September 4, 2009 Permalink

Two Mongolias

Mongolia (the independent nation), and Inner Mongolia (a neighboring autonomous region of the People's Republic of China) share a common history and geography, and have both evolved in recent years, centering much of their growth on their famous culture. Mongolia is a young democracy - its 1990 revolution less than 20 years old now - formerly a Soviet-backed communist republic, and much earlier ruled by many different dynasties back to Genghis Khan in 1206. Inner Mongolia continues to undergo a cultural shift as ethnic Han Chinese now make up nearly 80% of the population, and efforts at retaining Mongolian culture are being undertaken. Collected here are a number of recent photographs of these two Mongolias. (33 photos total)

A Mongol herdsman named Gegenhasi stands in front of his new house to welcome guests in the Huhenuoer Grassland on August 27, 2009 in Hulun Buir, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China. Hulun Buir, with an area of 250,000 sq km located in northeastern Inner Mongolia, is inhabited by 36 ethnic groups, including Mongolians, Daurs, Ewenkis, Oroqens, and Russian ethnicities. The vast Hulun Buir Grassland is one of the four largest natural steppes in the world. (Feng Li/Getty Images)

Very nice set of photos Alan, thanks for sharing.

I love #33

Posted by Felipe September 4, 09 01:35 PM

Beautiful set, thank you!

Posted by Jg September 4, 09 01:40 PM

How remote, beautiful and interesting....

Posted by Kevin September 4, 09 01:41 PM

beautiful.

Posted by ItsAMe September 4, 09 01:45 PM

not bad...not bad :-)

Posted by juanitoxn2 September 4, 09 01:46 PM

#20 should also be credited to Yaan, not "me". It says the user a bit further down under File History.

Posted by Banjo September 4, 09 01:59 PM

I like all those pics, well done!
But the safa has been occupied... :(

Posted by Anonymous September 4, 09 02:00 PM

they are nice

Posted by nicola September 4, 09 02:01 PM

You are the best pictures, congratulations, that wonderful country ..

Posted by Uriel Baesso do Prado September 4, 09 02:01 PM

What a gorgeous country. I'd love to visit!

Posted by Ed September 4, 09 02:12 PM

I love the blues and reds they use in their buildings. Makes the city a lot more colorful.

Posted by Mattan Ingram September 4, 09 02:29 PM

Indigenous people in their regions, states, and countries should be considered, protected and preserved as National and International Cultural Treasures so they don't get buried by the melting pot of nationalist or global culture!!!

Posted by wildthing September 4, 09 02:45 PM

I see at least 4 epic runs in these images. What a beautiful place.

Posted by sc September 4, 09 02:52 PM

Very interesting overall, however, the Wikimedia photos are generally boring photographs.

Posted by Anonymous September 4, 09 02:56 PM

Precious little poppet in #4! What a doll!

Posted by sgt_majorette September 4, 09 02:58 PM

so beautiful !!!

Posted by ddr September 4, 09 02:58 PM

anyone else do a double-take when they first scrolled to number 21?

Posted by yikes September 4, 09 03:27 PM

Wow, never seen this part of Asia before in pictures! There's a movie called 'Mongol' about the early years of Genghis Khan's life... a must see.

Posted by Apoelistas September 4, 09 03:27 PM

Wow, very nice!

Posted by Catatau.tk September 4, 09 03:33 PM

I visited Mongolia last summer (2008) and the most striking thing is that these landscapes go on seemingly forever, in every direction. It is a truly breathtaking country in many ways, but the pollution, crowding, and poverty in the cities stands in stark contrast to the untouched beauty of the countryside. The people are generally warm and friendly, and many families living outside of the cities haven't changed much about their way of life for hundreds of years; it's quite a thing to see.

Here's a link to a couple dozen of my pictures from my trip: http://picasaweb.google.com/peter.franzen/MongoliaPortfolio?authkey=Gv1sRgCKKgodykqOz7fw&feat=directlink

Posted by pFranzen September 4, 09 03:41 PM

Somehow Mongolia seems empty.
Lack of knowledge about it?
Lack of interest?
Lack of media?
I don't know.

