January 12, 2009 Permalink

The 2009 Dakar Rally

The Dakar Rally was traditionally an off-road multi-stage race from Paris to Dakar, Senegal. However, due to fears of terrorist attacks, the Rally was cancelled last year - and this year moved to an entirely different continent, South America. 540 teams started the 2009 Dakar Rally in Buenos Aires, Argentina on January 3rd, and, after 9,578 kilometres (5,951 mi) in 14 stages, will return to Buenos Aires on January 17th. Back in France, a small group of die-hard African Rally fans decided to stage their own version of the Dakar, folllowing the traditional route despite any terrorist threat, and have dubbed their version the "Africa Race", and 27 drivers started out from Marseille, France on December 28th. Here are some photographs of the official Dakar Rally (in South America), and a few of its shadow competition, the Africa Race. (30 photos total)

Carlos Sainz of Spain drives his Volkswagen during the 8th stage of the Dakar 2009, between Valparaiso and La Serena, Chile. Carlos Sainz won the stage and kept the lead in the race. (GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP/Getty Images)

real ridiculous

Posted by ricky ricardo January 12, 09 12:53 PM

#17 is by far my favorite

Posted by james January 12, 09 12:55 PM

I love this sport

Posted by R. Bouazzaoui January 12, 09 12:56 PM

You can take the race out of Dakar, but you can't take Dakar out of the race.

Posted by Shirley Goodwin January 12, 09 12:59 PM

Where is KAMAZ? :)

Posted by Artem January 12, 09 01:02 PM

Seems merely like an excuse to put tire tracks over more land. It really seems silly and a big waste of time and resources. Interesting photos, though, particularly the one with the ducks.

Posted by Jimbo January 12, 09 01:03 PM

I like it better when the Big Picture isn't about sports. Ski Jumping, airplanes, and dudes racing in the desert are not too inspirational. Perhaps if it was a renewable energy race it would be more interesting.

Posted by Nels Nelson January 12, 09 01:07 PM

great photos! but - no trucks :(
so much info about cars and moto, but so small amount video and photos with trucks :)

Posted by Sergey January 12, 09 01:13 PM

It's too bad rally car racing isn't more popular in the US; it's such a great sport.

Posted by sc January 12, 09 01:14 PM

Rally spectators are a special breed.....

Awesome pictures as usual.

Posted by Viking January 12, 09 01:14 PM

Nr 1 - That tree was made for this picture!

Posted by Gollum January 12, 09 01:32 PM

I've been waiting for this post! Keep it up, Big Picture! ;)

Posted by poTomek January 12, 09 01:37 PM

The freedom of racing in such beautiful landscapes seems so exhilarating!
- Anotherfaceinthecrowd.com

Posted by Greg Washington January 12, 09 01:41 PM

Africa needs Rally Car Racing like a Hole it it's Head

Posted by Dylan January 12, 09 01:42 PM

#17 - missed... didn't react fast enough, ouch. Great photo's, unimog ftw

Posted by BW January 12, 09 01:43 PM

Wow I am watching this photos from Quito Ecuador, every thing you post is eye-catching amazing. This one about the Dakar is particularly my favorite so far; it made me open my eyes and my mouth. I think sports photography is hard, but harder when is out doors in the “middle of nowhere” where sometimes you have to decide between carrying water or your camera. IMPRESIVE!!! Definitely too inspirational.

Posted by J. Alfonso Reece January 12, 09 01:58 PM

#10 and #20 are really amazing.

Posted by JAE January 12, 09 02:11 PM

American rider Jonah Street won the 5th stage, his first Dakar stage win, and was in 2nd overall up until the rest day. This on a shoestring budget. He was then penalized 15 minutes for some unknown reason which dropped him to 4th overall. During stage 8 he injured his wrists so bad that he was forced to retire from the rally.

I expected the negative comments here but you should know that ASO (organizers) and most of the large teams (even Jonah's, Team Rally Pan America) raise huge amounts of charity for the countries the race in. In addition to the charity efforts the Rally employs locals for all manner of things at bivouacs, a big payday for them.

Posted by Beez January 12, 09 02:20 PM

Truly outstanding photos. I think my favorite is #20. Awesome!

Posted by Erik January 12, 09 02:39 PM

there's no point in the bad comments...
the photos here are just amazing...and considering there's no much exact information about where the cars are going over, these shots are really hard but they're here...
and really...rally races should be more popular..they're just the best races and you really see who knows how to drive

Posted by Maxi S. January 12, 09 02:45 PM

"there's no point in the bad comments..."

Sure there is. Those comments are made by eco-scolds. They see other people doing something they don't like so they have to scold them about it being bad for the environment, etc. If they don't get it out of their system, their heads would explode. You wouldn't want that, would you?

Posted by scooter January 12, 09 03:10 PM

Great pictures but cars and motocycles photos shot by helicopter aren't the best way to help this countries.

Posted by Alain January 12, 09 03:24 PM

I just came back after living in Dakar, Senegal, for two years.
The Paris-Dakar rally was only about profit for the tourist business, which is in the firm hands of non-Africans. The Senegalese had no interest whatsoever in the rally. They didn't even turn their heads when the rally cars and trucks drove around Dakar in January 2007. It didn't give them anything!
A family friend used to cater for the German motorcycle team, for years, and he told us they were not employing many locals.
Personally, I couldn't have cared less when they cancelled the 2008 rally, but my (French) husband and a few (German) friends were a little disappointed.
I think it's a goood idea that they took it to South America, where people actually like car races. I just wish they'd given it another name. After all, Dakar is the name of a city on another continent. It seems a bit ridiculous to use that name for a car race in South America.

Posted by Pat in France January 12, 09 03:28 PM

Why do we have to profit from something? People say that this does nothing for the country but why does it have to? Why cant we do things for fun anymore, why does everything have to have an alterior motive or reason. Its a race its for fun and competition, the teams make no money off of this they merely spend it. This happens 1 time a year so dont complain about it hurting the enviroment. To people like me who love racing and race this is amazing. Off road endurance racing is some of the most brutal and challenging racing on the face of this planet. These are amazing athletes who put their lives on the line for not much more than a trophy. Great pictures and great sport.

Posted by Matt January 12, 09 04:01 PM

Most Bostonians probably do not know, but there is a local connection to Rally Panam, the privateer race team that sponsors Jonah Street, who won a motorcycle stage in the 2009 South American Dakar Rally, and who maintained a second place ranking for much of the race. Charlie Rauseo, who grew up in Lynnfield, MA, owns and manages the Rally Panam team out of San Francisco (RallyPanam.com).

Posted by David Rauseo January 12, 09 04:02 PM

It clearly shows that motor sports don't belong to the wild. Think of the same landscapes with horse riders for example. Motor sports just deface the beauty of nature.

