The return of "American Idol" struck a high note with its season debut Jan. 12 - the show, which airs on Fox25, drew a whopping 914,000 total viewers in Boston. Other high ranking shows of note for the week of Jan. 12-17 - NBC's airing of the Golden Globes ranked 9th for the week, attracting 421,000 folks to WHDH. CBS's AFC broadcast of the NY playoffs game Sunday scored 889,000 viewers for WBZ while Saturday's game was caught by 583,000 local viewers.
For Boston's Tuesday night election coverage:
WCVB's 6 p.m. newscast had 191,000 households, followed by WBZ with 124,000; WHDH with 81,000 and Fox25 with 20,000. (measurement in total viewers was not immediately available.)
On cable, Fox News Channel's 6 p.m. airing of "Special Report with Bret Baier" had 106,000 total viewers in Boston, followed by CNN's "Situation Room" with 28,000 and MSNBC's "Ed Show" with 8,000 viewers.
Below is a list of the primetime programs:
1. WFXT-Fox25 American Idol (Tues.) 914,000 total viewers
2. WBZ-CBS AFC (Sunday) 889,000
3. WFXT-Fox25 American Idol (Wed.) 673,000
4. WBZ-CBS AFC Playoffs (Sat.) 583,000
5. WBZ-CBS NCIS 561,000
6. WBZ-CBS 60 Minutes 541,000
7. WBZ-CBS Big Bang Theory 502,000
8. WBZ-CBS Two and A Half Men 491,000
9. WHDH-NBC Golden Globes Awards 421,000
10. WFXT-FOX 24 390,000
11. WBZ-CBS NCIS LA 379,000
12. WBZ-CBS How I Met Your Mother 369,000
13. WBZ-CBS Criminal Minds 363,000
14. WBZ-CBS The Good Wife 311,000
15. WCVB_ABC Grey's Anatomy 305,000
source: The Nielsen Company
compiled by Johnny Diaz, Globe Staff
About Viewer Discretion
ContributorsKatie McLeod is Boston.com's features editor.
Rachel Raczka is a producer for Lifestyle and Arts & Entertainment at Boston.com.
Emily Wright is an Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.
Sarah Rodman is a TV and music critic for the Boston Globe.
Meghan Colloton is a Things to Do and Arts & Entertainment producer at Boston.com.
Michael Brodeur is the assistant arts editor for the Boston Globe, covering pop music, TV, and nightlife.