Posted by Salim September 4, 09 03:51 PM

What a stark contrast of traditional and modern lifestyle! The picture #22 of the boy struck me most. Don't these people feel detached?

Posted by Martin September 4, 09 04:04 PM

Posted by franek September 4, 09 04:14 PM

#17 is obviously a church, other buildings don't get domes like those.

Posted by danvolodar September 4, 09 04:19 PM

wonderful landscapes

Posted by diego September 4, 09 04:28 PM

2 points I want to make:

1) There are big groups of Ethnic Mongols live in Russia (Buriat,Tuva and Kalmyk regions) also in other regions of China( Xinjiang). Why don't you guys show them too? Those are same ethnic Mongols. Just showing inner Mongolia gives an impression to these people that Mongol is part of china or something.

2) pictures don't show real people's lifestyles. Just few random boring stuff. I am a Mongol myself, and I don't see much expressing today's Mongolia.

Posted by Tuguldur September 4, 09 04:45 PM

also you wrote in the intro:

"genghis Khan"

it is pretty offensive for any Mongol person. It should be Chinggis Khaan. If you don't know what or how to write you don't really have to. :(

Posted by Tuguldur September 4, 09 04:48 PM

Posted by Tyler September 4, 09 05:03 PM

Love the night shot of the hot air balloon! Amazing color! Never quite seen one like that before...did they give rides? Gobi desert shots were beautiful as well~~my brothers and Dad took a camel ride there and looked like 3 very tall and uncomfortable wise men. lol :)

Posted by Anonymous September 4, 09 05:30 PM

What a vast place...
I loved #22 and @26.

One suggestion to Mr. Alan Taylor (nothing to do with this amazing post): I'm a big fan of this site, and of photography in general, then, I dear to ask this: Could you one day do a post of Abstract photography (pictures with no photoshop, of course)? I'm sure you can do some great mix of famous fotographers showing just an interpretation of a feeling, for example (just to name a crazy thing).

Thanks for everything!!

Posted by Jorge Tuda September 4, 09 05:38 PM

Thank you so much for the great photos.... I work with the Mongolian community everyone and admire their spirit and resilence.

Posted by Kathy Ahoy September 4, 09 05:43 PM

"Mongolia [...] formerly a Soviet republic"
Am I missing something? Probably, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Posted by Seb September 4, 09 05:48 PM

@ Comment 28 (Tuguldur): You state that writing "Genghis Khan" rather than "Chinggis Khaan" is "is pretty offensive for any Mongol person".

Please elobarate - why exactly would that be offensive? Thanks.

Posted by Mosez September 4, 09 06:21 PM

Mongolia has never been Soviet republic.

Posted by Konstantin September 4, 09 06:24 PM

Is the language spoken by the man in #22 related to the language spoken by reindeer herders in northern Scandinavia?

Posted by Doug September 4, 09 06:36 PM

what a colorful country. thanks for this delightful compilation...

Posted by Anja September 4, 09 06:56 PM

#32 What, no drive thru?
More seriously, a great collection and as insightful as always, Thanks!

Posted by dapascha September 4, 09 07:21 PM

"I also like that you are adding links to the original files. It's nice to see a higher resolution image when it is available. I hope you continue to do this with further sets of photos.
Posted by Mattan Ingram September 4, 09 02:29 PM"

They are not linked so you can have the pleasure of "higher resolution" photos. They are amateur and improperly edited.They needed additional processing by a pro to make them look decent.

Probably the worst set I've ever seen on this site.

Posted by allfire September 4, 09 08:36 PM

Lovely pictures. Brings back great memories. I was in Mongolia last summer and intend to go back one day. I loved hiking the mountains (checking camera traps for snow leopard pictures).

Yes, it is an empty country. Few trees, 2.7 million people in an area twice the size of France. More horses than people (3 million horses).

Posted by Robert September 4, 09 08:38 PM

"Nice to see some Creative Commons and Wikimedia material mixed in here along with the usual Getty/AP fare.
Posted by Tyler September 4, 09 05:03 PM"

No, it's not. The "usual Getty/AP fare" is actually good.