Posted by Yogi January 12, 09 04:17 PM

Some people just don't get it. There is something especially magical about navigating and racing thousands of miles across barren wastelands. A couple of years ago they raced straight across the Sahara to Egypt, competing against each other in a world where no plants or animals could survive. The Dakar Rally is an event where the safety and sanity of modern life is left behind. There isn't much else like it anymore. As far as environmental impact, the entire event probably uses less fuel than one flight of a jumbo jet. And it's a heck of a lot more entertaining to watch, especially, I would imagine, for people out in the desert who don't see anything else all year long. I'm somewhat of an environmentalist myself, but I realize that some things just aren't worth worrying about. Let them do what they love to do.

Posted by Thomas Hay January 12, 09 04:25 PM

Nary a BMW in sight...

Posted by Phil January 12, 09 04:51 PM

Great photos!

Posted by Syncron January 12, 09 04:51 PM

I agree with Matt on this, what's the fuss about? This is escapism in its purest form, it shouldn't have to benefit anybody but the people putting their lives on the line to indulge in their passion. I'm an African, and I didn't benefit directly from the race, but I sure as hell tuned in every night to see what was going on.

And, incidentally, there are non-profits that benefit from the race, I think the details are on the dakar.com site.

Posted by sko11ie January 12, 09 05:02 PM

Excellent submission.
I am very happy to see it.

Thanks

Posted by Azharul Islam January 12, 09 05:07 PM

thanks for posting these! We've been calling it "EL DAKARO" since it moved to South America this year. The footage has been amazing, even if we've had to get our daily coverage off bittorrent (since the US coverage is.. lacking).

It's such a beautiful race.

Posted by tedder January 12, 09 05:12 PM

Argentina - Chile Dakar !

no Argentina Dakar ..

Posted by Rob January 12, 09 05:16 PM

Most people who complain about the "defacement of the wild" wouldn't know the wild if it came along and bit their city-living backsides - I am an outdoorsman, and the outdoors is there to be enjoyed as much as it is to be maintained - but for either to happen, you actually have to get out there and participate in it.

This rally will have boosted the economies of the regions it travelled through, and increased awareness of the landscape and local ecologies through the coverage in the media, and in the long run will most likely help spur work to help protect those local economies and ecologies - not a bad result for laying down a few "tire tracks".

Posted by Stuart Jones January 12, 09 05:21 PM

@ Nels: So, you find people starving, dying, getting killed, and otherwise suffering 'inspirational'? ;-)

Before I went back and read the intro, I thought they were going from Paris to Dakar via Chile and Argentina. I thought "Damn. Now that's a rally."

Posted by gravdigr January 12, 09 05:23 PM

@27

Argentina is not a wasteland.
nor 3rd world country.
in many ways, more advanced than the U.S

Posted by Anonymous January 12, 09 05:23 PM

Look closely, the rainbow is a DOUBLE rainbow!

Posted by W January 12, 09 05:23 PM

Man, it would be amazing to ride out in the wild, rather than on tracks an trails. Where I live, there just isn't the terrain to do this kind of stuff. Although I'm pretty sure my bike isn't in the condition to go riding off into the middle of nowhere.

Posted by Doug January 12, 09 05:27 PM

Horse racing? have you ever seen what horses do to a trail? Yogi, you along with the rest of the eco whiners can go suck it. At least rally cars dont leave piles of sh*t wherever they go.

Posted by matt macphail January 12, 09 05:30 PM

Suggestion: better than those car attacks on one of the most fragile environments on Earth (Patagonia, Atacama...), why not a Vendee Globe series of photos ?

Posted by Jay January 12, 09 05:52 PM

Yogi, you have obviousley never seen the impact a group of horse riders make. They rip a trail to shreds. it is barely walkable after horses go through.

Posted by Patrick January 12, 09 06:06 PM

So how many of you eco-warrior haterade-drinkers have actually strapped a bunch of food and water on your back, trekked into the wilderness of Africa or South America, and enjoyed it in its unspoiled, pristine beauty?

These people love the Earth *more than you do.* That's why they're sacrificing their time, money, and safety to actually get out and see it firsthand.

Posted by jared January 12, 09 06:19 PM

13 and 27 and RIDICULOUSLY awesomesauce!

Posted by Lizzie January 12, 09 06:27 PM

WHAT??? I wish there was a way they could make the racing less eco friendly. Maybe find a way they could dump the gas and oil out of the cars directly on the dirt, yet still be able to run. And what's up with the navigators? They should allow them to carry glocks and try to shoot at the wildlife as they drive by. They could make up a point system depending on the size of the animal/speed you are traveling at when you kill it. I'm thinking a side shot on one of those baby ducks while going 120kph should be worth at least 20 mins being taken off your total time. I mean are we just supposed to wait till one of these dumb animals just jump in front of one drivers and kills him? Please! Great race and pics!

Posted by Ken ^_^ January 12, 09 06:30 PM

The one with the ducks is great and above them all I believe !

Posted by Paul January 12, 09 06:44 PM

It's curious how this post generated interesting discussion. I can't make up my mind. Part of me say "wow, I want to be there", and the other part say "what a waste of resources".

It's true, maybe they waste less fuel than a oceanic flight, and people have the right to have fun, as the all worked to get it. But it's also true that nowadays we don't feel good to watch that show without thinking there are other folks in need.

Anyway, thank you all for your oppinions, this kind of debate is very important.

Posted by Pablo Benicio Sant'Anna January 12, 09 06:59 PM

Great Picture , That will be good , if you put some picture from theRed Bull crashed ice this Saturday at Quebec

Posted by Sylvain January 12, 09 07:13 PM

Great pictures!!! I must admit I dont like to see the greenies whom also live with everyday creature comforts afforded because of technological advances like the ones in the pictures complain about them. Unless you are living in a cave or under a tree and use nothing like computers or cities, a complaint on the internet only shows your willingness to use something to your advantage yet complain at the same time. Using the internet to view digitally taken pictures yet you yern for the simple life for others?? That will never make sense to me!

Posted by Donsfast January 12, 09 07:33 PM

VIVA CHILE MIERDA!!!!

Posted by Jorge Contreras January 12, 09 07:43 PM

Great photos and a great event.

Thanks for these - I was able to dream a little in the middle of my day at work. :-)

Posted by b January 12, 09 07:44 PM

Nice collection indeed.
Just to clarify to some folks for saying this sport as "waste of resource!"...
I dont think so. This is how we push technology ...

Posted by choco January 12, 09 07:46 PM

What a waste of time and money when so many in the world are starving.

Posted by Lisa Queen January 12, 09 08:26 PM

All you eco-BSers are a joke. Here you are on your MAC made in Indonesia by a bunch of 15 year olds from melted down plastic bottles "Recycled" as the smoke from the MAC molding plant goes strait into the sky with no EPA restrictions. Sipping your cafe la la la late fresh out of a 500 expresso machine made in Tialand by 13 year old kids "Recycled" from melted down 55 chevy cars and more "Recycled" plastic bottles as the Asian recycleing plant burns the inks and lables off the plastic bottles. But hey lets go talk sheet about a race where the top 3 manufactures competeing are using this race to develope the cleanest buring diesel on the planet from the R&D directly carried over to production cars from this race. You AZZ WHIPES!

