialmediapark January 21, 10 06:08 AM

Amazing to see the contrast of the miners and the people who are going to buy the products. It is a living for few and a novel for the other. What I also see is the capability of the humans.

Posted by nagaprashanth January 21, 10 07:18 AM

Brilliant Photographs.
Can you do a similar one on diamonds? that would be even more captivating!

Posted by Aditya January 21, 10 07:29 AM

I've got a crush on the girl of photo #29

:-P

Posted by Thomas Dewaele January 21, 10 07:39 AM

" Gold Fire -Assayer" for years! I got lead poisoning from it, have brain lesions to prove it, and live on welfare for it! Greedy Corporations in Canada victimized me! They watch and at the first signs of lead poisoning in workers, downsize them out the door to avoid the high medical costs they will face! Gold mining- not a fair and friendly corporate effort at all!

Posted by Uncle B January 21, 10 07:39 AM

People eating gold make me sick.

Posted by Anonymous January 21, 10 07:54 AM

Gold? it is all about Unobtainium nowadays.

Posted by Marcos January 21, 10 08:54 AM

Wow, such destruction.. I had hoped to see pictures of some more beautiful objects, but solid gold Disney figures.. busts of Mao.. give me a break. Such blatant misuse of such precious material borders on the criminal.

Posted by Renze January 21, 10 09:47 AM

Excelente material. Agradezco que lo hayan compartido.

Posted by Marcelo Carámbula (República Oriental del Uruguay) January 21, 10 10:36 AM

Wish I had just 1% of all that "Gold"

Posted by Karl Stupke January 21, 10 11:59 AM

I love gold..wish i culd wrk 4 a cmpany

Posted by Ricardo January 21, 10 12:21 PM

Gold Score:
Man's Greed and Lust for riches: 1
Earth being destroyed to get the gold: 0
Poor people being taken advantage of for gold: 0
Very sad indeed - 1 Timothy 6:9,10

Posted by RogerT January 21, 10 12:57 PM

It's clear from these pictures, and from history, that gold and the desire for it are an engine of misery.

Posted by Richard January 21, 10 01:10 PM

A little surprised that there are no photos of America's historic gold rush areas... (California and Alaska.)

Was looking for them as I went through these, and was disappointed.

Posted by Laura January 21, 10 02:08 PM

Very nice BP but how can you forget the Golden Temple, Pb, India

Posted by PremSingh January 21, 10 02:11 PM

Maybe set your minds to Haiti

Posted by Rob January 21, 10 03:07 PM

Really reached for the low hanging fruit on this photo assignment.

Bring back The Big Picture! This is embarrassing. Must every visitor give the standard accolades like "great pics" or "wow" even for this? This is bush league photojournalism not worthy of the usual photo blog entries at The Big Picture. Somebody phoned this one in.

Bring back the good stuff!

Posted by Ruth F. January 21, 10 03:59 PM

What's even sadder is all that gold being made into busts of gods that don't exist for those poor people who mine it to throw more of their money at the feet of these gods. That is sad.

Posted by Anonymous January 21, 10 07:17 PM

I'm not an historian nor a philosopher. I noted that the images included the profane, (Disney). And no reference to the qualities that made gold sacred to the ancients. I think that gold was revered not for its monetary value but for its LASTING BEAUTY. Those that made this documentary only value what can be bought or sold. The elders valued symbols of eternity. The makers of this collage are sadly lacking in understanding.

Posted by ehswan January 21, 10 09:54 PM

absolutely frivolous worldwide obsession

Posted by Laura January 21, 10 10:17 PM

Great photos!

Posted by Ed January 21, 10 10:38 PM

What about 14?

Posted by JJ Castillejo January 21, 10 11:40 PM

Are the snow white figurines licensed?

here are some gold car models my Michael Dunlap

Posted by Ricardo January 22, 10 04:47 AM

miracle of world

Posted by just lhie January 22, 10 05:56 AM

Actually is Brazil's northern state of Pará.

Posted by Luciano Duque January 22, 10 06:17 AM

#5 & #6 Together they say everything about the world we live in... Sad...

Posted by Arkadije January 22, 10 06:28 AM

In the subtitle of picture #16 there´s an error. The name of brazilian state is Pará and not Paral. I am brazilian by the way. Great pictures. I always visit the website.