Posted by allfire September 4, 09 08:42 PM

Wonderful. Oddly enough this reminds me of my native Alberta, Canada. The distinct influence of a horse culture and Ukrainian type architecture. Yet, so Asian. Absolutely beautiful. It's now on my 'to visit' list, and I think it will make it to my top ten.

Posted by Guy September 4, 09 08:55 PM

I spent a week in Mongolia this summer at Lake Hovsgol and in Ulaan Baatar. After spending so much time in the middle of Seoul, it made me so happy to know that there are still raw, empty, natural places left on the earth. The Mongolians have an incredibly long and interesting history and have been major world players for the most of it.

Photos from my trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamoix/sets/72157621711550509/

Posted by Sasha Friedman September 4, 09 10:31 PM

#16, Jiuquan is in GANSU Province

Posted by a9udn9u September 4, 09 10:42 PM

Wow, allfire, you seem pretty angry. Maybe you work for the AP and are scared about Wikimedia stealing your fire?

These photos were very good, I didn't realize some monasteries survived the Communists!

Posted by Shii September 4, 09 11:13 PM

Awesome photography which made addon effects to those beautiful places...

I would like to ride my bike in this pitch #14 lol!

Posted by Nithin SR September 5, 09 01:22 AM

very nice

Posted by sanyog September 5, 09 05:37 AM

Beautiful landscapes.

Posted by Ingo Vogelmann September 5, 09 05:38 AM

NIce photos, awesome !!!

Posted by Pang Wee Siang September 5, 09 06:54 AM

Yes, #16 make a mistake.

Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center is not in Inner Mongolia!

Posted by alex September 5, 09 07:15 AM

Well, Jiuquan City is in Gansu Prov., but the Satellite Launch Center is in Inner Mongolia. The center named with Jiuquan is because the city is the nearest big city around the center. :)

Posted by Zhang Qi September 5, 09 09:14 AM

Hats off to Feng Li for producing consistently fantastic photos!

Posted by Joshua Y September 5, 09 09:42 AM

The Illustration of the Picture 7 is not right. The China's Communist Party formed in 1927 in the Southern part of China. In 1931, the army of the China's communist was setting their 8000-mile Long March from South China to the North in order to fight against the Japanese Invasion. The Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region founded in the year of 1947. There was no any opportunity for them to ruin the city. It is unfair.
I was born in Manzhouli, Hulun Buir League of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China. My grandparents' home is in Genhe(Picture 22). Picture 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19, 21, 22, 30 describe the landscapes of Hulun Buir - the eastern part of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China. Picture 16, 28 are from the Western part of the Inner Mongolia. The Hot Air Ballon Festival held in Erdos, Inner Mongolia, 100 miles from Baoto.

Posted by Michael September 5, 09 10:25 AM

As usual, great set of pics!!!
There's an other side to Mongolia, which Rich Wainwright showed in these 2 multimedia clips:

Enjoy the dark side!

Posted by Heimana September 5, 09 11:12 AM

Very nice and informative through photography.I hope to see more of this work, actually nice is a little understating this piece of work, OUTSTANDING is a more descriptive word.THANKS&PEACE! DRAGON SOJER!

Posted by jimmy smith September 5, 09 11:28 AM

Gorgeous set.

Posted by The Sanity Inspector September 5, 09 11:50 AM

i loved these pictures. Beautiful county.

Posted by uhu September 5, 09 12:03 PM

wow mgl cool shoo

Posted by Anonymous September 5, 09 12:06 PM

Inner Mongolia is more beautiful!!

Posted by Anonymous September 5, 09 12:56 PM

mongolia horses ?????

Posted by mongolia September 5, 09 02:47 PM

Interesting that many pictures were taken under a CC license from wikimedia. Any particular reason why this was done this time?

Posted by djwerdna September 5, 09 06:31 PM

@28

It's "Genghis Khan" in English, and has been for many centuries. In English, we have established names for many historical people and many places, and these should not be changed nor construed as "offensive."