Posted by FlyHiFlyLo January 12, 09 08:45 PM

The scenery is more breathtaking than the racers.

Posted by medstudent January 12, 09 09:00 PM

Post #46 FYI on the Dakar 'Rest Day' the ASO and Racers help finance and build 75 shelters ( small homes ) for unfortunate families in Chile and Argentina ... Also the DAKAR employs local$ to help run the nightly bivoacs ... Just so everyone KNOWS the racers and ASO - DO 'give back' and show appreciation to the peoples of the countries they go through ... not to mention a ton of Argentinias and Chileans are loving the Dakar !!!

Posted by Tricky Two January 12, 09 09:05 PM

Fantastic Pictures, the Dakar is truly inspirational albeit not the "Dakar" in the truest sense of the word I'm happy they managed to get it off the ground this year.

To the people whining about the environmental impact of the rally I suggest picking it up with Nascar, last time I checked they still ran on petrol not highly efficient diesel engines.

Posted by Jeroen January 12, 09 10:05 PM

I think this is a great move for the Argentine and Chilean organizers and their local economies. The influx of international interest and investment will go a long way for those communities along the race route. I know Argentina has a rich motorsports tradition and has long been a source of great national pride. I hope for the same for Chile. Moving the race from war-torn Africa to South America is a great move and could easily become its own, permanent event. I hope it succeeds.

Such sad news about Pascal Terry. God bless him, his family and friends.

Oh, and great pix.

Posted by Tom McCarthy January 12, 09 10:05 PM

Thanks for the great Pictures. You made my night. Know I'll go catch up on Versa to see what happen on stag nine.

Posted by Greeley January 12, 09 10:35 PM

Wow, the comments sure seem to be divided! While I can somewhat see how some people can look at the race and be upset at it's environmental impact, it is important to note that most of the stages are taking place on PRIVATE ranch land. The ASO spent over 100 days mapping a course that would be as low impact on the environment as possible. They worked very closely with the Argentinian and Chilean governments to ensure that protected areas in Patagonia and the Atacama desert were strictly respected.

I think it's so easy these days to just spout off about how bad something is without actually reading anything about it. Many of the stages also follow already established road systems, with only a small percentage going off piste. (Off road)

As has already been mentioned here, the Dakar is also about giving back to the host countries. The ASO and the teams who compete recognize that they are visitors in these lands and they are all to willing to give back to the people of those countries.

The Dakar is breathtaking, regardless of whether it is in Africa or South America. I for one can't wait until the day that I can really take it in...

Posted by Brimstone January 12, 09 11:02 PM

Hey tree huggers, I have worked MY ass off all my life to have what I have. Why should I give it to you.
A lot of these RACERS have sacrificed every thing they have just to be in this race.
Would you sacrifice every thing you have to give to the hungry or poor ? Ok why not ? As far as eco, to make Your little Prius or how ever its spelled , the pollution put out is far greater than most of these race cars will ever produce
SAVE THIS BIRD !

Posted by ERIK January 13, 09 12:08 AM

Spot on Brimstone.

I'm thoroughly sick of hearing whinging from PC eco-bunnies, who talk about the wilderness as if it's a mystical place delineated from cities. Most of you clowns wouldn't venture out further than your local park.

These are places that are completely inaccesible by foot. A single formula one race has a larger carbon footprint than the Dakar rally. Bugger off and pester them instead.

Posted by bedhouin January 13, 09 12:12 AM

This is the ultimate off road race in the world. I have enjoyed the photos and most of the comments. Wish I was there!

Posted by Anonymous January 13, 09 01:04 AM

Great pictures! Excellent work putting these together!

Posted by FrankZA January 13, 09 02:08 AM

I am gonna say before you say that, to build a Prius causes more pollution than any of the race cars will ever produce, I really suggest you do some research before spouting something out like that, maybe you are right, but it's always good to have research to back it. Um as for these pictures I really think they are amazing, and excellent. I have a friend, who's dad is the CEO of Wide Open Baja, they do the Baja 1000 every year. I honestly have to say that there are some people that don't understand, I think it can really show us the beauty of the world though, especially with pictures like this.
Also before people start making fun of the environmentalists you have to respect them, for what they are trying to do. Not those piss ant, environmentalists that, do it just to be cool, or whatever, but the people that do it because they know it's right, so would you people please stop bad mouthing environmentalists, especially when you really don't understand them.

Posted by JCarlin January 13, 09 02:59 AM

Many eco-fanatics seem to forget that humanity is far more important than saving a few trees. Nature is to be preserved, sure, but it is there to serve humanity too.

Posted by Manny January 13, 09 03:03 AM

Absolutely amazing!!

Posted by traveljunkie January 13, 09 03:15 AM

"What a waste of time and money when so many in the world are starving."
Instead of wasting your time reading this article and writing that line use it to call and donate money to help these starving people.. right? And if you did... well help more. You know you can.

About destroying the landscape. ENJOY the freaking world, leave tracks.. leave proof that you've been there instead of just looking at pics of untouched land saying "how pretty". Go to that place... grab the soil.. breath the air and look at your footprints with pride.

Posted by Mauricio January 13, 09 03:19 AM

This website has clearly served its purpose. It's now degrading into a "flame blog". The value or appreciation for the photographic content of selected pictures within a single post, has gone out the window. Quit the comments, moderate the inane rubbish being spewed forth here, or bolt this thing in a box.

Not worth the RSS feed any longer.

Posted by Matt January 13, 09 03:34 AM

To editor

The rally dakar 2009 is Argentina and Chile two different country, so could you change the the main page please means SouthAmerica and the first time this Rally across the ocean to the American Continent .

atte

Greeting from Chile and Argentina

Posted by Jose luis Betancur January 13, 09 03:38 AM

i hate dakar. dakar is not a sport! They pollute uncontaminated lands!

Posted by titti January 13, 09 03:46 AM

You should actually try to aquire pictures of last weekends ice-skating frenzy in Holland. It was just great to do and look it. High spirits, typical dutch mood and a pittoresk and lively picture.

Posted by Frank January 13, 09 03:46 AM

Wow what awesome photos, thanks for sharing.

WRT the complaints from the eco tree huggers etc.....Well I am also of those people, but get a life. 90% of the race is on existing dirt roads and tracks. The tracks made through the dunes will be gone after the first good winds. For me there is nothing better than getting on my 950 and riding out into the wilderness and appreciating the beauty that is there. Rather go fight the big industries that are polluting our earth and cause more damage to the environment in one day that the Dakar ever will.
Mark

Posted by Mark January 13, 09 03:46 AM

If there is Hyundai Motor, I will be more pleased with ....
Anyway way to go !!!!!
I like man's passion,spirit for adventure....

