January 29, 2010 Permalink

Afghanistan, January, 2010

As the surge of 30,000 U.S. troops continues to pour into Afghanistan, the Obama administration is now considering the possibility of reconciling with some of the Taliban, reintegrating the soldiers into society, as a way to find an end to this long conflict. The plan is supported by Afghan president Hamid Karzai, although discussions are still in the very early stages. A recent United Nations report found that violence in Afghanistan claimed the lives of more than 2,400 Afghan civilians in the year 2009. While this is the largest annual death toll for noncombatants since the U.S. led invasion eight years ago, the report found that the majority of deaths had been caused by Taliban attacks. Collected here are images of the country and conflict over the past month, part of an ongoing monthly series on Afghanistan. (42 photos total)

An Afghan man walks on the street as the sun sets over Delaram district in Nimroz province, southern Afghanistan on January 20, 2010. (REUTERS/Marko Djurica)

Lindas imagens...simplesmente fantastico esse país belissímo da Ásia central....

Posted by Tiago Campelo - Teresina - Brasil January 29, 10 12:43 PM

awesome...

Posted by alina n. January 29, 10 12:45 PM

Incredible, as usual.

Posted by A.I.R January 29, 10 12:52 PM

17 is horrible...

Posted by Thom January 29, 10 01:07 PM

Thom,

War is horrible. And if they hadn't shot him, he'd have shot them and his buddies would be celebrating.

DO THE JOB AND COME HOME

Posted by Prospectus January 29, 10 01:43 PM

Thanks for the explaination under #29. I had heard about a sight made with a bible verse. You say that it is a light-enhancing sight, so the quote seems a little more applicable and not just a religious statement. Also, it makes more sense why someone would print a bible verse on a weapon.

Overall, I am always impressed with this blog for opening dimentions I have not previously considered to different issues.

Posted by Nick January 29, 10 01:44 PM

War is hurtingtull. I have a lot to say, and write, I am hurt. Deeper sad. About this war and everything, I mean, everything. seriously. I have pain in my soul.

Posted by Luz E Rivera January 29, 10 01:46 PM

I love this website. They've got the perspective that we don't always see on the news here in the U.S. It's good to see some of this, graphic and all, thanks for sharing!

Posted by Chris January 29, 10 01:49 PM

#29 - I thought that biblical passage said, "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, 'I am a good shot from long range." Disgusting...

Posted by watty January 29, 10 01:55 PM

We're fighting an endless war. Russia went to Afghanistan and no results. So did England. Now it's us.. When will it stop??

Posted by J K January 29, 10 01:59 PM

That girl in # 7 sure has some interesting/lovely eyes. I've noticed many Afghans have eyes with similar characteristics. Very cool!

Posted by Damian January 29, 10 02:43 PM

#22 - "I swear, it was THIS BIG"

Posted by JawsForJesus January 29, 10 02:50 PM

What I want to know is why #11 is considered less graphic than #17...

Posted by Tim McCormack January 29, 10 03:01 PM

I don`t really understand how that helicopter can land on the peak. the blades don`t seem to be moving.
eye opening pictures as usual.

Posted by luca January 29, 10 03:02 PM

#42 gave me chills

Posted by andrew January 29, 10 03:03 PM

La 42 es la mas inconmesurable de todas las fotos jamás vistas!!!

Fabulosa!!!

Posted by Felipe January 29, 10 03:07 PM

War will lead to more wars not to peace, a child can see that!

Posted by backpack January 29, 10 03:25 PM

Realmente son todas una belleza....

Posted by APG January 29, 10 03:28 PM

#29 "U.S. military rules specifically prohibit the proselytizing of any religion in Iraq or Afghanistan and were drawn up in order to prevent criticism that the U.S. was embarked on a religious "Crusade"."

As a US Marine Corps veteran, who still has friends over there, its hard for me to express how dangerous, undermining and utterly stupid putting religious verses on anything the US military uses.

Its not an overreaction!! The inevitable reaction from the Arab world is just one more unnecessary thing our troops have to deal with. It is not to hard to see how this could be used to fan the flames of hatred for our troops.

Posted by That Dude January 29, 10 03:28 PM

"war - what it is good for? absolutely nothing."

Posted by ágnes January 29, 10 03:50 PM

I know someone says this with ever Big Picture posting, but these are the best set of photos yet. This looks like a harsh country, somewhere I would not want to live. I hope these people are able to stabilize their country (with a LOT of help from the U.S., and other coalition forces) and join at least the semi-modern world.

4, 21, 33: beautiful, loyal, life-saving dogs!
7: This girl has eyes that rival the girl from the Nat. Geo. cover. Do all Afgans have eyes like that??
2: Those look like the flashy trucks in Japan .

