June 18, 2008 Permalink

Daily Life in Sadr City, Iraq

North of downtown Baghdad, Iraq lies Sadr City and several other neighboring districts, predominantly shiite and impoverished. A recent lull in fighting between militias, and US and Iraqi armed forces has allowed security forces and aid supplies to return to the area. The truce remains tenuous, as a car bomb detonated yesterday in a crowded market, killing more than 50 Iraqis. Here are some images of daily life in and around Sadr City, Baghdad over the past several weeks. (16 photos total)

The hands of an Iraqi woman reaches for the sides of a truck in an effort to make herself noticed as Iraqi Army 42nd Brigade, 11th Division Soldiers distribute food, water, and medical supplies, in Sadr City, Baghdad, Iraq, on May 8, 2008, during Operation Iraqi Freedom. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Cohen A. Young)

This blog...WOW...Thank you

Posted by Kim June 18, 08 11:56 AM

Man, i stumbled accross your blog with the Cedar Rapids post, and have been hooked since! Super foto's !!!!

Posted by Tom June 18, 08 12:14 PM

There are some powerful contrasts in a number of photos here, and many make one think. Thank you.

Posted by Jonas June 18, 08 12:25 PM

Love this site.. I check it everyday.

Posted by redandjonny June 18, 08 12:26 PM

thanks for the amazing insite

Posted by doan June 18, 08 12:26 PM

Leave Iraq in peace.
We have so much trouble in the world. The images are very shock.
USA have to leave and take care about yours ow problems.

Posted by Jonathan June 18, 08 12:30 PM

these images are just mind blowing.

the one with the children jumping and the people rejoicing about the soccer win, help remind us that life still goes on...the sun also rises.

beautiful.

Posted by Ashley June 18, 08 12:55 PM

believe me, we'd love to leave you and go home to take care of our own problems, jonathan.

Posted by elizabeth June 18, 08 12:58 PM

Actually, these are the first photos in awhile that make me think there's any progress happening there.

Every one of the sets you've published have been amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by dd June 18, 08 01:00 PM

Bellissime foto, ma soprattutto belle quelle mani che dimostrano tutta la disperazione di un popolo che cerca di sopravvivere.

Posted by marilyn June 18, 08 01:04 PM

Good God. Such sobering photographs.

Beautiful, beautiful site. This site, along with CNN.com and BBC.com, is one of my new go-to sources for news. The images are breathtaking.

Thanks so much.

Posted by Chookooloonks June 18, 08 01:17 PM

Bellissimo reportage, e grande blog .
complimenti

Posted by Antonio Scali June 18, 08 01:34 PM

Such revealing images of the difficult role US troops
are having to cope with on a daily basis God willing
they will all return safely !Thanks for a super blog.

Posted by onmysites UK June 18, 08 02:10 PM

Terrific pics, this war is amazingly well covered as far as this sort of thing goes. Compare these shots to images you've seen of WWII or even Vietnam.

datter

Posted by datter June 18, 08 03:14 PM

Thank you so much for such a treasure trove of incredible images.

Posted by Edie Howe June 18, 08 03:30 PM

This website is wonderful ! Pictures are so beautiful. Does anybody know if it's possible to get the EXIF IPTC metadata ? It would be very useful to learn how the photograph took the picture.

Posted by Rv June 18, 08 04:07 PM

"A boy carrying plastic toy weapons approaches a U.S. Soldier": that picture others implies so much about mankind, culture, wars... My heart sank just looking at it.

My first comment here but I'm a dedicated reader since the beginning, and always impressed by these stunning pictures. Fantastic work you're doing here.

Posted by Goulven June 18, 08 05:07 PM

I now stop here first thing every morning. It really keeps my spoiled, privileged butt in check. Thank You so much for bringing such realness to the average american person.

Posted by The Aitch June 18, 08 05:48 PM

Merci pour ce blog, merci pour ces images qui valent mieux que cent mots.
JCMoriaud, France

Posted by jcmoriaud June 18, 08 06:38 PM

Incredible photos.

The child holding guns.. powerful photo.

Posted by Tom June 18, 08 06:44 PM

Best new blog of 2008, hands down - these photos in particular give you a whole new perspective on the war.

Posted by orphu June 18, 08 09:12 PM

So much detail on the US soldiers and so little detail on the civilians that are the focus of this thread.