Posted by Anonymous January 13, 09 04:01 AM

Way to go!!!!

Posted by . January 13, 09 04:03 AM

#1, #9, #16, #20 wicked !

Posted by Elisabeth January 13, 09 04:22 AM

Spectacular, would like to take part, in both challenges, Africa as well as South America

Posted by Frank January 13, 09 04:51 AM

Truly ridiculous! Messing up a landscape like this! And for what cause? The first guy who's back in the same place - after 6,000 km's of ravaging the landscape - wins... In times of more environmental awareness and global financial crisis I would be more impressed if these guy's would race by bicycle. The one who leaves the smallest footprint wins... Welcome to the 21st century!

Posted by Jeason January 13, 09 04:52 AM

what a waste of resources? like you would ever know anything about Dakar, Senegal, Sahara, now Argentina's and Chile's deserts if there was no race there?
Jeah, it's so "cool" to talk about envirement and "resources" right now, so let's everybody speak somthing against we don't know anything about.

Posted by Gligorio January 13, 09 05:20 AM

I really hate what the rally does to the land. I don't really like racing, but at least F-1 or NASCAR do what they do in closed roads. The Paris-Dakar has been wasting the already wasted Africa landscape, and the Atacama desert is a pretty fragile ecosystem (¿desierto florido, anyone?). I love extreme out-door sports and practice some of them myself, but I'm not a hypocritical superecoterrorist or whatever silly nickname the car-lovers want to give me. I like technology and eat meat and stuff. But this rally is nonsense.

Also,

Posted by Guayec from Chile January 13, 09 06:44 AM

Very good pics, keep them coming, Thanks

Posted by Anonymous January 13, 09 07:33 AM

I wish more photos like this

Posted by tom January 13, 09 08:18 AM

@titi, you haven´t been here, clearly. I was on Saturday's special, on Canela Baja, and I never saw a town like that soo happy... and by the way, there lives people. Is so unpolluted as your nearby far west town.

@78, really Nascar sucks and F1 is out of control. Do rally, man! use your country! is beautiful, as well as mine. Besides, last year didn´t rain in Atacama, so there isn´t flower desert.

Might be true that Africans doesn't like dakar, that doesn't gives them any money, but in Chile and Argentina we love motorsports and we are very happy for the millions dollars we are getting with dakar tourists.

Posted by Alfredo Cofré January 13, 09 08:26 AM

I´m happy because nowadays we have some people concerning about environment, at least. Thirty years ago nobody would come here to atacks these kind of races. Something is better, maybe next thirty years all of our sons will think it´s stupid.
I hope the fragile environment survives till there.

M. Campos

Posted by M. Campos January 13, 09 08:43 AM

Very nice pictures. They are truley breathtaking.

As for the people who dont want to mess up the landscape, This world was intended to be used and explored, It'll get tracked over eventually. Leave the racers to their fun.

Posted by Austin January 13, 09 09:31 AM

Anyone that has been to the Grand Canyon and seen the photography of 100 years ago and now side by side knows how slow change comes to the desert (floods not withstanding). I understand the "sport" in engineering the most durable, fastest, and most capable car and testing it against a brutal landscape...I get that. But the environmental variable is missing. There are other limitations on performance...rules of the road...tracks to follow. It is NOT a "first man across, wins". Why not add a new variable...minimum fuel efficiency...and/or maybe some points deducted or awarded based on environmental considerations. Sure a guy might cross 3rd, but he might win on points. It's just another puzzle for the engineers and if the stakes are high enough, maybe some real innovation will come out of it. Indy guys innovate around new rules all the time.A

Posted by MikeN January 13, 09 09:56 AM

I live in Argentina, I was born here , will die here, so... listen to me. This Rally is wonderfull . It is great for us. 90 % of 40 millions people who live here love Rallys. The 2008 Argentina World Rally Car joins more than one million persons only in the day when this race cross the Corboba mountains.
Probably the "Dakar" causes a litlle enviroment problem , that is nothing comparing with our real problems of waste and poorness that sourrands Buenos Aires CITY. This race puts us in the world map. Manyt people in USA and Europe thinks we are the main city of Brazil!!!. (It is nos a joke!!!, try : ask to your friends about Argentina. they will say Maradona,and no more. This will bring us a lot o tourists wishing to visit our deserts, our patagonia, our pampa, our Los Andes mountains. And... who knows, maybe someone will send a litlle help to more than 20 million people we have living with one dollar a day!!! Send kindly coments to : mlotra@merlo-sl.com.ar- "FAT greens " please don`t bother ... come here to really help us . CPA. Osvaldo Biancheri- Merlo - San Luis -Argentina

Posted by Osvaldo Biancheri January 13, 09 10:40 AM

great pictures! come to chile and you'll see there's a lot here to race through. we have the dryest desert in the world, forests, lakes and 4.000 kilometers of beaches.
great food, nice people and very safe for tourists.
ok, i'm chilean… and i love my country. and visit us!

Posted by perro January 13, 09 01:17 PM

Are all the greenies done whining yet?

Posted by Greg January 13, 09 01:27 PM

First off GREAT PICS!!! There is some amazing shots here (gotta love the ducks...) thank you so much for posting them up.
To all the people posting up denouncing this race as an ecological problem etc,.
1: How much time do you have on your hands to view subject matter your only interest in is to provide your self righteous greater than thou self a soap box to stand upon... Get a life, and allow others to live theirs...
2: Your efforts would be better spent fighting the plethora of other much greater problems than a race that happens ONCE A YEAR!!!!!!!
3: Ag based deforestation destroys hundreds upon hundreds of acres a day more than what this race has perpetrated across its entire history... See point 2

Posted by Gatsby January 13, 09 02:33 PM

Great Great Pictures of an stupid stupid idiot idiot think!!!

Posted by Joan January 13, 09 02:43 PM

Good thing there are still people who find adventure in stretching the limits and pushing to envelope. Love to see racers, pilots, sailors, anyone who can take a challenge and overcome adversity. To you whiny greenies, the land is supposed to be used you knuckleheads - how do you think they made your flowing robes and birkenstocks (sp?) anyway ? BTW, don't you have some protest rally to attend ? And may I ask, what are you wearing right now ? Jeans, T-shirts and shoes made from - Anybody, anybody - Bueller, anybody ?? Maybe you should protest animals who eat/trample grass and poop outside - Whine away..

Posted by AnitWeasel January 13, 09 03:23 PM

Its the ARGENTINA - CHILE DAKAR 2009!!! please..