Posted by Daniel January 22, 10 08:43 AM

Cool pictures!
The right name for the Brazilian state mentioned in #16 is "Para" (no L at the end)

Posted by Isaaq tunisio January 22, 10 09:59 AM

i love gold and pics are too good.

Posted by sagar arora January 22, 10 11:22 AM

#79 - Please take a moment to realize that Alan creates this collection for a collective readership and not just for your tastes. For all I know you may have a professional photographers sensibilitity but each and every one of the millions who view these photos do not. We come here to be educated, delighted, moved, and also simultaneously slowly moved along the way to a better understanding of photo journalism. The various positive comments one sees here related to postings mean that Alan is reaching viewers. Not you in all cases, but someone. And reaching each someone is important to a newspaper. So please realize this is not about you but rather about all of us. This is a large and varied community and we grow and learn together.

Posted by Bruce Zimmerman January 22, 10 11:45 AM

I was struck by juxtaposition of the picture of gold leaf being eaten with sushi followed by the picture of children panning for gold.

Shame.

Posted by Weaver Habl January 22, 10 11:50 AM

Wow! That is an amazing photo of a huge chunk of gold!! BTW, I've quickly glanced through all your photos and they are all soo great!

Posted by sandy January 22, 10 12:23 PM

Bruce Zimmerman, you are truly priceless. Exactly the response I thought I'd see to my earlier post....pure pretentiousness. A Hallmark card couldn't have produced more pious bilious umbrage than your comment.

Thank you.

And thanks for the return of The Big Picture with the newest Haiti photos! Finally no more stock photos!

Posted by Ruth F. January 22, 10 01:49 PM

Gold is money. To all the people griping about this "useless" metal, why don't you throw away your "useless" dollar bills out of your wallet? Gold is money that no government can devalue, destabilize or destroy.

Posted by Mike January 22, 10 05:51 PM

Beautiful images. Thanks for posting them. Been to the Ginza Tanaka store many many times.

Gold IS money. The US Dollar is an unpayable debt obligation.

Posted by John January 22, 10 06:41 PM

as a child in california in 1972 i worked in a spray paint factory. feel guilty for using paint you have ruined my life

Posted by brain damage January 22, 10 10:09 PM

This photo essay basically shows how absurd the obsession with gold is.

Posted by Kayla January 23, 10 01:10 AM

Gold! The only metal that man has been looking up to for the last 5000 yrs...... Amazing..... :)

Posted by Shashikiran Srinivasa January 23, 10 01:37 AM

there are many undiscovered mysteries out there ...........that continue to unfold ..........Gold has traditionally been used by individuals and bankers in finance since the beginning of mining..........When scientists have some more time to play with gold .........we may see that it has chemical /physical properties .........

that make it immeasurably more valuable than it's value as a medium of finance..........

although as a antidote to BANKER and POLITICIAN FRAUD (BTD's: banker transmitted diseases ie debasement of fiat (paper) currencies) it is becoming more valuable by the day .....

Posted by john bower January 23, 10 11:18 AM

Drop a bar of gold into the middle of Haiti and surround it with loaded firearms.

Now the results from that would make a truly disgusting Big Picture.

Posted by thunderleg January 23, 10 05:47 PM

Every form of low-tech gold mining is not "panning".
To "pan" for gold requires an actual pan.

Posted by Sal Monella January 23, 10 10:34 PM

love golds, but we must remember,we should love and protect our nature

Posted by anjo January 24, 10 10:18 PM

interesting having this gallery between to haiti galleries.

Posted by romke January 24, 10 10:32 PM

If you hate the govt, then you should BUY lots of silver and gold bullion and shun their worthless debt coupons called Federal Reserve Toliet Paper.

Bets the hell out of having your purchasing power STOLEN from you (and then having to pay tax for the privilege of earning a NEGATIVE real interest rate!

Screw Congress and screw the "Fed" and HOARD REAL MONEY!

Posted by Big Daddy J January 24, 10 11:23 PM

This photo set is one of the reasons for the over-inflation of a regular, albeit rare mineral. It causes the ravaging of many regions by people in order to gather as much "treasure" as they can not realizing they are actually destroying the real treasure.