Posted by Damien June 18, 08 09:23 PM

fantastic work

Posted by Stewart Johnson June 18, 08 10:02 PM

Absolutely wonderful site. Love the images and how they're not the typical images that are showcased. These tell a story, one side/both sides and a little bit inbetween. Love the images chosen, love how they're displayed and love reading the blurbs that tell us the story. Keep up the great work!

Posted by Heather Barr Photography June 18, 08 11:31 PM

I can't echo the other comments loudly enough... thank you for an amazing blog and such incredible photography. I do a *lot* of web surfing but this was by far the most moving thing I've seen online in a long time. These pictures are my connection to the larger world so far away. So visceral! Posts on this blog have become a highlight of my day. :-)

Posted by Parker June 18, 08 11:46 PM

This is such an awesomely good blog. Damn, I wish I'd found it earlier.

Posted by gautam June 19, 08 12:29 AM

Posted by Chauncey June 19, 08 01:06 AM

Thank you so much for putting a face on those having to endure both the joys and hardships of their circumstances, as well as simply day to day living - for Americans (soldiers) and Iraqis alike. We all need to see a bit more humanity - more so than what words alone could possibly ever convey. Great photography. Keep up the good work

Posted by Al Pippin June 19, 08 01:35 AM

Go to www.1ad.army.mil/ to see what U.S. Soldiers do on a daily basis.
You can see 1-6 Soldiers at www.1ad.army.mil/2ndBde/2bcthome.htm

Posted by carl June 19, 08 02:38 AM

Such great photos. My son is in one of them. So moving for me to see him there.

Posted by Davis June 19, 08 03:05 AM

This blog is definitely one of the BEST things I can read now in the Internet. Congratulations for the very high quality of your work !

Posted by Stefano June 19, 08 03:26 AM

I MUST visit this site daily. What magnificent photos.

Posted by Guffey June 19, 08 03:49 AM

Compliments for this incredible image.

Posted by David La Tache photography June 19, 08 03:50 AM

Thank you for so many photos of the 1-6 IN that my husband is attached to. I never know what he is doing so its nice to see something. Your pictures bring joy and pride to my heart.

Thank you.

Posted by Megan June 19, 08 07:53 AM

SO much ................ felling....

Posted by Faizar June 19, 08 08:35 AM

awesome. keep it up

Posted by noah June 19, 08 09:43 AM

Incredible photos. Thank you so much.

Posted by Kim June 19, 08 11:22 AM

Does this look like peace? This is terrible, no one should have to live like this.

It illustrates the massive destruction we have rained down on these people and how their image of the USA is of men with guns. Too sad. We need to leave and do so quickly.

If the Iraqi government can finally get its act together, it can order us to leave as it is currently threatening to do. They can do for us what we cannot get our own government to do: listen to the will of the people.

Posted by Al June 19, 08 02:41 PM

First time commenting but I've seen all of these beautiful sets and I just wanted to say how incredible this blog is. The photos absolutely take my breath away.

Posted by Linda June 19, 08 04:03 PM

You never see girls among the children there.

Posted by David McRaney June 19, 08 04:17 PM

You don't see images like this anywhere else - thankyou! Absolutely amazing.

Posted by NathanaelB June 19, 08 08:11 PM

Best. Photo. Blog. Ever.

Addictive. Awesome.

Posted by Vandrop June 19, 08 09:20 PM

As one of the photographers that has photos on this site, I appreciate the comments both good and bad. Our photos are suppose to invoke a feeling; therefore we are doing our job.
I just came across this site and I'm glad that I did. I will pass it on to one of the other photographers so that he knows about this site as well.
thanks again

Posted by Cohen June 19, 08 09:22 PM

These pictures help me understand what my boyfriend is seeing while there. He assures me that they are trying so hard to bring forth some comfort. I am so proud of him and all of the soldiers that work so very hard to make a difference. I now can see why he is so willing to lose sleep and work so very hard.
God Bless my BF and all of the soldiers willing to support those in need. These Images are amazing and I am glad I found them!

Posted by Angela June 20, 08 02:50 AM

Al... wake UP! "Does this look like peace...??? the massive destruction we've rained down...???" Did you even look at any of these photos, like the ones of Jamilla Market? You think it looks bad now, you should have seen it 4 weeks ago before we bringers of destruction got there and started spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to help local business owners get their shops out of the slums. Honestly, you read all these great comments from viewers amazed at the emerging strength and beauty, and resolute determination these photos convey and somehow you still manage to see a pile of dung in a bed of roses.