Posted by wtf January 13, 09 03:44 PM

The Dakar is exhilarating to watch. If America was exposed to more rally racing stupid NASCAR might die instead of clogging up the TV channels with the likes of Robbie Gordon. I still miss the WRC footage we used to get on SPEED.
One more point- Is it because Versus is catering to an American audience with their 1/2 hour updates that they do not interview or feature the # 1 driver, Carlos Sainz? Sainz speaks English perfectly well and is WAY more articulate than Robbie Gordon's " well, there will be a section of rocks, then some sand, then some more rocks and then some dirt..." when describing an upcoming leg of a race. What a waste of airtime.

airtime.

Posted by Mojave29 January 13, 09 04:05 PM

Why do you assh*les have to make it a political or environmental issue? It's a goddamn race. Enjoy it as such, and if you can't, go save some gay baby whales, because you're sure as sh*t ain't doing anything worth while bitching about something you have no control over.

Posted by Ji January 13, 09 04:16 PM

A shame for any human with the tiniest bit of brain

Posted by Nina. January 13, 09 04:16 PM

hay que darle pancito a las palomitas eh

Posted by Bextor January 13, 09 04:40 PM

Super fotki, tylko szkoda ¿e nie ma na nich ekipy Orlenu

Posted by Pl January 13, 09 04:59 PM

Watch the coverage every day at 3:30pm / 6:30pm Eastern on VERSUS!!!! It's insane / amazing / epic... not to be missed

Posted by Amazing race fan January 13, 09 05:02 PM

Not my favorite post. I've been on too many hikes in the desert where otherwise delicate and untouched landscape is scared by off-road tracks.

I can appreciate the challenge and appeal of this sport, just not the tire tracks.

Posted by mike January 13, 09 05:14 PM

boy some people bloging here are idiots, to many to name

Posted by Ed Glofka January 13, 09 05:33 PM

There just isn't enough coverage of this sport... more more more.

I would take my annual leave and work for free to help shoot or edit more content. 30mins is all we get... what is that.

Posted by Matt January 13, 09 06:10 PM

To those who think:
It is a waste of resources. Humans do allot of that and this is probably fairly small on the world scale of waste, so get over it.
You're destroying the environment. The environment is an every changing thing and I certainly don't think we should be doing things to permanently change it, but I think we need to give it another 10,000 years or so to see if any of the man made changes really have any effect.
They should be doing it on bicycles or a more eco-friendly methods. People do racing that way, but it just was not popular enough that they only want to race that way.

I have been riding in the California desert for more than 30 years and only once came across a possible environmentalist that was out there exploring.
So if you're not out there using the same area, stop trying to impact other that are.

Posted by G4it January 13, 09 06:16 PM

Poor Nina, she only has the tiniest bit of brain.

Posted by D. Castanza January 13, 09 06:38 PM

No, frankly... We live in 2009 to see this ? Ok, great pictures, but are War pictures not great also sometimes ? Does that mean wars are good because they produce great pics ? Going more than 200 km/h through those empty site, what is the challenge ? Can you still call this a 'sport' when you remember the 'Dakar' makes 54 dead persons since it began ? Half of these dead where people coming back home and being killed by machines they do not even know about thei existence and performance on earth ? Who's interest this event is made for ? Have we built 4000 years of civilisation to come to this point of non-sense ?

Posted by Maikeul January 13, 09 06:44 PM

Belas fotos. Parabéns aos fotógrafos e força aos competidores !!

Posted by Mauro Pimentel January 13, 09 07:06 PM

I am going to keep this positive because it is great to see any American (non underground) media giving this amazing rally some coverage. Thanks very much for the pictures!! This is truly an amazing rally and the to even finish it on a motorcycle is a serious challenge met by few. To actually be able to be in good enough shape physically and mentally to compete for top honors is unreal. To the people who look at it in terms of environmental impact....please open up your mind and take a deeper look at this amazing individual sport. The rally organizers to give back to the country of Africa FYI. Go to www.advrider.com if you like the rally and want a little more info.

Rally On!!

Posted by Ray January 13, 09 09:01 PM

Las fotos estan espectaculares, yo tube la suerte de ver pasar a los competidores el el pc nº 5 el la 9 etapa entre LA SERENA Y COPIAPO , y el espectaculo es ESPECTACULAR. SALUDOS DESDE CHILE EL PAIS MAS BELLO DE SUD AMERICA!!

Posted by LEONARDO FERNANDEZ January 13, 09 09:20 PM

Inacreditavel as fotos.........ANIMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sem palavras

Posted by Carlos January 13, 09 09:27 PM

This is the best race in the world, no matter who say a different thing, obviously there is not too many people that know what is the feeling of riding outdoors with no road at all, (too many high ways in u.s) , some people thing that the best is to ride a harley on an interstate road, or maybe a spotbike on a race track but have no idea what is like to have miles and miles of wild and changes of temperature in matter of few hours, with out need to wait that the summer become spring, and all that, beacuse in south america we have countries were you can have the weather you want all year, and the most beautiful womans in the world.

Posted by Dani Roma January 13, 09 10:44 PM

Great pictures, thank you! As to the "eco-freaks", take a chill pill, it is the balance of life.... there is far more good done, than bad.... again, agreed, a matter of perspective, but most of you did NOT go there, you only wrote from your computer, and your involvement is that of a distant turd. Bon Appetite!

Posted by bkohler January 13, 09 10:45 PM

Pic # 20 is the best
The Dakar Rally is perhaps the toughest of them all - it's a shame though that it isn't held anymore on the traditional route.

Posted by shanx January 13, 09 11:41 PM

One guy (#68) says he'll yank this website off his rss feed because of the harsh comments. It's a blog that deals entirely with pictures and he'll stop coming because of the comments. I shouldn't have to point out how stupid that is. But I will. That's stupid.

As for the environmental issues, people must be pretty arrogant to think that they are powerful enough to forever change a landscape because of a race. As far as I can tell the only thing getting spoiled is some dirt. Don't worry. The dirt won't get dirty.

Posted by Nota Idiot January 14, 09 12:25 AM

Long live to CHILE AND ARGENTINA THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE IN AMERICA WITH BRASIL, IS YOU HAVE ANY change to know, come over, forget it mexico and europe that the old choice to know

Posted by Jose luis Betancur January 14, 09 12:26 AM

this whole concept is badass!

Posted by dan January 14, 09 12:28 AM

Simply exhilarating !

thanks to you, we can sit on our desks and enjoy the best pictures from around the world !

thanks for enriching our lives

Posted by Sanjeev , Goa, India January 14, 09 12:36 AM

Where are the pictures of the dying people of GAZA?!?!

Posted by Sarah January 14, 09 03:08 AM

Great pics. I would like to say that, I think, many people forget that racing serves as test ground for the cars, technologies that eventually make the cars that we drive every day, more efficient, i.e. more eco friendly. I race a bit my self, and I m really trying to make it as eco friendly as possible, as I think, everyone is today. I think there are other industries, and wars for example, that are more concerning than one race.
P. S. Argentina and Chile rules :) I think that the race should stay there.