It is not offensive to English speakers that Spanish speakers refer to London as "Londres," nor that Japanese speakers refer to New York as "ニューヨーク市." Nor are Italians offended that we say "Rome" and not "Roma," nor are Greeks offended that we use the word "Homer" instead of "Omeros."

I *guarantee* that in Mongolian, there are Mongolian words for American cities and Mongolian names for various historic figures.

When you're speaking Mongolian, feel free to use the Mongolian words, but you can't change the English custom by simply declaring it to be "offensive."

Posted by jhn September 5, 09 06:37 PM

Thank you for putting up these photos. Always fascinating to see another country in beautiful high quality photographs.

Posted by AN September 5, 09 08:36 PM

This "Big Picture" project is superb! Please keep it going.

Posted by j0646 September 5, 09 10:40 PM

I hope that the "The Big Picture" is aware that using CC-BY-SA images in this article/photo-essay makes the whole work available under the same license, and the "© 2009 NY Times Co." is no longer valid.

Posted by Ambuj Saxena September 6, 09 12:50 AM

To #'s 33, 35:
Introduction says, "Mongolia ... formerly a Soviet-backed communist republic", and this statement is correct! While Mongolia has never been a Soviet republic, it is used to be treated like one by Moscow before the Soviet Union broke apart. (Unfortunately, it goes on almost uninterrupted to this day...)

Thank you, Alan Taylor and Boston Globe!

Posted by Eugene September 6, 09 03:08 AM

Picture 17 is actually Russian church, not merely house

Posted by Yuriy September 6, 09 07:36 AM

in response to comment # 11 and picture 28: I can see no difference. Two links to google maps brings us to the same lake (just check the bigger view), while Khar and Har is just a difference in spelling and Nuur is lake in Mongolian. You needed not to correct your post there.

Thanks for the picture! I spend four years in Mongolia in 1980-84 as a schoolboy and still have vivid memories that your collection revived.

Posted by Ivan September 6, 09 09:33 AM

So beautiful...

Posted by Tim September 7, 09 01:38 AM

The photographs are so nice.. Snaps #3 & #14 presented a special kind of energy in me..

Posted by Rakesh Sivan September 7, 09 04:38 AM

Nice series!

Posted by Skag September 7, 09 04:49 AM

Thank you for sharing! It's beautiful!

Posted by Jor Jor September 7, 09 06:01 AM

The last picture is breathtaking. Thanks!

Posted by Dezorian September 7, 09 09:25 AM

This is a great site, I'm always really interested to read the discussions in the comments

Posted by Catherine G September 7, 09 09:33 AM

It is beautiful.
I did not see any mosques, are they destroyed by the previous era!?.

Posted by Husam September 7, 09 09:34 AM

Very impressive. Really.
Greetings from Berlin...

Posted by lemonade September 7, 09 09:44 AM

Truly amazing... I really am impressed with these. You have a great knack for capturing a moment.

Posted by tony ducks September 7, 09 11:29 AM

beautiful.. what a fantastic place..

Posted by amu September 7, 09 12:58 PM

@62 Ginghis with low case that is offensive. I think that was the point. We are talking about 2 different country here. 1. Mongolia - independent country, which was not a republic of USSR, although there was a huge Russian influence. 2. Inner Mongolia - which is Autonomous Region of China. Thus when you write an explanation, every point should be accurately explained. There are way more to history, culture, and way of life instead of your few weeks of traveling to the country for search of a quick story. I hope you are a professional journalist not a travel blog writer, thus small mistakes typos are not an excuse

Posted by Saruul September 8, 09 11:08 AM

#5 - The worlds largest building built entirely out of Legos.

Posted by Matt September 8, 09 12:25 PM

Very vibrant set. I love the color of the cities. It is such a stark contrast to the cold steel and brick here in America. I would have liked to see more of the wilderness and the people in it. And then a seperate set on the urban life. It was cool to mix the two, but I bet there is even more that could describe a country in pictures, that so few know anything about.