Posted by Mike June 20, 08 07:22 AM

This is horrible. Seeing the US invaders in this set of photos is disturbing. All war needs to stop. These people can take care of themselves without the US . The US needs to take care of itself, what goes on in other places of the earth is not our business.

Posted by denmason June 20, 08 11:27 AM

Denmason--I pity anyone who needs help when you're the only one around.

Posted by clazy June 20, 08 02:45 PM

Denmason--Do you understand the term 'globalization'? At this age, anything that goes on in the world affects us. Perhaps you have noticed a 'slight' increase in commodity prices.

Additionally, are you implying that 100's of thousands of people in Myanmar who are not receiving basic aid from their government should be ignored by our government?

In the future, you may want to take a more macro approach to your understanding of global interaction.

Posted by bmcbee June 20, 08 03:09 PM

Superb images, thank you. Makes me think, and I like that.

Posted by Jon Moss June 21, 08 08:02 AM

Çàìå÷àòåëüíûå ôîòî! Æåñòêèå,ñèëüíûå,à ñàìîå ãëàâíîå -ïðàâäèâûå è îòðàæàþùèå ðåàëüíîñòü áåç ïðåêðàñ!Ñïàñèáî àâòîðó ôîòîãðàôèé çà òî,÷òî ïîäåëèëñÿ "ñâîèì " Èðàêîì ñ íàìè!

Posted by Kristina June 21, 08 01:10 PM

I happened on your blog while looking for photos of the flooding in the Midwest. Being from Cedar Rapids, Iowa it was great to see the photos and read the responses from other readers. It doesn’t seem like the flood has gotten much attention nationally. So thanks posting for those very graphic photos.

A picture says a thousand words; you add just enough information to put it into perspective. I have been telling everyone about your blog. Great job!!

Finally, God bless our soldiers. May they get to finish their job!

Posted by Virginia June 21, 08 08:41 PM

Thanks. Your images really do speak louder than words!

Posted by Anonymous June 21, 08 10:22 PM

Beautiful pictures......
As far as the war, I have no doubt that 99% of the soldiers that are there have the best interests of the Iraqi people at heart. They are normal people like you and me, and are not there to inflict suffering (one of my best friends is over there right not, 3rd tour).
However, while the soldiers intentions may be good, lets not fool ourselves about the leaders of this war. We are there to ensure the uninterrupted supply of oil from Iraq's fields, period. The Pentagon couldn't care less about the welfare of Iraqi people. If they did care about injustices so much, we would have invaded Darfur
and any number of other places where worse atrocities occur daily. The only reason we went into Iraq was because they have something that we need.

Posted by Chris June 22, 08 12:58 PM

These images are 100% skewed positive. There's not a drop of blood in any of them, and every person who looks unhappy is "about to receive aid" from either Americans or Iraqis.

One comment above said something like, "This is the first set of pictures that makes me think there's any progress going on over there". Damn right. That is exactly the purpose of this photoset. Unfortunately, they leave out anything resembling actual unhappiness. A bright sunny day in Iraq!

This was interesting -- a mainstream journalist criticism mainstream coverage of Iraq and Afghanistan, and it is perfectly fitting for this post:

Posted by David Crespo June 22, 08 01:25 PM

On the other hand, I do generally think the posts on this blog are fantastic.

Posted by David Crespo June 22, 08 01:27 PM

Thank you for the picture of the soldier on guard duty . Imagine my surprise when I look on this website and there's my handsome son! I am so proud of him. God Bless him and all of our troops, past and present!

Posted by Sherry Nutt June 22, 08 09:25 PM

All of these picture are stunning and thought provoking. The little girl in the hospital, the little boy with the toy guns, the childrens smiling in the streets with the armed soldier in the background, and the seized weapons. It makes me wonder how this generation of Iraqi children will remember their youth and the role the U. S. played in it. Will they thank us or blame us. We need not speculate. Only time will tell.

Like many others, I googled to see some flood pics and found a treasure trove of breathtaking photography and interesting debate. This is a wonderful site. Thanks and keep up the fantastic work.

Posted by Jane Q June 23, 08 01:36 AM

I am glad to see photos from the armed forces photographers here in addition to work by "traditional" photo services. Both groups help to tell the story, and as a photographer, I am in awe of any shooter who risks their life to show the rest of us what is going on.