Posted by ecologist, Croatia January 14, 09 03:09 AM

Amazing shots! Thank you for sharing

Posted by TRC OFF January 14, 09 03:48 AM

I think these pictures are brilliant. Well done to all the people who shot all the pictures; and good luck to all the competitors.

Posted by Eugene McManamus January 14, 09 03:50 AM

I love the pic's, my sympathy to Pascal's family. To the eco's, "ride a bicycle?" come on and get real, did you or anybody in your family drive a car to work today, yesterday...?

Posted by Vinny January 14, 09 08:30 AM

Some stunning pics in there. Glad someone pointed me at this page.

@all of the people complaining about environmental impact
People like different things. Deal with it. I assume none of you drives or uses a computer, since we burn far more power doing those than a racing event.

Posted by Paul January 14, 09 10:26 AM

Too bad terrorist A-holes have ruined the Dakar and it has to be moved to a whole other continent but as we can see, it is beautiful country with people that appreciate and want to have the money, publicity and prestige of the premiere off road event in the world.

Posted by Aaron S. January 14, 09 10:28 AM

These pics grab my soul and throttle hand and scream "what the hell are you doing sitting at this desk".

As for environmentalist twits would realize that off road racers are their comrades not their enemies. Racer LOVE the wild and want to see it protected from industry and development. Offroad racers ARE environmentalists because they are motivated to protect what they love.

Posted by Cat MacLeod January 14, 09 11:53 AM

Carlos Sainz retired from rally racing because he was too old !
Last I saw, he was playing golf with his WRC buddies.
Score one more for the old dudes !!!!

Posted by the Senior class January 14, 09 01:38 PM

INCREIBLES FOTOS MUY BUENAS , TUVE LA OPORTUNIDAD DE VERLOS EN DIRECTO YA QUE DESCANZARON EN VALPARAISO PARA LUEGO RETOMAR LA ETAPA VALPARAISO-SERENA , UN SALUDO A TODO EL MUNDO DE VALPARAISO-CHILE .

Posted by SAMUEL GALLERO January 14, 09 02:32 PM

In ref to comment 26 from Yogi...are you a member of the 'Ramblers association'??
Thank you Getty Images for the stunning photo's.
All who enter are Hero's regardless of finishing place IMO.

Posted by Antoinette Ross January 14, 09 03:03 PM

nice landscapes, but why these cars and this pollution in the middle ?
in France more and more people say: "le dakar c'est ringard!" ...translation: ( The Dakar is for laggards")
I agree with the comment about vendee globe nautic race around the world : when do we have images of it , a far better adventure with real competitors in respect with earth?

Posted by e.soleil January 14, 09 04:26 PM

Breath-taking pictures, really amazing... The dakar (and other rally raids always amaze me), the determination, the hard work and the abuse the machines can take, simply stunning...

Thank you and the men out there taking pictures...

Posted by Ben Comana January 14, 09 04:45 PM

I just knew this series would spark some heated discussion on the environment. I think everyone agrees that we need to be environmentally conscious. But Mark has it right. Lets worry about the real environmental issues, not a few tire tracks, burned gas, trampled weeds. The impact from this race (which only happens once a year, and travels different routs) is a microscopic drop in the bucket when compared to true environmental problems. It will be a sad day when we become so PC that we can't take part in great events like this.
I also have to point out to Sarah that all she has to do is look a couple of days back to see pictures of dead people in Gaza. Alan does a fantastic job of posting image stories that encompass all walks of life. If all you want to see is devastation in the Middle East tune to CNN.
Oh yea. Great Pics, as usual.

Posted by birddog January 14, 09 08:58 PM

First class photos! as for all you so called enviromentalists we gain so much technology from the racing R&D departments that ends up in the Millions of cars and trucks all over the planet (cleaner burning powerplants, longer lasting drive trains, SAFTEY SYSTEMS and much more enviromentaly positive items)
So in the long run if you can see past a few tracks in the sand from a couple hundred racers (that will disappear anyway) for only two weeks, Its a good thing! Not to mention all the help that the promoters and sponsers do for the villages along the course. GET A CLUE GREENIE!

Posted by Doug Anderson January 14, 09 09:04 PM

I love the pictures and thanks to Dakar organisiser for such an event. Thanks

Posted by shane January 15, 09 04:42 AM

Greenies , give us a break
These guys are out there living life to the full,in todays sociaty when every other idoit is trying to blow each other up,you complain about some vegetation being cut up.
Theirs more to worry about in this world than the small footprint that the Dakar leaves, I too one day hope to compete in this amazing race and I also hope to be able to contribute to the poorer citizens of which ever country it passes through,just like many racers and teams have done so in the past.

Posted by Ray January 15, 09 06:04 AM

Awesome, as always :)
Thank you for making me an eyewitness, even for a while...

Posted by Galina January 15, 09 09:02 AM

Just Beautiful......I love it. =)

Posted by anders January 15, 09 10:23 AM

i can only repeat, 'Great Photos'. i was at the Dakar last year, only to find out it was cancelled on arrival. We ended up riding the Moroccan stages with a few of the teams that decided to use the cancellation for testing...riding at 100mph on a flat sandy dry lake with baseball size rocks every 2 feet, and erosion ruts 3' deep is not for the weak of heart. Having a big transport come within inches of your rear tyre while going 80mph and horning you, glancing over your shoulder, it looks like a house about to run over you, does take some nerve.
Dakar in Africa will be missed. No teams don't usually hire locals, but whole towns depend on the race. Hotels and homes are rented by the thousands, meals are prepared, and countless details are taken care of by locals. It is the locals that make up this infrastructure. Many live all year on these 2 weeks. Riding through towns, school closes, people turn out on the roads by the 1000s, waving, yelling, it is a very big deal to them. It is a big deal of us, one of the last true adventure races. Nothing will replace that for Africa or the riders.

Posted by Johnnie Winona Ross January 15, 09 11:40 AM

To all the greenies, the world is cooling down. It's a cycle. Get over it. 97% of co2 is naturally produced. Cowshit produces nasty toxic methane. Go shout at the cows and tell them to fart in a can. Environmental impact at these events is practically zero. They also carry spill kits in case a drop of oil is lost to keep everyone happy. They don't even run coolant, just water, in case they loose some. Do you run coolant in YOUR car? Oh noes my car might freeze. These guys and girls do more for the environment than you sitting typing in a blog. Where does the electricity come from to power your computers as you type here? Yeah thats right probably from burning fossil fuels, your not powering that laptop using just solar right? What about the mining that took place to make that nasty toxic lithium battery you use? It's called dust to dust impact, the fact of it is all of us have an impact whether we like it or not. Some collect pop cans to make themselves feel better. Just shut up. Unless you live in a tent in the bush and catch and kill your own wildlife to eat you have an impact on the earth. Oh thats right easier for you to go to Walmart and buy your food. (In your SUV most likely) . Oh i'm sorry, you drive a hybrid? Congratulations, the dust to dust impact of a Jeep Wrangler is the same as a Toyota Hybrid. Brilliant. How do you think those batteries were made? Grown in battery groves?