Posted by kevjohn January 29, 10 03:58 PM

@That Dude - agreed! This is not the crusades, at least it's not supposed to be right?

Posted by Agreer January 29, 10 04:18 PM

ágnes,

war is good for the main actors of global economy.

it is good for arms industry. it is a $300 billion year industry.

war is good for big countries who wants to have an authority on scarce sources of this planet, like oil.

go read a little. see what it is good for. who makes the most profit out of it.

Posted by m January 29, 10 04:43 PM

#20: Woo, CFB Dundurn! :)

Posted by Ed Marshall January 29, 10 04:45 PM

Es increible ver a lo que llega la guerra, entre imagenes de soldados riendo, niños sufriendo, gente que trabaja con problemas de mercaderia otros no tanto y sobre todo la cara de los seres humanos cansado de no poder entender el sufrimiento de otros, que no nos cansamos de ver como nos destruimos, siendo que esta humanidad de los seres humanos es tan corta y la guerra jamas pasara. hermosas fotos hermosas. solo para dejarnos pensar de cuando se acabara todo esto?

Posted by Acnael January 29, 10 04:54 PM

Amazing as always, even pictures of today's date are already in this blog. Thanks you for showing us items which we would otherwise probably never see.

Posted by Leslie January 29, 10 05:36 PM

Preciosas y sobrecogedoras las fotos...la realidad de Afghanistan es dolorosa...cuándo serán libres? saludos desde Chile.

Posted by elby Huerta January 29, 10 06:00 PM

Awesome, as pictures.
Truly bad, as fact of war.

Take care, Afghan people..

Posted by Antipiretico January 29, 10 06:01 PM

Worst photo was of the child learning Quranic verses. The imams of the world just hammer Arabic into kids heads like they're robots instead of actually teaching them the moral code in the Quran itself. It's Saudi Arabia's greatest crime against humanity, hijacking a universal belief by fooling people into thinking their language is in some way 'holy' and that muslims have to visit their country to circle around a cube like idolators.

That kid in the photo isn't learning anything, he's being brainwashed.

Posted by Ci January 29, 10 06:05 PM

Photo 10 affected me the most. Those poor kids have to grow up with watching men with guns, who although are there to protect them, walk around in their streets and everything. I can't imagine what those people have to go through or see during the day. It is so difficult to picture what that would be like if it were in our country, and pretty scary to think about.

Posted by Savanna January 29, 10 06:48 PM

Las imagenes son espectaculares, pero ¿Se puede sacar algo bello de algo que esta envuelto en dolor y sufrimiento? Yo creo que no. De verdad esto es terrible.
Saludos desde Concepcion, Chile.....

Posted by Patrick Zneu January 29, 10 07:15 PM

#17 is a stark reminder of how much war desensitizes the soldier. I do not think that the soldiers celebrating is wrong, however, to celebrate over a dead body of an enemy does seem somewhat gruesome. But, this is what war does to people. Death no longer affects someone who sees it on a daily basis. I hope never to reach the point where I can celebrate over the body of a dead man with no other thought than that I was the one who shot him.

Posted by warthenecessaryevil January 29, 10 08:11 PM

With #37, your caption makes it seem like the boy is tortured daily and forced to read Quran, which I believe is a total misrepresentation, and only gets people to further believe that Muslims are cruel or are forced to accept their religion, and both are not true. Can you at least explain why the boy was crying instead of making such a general misleading comment?

Posted by Manal January 29, 10 08:19 PM

incredible photos as ever. it's wrong to think how war affects all those around the world, emotionally... the midnight train to anywhere...

Posted by smax January 29, 10 08:43 PM

I really hope all this comes to a safe and swift closure for EVERYONE involved. And I truly hope that the Afghanistan people can get back to building their own country, with their own culture. I dread to think that we may try and "rebuild" for them and indoctrinate them into our beliefs and customs.

Posted by Stephen Nesbitt January 29, 10 09:07 PM

@10, @20 etc.
Here's something war is good for:
Liberation of the oppressed. Ever hear of liberation? Liberty? Did you really think freedom was free? Let's see there was the revolutionary war, the war on the Barbary pirates, there was WWII that stopped the Nazi’s and friends, and that’s just a few American wars, read a history book the list goes on and on. Really, you have to live inside of a box to not see that war is sometimes necessary, and just. What I really want to do is punch you in the face, then say "DON'T ESCLATE THE VIOLENCE" and see what you do. If you don't hit me back I'll keep hitting you until you do something just so you get the damn point. Sometimes war chooses you, you can lie down and die, or you stand up and fight. Do you think the Japanese during WWII would have had the same humanity that we have, or would they treat us like they treated their POWs or the Manchurians? Do you think the Nazi’s would have spared the Jew's in America once they landed on our shores unopposed? I think the Nazi’s would be perfectly happy with you not fighting and walking dutifully into the showers. Do you think the British would have just left were George Washington to exercise his freedom of speech? NO! Washington used language of war, because that is the only language that tyrants understand. Apparently the only language you understand is Peace. That’s unfortunate for you, because war does not need you to believe in it, it will kill either way.