Great photos no matter!

Posted by sacha January 25, 10 01:08 AM

All that glitters is gold, but something which does not may also be gold, be careful not to miss it.

Posted by Prabhakar Agrawal January 25, 10 08:13 AM

gold and silver are finite. unlike US Dollars. they are infinite.

Posted by Glaw January 25, 10 08:24 AM

"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - zero." (Voltaire, 1694-1778)

Great photographs!!!

Posted by Yosemite Sam January 25, 10 12:21 PM

ALE JAJA JAKIE ZLOTO

Posted by Anonymous January 25, 10 01:30 PM

"#34 - what a waste of gold"

#17 also.

Posted by Hugo Eckener January 25, 10 02:48 PM

The Real Beauty of the Barbarous Relic is now evident for all those not willingly blind or ignorant to see with clarity.

The frauds we refer to as The Fed, in league with equally adept fraudsters, the Politicians, together with the ignorant and/or paid for Main Stream Media, have, in unison, allowed the biggest theft in the history of mankind to take place, unreported and, in reality, ignored. Any individual that is informed would understand this and write off any and all statements by these creeps, understanding that they have no interest in the real truth, only the truth that is manufactured for public consumption. This is what a fiat money system not only allows, but encourages, until there is nothing left to steal, either directly or by inflation. Will our banksters and "leaders" move to the south of France with all the other despots on the planet when the financial house of cards they have built finally falls completely down?

I've heard/read it all: barbarous relic, useless metal, people/places destroyed to acquire the metal, blah, blah, blah. The reality: this "useless" metal has been held in high regard by humanity for thousands of years for many reasons AND is, once again, shining brightly now, telling all who will notice that the fiat money system has been abused to the point of near worthlessness, as has always been the case with the "paper of the politicians".

The choice today: fiat paper or physical gold - take your choice, but be careful, for choices have consequences, the choices you make today quite literally determining the state of your future, ie, poverty or not. If you believe the hypocrites/liars/cheats, go on and accumulate their paper. If not, there is no choice but to buy the "barbarous relic".

Posted by kirk January 25, 10 03:41 PM

For more info about how gold is produced and how you can help clean it up, see www.nodirtygold.org - the No Dirty Gold campaign.

Posted by NDG January 25, 10 04:42 PM

Yes Kirk, I couldn`t have said it better.............bought gold bars in 2001 at average price of $ 277.00 US/oz...........no paper money,anywhere,anykind would have earned me almost 400% return.......and counting.

Posted by Victor January 25, 10 06:02 PM

Dont know why the bad mouth for the beautiful shiny yellow metal.....obsession with paper currency is worse.....people do far worse things to obtain paper.

Posted by Keith January 25, 10 07:11 PM

Does anyone know the exact address of this Divr & Stoler business in New York ? :)

Posted by Butch Cassidy January 25, 10 09:17 PM

Mao?!

Posted by Fail January 26, 10 03:26 AM

Not realy good

Posted by Sw_ez January 26, 10 09:59 AM

If I have the opportunity to touch so much gold, I'm sure to have long nails to scratch a little milligram ^ ^

Posted by Anonymous January 26, 10 10:10 AM

ohhhhhhhh is beautiful the 18 because with gold she has made disney land statue

Posted by THIISHA (L) January 26, 10 11:13 AM

for the first pictures, I think that incredible!
how a (lingot) can is big!

Posted by thomas -fert January 26, 10 11:23 AM

i realy love gold but i did'n love the sacrifice to do when we what to make. it is degelas

Posted by joseph January 26, 10 11:31 AM

The thought occurred to me that maybe gold only has real value to "the gods" and not to ignorant humans. And many thousands of years ago when "the gods" came to this planet, they instructed humans to accumulate as much of this substance as possible, so when "the gods" return it will be waiting for them to take. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants. This wild idea really makes me smile.

Posted by C C ZLOZA January 26, 10 11:42 AM

Most of the comments reveal the almost total ignorance of the US population regarding the role of gold in the overal economic picture. Every paper currency in history has ended in disaster, and now the dollar is too.