Great pictures, great event, shame it had to move because of "terrorists". Long live rallying as it's the purest form of motorsport.

Posted by David Gale January 15, 09 12:09 PM

muchas felicidades por tus fotos amigo estan muy muy fregonas eh suerte y a darle que bie por gente como tu que nos traes estas imagenes y pues me gusta mucho la fotografia y en serio que un 100 eh saludos

Posted by luis pepin barrys January 15, 09 04:35 PM

Who cares about the environment ?
Who cares about sports, car racing or adventure ?

This "Dakar" thing is just made up to be an Event, ready for Sponsors, Brands, Media channels and Corporate Entertainment.
Locals love it, even when it used to kill them (and probably will again), as they believe the hype and think it attracts attention to their land. That's just a collateral.
Please, ladies and (mainly) gentlemen, please buy the ideology : extreme, heroes, wilderness, power – the key values of that kind of Brand. We can't escape and we don't want to : because our lives and perspectives are the exact opposite. And it's supposed to be a good show, after all.

Some of the competitors are amateurs with a nice race spirit. They're fools and they are great. Nothing is black and white.
Stay with us. We'll return after the break with more heated and brutal opinions.

Posted by The fourth marketeer January 15, 09 06:30 PM

Simplesmente fantásticas as GRANDES FOTOS---"MONUMENTOS VIVOS",
pena tenho de não ter sido eu a tirá-las...pena mesmo não estar lá na Aegentina e Chile...para me poderem fotografar também-----UM DIA ---OUTRA VEZ

Posted by JOÃO RÔLO January 15, 09 06:47 PM

Fantastic pictures. Only thing that can be better is actually to make these fabulous photos yourself (with the right skills ofcourse). Amazing work from professionals.

Thank you.

...and the comments from these "eco-people" are just hilarious. Please post more. Hahahaha...

Posted by Al January 15, 09 09:55 PM

Best DAKAR photographs I have seen.

Posted by Paul Hanley January 15, 09 10:39 PM

So much tearing up of untouched land.

Posted by Eve January 15, 09 11:04 PM

CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.I WENT TO THIS PLACE FEW DAYS AGO.

Posted by FERENCZ January 15, 09 11:05 PM

I for one am glad that there is so much spirit of adventure left in people. This is something Ive always wanted to do, just strap myself into a powerful all terrain machine and go have a blast in the sand/rocks/whatever. Its great that this can still happen, even though liberal media has pretty much castrated once proud people to the point they cannot enjoy anything.

The only "waste" I see here is these retarded green-thumb comments.

Posted by bobhope January 16, 09 12:25 AM

24 looks like a cockpit of an helicopter.

Posted by Niceguy January 16, 09 12:47 AM

I love dakar . hope to see it for years to come.

Posted by Allen Moraru January 16, 09 06:44 PM

WONDERFUL PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S A POWER RALLY!!!

Posted by trindade January 17, 09 09:01 AM

lisa queen well if that is your concern then sell you computer and donate the money to the food bank! and before you say i was using the library, you should have been at the shelter preparing a meal with you time that i know you are not wasting looking at racing pics.?>?>
some people? they not know how much money these things generate twards donations towards what she is complaining about,

Posted by butch January 17, 09 03:26 PM

yes, peru must die and i love the dark knight... good pics!

Posted by argetinelover69 January 17, 09 04:33 PM

EXCELENTES E INCREIBLES FOTOS!!!...

Posted by Marcelo January 17, 09 04:44 PM

C'est beau , très beau

Posted by Tourel Marie January 17, 09 06:42 PM

If you like the Dakar pictures, I posted mines at:
I hope you enjoy them.
Jorge

Posted by Jorge January 17, 09 07:18 PM

As an Argentine living in the US I'm extremely proud and happy the Dakar happened in Argentina and Chile, and was extremely successful and challenging!
Now that the world has discovered the terrain and the people of Argentina they keep doing the Dakar year after year there... and who knows, I may race it one day!
Cheers! for this Dakar that ended, and for next year party, which I hope it begins and ends again in the great city of Buenos Aires!

Posted by Sebastian January 17, 09 10:44 PM

To Jorge: Loved your pictures. They show so much more of the background and the human aspect involved. Joan

Posted by Anonymous January 18, 09 01:30 AM

Thanks Joan ! Regards, Jorge

Posted by Jorge January 19, 09 02:46 PM

muchas gacias por tus fotos son muy buenas y muchas gracias por publicarlas a todos los internautas apasionados por los fierros

Posted by leonardo g perez January 19, 09 08:07 PM

hermosas fotos!!!!!!!
pude verlos , tanto al iniciar como al finalizar el rally en bs. as .
BUENISIMO!!!! LO DISFRUTAMOS MUCHO!!!!

Posted by LAURA January 19, 09 10:42 PM

EXCELENTES FOTOS,,, EXCELENTE ARGENTINA,CHILE.ESPERO SE REPITA 2010 .saludos,,,BECKER4X4,,,

Posted by BECKER 4X4 January 20, 09 07:01 AM

The enviros should go defacate in their bonnet.
Don Prieto

Posted by Don Prieto January 20, 09 07:07 PM

Waw!
I like 5, 12, 13, 20 and 23 !

Posted by vmval January 21, 09 05:53 AM

Some of these pics are just amazing, the rest spectacular. #20, just brilliant. If the rally ends up in SA next year again I really hope I can go to see it with my own eyes.

As for the environazis, I really wish we could ship them all to Mars or at least to the moon. They could enjoy their untouched precious landscape there all they want.

Posted by Thomas January 21, 09 08:38 AM

Some of the posters are right. The Dakar might seem beautiful and aventurous, but what it actually is is an expensive entertainment for multi-millionaires around the world. Only 10-15 of the participants are sponsored professionals, the rest 300-400, amateurs, have to fork out around €200.000 to be able to take part.

Posted by Carlos Sainz January 21, 09 02:25 PM

Third Stage: Puerto Madryn - Jacobacci
Fourth Stage: Jacobacci - Neuquen
Fifth Stage: Neuquen - San Rafael
Sixth Stage: San Rafael - Mendoza

Posted by Ines January 21, 09 06:35 PM

After many years of terrorizing the nomads in the sahara, they moved the whole circus to argentina because of the threat of terrorism? Strange

Posted by Peter De Klerck January 22, 09 10:53 AM

Awesome pictures and a great race. Watched it a bit on versus channel. Go hug a cactus! It's sand that the tracks will be gone in a week.