Posted by notchcode June 23, 08 12:09 PM

Here we go, this is what Iraq is like:

It's graphic. Like Iraq.

Posted by David Crespo June 23, 08 04:23 PM

Thank you for the pictures about the daily life in Iraq they are amazing. Glad to see they are making progress. I'm so thankful for our service men and women. I say a prayer for them everyday for protecting our freedom. I know they need to be in Iraq. I don't want to see another 9-11 Maybe Johnthan does.

Posted by Judy June 24, 08 11:36 AM

For those who have loved ones there, my heart is filled with hope and prayers that they come home safe and soon.

My son, Sgt. Phillip Anderson was killed on March 3, 2008 along with two other soldiers and a civilian interpreter. He was 28. I cannot describe the pain of the loss of my boy. I cannot imagine living the rest of my life without him.

While I do not, nor have ever supported having troops there, I can say that my son believed he was doing something worthwhile and good for the people of Iraq. He was not a politician. He was a soldier. He did what he was told. He did it well. I am proud of him.

May not one more loss be suffered.

Posted by Raven June 24, 08 05:17 PM

Mr. Crespo: I can't imagine the image you linked to is 'everywhere' and all the time in Iraq. Good things and bad things happen there every day.......wait for it......just like everywhere else. If you want to see tragic scenes of death and destruction, you have no farther than look at your nearest freeway. More people probably die from traffic accidents per year than every death in Iraq. Should we outlaw all roads?

I just don't understand sometimes why some people need to focus entirely on the negative. The happy pictures are just as 'real' as the negative ones and all should be displayed to show the complete picture of what's going on. Not just the ones that support your beliefs, attitude, or for the reaction you want people to feel about the war.

Posted by James June 24, 08 08:09 PM

The good, bad, and the ugly. Life doesn't always have beautiful images to capture, but the images of life always capture us in some way.

Very moving webblog.

Posted by Denise June 25, 08 09:44 AM

I second "Aitch"'s comment that your site helps give my privileged self a daily reality check. I regularly fend off all Web distractions, but this is one site I've adopted.

Posted by Anna Embree June 25, 08 02:42 PM

I was so sure the picture of the soldier on guard duty was my son, but he says its not, even tho it looks just like him! But I am grateful for the wonderful pictures you have of our troops and their way of life and what they are going through. As a mom of 2 soldier sons and 2 soldier daughter-in-laws, it is good to see the reality of their lives as they see it, so we know a little of what they went through when they return home safely to us! A special thank you and God Bless you to all the troops and to the military families who also sacrifice a lot while their loved ones are away.

Posted by Sherry June 26, 08 10:18 AM

Ah, sir James, two points. First of all, you said yourself that both sides should be shown to have a complete picture. My point was that the negative photos are never shown anywhere except on blogs written by individuals...and on Al-Jazeera, of course.

Second, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year), the number of vehicle deaths averages about 42,000 per year, and estimates for the number of deaths in Iraq range in the hundreds of thousands over the past five years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War)

Pretty close, no? I also don't understand why death in Iraq is okay as long as it happens here in similar amounts.

Posted by David Crespo June 26, 08 02:19 PM

This is an awesome web page, the pictures are awesome.....

Posted by Susan June 27, 08 05:12 PM

I I took have a son-in-law over in Sadr City. He was recently home foe the birth of his first child. We only hope he returns unscathed from this mess that we have gotten ourselves into. It is not always as it seems. He has been there for six months and when he was home he still looked for IED's when he was in a vehicle here in the states. How many more do we have to lose before this is over? God bless to everyone who has loved ones fighting for "freedom" This web site gives a somewhat idea what our loved ones see everyday.

Posted by Johanna June 28, 08 01:16 PM

Life is simply a series of moments strung together by our consciousness, and these photographs capture a handful of them beautifully. Their relevance can clearly be seen by the emotional comments posted here. It's unfortunate that some people don't appreciate how precious life is, and just how fast it can be taken from you. These photos offer a glimpse at the diversity of the human experience, and that transcends the politics of war. Most people cannot begin to comprehend the fear of a suicide bombing in our local market, or the strength required to get up every day and risk your life to protect complete strangers. Now try to imagine what that mother is feeling as she sits there with her child, or what that soldier is thinking as he stands guard; both of their lives precariously balanced on the edge of a razor blade. Is one life more important than the other?