Posted by TonyG. LB-CA January 29, 10 09:10 PM

Tristes fotos. Quando será que a humanidade irá aprender a viver e respeitar a liberdade individual?!

Posted by Veríssimo January 29, 10 10:07 PM

CUANDO EL PODER DEL AMOR TRIUNFE SOBRE EL AMOR POR EL PODER, ENTONCES HABRÁ PAZ.
A TODAS LAS FUERZAS QUE INVADEN AFGANISTÁN : NO MÁS GUERRAS Y MENOS AÚN HAGAN DAÑO A LOS NIÑOS, SON ÁNGELES DE DIOS.-

Posted by ZORRO CULPEO January 29, 10 10:16 PM

What a damned mess. It's very easy to suggest alternatives to, say, invading Iraq (my favorite: don't invade Iraq)... however there was an active and hostile "government" in Afghanistan that did indeed engage in hostile activity to the US, and taking it down was a legitimate goal bereft of ulterior motives.

To my mind, this makes it all the more frustrating... even given the benefit of eight years (!!!!!!) of hindsight, it's not obvious what alternative course of action would have been better for Afghanistan and/or for the West. The world sucks sometimes, I guess.

Posted by Erik January 29, 10 11:22 PM

#20 is great—no weapon but a smile!

@Damian (comment 11): I know what you mean! I think the light eyes are a Pashtun trait...not sure. The most famous example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_girl

To look closely into the eyes of these people and the Haitians in the other Big Picture posts really hits me with the weight of our shared humanity.

@luca (comment 14): It's a high-speed photograph; the helicopter hasn't landed, it's only hovering with barely any weight on that one wheel.

@Ci (comment 28): Your comment is lopsided without equal words against the Bible verse cited on the scope in #29. Who but a "brainwashed" soldier could believe that his God wants him to focus on targets instead of on the mission goal—peace?

Posted by Paul Kishimoto January 30, 10 01:27 AM

@36

To you they may be tyrants or terrorists, and to the the other side they are patriots and heroes.

I do agree with you that is sometimes a necessity, but please don't try to idealize it, or phrase war in moral terms.

Every now and then, it is in a country's political/economic/security interests to consider war. When decision-makers feel that the benefits of conflict outweigh the costs, then a war will start. Imagining that wars are fought for "liberty" and "freeing the oppressed" is as deluded as imagining wars have no place in this world.

Posted by Tug January 30, 10 01:59 AM

My husband is a US Marine, I look forward to these pictures every month, it gives me a little insite to what it's like over. Even if it is a little scary. Thank you!

Posted by Kristen January 30, 10 02:32 AM

The love the way you capture vivid colors in several snaps, especially the second picture. Also, you have showed emphasizes on the number 786, it is considered the luckiest number among Muslims.

Posted by Ankit January 30, 10 03:37 AM

like, like, Thanks BosotonGlobe

Posted by michael January 30, 10 05:34 AM

Great photos. As always...

Posted by BThink January 30, 10 06:33 AM

E não me pegaram ainda.

Posted by Binladen January 30, 10 07:18 AM

f*ck the war

Posted by Amity January 30, 10 08:30 AM

to reader 14, all the helicopter blades are rotating, the pilot has just landed and was keeping the power on to maintain the helicopter in balance, but the camera, shutter speed at or above 250th, has frozen the blades movement. A classic.

interesting selection of pictures as usual.

Posted by ben January 30, 10 09:30 AM

nice answers i like it

Posted by WrigmaSeamise January 30, 10 11:11 AM

#40 - The 2-82, that's my son's battalion!!!
#4 and #21 - Thanks for posting pics of those hard working bomb detecting dogs! I read that Columbian government uses bomb-sniffing rats which are so light they don't set off any land mines.
#20 - There is something special about the expressions on the faces of these women - something genuine, as if their conversation transcends cultures.