Posted by Flogging Murphy September 8, 09 04:37 PM

Este es uno de los lugares del mundo al cual desearía llegar.

"hermosisimo"

Posted by shareunlimited.net September 8, 09 06:13 PM

can you imagine the rock climbing and mountain biking opportunity there? not to mention the opportunity to meet and befriend some of the most interesting people in the world. I am in awe of the natural beauty, and similarly in awe at the contemporary architecture and urban planning incorporated within the lush environments. Gadzooks! I hope those Russians figure out how to make it work!

Posted by font9a September 9, 09 12:21 AM

Beautiful pictures... disappointed about the lack of horse pics though, I always hear that horses are a huge part of Mongolian culture!

Posted by Amy September 9, 09 01:54 AM

why I cannot catch that kind of photos?

Posted by Bruce September 9, 09 11:54 AM

I was in India, Afghanistan and other countries. But I like the USA, South America and Europe as much. My country is beautiful, too! Our culture is very important to us! Where are Mozart, Beethoven, Michelangelo and so on?
A horse does not replace our culture. We have horses, too!

Posted by rolf niebergall September 9, 09 12:37 PM

My dreaming place to visit...thanks for sharing

Posted by Wildan September 9, 09 08:29 PM

Ivan #68: I think the google links are meant to go to two different lakes, one located around 48.35N, 96.1E, the other one located around 48.1 N, 93.2E.

Both lakes go by the same name, Khar nuur (or Har nuur) which translates to Black Lake. The lake on picture #26 is the Har nuur located around 48.35N, 96.1E.

Posted by rolf September 10, 09 04:55 PM

Very interesting photos.

Wish ALL photos carefully described whether in inner or outer Mongolia.

I know some that are labeled Mongolia (inner?) are really outer as I saw them when I visited Outer Mongolia several years ago..

Posted by anon September 11, 09 12:45 PM

Some of photos are not from Mongolia...Its China!
Most of people dont know deffirence of "Inner Mongolia" and "Mongolia"
Inner Mongolia is Part of China.They are halp Mongolian,halp chinese..Chinese Goverment took away from long time ago..
Mongolia is country,So diffrent from Inner mongolia..

Posted by ver_shine September 12, 09 10:36 AM

They shouldn't have mixed the photos of Inner Mongolia and Outer Mongolia together! I find photos of Inner Mongolia much more colorful and vibrant, full of energy. Not so much in Mongolia the country. Most people can tell the difference when you mix them together!

A lot of Mongolians are very envious of the living standard and economic growth Inner Mongolians are enjoying.

Posted by Eric September 13, 09 10:20 AM

@91 What makes you think that Mongolians envious of the living standard of Inner Mongolia? There is a living standard in China? please explain? Land of Inner Mongolia is been destroyed by Chines. Actually Inner Mongolians are the one harass Mongolians in Beijing looking for any chance to make money from Mongolians. Mongolia is free and has a freedom, which can't put a price tag, but of cause you would not understand freedom.

Posted by True Mongolian September 13, 09 07:11 PM

Ah yes, the Mongolians who write Russian letters and have Russian Orthodox churches all over the country is the authentic and true Mongolian, while the Mongolians in China, who speak and write original Mongolian in Mongolian letters, worship Buddha everyday, and the population is 3 times as big, are the people of a culture ruined by the Chinese.
Facts:
Inner Mongolia GDP per capita 2008: 4930 USD (ranked right after the coastal Chinese provinces, due to favorable central policies and stable environment)
Mongolia GDP per capita 2008 : 1983 USD (mostly from selling resources)

Posted by Mauser September 15, 09 02:50 PM

Excuse, you, probably, so well know Mongolia, what about it write so confidently? I now live in Ulan Bator. Here only one Russian church. In Russian speaks less people, than in English, especially youth. And in a province in general nobody knows languages. Russian influence is felt, certainly, - in fact Russian have constructed that Mongolia, which now became the democratic country. But, except for Russian letters in language, here a little that remains from Russian.

Posted by George September 16, 09 03:53 AM

Beautiful pictures. I would love to visit there, but alas, I will have to settle for photos. Too bad.