Posted by Chris June 30, 08 01:21 PM

Congrats!

Your site is wonderful! As a reportage photographer I can truly appreciate someone taking the time to give photos the space to run big, to allow them to breathe and yes, even have impact!

Congrats again!

Posted by Kurt Vinion July 3, 08 07:35 PM

thank you for the large and great quality photos

Posted by Ser July 4, 08 05:47 PM

The great photos of Petros Giannakouris gives us the opportunity to look at a daily life in Baghdad zone with the American soldiers. None of us would like to be in their shoes but those brave American and Iraqi soldiers are doing the impossible. For the Iraqi people, from the oldest (hands of the woman in the 1st photo) to the youngest (baby at mother's hands waiting for food) life is also impossible and intolerable. We can only admire them on their daily struggle to survive in the chaos of Iraq.
To them I dedicate my photo at:

Posted by alex ringer July 5, 08 03:04 AM

Just awesome.

Posted by Frédéric July 5, 08 02:47 PM

why dont we just leave the country....we cause destruction where ever we go!!! we the brits and americans!!!!!!!

Posted by ian July 6, 08 02:36 PM

Thought you might be interested in this site:
Memory of Fire: Images of War and the War of Images

It's a photo festival in UK examing the images of war.

Posted by Tom July 7, 08 12:06 PM

i am in this area every day! it sucks monkey balls! the iraqi's like us for the most part tho.

Posted by mike July 7, 08 12:33 PM

Mr. Crespo - I'm NOT saying the deaths are 'ok'. The point I was trying to make is that the tragedy there isn't unique. The tragedy to the individual who loses someone close is life altering and the wound never completely heals regardless where it's at or why it's happened. Outside of dying of old age (cancer, body breaking down, etc), most death is 'avoidable' (too fat, car accidents, random shootings, trip and fall, so on and so on) and happens everywhere on the planet.

Now, about your Iraq deaths, I understand that the number is disputed quite a bit. If you go to http://www.iraqbodycount.org/, it shows the documented death count by (from the website): "Data is drawn from cross-checked media reports, hospital, morgue, NGO and official figures to produce a credible record of known deaths and incidents."

First notice the number is below 100,000. Now can this be disputed as well? Sure, and I'm sure there are many deaths that haven't been 'documented' but, me personally I'm assuming the true number is somewhere between the two. As good a job as Wikipedia does, I take ALL of it with a bit of salt as it's information comes a lot from outside (and quite possibly biased) sources.

And I disagree that only positive photos are shown outside of blogs. We are constantly hammered by the media (if it bleeds, it leads) about how much death and destruction go on daily over there. It's finally subsided a bit, only because I think since people are tired of it combined with the media trying to sell 'new' news, but for most of the last 5 years it's been a LOT of doom and gloom.

Finally, I like to focus on the positive more than the negative. Again for balance and truth you need to show everything, but it's shouldn't ALL be about the bad.

Posted by James July 8, 08 03:22 PM

For those who think it is safer in the USA, look it up and you will find that we murder about 15000 people a YEAR in the USA. That is about 80,000 US citizens murdered by US citizens since the Iraq war started.

Posted by Gary Adams July 9, 08 05:04 PM

Desde mi pequeño paisito Uruguay, te agradezco por tus imágenes ya que ninguna noticia sobre la guerra me dio tanta información como ahora me aporta tus imágenes.

Eva, from Uruguay

Posted by Eva July 10, 08 10:16 PM

Why is it that people want to blame the US for civilian deaths in Iraq when the predominant cause of civilian deaths is sectarian violence. Sunni killing Shia, Shia killing Sunni, Sunni/Shia killing Kurds, Sunni/Shia killing their own, etc. Doesn't anyone question the logic behind a suicide bombing on a crowded marketplace or a police station? They're killing their own people in an attempt to destabilize the political situation in Iraq, and to provoke Coalition forces.

In one day, Aug. 14, 2007, four coordinated suicide truck bombs killed 796 Yazidi Kurds in Northern Iraq. That's over 25% of the number of people killed on 9/11, and yet there was no international outrage, or a massive show of support from the international community to the Kurds. Would Coalition forces have been deployed to Iraq if they weren't already there? The simple answer is no.