Posted by Jen January 30, 10 11:33 AM

This is what nation building and sustainment is all about.
The OEF campaign, in Afghanistan is most vital to the well being and health, confidence, security, working infrastructure and prosperity for Afghan people. Their confidence in that, the USA military and the ISAF coalition fores are there to bring a better life and prosperity to their people and their homeland. A new horizon. A better Afghan force trained and and equiped with. There has been many sacrifices shed for this goal. Never to be forgotten nor doubted, that our country will stand by its warriors to stand a country from the ashes. The pictures are just outstanding and just icredible picture choices, More PRT pictures needed. I agree the helicopter shot. what a lense on our brave men and women.
God Bless America.
CPT Felix Gregorian

Posted by CPT Felix Gregorian January 30, 10 12:19 PM

#28 Is one of my very good friends and all I have to say is that my boys are doing a great job over there and I wish I could be there with you!! Come home safe and see you next month!!

Posted by Miller January 30, 10 12:24 PM

Post #40 is very intelligent and succinct. As much as I hate war and think the fight to abolish it altogether needs to continue, even if in vain, the points raised by Tug here are entirely logical.

Then again, he's arguing with someone who resorts to bumper-sticker talking-points like 'Freedom ain't free!' so perhaps he's wasting his time.

Posted by Shawn January 30, 10 01:03 PM

# 1, no words

Posted by gustavo from brazil January 30, 10 01:15 PM

@36 (TonyG. LB-CA January 29, 10 09:10 PM)
Peace does need you to believe in it but will live always regardless…

Believing that War is Just simply because it has shaped history in your favour is a fallacy. The idea that Peace will have a homogeneous face across diverse societies and cultures is a further fallacy that many believe; Peace is a perpetual process of understanding and cooperation, not a particular state that can be reached through physical brutality and then defended with barbed-wire and unmanned drones.

When “your Country” punches “my Country” in the face the one-on-one analogy you have proposed breaks down and becomes strangers killing strangers because someone suggested they should. War and Peace are non-physical concepts which we act out in a physical world and though it is practical to fight to the death it is absolutely possible to defend oneself peaceably without ever raising a fist.

Peace does not entail keeling over and dying in the face of adversity, it entails finding non-violent means to overcome and prevent adversity. What a horrible world we would live in if generation after generation did not seek out new ways to resolve the mistakes of the past – thousands of years ago it took human sacrifices to yield a good harvest, nowadays it only takes a few bags of manure…

Posted by Brian C January 30, 10 02:18 PM

I can see that my sons have made a difference! I am so proud of the militaries! I would like to say thank you to them and their families. I know this isn't easy being away from family. They are all heroes to me!

Posted by Troubledred January 30, 10 02:38 PM

Encore une fois c'est absolument saisisant !!!
Actualité en image totalement incroyable !!

Posted by Mathieu January 30, 10 07:29 PM

Las fotos son muy buenas pero, la guerra es horrible para todos. Dios permita que esta termine lo mas pronto posible. No queremos mas de nuetros jovenes muertos o heridos.

Posted by Providencia Almodovar January 30, 10 07:38 PM

I am a civilian working at Kandahar Airfield - this website is great and informative. God bless all our soldiers from all nations.

Posted by Anonymous January 30, 10 07:58 PM

was there seen it all was proud to be a canadian helping wish i could go back but now it is my husband time to go
was there january 2nd to july 2nd 2009

Posted by carmen January 30, 10 09:00 PM

Hermosas fotografías pero el contenido es muy triste y lamentable, principalmente por esos niños inocentes que aparecen y que son parte de una cruel realidad, la guerra, uno de los peores males de esta humanidad..

Posted by jacqueline January 31, 10 12:30 AM

I want to be war photorapher .AWESOME and KOOL

Posted by Duchinh Bui January 31, 10 02:07 AM

It seems there is a cultural niche in Afghanistan that glorifies violence. This single element cannot simply be altered or extracted from its cultural setting. But efforts should definitely be made to adjust those destructive elements through advanced communication/education programs. Otherwise the violence will persist.

Posted by Steve P January 31, 10 02:20 AM

Bunch of war criminals.

Posted by James January 31, 10 03:01 AM

#7... those eyes. God bless that little girl.

Posted by Zigma January 31, 10 03:50 AM

The first photo is awesome!

Posted by Michael Arteta January 31, 10 06:15 AM

awesome pictures...two thumbs.

Posted by Stephanie January 31, 10 08:05 AM

courage has many faces...........

Posted by Trevor January 31, 10 08:26 AM

I can only see invaders, who occupied this land in 2001. Years have gone past and they're still playing "indoor" games. But not for too long America.

Posted by Amir Sheikh January 31, 10 10:21 AM

we are going back to the early world million years ago
we lost humanity,poor respect,greedy
i think the lion better than us because they hunt only for their meal
war is not happen only in afghanistan nor iraq
but it happen in our neighborhood including mine
its everywhere even in place that we say it is safe
why? because we are human
a brilliant creature a clever creature or whatever
we have brain we have mind but using it wrongfully
poor human
if alien want to come to earth sweeping it i will support them(if they exist)

Posted by hate human January 31, 10 11:50 AM

Pacifism: A philosophy of non-violence, historically only practiced by those who can rely on the killing and dying of others in defense of their privilege to practice that philosophy.