Posted by Billy Bob January 22, 09 10:05 PM

So many don't understand....the quest for personal achievement associated with this race. There are few events that rival its fantastic challenge. Maybe Tour de France...
For people to be so out of touch with reality when it comes to the environmental issue. Any guess as to the amount of CO2 sent atmospheric as a result of a football game? Cars, planes, fossil and coal fueled electricity...this is ONE race ONCE A YEAR!
The media does a great job of brainwashing people...

Posted by Rainmaker January 23, 09 12:41 AM

Someone said Dakar is not a Sport. He´s rigth, Dakar is a Religion!

Greatings to Helder Rodrigues, Paulo Gonçalves and all portuguese riders! Good work!
Thanks for sharing Boston Globe!

Joao Teixeira
Portugal

Posted by Joao Teixeira January 23, 09 11:52 AM

Great pictures - great event - ultimate testing of human and machine endurance..

Treehuggers on this blog - Please start taking care of this planets real problem which is overpopulation -> You can start the planetary healing by eliminating yourselves...

Posted by screwdriver January 24, 09 01:39 PM

Great race and enviromental responsible.
Tree huggers abound in Boston and they have no life. They run around trying to dictate how we live. Global warming, and I'm freezing my a$$ off up here.
Go back in your little green hole, a-hole

Posted by straighttalk January 25, 09 08:53 AM

son unes fotos excelents. enhorabona per l'iniciativa.

Posted by miquel vigil garcia January 26, 09 12:23 PM

awesome pictures , I am such a huge fan .
also care about the environment , probably if we are more responsible in our everyday life about using the earth's resources we might have a better chance saving the planet than criticizing Dakar that happens once a year.

Posted by whitenile January 26, 09 01:38 PM

This rally is a total nonsense. Of course the landscapes are spectacular, but why the hell do men have the need to destroy every litlle beautiful thing (and sometimes people) ?? No I'm not an "environazi", but these lanscapes could be sublimized by a traditional raid hiking, moutain biking, paragliding or whatever outdoor sport you want if you like competition, instead of land destruction, big noise and cultural ignorance !

Posted by Nicolas Aubertin, Grenoble, France January 26, 09 02:38 PM

excelente fotos muy imprecionantes bajacalifornia mexico

Posted by gustavo n. January 26, 09 11:09 PM

NICE! hope to see more pictures

Posted by Jose Stephan L. Hinlo January 27, 09 03:34 AM

omg freekin cool

Posted by kayla duh January 27, 09 09:34 AM

cool!!

Posted by kayla duh January 27, 09 09:36 AM

foto stupende, complimenti per la scelta

Posted by Generoso - L'Aquila - Abruzzo - Italia January 28, 09 11:02 AM

Posted by gerard cox January 28, 09 03:33 PM

my son from australia took part in the dakar rally in a truck and would really like to thank all the people of argintina and chile for their hospitality he wants to go back there as a tourist

Posted by gail hayes January 29, 09 03:16 AM

Those were the best photos I had ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous January 30, 09 09:23 AM

i like this

Posted by omar marfoua January 30, 09 04:05 PM

Por favor, que adrenalina, me encanta!!!

Posted by vanina February 3, 09 12:25 PM

Bonitas fotos, reflejo de una increible aventura que algun dia volveremos a llevar a cabo con el equipo DEPORTUR alla donde vaya el rally... felicidades al campeon MARC COMA y a todos los corredores que han participado. un gran trabajo estas fotos que sin duda recorreran el mundo.! felicidades!

Posted by PEDROTUR February 3, 09 12:38 PM

Simplismente fantásticas essas fotos! Nós aqui do Brasil torcemos para que tenhamos um raly desse nível. Com competidores do mundo todo.
Congratullations do Mato Grosso!

Posted by Anonymous February 5, 09 09:27 AM

Como he andado poco por el interior del pais, no me imaginaba que habia tan hermosos paisajes naturales en "mi pais". Felicitaciones a todos los que han colaborado con su esfuerzo a brindarnos esta demostración de tecnica y naturaleza.
Nuevamente felicitaciones

Posted by EDELMIRO February 7, 09 01:46 PM

Sangar Rek. Aku seneng nontok gambare sing gede lan cetho koyok ngene. Pokok-e sip lah. Taun ngarep nek isa yo tetep ono koyok ngene yo. mula ya di update lah. Bravo Rally

Posted by nano wong jowo February 20, 09 03:52 AM

FOTOS EXCELENTES PARA UN RALLY QUE LES QUEDO GRANDE A LOS ORGANIZADORES Y COMPETIDORES Y A LOS QUE SUBESTIMABAN EL POTENCIAL DEL RALLY DAKAR EN SUD AMERICA.
ESTUVE UN COPIAPO, ESPECTACULAR EL RALLY TERMINARON CON ENLANCES PORQUE SE LES ACABABAN LOS COMPETIDORES
MARCELO 4X4 SANTA CRUZ BOLIVIA

Posted by MARCELO 4X4X SANTA CRUZ February 20, 09 07:21 PM

E UNO SKIFO

Posted by GIUSEPPE February 22, 09 12:40 PM

What a WONDERFULL PICTURES! good job

Posted by lesro February 23, 09 04:44 PM

Funny to read all your comments ... I hope to do it again next year !
Best regards, Gabriel Bouys

Posted by Gabriel Bouys March 7, 09 04:20 AM

Lets rock buddy!!! Hey watch out your back

Posted by Lenin March 25, 09 06:27 AM

how do u enter the paris darkar rally ?

Posted by carl davies March 30, 09 06:20 AM

the dakar rally is the best! hope to ride in 1 day all, the pics r brill

Posted by deano May 23, 09 03:16 AM

WOW...
Really amazing races

Posted by Prassu May 27, 09 04:00 AM

excelente las fotos!!!! muy buenas!! gracias a las personas que tomaron estas fotos que por cierto son las unica forma de ver que tengo, ya que no tengo como legar hasta ahi!!! una abrazo a los responsable y muchos exitos para la proxima!

Posted by manu July 7, 09 09:22 PM

Excelent pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! More pictures please!!!!
From Argentina, Walter.

Posted by Walter Bloise July 22, 09 04:05 PM

supre

Posted by Anonymous November 7, 09 01:51 AM

Good pics
great rally on the world, is cool.
watch over RALLY RUTA 40
more long alredy 6500 Km.

Posted by Diego December 31, 09 02:45 PM

for the uninformed. most of the rally is driven on existing roads. and everytime the wind blows ,those tracks left in the sand will disappear. the environmental impact is practically nil. alot of it takes place in a desert that hasn't had rain in 600 years. not a huge tourist or hiking draw. the folks from argentina seem to love it. the chilean people are stoked as well. it's some of the world best drivers on some of the worlds worse terrain for 15 days. what's not to like? great pictures.

Posted by randy swink December 31, 09 09:33 PM