And let's not forget how the Sunni regime of Saddam mass murdered Shia's and Kurds following the first Gulf War, and the mass graves all over Iraq containing the bodies of not just men, but women and children as well. Murder has been the way of power in Iraq for decades, and those who were once victims of the brutality of Saddam are rising up and responding in their own brutal attempt to claim power. Unfortunately, the extremist minority does not reflect the views of the Iraqi people.

Removing Saddam from power should have opened up the opportunity for the people of Iraq, regardless of faith, to choose their path forward into an era of prosperity. The extremists instead choose sectarian violence in an attempt to dominate the will of the people, and despite the fact that they are a very small minority, fear is their most powerful weapon. Our Coalition forces are there to protect the people and combat that fear, and they put their lives on the line every minute of every day, without political agenda or selfish motives. All it would take for them to leave Iraq is for the Iraqi's to stop killing each other.

Posted by Chris July 11, 08 01:18 PM

These photos (and this blog) are amazing. Helps us keeping contact with the rest of the world. Thank you so much, from France. MERCI BEAUCOUP.

Posted by Sousou July 12, 08 06:48 PM

Thank you so very much for sharing these beautiful images. As a wife of a soldier in Iraq, these photos help me understand and accept my husband's role in this war.

Posted by Lindsi July 14, 08 01:50 PM

The one of the Iraqi's in the bar cheering for the soccer team is so heart wrenching. It was hard to look at without tearing up.

Excellent photos. Keep up the good work.

Posted by johnElectric August 4, 08 05:53 PM

WOW! Thanks for the pics! My son is serving his 2nd deployment in Sadr City. He's with the 4ID, Special Troops. He is serving 15 months this time and handles it by getting into a routine and sticking to it. It helps the time pass and keeps him busy. People ask me why I am always looking for news & pics.....My response, I have a son over there. Thanks Jason! We love you..........be safe buddy!

Posted by Susan August 14, 08 09:02 AM

Very nice, I love your site
Can I use this pics to my blog with your website link ?

Posted by SHUAIB September 5, 08 05:54 AM

I too am a soldier's mom. Just came across your site by accident and so glad I did. My son was deployed outside Sadr City for 15 long months, returning this past January. He was an infantryman with the army's 1st Cav, stationed at a small outpost just outside Sadr City. At the time they were not allowed to enter Sadr City, only monitor the area around it. It became extremely frustrating for them because they could not enter the city even if pursuing the enemy, who would then flee to safety within the city. My son is scheduled to return to Iraq this coming January once AGAIN...and sounds like to the same area. I really hope this area is calmer when he returns...especially compared to last year. And I hope this madness ends ASAP and the Iraqi people have hope for the future.

Posted by Sylvia September 8, 08 04:06 AM

Haha I saw these pictures and I know all the places they are showing in each photo I used that same bank for cover from RPG attacks and RPK rounds. I built that wall running through sadr city when our own men that there main job is to build it said they wouldnt do it any more. They made the infantry do it. And for leave IRAQ in peace... yeah ok ... half these people want to figure out a way in to the states to try and blow up a store near you ... people in the states have no idea what we find or what intell we get. People just have no idea.

Posted by Fox September 19, 08 05:39 PM

We can not police the world although we are always called on. If you don't want us to get the job done don't ask. It is hotter than heck here, we have had sand storms that would blow past ike. I have been in Kuwait for 5 yrs. it is by choice. I am so thankful to all our soldiers for sacrificing everything for our country. Keep up the good work. We love you and want everyone home safe and sound.

Posted by Tonya September 19, 08 07:53 PM

To comment on Sylvia's blog. My son, who is with 3rd STB probably took your son's place if he was at COP War Eagle. He'll be returning on February sometime.......my prayers go out to all of them everyday! Take care.

Posted by Susan October 12, 08 12:24 PM

Thanks for the photos.I am leaving for US Army bootcamp in a few days, and soon after I will be over there doing what I can to help.
Thanks for the insight!

Posted by Shane October 20, 08 09:37 AM

a few of the pictures are from guys in my platoon. its quieted down substantially. a few months ago we wernt able to walk around jamyla market becouse we would take sniper fire and small arms fire from the other side of the wall. my unit got there towards the end of the wall build so i know all those pictures. that wall did help keep the bad guys out though a few get through but the place is thriving becouse of what we did.

Posted by MAD Matt October 29, 08 12:01 PM

The photos are great!!! They are so powerfull. It just shows how we dont work nearly as hard as they do. I was so suprised to see kids fighting in the war, with guns, they need as much help as they can get!