Posted by Cam Bristoe January 31, 10 12:16 PM

This site was sent to me by a friend who has grandchildren in Afghanistan. He is retired military and is so proud of his family. These pictures are wonderful to see as we , the public, very rarely have a chance to "be there" with our eyes. Our hearts go out to those serving and those induring this terrible war. May we finish this awful business and bring our troops home safely. God Bless those who gave their all.
A Grandma in Joseph, Oregon

Posted by Vicki Fleshman January 31, 10 02:00 PM

Lindas imagens que contrasta com tanto sofrimento e dor

Posted by Ademar January 31, 10 03:02 PM

#28 is a sick picture, amazing set of pics as usual tho

Posted by Pat G January 31, 10 03:10 PM

Wao muy buenas fotos,muy interesante, y dan penas los soldados y la gente de Afganistan,

Ojala termine todo esto lo mas rapido posible!!

Posted by De La Costa January 31, 10 04:25 PM

I don't understeand, is't war or deadly rock-n-roll?

Posted by michael January 31, 10 04:51 PM

how would you feel if another countries army was in your cities, pointing guns at you, controlling your movement, killing your people?get out of their country, stop the murders and imperialistic wars, look at the history of the world, wars were always fought for the benefit of the elite.

Posted by sophia January 31, 10 05:16 PM

#28 real life version of MW2 ghost.

Posted by Akeem January 31, 10 07:13 PM

I don't understand how you can think 17 or whatever was so bad. It was a dead guy. I don't mean to sound harsh but I feel that you might not have a proper scope of what is really happening to our soldiers if you find something that "mild" as repulsive as you do.

41 was far more difficult.

Posted by Peter January 31, 10 08:49 PM

As horrible as some of these pictures are....It makes me so proud of our men and women over there trying to help those poor people that have to live with those horrible enemies...
Some how, some way I feel God will have the final say!!!!!!!!!!!
"God Bless America"

Posted by Claire January 31, 10 09:39 PM

Look at the children. Maybe you don't like the war, but who else is there for them. The Taliban will just take over again

Posted by Dan January 31, 10 10:12 PM

Esse tiago campelo eh muito eh viado...

Posted by Tiagay Campelo February 1, 10 01:24 AM

To Sophia, I would hope that your comment was meant for those on both sides of the conflict. BinLaddin an his officers are most certainly from "the Elite".It is easy to point and judge.So judge ye not lest ye be judged. . . . . . . . .

Posted by Joel February 1, 10 02:40 AM

@ Peter (79)

I think both images are equally saddening. In both cases, there is a young man--boy really--fighting and dying for what he believed in. However, 17 had the misfortune of having his body on display and desecrated, while 41 had an honorable burial in his homeland in the company of his countrymen and family.

I am not shocked by death. However, I am shocked by the barbarism displayed in photo 17. Most of all, we shouldn't just brush it off as "just a dead guy." Although we may not agree with 17's beliefs and goals, he still deserves basic human dignity. Affording our enemies exactly that (even in death) isn't weakness, but rather is a testament to our greatest strengths.

Posted by Tug February 1, 10 03:30 AM

No words for war. Amazing photos.

Posted by maría varela February 1, 10 08:01 AM

awesome!!!

Posted by morani February 1, 10 10:04 AM

WHY WAR?

Posted by Camila February 1, 10 12:45 PM

ajalas, se la rifan bien machin con esas fotos ese,
que chilo esta todo eso, sobre todo el detalle que le ponen eda, bien machin me cae de gaver si no.

Posted by el pipiris February 1, 10 07:00 PM

I Dont Know why but I absolutely love 21 its just cool plain and simple

Also I like 29 too, I just like it, I think its cool that the scope company would do that, to bad they're not allowed anymore

Posted by Jonathan February 2, 10 02:13 AM

i hate and fear war bcause it killed my father ,my two grandfathers ,my two brothers , my uncles and a big number of my relatives. tthe worst of all it left me refugees in south africa without any government support.

Posted by Elvira February 2, 10 04:04 AM

war does not decide who is right, it only decides who is left

Posted by breglis February 2, 10 06:43 AM

What necessary words... super, a magnificent phrase

Posted by Êàòàëîã ñòàòåé February 2, 10 07:22 AM

It agree, this magnificent idea is necessary just by the way

Posted by Êàòàëîã ñòàòåé February 2, 10 07:35 AM

Posted by 4 February 2, 10 08:32 AM

It is very a pity to me, I can help nothing to you. But it is assured, that you will find the correct decision. Do not despair.