Posted by Betty September 16, 09 06:26 AM

What's with all the political comments? Let's set the fact straight: Currently Inner Mongolia is part of China and outer Mongolia is an independent nation. Both Mongolians living in Mongolia and Innter Mongolia are true Mongolians. Although it's true that Inner Mongolia has received significant influences from China, but at the same time outer Mongolia received a lot influence from Russia (as someone points out their new writing system is based from Russian alphabets). There are 2+ million Mongolians living in outer Mongolia and 6+ million Mongolians living in Inner Mongolia, and many other Mongolians living in Russia and other parts of China. Before outer Mongolia became an independent country both Inner and Outer Mongolia are part of Chin Dynasty which was ruled by Manchus.

Posted by Keren September 16, 09 03:37 PM

For all intents and purposes, Inner Mongolians are Chinese. Inner Mongolia is Mongolian only by name.

Posted by Huujaa September 16, 09 04:25 PM

Oh it's very nice to see some pictures of my country, i'm mongolian. Thank you photographer! Seriously, Mongolia is a must see place before you die!

And i agree with those who said you shouldn't had mixed 2 mongolias up, they'are getting far different from day to day. We still regret inner mongolia was overwhelmed by China. But they let them speak and write mongolian.

To tell you guys, here is no influence of any country in Mongolia. We have a lot freedom.

Posted by Ganzo September 17, 09 06:04 AM

beautiful country. would like to be able to visit.

Posted by HOLLIS FOWLER September 17, 09 11:50 AM

#16, Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center is in Gansu province, China, not Inner Mongolia

Posted by WJY September 19, 09 06:46 AM

nice one

Posted by paranthaman September 21, 09 02:31 PM

Mongolia is such a magnificent place, and so full of deeply interesting cultures. It seems a shame that more of us in the west haven't seen or heard more from the Mongolian region. Their history, music and art are amazing.

Posted by RJ September 23, 09 02:04 AM

@93 Sure GDP in Inner Mongolia maybe higher then Mongolia, but who exactly gets the majority of the wealth? I know for fact that Chinese nationalists are the one who owns majority of the businesses and hold all senior political positions in Inner Mongolia. At least 100% of Mongolian GDP is owned by Mongolia, it maybe low. Plus lets not forget that there were an incidence China submitted price index from 20 years ago to WTO to show how their market is second largest. That is for fact and it was published in McLean’s Magazine. Can you really trust the numbers and information that is provided by Chinese? Can you even ever trust Chinese?
@96 So the Chines were ruled by Manchu, but where are Munchus today? Unfortunately, none to existence today.

To all Inner Mongolians – I am truly glad that you are able to retain old script and still somewhat able to speak Mongolian. But please do not express your Chinese brain washed views at end of the day you are still part of China.

Posted by Saruul September 25, 09 12:47 PM

Gengis Khan Rulez!
Better than Berlusconi

Posted by Pippo Caccola Di Tullio September 27, 09 03:04 PM

Isnt "the melting pot of nationalist or global culture" somehow a contradiction in itself?

Posted by website September 29, 09 10:59 AM

Outer Mongolia = heavy Russian influence on culture
Inner Mongola = heavy Chinese influence on culture
Is there a way to apply regression to see what real Mongolian culture would be like?

Posted by website September 30, 09 03:32 PM
Posted by mongolian horse riding October 9, 09 12:21 AM

#106 is there any country which is not influenced by another country???? Understanding influences has different ways of understanding.. Russian could have influenced Mongolian appearance like they helped mongolia to construct buildings as the neighborhood.. But it doesn't mean that russia has influenced our rich history and culture. In every mongolian heart, it's beating true patriot heart.. If you visit in inner mongolia you will see the depressed people who want the freedom and who want to live in their own country as they wished..

Posted by mish November 2, 09 05:32 PM

All Mongolians must be affiliate !!! great nation in the world.