Posted by Ella Parker November 17, 08 06:09 PM

i love the phot of the boy carring the 2 guns awswsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Helen Spain December 2, 08 03:12 PM

my brother is in the 2nd picture

Posted by mike horakh December 3, 08 10:27 AM

You've destroyed our country Americans, thank you.

Posted by An Iraqi December 6, 08 01:52 PM

EXCELENTES FOTOS, SOLAMENTE QUE PONEN DE MANIFIESTO LA IDEA DE QUE EL MUNDO GIRA ALREDEDOR DE LA VISION DE LOS GRINGOS, MAGNIFICA LA PRESENCIA DE LOS SOLDADOS QUE DOMINAN EL ENTORNO EXOTICO CON SUS JUGUETES LETALES TECHNO-RAMBO --SABRÁN ELLOS QUE SOLO SON PIEZAS MANIPULADAS POR LOS PEORES INTERESES GRINGOS DE POLITICOS Y TRANSNACIONALES?-, Y TODAVÍA HAY GRINGOS NAIVES QUE PIENSAN QUE ESTAN AYUDANDO A SALVAR EL MUNDO.
USA: AL IGUAL QUE EL IMPERIO ROMANO, TU DECADENCIA ESTÁ PROXIMA, OJALA VIVA PARA VERLO.

Posted by Jorge December 10, 08 03:30 PM

To David Crespo; you gave us one photo to substantiate your claims that Iraq is all blood and gore and that photo is a year old. Tell me, when were you in Iraq in person? And how long did you stay? Have you ever served in the military? And last but not least what was your highest level of education and did you take any history classes that you passed. If so maybe we need to speak with your history professors. I challenge you to read a few books on freedom and what it cost to maintain the freedom of speech that you are taking advantage of in these blogs. Also there are a few TV channels that cover world history and economics that you need to watch for about a month and then come back to this blog. Better yet I think it would be a great thing for you to volunteer some time at the VA helping solders new and old so that you can actually speak on the subject of “what is actually happening in the daily lives of the Iraqi people”.

Posted by Kimberly Brunni December 10, 08 10:06 PM

man this is so cool i was in these exact places 6 months ago its nice to see these pics up cus this is the real life over there that we see when us soldiers go to iraq

Posted by Anonymous December 23, 08 01:59 PM

good job troops keep it up my people and you will c home USA all day babe

Posted by demetrius December 29, 08 10:17 AM

i just got back from my 5 th tour over there. i have thousands of pics to share with the american people and will post them next month.people here should value their freedom and take care of each other to the best of their ability. we are doing good over there but the media runs the war.its unfortunate the people here believe what they see but the enemy has no rules like we do . they dont value life like us and kill there own people.its sad that husseins regieme kept them down for so long. they are now enjoying there freedom because of us

Posted by rusty sills January 20, 09 02:39 PM

1-6 in from 1AD...I was in 4-27Field artillery last rotation in IRAQ, lot of good men from 1-6 inf died last time, glad to see these photos of the guys back there again

Posted by Evan Richardson January 28, 09 01:48 AM

Rusty Sills, I would love to see the pictures you have to share. I admire you and your words here. I have many family memebrs in Iraq and one member set to deploy to Sadr City. The picture here posted with the child holding the toy guns is gut wrenching. God bless our men and women whom have dedicated thier lives into such service. Jade

Posted by Jade Aleazar February 10, 09 04:22 PM

i think the people in iraq shouldn't deserve this but they kinda do becuase they started fighting we're just tryin to help ,but most of the poeple tried to solve it in a nice way but some of the iraqis refused so most of the people should die but what i think personaly nobody should suffer from sombody elses problems

Posted by skender February 15, 09 05:21 PM

Dios los bendiga y los ayude a salir adelante.

Posted by Irma February 17, 09 03:45 PM

i heat my life.

Posted by zuheily February 21, 09 03:10 PM

This pictures here are so sad i don't know who would do such a thing that was going on but now the war is still going us people coming and going seeing friends or family passing away not a good idea about anything i guess!! They just need to stop everything that is going on with the whole idea of a thing that can get in trouble

Posted by Jacqueline March 11, 09 05:13 PM

I love it, we bomb the hell out of them kill hundreds of thousands of them , destroy their country and then post a bunch of pictures depicting us as the saviors. We did this to them. It does however say a lot about the Iraqi people that some of them can still be appreciative of our help, even if the reason the help is needed in the first place is because we destroyed their country. How about finding the missing billions we stole over there, that would feed a lot of Iraqis.