Posted by Êàòàëîã ñòàòåé February 2, 10 10:30 AM

just try not to bring the war back home

Posted by Fred Lopez February 2, 10 01:07 PM

muy buenas las fotos...exelentes.....................no tengo palabras

Posted by noel polanco February 2, 10 09:03 PM

Afghans have the history of never been enslaved. Big powers like imperial British, Mighty USSR and now Uncle sam have tasted defeat. leave them alone. Dont impose your civiliazation and values upon them.

Posted by sujit singh February 3, 10 01:51 AM

Impressive serie of photographs.

Posted by Rutger Blom February 3, 10 03:52 AM

#41 could be someone's son, husband, father or brother. Oh mankind when will you stop all this!!

Gandhi we want you to be reborn again!!

Posted by Amit from Mumbai February 3, 10 06:38 AM

Do not despond! More cheerfully!

Posted by Êàòàëîã ñòàòåé February 3, 10 02:03 PM

really all pictures are great work of BIG PICTURE team. really Nice WORK. #16, 17 really awsome.

Posted by salman khan [hunny] February 3, 10 02:41 PM

AMAZING! Great pictures.

Posted by Alex February 3, 10 04:25 PM

no one in their right mind likes war.But I might suggest that the Taliban and
AlQuida stop enforcing their religion, hate and poisen on their own
countrymen and not grow opium to export to the rest of the world and causeth death of many people! And also by the way if Bin Ladenand his
killers had not sent killers to takr over planes and fly them to america and
slaughter 3,000 inocent americans on 9-11, we wouldn't be over there
in any of those countries trying to root that pig out of his rat holes in
Pakistan or Afganistan . I'm sure all of us would rather our boys be home.

Posted by c van cleave February 4, 10 01:55 AM

I hope everyone is okay while they fight the wars in Afgahanistan.

Posted by Courtney February 4, 10 11:09 AM

people like # 98 need to do their research before saying that because those two countries that you are talking about wanted to take over Afghainistain and strip them of their natural resources and we are there to get rid of the taliban and protect afghainistain whitch in return will protect our interest.. We are not there to rip them off or destroy them.. we are there to free them! What we need to do as citizens is pay more attn.. to politics in this country because if we keep going the way we are then we all will be slaves to the corp america. Everyone needs to pay more attention.. even me I cant even spell right and thats because corporate America has such an influence on us that they make sure we stay uneducated so they can become even more powerfull.. the citizens should have the power not Wall Mart! If we keep allowing the corp America to grow in power then we will start going to war for them and not the citizens or the world.. Please pay attention to our current problems in this country because I love my country and I want it to be here for everyone in the world to enjoy because we are unique in the way we work compared to the rest of the world.. Its all easier said then done.. but it all needs DONE!

Posted by Matthew February 4, 10 08:01 PM

At the beginning we went there, thinking:
- let`s blow something up
- let`s find Osama
- let`s test our new cluster bombs
- let`s bring freedom and democracy

This seems to have changed a lot now. I wish we`d thought about that earlier.
Pictures and stories like that should make it to the everyday news. Not just the latest death toll.
Great pictures, great comments (at leats most of them)!

Posted by Viktor February 5, 10 04:01 AM

@Tony-- so do you use the same arguments to justify the deaths of Native Americans by the hands of foreign invaders? Are you a Christian? Would you have Jesus fight back his tormentors?

Posted by YRG February 5, 10 04:10 PM

@YRG. My comments do not aim to make justification for any particular war. I only want to point out that in any war there is an aggressor that could care less if you want peace or don't believe in war. As for your example of Native Americans: should they have not waged war against the foreign invaders? Are the deaths of the foreign invaders not justified in the state of war? There is always a righteous side, and I leave what side is righteous open to debate.

As for your example of Jesus, he is indeed a pacifist, and everyone should try and live by his example. However not everyone will. And when the time comes that you need to defend your family and property, the aggressor usually does not care how much of a pacifist you are. It is only on the backs of righteous people, who believe war and tyrants exist and must be defended against, that the pacifists even have a forum for comment.

I do not desire war. People who desire war are sick. War is a disease on humanity. And that is why if a war MUST be prosecuted it must be done with expedience and overwhelming force to limit the amount of time and number of casualties that people are subjected to. None of this politicking and dithering that causes the war to become drawn out, exacerbating the problem.

Have no doubt that war exists; according to John Locke the state of nature is the state of war. Read Locke's “second treatise on government”, it is very short. He's much more convincing than my bumper sticker slogans.
You can find it at Project Gutenberg for free here: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7370

Posted by TonyG. LB-CA February 5, 10 10:19 PM

"War will lead to more wars not peace"

Load of horsecrap, Peace will lead to war as well as humans cannot live in a world without war. We've been at war since the beginning of the human race, now shut the hell up and live with it.