Posted by lawrence January 26, 10 04:56 PM

The gold leaf being eaten is probably only about $10 US worth of gold (less than 1/2 gram). I'm sure many of you drink more expensive drinks than that. Gold is extremely malleable so even a very small nugget can be hammered out to a very wide and thin foil, less than 0.3 micrometers thick.

Posted by Dave January 26, 10 10:59 PM

Luk wrote:

>I don't understand the fascination with gold. It's practically lead
>except its yellow and yet people are willing to go the distance to
>get it.

Actually about twice a dense as lead, only Tungsten and Uranium plus
a few more expensive metals like Platinum are denser. Also unlike
Lead, Gold is inert and thus non-toxic. (Though still no flavour or
nutritional value so eating it is still kinda stupid. ^_-) Also it's a
very good conductor of electricity, better than copper but not as
good as silver. As some others mentioned it doesn't corrode so it's
a usefull plating on things you want to last, this is why it's used
on electronic connectors.

>I think the human race are conditioned to treat gold a a valuable
>commodity just like paper money. When you think about it, the money
>in your wallet is just paper yet you won't burn it or throw it away.

Except Gold is better suited as money because it's supply can not be
expanded without work, so it's value is a reflection of the value of
the work that goes into mining it. Paper money can be created by
central banks and given or lent to those who are politically favoured
to the detriment of everyone else who holds or is owed any. Central
bankers don't work anywhere near as hard as the people that mine
metal, any metal.

Posted by Glen A. Pearce January 27, 10 03:24 AM

HI,
NICE PIC I LIKE IT
VERY CUTE

Posted by SULBIHAR ALI January 27, 10 04:15 AM

i NEED ONLY FOOD, HEALTH , LOVE AND SEX. food easyly, health depends to ourseves to care , love is a chance , Only sex needs gold.

Posted by magid January 27, 10 07:46 AM

Het is een hip website. Ik houd van de indrukwekkende foto's op natuur, dieren,etc...
Vooral de foto's op de gold wie zijn schitterend.

=)

Posted by Jrtiti2 January 27, 10 08:34 AM

The Big Picture has always shown great picture. Unfortunately, in a collection of gold pictures, you have missed showing at least a picture of the Museo del Oro (Gold Museum) in Bogotá, which is the largest collection of prehispanic gold pieces in the world. Instead, you only show a sad picture with illegal gold searchers in Colombia.

Posted by SAUCEDO January 27, 10 10:07 AM

frantic images......

Posted by vikas January 28, 10 12:04 PM

Anyone in the market for a gold wedding ring or other bauble should
see these photos. Would you want poor people hacking and sloshing
through the mud to please YOU? The gold figurines are particularly
disgusting.
Jennifer Gans, San Francisco, January 30, 2010. 7:10pm

Posted by Jennifer Cross Gans January 30, 10 10:11 PM

Not all gold mined is the result of "poor people sloshing around in the mud". Regardless, there will always be demand for gold, which will result in people of all economic classes hunting for it. The world we live in "is what it is", no amount of concern or bleeding heart opinion will change that.

I agree, the figurines are tasteless...

Posted by Brad January 31, 10 11:00 AM

As you can see in picture number 9 the buyer just hit the total button.

Posted by Jim January 31, 10 10:45 PM

Actually I LIKE to slosh around panning for gold. It's a great vacation. Warm sun, a pan, some gravel, water, cloudy, then clearing... and after a while LOOK! Grains of Gold among grains of black sand.
All this fun, and you get money too... maybe enough to pay for the day at the camp ground, or motel. Maybe even enough to pay for meals and drinks... and maybe even a bit more.
Yep... I like it. It's fun.
Profitable too... I guess it's all about that "Pursuit of happiness" thing.

Posted by Tim January 31, 10 11:08 PM

wooow .................

Posted by Thabith February 3, 10 12:06 AM

# 3 - amazing craftsmanship and photography
#19 - great shot
How does the song go....? "...all the gold in California (or wherever) ...is in someone else's name!