Posted by mike March 26, 09 02:55 AM

I am looking for an address of my brother SSG Craig

Posted by Mary Craig Stewart May 11, 09 04:31 PM

Thank you for the pictures. They help to put into perspective what are soldiers are facing each and every day. As a mother of a soldier serving there it helps to know a little more about the area and how things are in that area. Thanks! Keep up the good work.

Posted by Betty G May 21, 09 02:02 PM

"Öldüreceðiz diyenlere karþý ölmeyeceðiz diye savaþa girebiliriz. Lâkin milletin hayatý tehlikeye düþmedikçe savaþ bir cinayettir." Kemal Atatürk.

"We can only declare war upon those who want to kill us, in order not to die. Unless our peoples' lives are not in danger, war is only murder."

War is not a crime if and only if you are defending your family in your homeland. Otherwise it's nothing but murder.

Posted by Gokhan Demirhan June 12, 09 08:08 AM

I can only smile as i look at the pictures...i was part of the battalion replaced by these soldiers stationed in sadr city. That was the one of the ugliest, stinkiest, disheartening places i have ever been and i look forward to watching it grow into the nation that i heard them speak of so proudly. i hold no ill feelings toward Iraq even though i carry the names of the brothers i lost there with me forever.

Posted by Carlos Vargas July 9, 09 01:04 PM

thanx for all american soldiers whos help good iraqi and i hope come back home soooooon
thanx
im sadeq from baghdad 22yo
sadeqiscool@yahoo.com

Posted by sadeq September 14, 09 05:30 AM

dont the americans have pity on poor iraqis.... these us - uk successfully destroyed the beautful iraq ....

Posted by shahid January 10, 10 05:59 AM

sad

Posted by terrence kinzie April 1, 10 08:53 AM

Çàìåòêà âðîäå ñòàðàÿ óæå, íî ÿ òîëüêî ñåãîäíÿ åå ïðî÷èòàë. Àêòóàëüíî, ÷òî òóò ñêàæåøü. :)

Posted by Be÷íaß April 25, 10 09:09 PM

i am only researching... these pictures are new to me and it is amazing to see the good the armed forces are doing

Posted by jb May 24, 10 12:40 PM

I love my Iraq very much.

Posted by vickyg May 24, 10 10:08 PM

Большое спасибо за то что просветили, выводы соответствующие обязательно сделаем. ;)

Posted by Ðóñëàí June 6, 10 07:26 AM

It is not possible to draw *any* conclusion from this set of photos or any other set of photos for that matter. Was the invasion justified ? Was the way the war was fought justified ? Did US/Brit soldiers commit war crimes ? Did Iraqis commit war crimes ? These and many more questions that people have raised in response to these photos cannot be answered by invoking these images.

I agree with posters that these are very striking powerful and evocative photos, though there is no doubt at all that they are photos from more-or-less embedded photographers. Whatever they show, they are necessarily partial and reflect just a certain side of Iraqi reality.

I found Raven at 61 the most moving and powerful of comments. She reminded me of the poem by Wilfred Owen, the young British soldier killed two days before Armistice Day, 1918 : Dulce et decorum est.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Posted by S. Beam August 22, 10 08:25 AM

A great country, destroyed in few month, my advice is to live with peace with siyas and sunni as we live in india with peace.

Posted by Arif December 14, 10 03:54 AM

OOOO CHIDO LA FOTO CARNALITOSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by ALEX December 25, 10 11:04 PM

I was the platoonsergeant for the soldiers depicted in these pictures. The soldier next to the wall at the beginng was a field medic his name was specialist Christie Horakh, The pair next to the old womanis myself SFC Fred Hampton, and SSG Turner. The big guy blocking the crowd is SSG Rifet Okugic. These soldeirs was the Personal Security Detachment of the 1-6 IN Battalion Command Group. This photo shoot was taken near the market place in Baghdad, Sadr city area. The ''Gold Wall operation took place about three weeks before this and was only one block north from the market. This was the largest market in the region and was a principal means of income through unlawful taxation of Jashamadi and Sadr loyalist.

Posted by Fred Hampton III January 31, 11 08:39 AM