Posted by Anonymous February 7, 10 02:33 AM

I was born in Afghanistan and lived there until age 6.

To all the hippies and anti-war activists.. stfu

Good job to the U.S for staying in Afghanistan and making sure the pakistani trained taliban don't take over the country again.

Posted by ahmad February 8, 10 03:45 PM

War brings us together. Love tears us apart.

Posted by Nia February 9, 10 12:45 AM

#19, a vague reference to a religious version hidden in serial number will make the native population hate us? Funny that the Taliban fought us prior to issuing of Trijicon optics and further more, hand any native Afghan a US Dollar that says "In God We Trust" and I guarantee they will take no offense!

Posted by Proud of God & the USA February 9, 10 12:03 PM

Unfortunately there will allways be a need for weapons and soldiers ( i tip my hat to the men and women that are on the front lines, stopping the war from spilling over to the rest of the world)

To gain peace one must prepare for war

Posted by Daniel February 10, 10 05:11 AM

amazing pictures..
but the War is senseless, so many people dying, cause US wish to win

Posted by Polka February 11, 10 06:13 AM

These pictures captures two distinct but somehow related realities in Afghanistan.One shows the what outsiders mostly see i.e the war an bloodshed , soldiers over everywhere, and the Second one is about the daily life of natives living there,the daily chores & duties they perform amongst the ongoing mayhem.

Posted by Neha Garg February 12, 10 12:32 AM

All those commenters who see glory and courage in these pictures, grow the hell up! Your sons/friends/relatives in these pictures are at best well meaning tools, useful pawns, schmucks whatever and you cheerleading them on is frankly sick. This is an old fashioned invasion fueled by old fashioned war profiteering, trumped up as some fairy tale to get some guy Bin Laden - who according to Benazzir Bhutto shortly before her death is long dead. Bring those boys home, bring the money spent on this folly home and lets start trying to fix our own countries. War supporters need to remember we are not just brutalizing current and future Afghanis, we are also brutalizing ourselves and our culture. Google Bagram + torture. Like all American taxpayers I am shareholder in torture but at least I don't crow about it. Disgusting AND criminal.

Posted by EndTortureAndOccupation February 13, 10 12:59 PM

brilliant snaps of a horrendous pursuit/
make photos. not war.

Posted by anand February 14, 10 05:43 AM

# 28: Ghost (Modern Warfare 2)

Posted by Sebastian February 14, 10 08:52 PM

great pictures good luck .. god bless u

Posted by rita February 16, 10 04:56 PM

God Bless all of u..(my afgani)

Posted by love 2005 February 17, 10 07:35 AM

# 3 Good looking boy

Posted by Abdul Gafur February 19, 10 06:28 AM

"m" and "agnes"

besides being good for economy, the war is good for freedom and democracy.

Without our troops there, the country of Afghanistan would fall back into a Medieval darkness of Taliban islamic reign. There would be no rule except the rule of kalashnikov. Women would live in their burkas, and girls would be executed in the football stadiums daily. Taliban would once again ban the singing of birds, and the hopes of the children of Afghanistan would be but a faint whisper.

Posted by Thomas February 24, 10 06:04 AM

shOw uS eVen jusT a LittLe piece oF peaCe iN aFghaNisTan!!!!
pLeaseEE...
sTop d'baD waRRRrrrrrr

Posted by sheeTa February 24, 10 09:20 AM

Thank you for most informativ pictures. The struggle for freedom and liberty is indeed comprehensive, eligible, necessary and justifiable.

Posted by Kurt Ohman February 24, 10 10:04 AM

@80 claire

without you amarican live will be sooo good in all the world as you who start the war

if you only mind your own problems it will be so good

and always remember what had you done in erak and prison (abo kareeb )

i hope you leave us alone with our problems and we can solve it in peace

Posted by moslim February 26, 10 05:51 AM

Hi Everyone

i've just joined here and wanted to say hi to all of you!I really hope to give something back to this board...

Cheers

Posted by OppolaGal February 26, 10 08:08 AM

Hello,

I hope for the sake of humanity, freedom and justice, we are not terrorizing others in the fight on terror. Afghans spilled their blood in the fight against the Communist, and we turned our backs on them. Now we are working with the Communist to shatter the Afghans. I sometimes Wonder... Who are the bad guys and who are the good guys, what really scares me as an statistician. The numbers are against us. Made in America has killed more in past decade than made in the rest of the world. Lets just think a bit about this fact and see why things are the way the are.