Posted by Andrew Buwalda February 5, 10 09:22 AM

A mi MIrta Seba y Jesi del comentario 40 les deseo lo mejor en su vida y ojala que la puedan vivir por sus propias desiciones y no por creencias ridículas de entes que NO EXSISTEN. La naturaleza se expreso con un terremoto por temas fisicos y quimicos del PLANETA EN EL CUAL VIVIMOS. Dios nada. Y a toda la gente de Haití la verdad que no les puedo decir nada porque los que estan pasando es de lo peor. Solo deseo la pronta recuperacion del pais y sus subrevivientes. Y pedir a todos los gobiernos del mundo que ayuden a que esto ocurra con todos los recursos que existan. NOSOTROS HACEMOS NUESTRA HISTORIA. Respetense.

Posted by Dios se la come February 5, 10 03:08 PM

Amazing, the journey of GOLD . . .

Posted by H.Sutjianto Dr February 7, 10 11:46 PM

Great pictures , Thanks for the effort.
Eating Gold is a VERY Stupid thing.

Posted by Mohamed Reheem February 8, 10 05:06 PM

why must be gold but not silver...???

Posted by pai February 9, 10 06:56 AM

all i see is exploitation of land and people by gold-hungry co.'s like Barrick.

Posted by Ernesto Folch February 13, 10 10:27 PM

gold, gold, gold....oh how we love gold....you can do so much with it!
you can eat it, it can give you shelter, it can heal you and you can drink it when your thirsty.
wake up and get a grip people.

Posted by joey joe joe joob joob jabidoo February 15, 10 01:08 AM

Great Pics,
Always knew the importance of gold in India, These pics made me realize Gold's importance worldwide.
Amazing.

Posted by Akshay February 15, 10 03:21 AM

thats looking so unBELIVEble,but there has no any gold of my country

Posted by sun February 16, 10 09:05 AM

#11 Precise Location: River "Dagua", Province "Valle del Cauca" , Municipality "Buenaventura", Town "Zaragoza"
Wonderful pictures as always. I recomend your blog everytime.
Regards from Colombia

Posted by Herman February 25, 10 01:33 PM

you have a nice work here i love to work with you but i want you to send me a nice gold i mean local one pictures about three to my email prodigal.love@yahoo.com

Posted by appiah March 11, 10 03:18 PM

It is truely a sad fact that the developed world places such high value on a rare metalalic commodity due to the nature of financial maniputalions. That undeveloped nations' peoples delve in the externality of squalor is shameful but a consequence of their own self-serving governments' is a but a judgement against them. If there were justice in this world those people would have gainful employment and not be working under such conditons. That said, until mankind, in masse, finally realizes that government control of money is the basis of the problem it will not go away.

Posted by Anonymous March 14, 10 12:23 AM

i think all of these pictures are fonomanal

Posted by skylar May 7, 10 04:22 PM

Wish you had shown more miners and less art. Otherwise,

If you aren't self-sufficient, shut up. Even the computer you are typing on has gold in it. You effectively import food, use vehicles and live in houses. Where did the materials come from.

I toil for gold. Grow a garden. Heat with wood. I produce goods.

What do you produce? Hmm, produce nothing, ergo parasite.

Posted by Overtheedge May 9, 10 08:38 PM

kool these r neat to put in my porject!!
thanks!

Posted by 5j5 May 10, 10 12:46 PM

ORO Y MAS ORO

Posted by GUIDO June 6, 10 11:38 AM

To mine enough gold to make one 18K wedding band, they have to crush earth the equivilant of 7 Hummers or 10 regular cars plus the use of cyanide and sulfuric acid that leaches into the ground water and poisons the earth and the miners. Buy only recycled gold!

Posted by Hank Friedman June 9, 10 09:23 PM

REALLY SUPERB PHOTOS..............CAN'T ABLE TO GET THESE TYPE OF PHOTOS

Posted by KALAI August 27, 10 06:24 AM

wow those so much greart picture i most like #10

Posted by aaliya February 16, 11 10:06 AM

good pic

Posted by Anonymous February 16, 11 10:09 AM

yes, this is also a gold mines.

Posted by jogesh gupta April 3, 11 08:33 AM

All that glitters is gold, but something which does not may also be gold, be careful not to miss it baby.......

Posted by john April 14, 11 05:01 AM

Remarkable study, I just handed this onto a colleague who was doing merely a small research on that. And he really bought me lunch simply simply because I discovered it for him smile So permit me rephrase that:

Posted by Ozie Giese April 28, 11 03:40 AM