Posted by Mongolian November 6, 09 12:40 PM

Thank you for taking the time to put captions to the pictures, without them they loose a lot of meaning. We were in Mongolia 2008. The country and the people are beautiful but they need to learn not to rubbish their country; there is junk spread for miles around their CYMs. Give them time, they will learn. I hope China gives them time befor attempting to engulf them. We are going back to live there in 1010

Posted by Mark December 15, 09 06:56 PM

nice

Posted by khudree January 3, 10 01:45 PM

Foto molto belle, GRAZIE!

Posted by Mara January 24, 10 12:12 PM

Interesting photos. I agree with person above that it would be very interesting if it more studied and titled "3 Mongolias".

- Mongolia (Independent country)
- 3 Mongolian republics (Khalmik, Buryat, Tuva) in Russian Federation. (Now it's 2. Buryat lost it's republic status few years ago)
- Inner Mongolia (Autonomous region of China like Tibet and Xinjian or Uighur)

From the aspect of photo they are really not good ones to overview and express differences of these "2 Mongolias".

Anyway still 112 comments is not bad :) Like the idea of "2 Mongolias"

Thank you and goodluck!

Posted by Moser March 28, 10 06:08 PM

The movie "Mongol" made by Russion movie Director Bodrov is very impressive. The quality of the movies is equal to Hollywood movies.

But one thing people should know is that story of the movie is far beyond the true history.

Posted by MB March 28, 10 06:24 PM

the last picture. WOW It's Gorhi, when i was little my family used to spend summer there. I love this picture so many memories.. :)

Posted by Hahahehe April 8, 10 04:38 AM

First of all, thanks for posting nice photos. Second, I'm Mongolian myself, and if you don't mind, I'm gonna write in Mongolian below addressing those touchy, ignorant new kid-generation of Mongolians who have waned here about the English spelling of Genghis Khan, or about not specifying the difference between Inner or Outer Mongolia to their "satisfaction" etc. I'm gonna simply tell them to shut up. I also apologize for their rudeness and ignorance.

За тэр Tuguldur, Saruul болон бусад монголуудад: та нар одоо энэ хийрхүү сүржигнүүр зангаа боль доо. Сүрхий хүмүүс гарч ирж гэнэ, юм мэдэхгүй, англи хэл бүрэн сураагүй юм байж, худлаа савсагнаж онигоогоо тариад.. Англи хэлэнд Улаанбаатарыг Ulan Bator, Чингисийг Genghis гэдэг за. Та нар харин юм мэдэхгүй байж энэ нөхрийг “мэдэхгүй бол битгий бич” гэж бүлтэрдэг бн ш дээ. Төгөлдөр гуай. Монголоор Holland гэхийг Голланд, Japan гэхийг Япон гэдэг. Тэглээ гээд япон, голландууд “биднийг Жапан, Холланд гэсэнгүй” гэж савсалздаг уу? Битгий худлаа маяглацгаа за. Өвөр Монгол, Монгол хоёрын ялгаатайг сайн тайлбарласангүй ч гэх шиг. Хүн болгоны санаанд тааруулж хийнэ гэж юу бдаг юм. Битгий маягла л даа. Болиж үз та нар. Өмнөөс чинь нүүр улайчихлаа. Харин ч сэтгэл гаргаж чадлынхаа хэрээр сайн фотонууд цуглуулсан байна. Ерөөсөө гомдоллоод байхаар бичсэн, тависан зүйл алга за. Үүнийг нь үнэлж чадахгүй бол ядаж битгий хүн гомдоо. Муу санаагүй хүнийг. Интернэтэд монголын тухай тэр битгий юм л тавиж бичсэн байдаг даг. Тэд нартай очиж хэрэлд.

Posted by Отгоо June 30, 10 07:11 PM

Note to editor:Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center is in Gansu Province。

Posted by pengshen August 6, 10 05:38 AM

yes, great pictures!

Posted by Anonymous September 26, 10 07:50 AM

@113
Buryat still has a status of republic.

Posted by User November 25, 10 03:29 AM

i am planning a trip to Mongolia in June to celebrate my 70th birthday. these pictures made it real for me. thanks,

Posted by Jewell January 3, 11 12:59 AM