Posted by American Muslim March 7, 10 11:27 AM

this pictures are very goooooooooooood ok

Posted by homira March 15, 10 05:34 PM

#113, I doubt most of the soldiers knew about the inscription on the scope let alone civilians. The concern was most likely made by someone in the corporation. What makes you think that Muslims were the ones having concerns over the reference? We believe in Jesus(pbuh), we believe he was the way to the truth the light, so that verse in no way goes against what Muslims believe. The reason stated in the caption of the photo was "..whether the inscriptions break a government rule that bars proselytizing by American troops.." By the way just for future references Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in the same God. The only major difference is how we view Jesus(pbuh).

Posted by ILYAS March 23, 10 08:44 PM

whats up everyone

just signed up and wanted to say hello while I read through the posts

hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

Posted by Smottosymbova April 27, 10 09:05 PM

#37 Seems to suggest that the child is beaten and forced to learn. It gives the impression that Muslims are forcing their young to accept the religion which is not true at all. Please write it so that it seems neutral and not biased in some way. The poor kid is a refugee in Rawalpindi, Pakistan i would have cried too if i were him.

sorry if my english had mistakes in it.

Posted by Muhammad Ali Akbar May 16, 10 02:43 PM

Posted by coffee gifts August 12, 10 05:43 PM

i have been following this blog for some time now, good job by the way

Posted by blog pc August 13, 10 01:50 PM

America needs to get the hell outta Afghanistan and Iraq.
they need to stabilize their economy first and put things in order at home front and stop worrying about the world coz remaining countries in the world aint theirs !!!

They screwed Afghanistan the moment they raised Taliban to ward off the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. Now Taliban is busy screwing them with their own weapons and money !!!

They screwed Iraq the moment they declared they have proof of WMDs (sic), their only motive on invading that country was OIL,,,,, nothing else.

A person who's been oppressed, a person who has seen violence all their life, a person who's craved for peace every single moment he lived, a person who has seen unnecessary wars shall surely fight against the oppressors.

America is digging it's own grave, high time they understand it and stop meddling in other country's affairs.

Wars lead to nothing besides destruction, killing of innocents and hatred.

Posted by abcd August 29, 10 06:18 AM

Je m'appelle Lucy, suis neauveau. Content de trouver cette forum. Merci tout le monde

Posted by adodiaImmaw October 3, 10 04:23 PM

I love it! The Best Place to Chill and Talk About Anything on Your Mind. Everything and Anything abou car insurance, movies, music, tv, food. I love great tips and easy to find information.

Posted by Scoozyappeala October 4, 10 12:40 AM

Great Pictures, appreciation for photographer

Posted by shaibi October 4, 10 05:58 AM

afghan military force we proud on them but, what they did to person in the first picture is not good, Becase he also afghan try to attract the people heart to your self.
and its your responsibality to save the people of afghanistan
tal de v afghanistan
aw mili urdo da afghanistan

SAMIDULLAH HEMAT PAKTYAWAL

Posted by samidullah hemat paktyawal October 4, 10 05:17 PM

Very nice pictures !...
very...
[farzan saberi, US languist, Afghanistan-shindand]

Posted by farzan saberi December 10, 10 02:04 PM

allah(lord) is watching everyone in this war who is doing good and who is doing bad good ones wait for allah s descition

Posted by Anonymous January 1, 11 09:23 PM

HI TO EVERYONE,WY WE NOT JUST THINK WISELY FOR A MOMENT , THISE EVILS ARE JUST TRYIN TO STEAL OUR MINES AND DRUGS IN AFGHANISTAN AND TRANSFER AND SELL IT TO OTHER COUNTRIEAS, STEAL OIL AND PETROL IN IRAQ , SEE JUST NOW THEIR NEXT 10 OR 20 YEARS PLAN IS YEMAN AND EGIPT , THEY ARE JUST EVILS AND INVADERS , (AMERICAN AND ENGLISH )OK HERE , SIMPLE QUESTION ,HOW THE FUK THEY CAN NOT FINISH TALIIBAN DURING MORE THAN TEN YEARS WITH ALL THESE FACILITIES THAT THEY HAVE AND STILL THEY PRETENAREPOWERFULL CO

Posted by MOHAJER PANJSHIRI January 12, 11 10:36 AM

Hi all,
Uncommonly good to see u in this theme
My real mention is Truong ^^

Sharing is indelicate, right?

Posted by xa0115i9ou January 15, 11 06:26 AM

Because of you trail look benefit of after of this blog. That's all I can say. You most seemingly beget made this blog into something thats well-disposed affection aperture and important. You patently receipts consciousness of so much involving the unfailing astray of, youve covered so innumerable bases. Senseless guzzle from this corner of the internet. Again, node the sing on at you with a upon this blog."

Posted by carpinteyrojqe April 20, 11 03:59 PM