'SYTYCD:' The final hours

Posted by Joanna Weiss  August 6, 2009 07:43 AM

Due to vacation, I only caught some snippets of last night's show, but I did see Evan's generally charming and totally predictable solo. And it made me wonder: is an Evan win inevitable? Because it seems that no matter what the judges say, the voters adore him.

If Evan does win tonight, what will it mean? That America has a hidden love for Broadway dance? That America loves an underdog? (Because, really, Evan is the dancing embodiment of George from "Grey's Anatomy," right?) That America loves small, adorable, and somewhat sexless guys? Please share your thoughts and your predictions here!

1. Now that Janette is gone I'm not as invested in the top 4. However, while I enjoy Evan's dancing I do not think he deserves to win. Any of the other 3 are deserving but I prefer Jeanine's personality over Brandon and Kayla. Loved the girls' routine by Mia Michaels - not so thrilled with the Nasty Boys. I'm not partial to faux-fighting but I did enjoy the way the guys played the characters. Better to emphasize fun and camaraderie the way that Benji and Travis' nerd hip hop did than to pit them against each other the way the guys' finale dance has done the past few seasons.

Posted by SoIWishICouldDance August 6, 09 08:44 AM
  1. Evan = Taylor Hicks

On talent, Janette should win, but since she's eliminated I'll go with Jeanine. While Brandon is probably a slightly better dancer, Jeanine "brought it" last night (esp. with that solo) and that's what your supposed to do in the finals. Brandon's solo was a sub-par retread of the previous week.

Posted by Jasper August 6, 09 08:59 AM
  1. The last couple dance with Jeanine and Brandon was "am I watching TV or watching a duet from a top dance company" worthy. Did you see how they both held the intensity of their characters, how they held the movements to the full measure of the music? Fluid! No gaps. No way has Evan ever come close to this level of dancing.

About Evan, I feel like the only woman in the "Stepford Wives" movie who hadn't been "altered" yet. I just don't get what everyone sees in him. He is so boring and a one-trick pony.

Posted by gobrandonbutjeanineisok2 August 6, 09 09:20 AM
  1. The more the judges beat up on Evan, the more support he seems to receive. People seem to like the underdog, at least this year and with regard to Am Idol too. That Evan made it to the final 4 is nothing short of a surprise and while I am a fan, have yet to see anything extraordinary after all these weeks; no "WOW" moments as Nigel said. The judging was a bit harsh last night and seemed slanted towards Brandon and Jeanine. After Jeanine's strong solo, Kayla needed to deliver and failed to do so. I was a bit surprised since of the two, Jeanine is the more athletic dancer but Kayla is the elegant, graceful dancer who seems to float across the stage effortlessly, as in a dream. Adam Shankman was a bit obnoxious last night and should have not saved his scathing remarks for the finale dance-off. They all worked too hard to hear tough criticism in the end. Even the choreographers were not spared, if deserved. BOO HISS! Do see Brandon and Jeanine as final 2 standing based on last night’s performances. Does Brandon take it all or does STYTCD hand the crown to a female for only the second time in 5 seasons?

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby August 6, 09 09:21 AM
  1. I think Evan did a really good job last night. But yeah, he doesn't deserve to win on skill. Nigel was right, he's done a good job all around, and a really impressive job in several situations where it seemed he couldn't possibly hold his own, but he really hasn't shown the kind of ability to excel in lots of areas, and his solos tend to be pretty much the same. I did like last night's solo better than others recently, though, somehow. However if he somehow pulls it off, it's because the competition is for America's "favorite" dancer, not "best". I admit I'd be happy to see Brandon win, Jeannine really has done a great job all season, and again I agree with Nigel that last night Kayla showed a bit more character than I've seen, but for all her dancing ability I'm still not a big Kayla fan. I, too, wish Janette were an option, but I'll be content with Brandon or Jeannine, and I'll shrug and give him props if Evan pulls it off.

Posted by Stephen August 6, 09 09:43 AM
  1. You know, I really do adore Evan but he doesn't deserve to win. If he does, good for him though. Up until last night, I was rooting for Janette/Jeanine/Brandon. However, I really think Kayla is the better dancer. She is simply fabulous and I loved watching her last night.

I don't think the choreography is up to par compared to last season's and I was wondering if the choreographers are holding back for the Fall season. Any thoughts on that?

I was a little irked with Nigel for saying either Jeanine or Brandon were going to win. We all know how that will go. The voting audience will think they are safe and cast their votes for one of the other. I almost wonder if that was Nigel's intent. Any thoughts on that?

Posted by causewaychaos August 6, 09 10:11 AM
  1. An Evan win would expose the dark side of democracy, where voters do not select the most qualified, the most talented, etc., but use some other type of metrics, i.e. "least threatening", "best smile". Arg. I agree with the above poster -- once Janette left, a part of me stopped caring. I'd be happy with Anyone But Evan as the winner.

Posted by MW August 6, 09 10:23 AM
  1. Joanna, I think you are almost always spot-on with your SYTYCD comments.
    But, I think that if Evan wins, it means that it is mostly tween girls voting. I am a diehard fan, and I have to admit I've only voted once. Evan is cute, with puppy dog eyes and is completely non-threatening. Brandon (who is also cute) is near perfect in everything he dances. But, half the time he is shirtless. I actually think that puts the really young girls off.
    Kayla is also near perfection. But, Jeanine has the winning personality. So for the women, I think Jeanine will win.
    Joanna, a question: why is the Critic's Corner never up-to-date?.

Posted by IwishIcouldDanceToo! August 6, 09 10:30 AM
  1. I am rooting for Jeanine!

Posted by 1314sm August 6, 09 10:47 AM
  1. The more the judges beat up on Evan, the more support he seems to receive People seem to like the underdog, at least this year and with regard to Am Idol too. That Evan made it to the final 4 is nothing short of a surprise and while I am a fan, have yet to see anything extraordinary after all these weeks; no "WOW" moments as Nigel said. The judging was a bit harsh last night and seemed slanted towards Brandon and Jeanine. After Jeanine's strong solo, Kayla needed to deliver and failed to do so. I was a bit surprised since of the two, Jeanine is the more athletic dancer but Kayla is the elegant, graceful dancer who seems to float across the stage effortlessly, as in a dream. Adam Shankman was a bit obnoxious last night and should have not saved his scathing remarks for the finale dance-off. They all worked too hard to hear tough criticism in the end. Even the choreographers were not spared, if deserved. BOO HISS! Do see Brandon and Jeanine as final 2 standing based on last night’s performances. Does Brandon take it all or does STYTCD hand the crown to a female for only the second time in 5 seasons?

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby August 6, 09 12:04 PM
  1. HA! He is the dancing embodiment of George! Evan, Kayla and Brandon all received SO MUCH audition and Vegas coverage that it was a miracle Jeanine made it into the top four. From the beginning I voted fro Ade and Melissa because neither of them were featured in the auditions and Ade was AWESOME.

I've been pulling for Jeannine sine week 3 and I hope she ATLEAST beats out Kayla. I dont think Brandon or Kayla are America's Favorite Dancer....but unfortunately it appears Jeannine is not either.

Posted by Visual Fiction August 6, 09 12:33 PM
  1. My predictions are what Nigel picked...Jeanine or Brandon, but you do make a good point about Evan...we will see what happens tonight! ...not sure if I liked the Kodak Theatre event...the little dancers seemed to get lost on the big stage. Altough popularity of the show has grown, so I guess it was the next step to WOW the crowd.

Posted by foxboro11610 August 6, 09 12:54 PM
  1. Evan always looks like a guy whose never seen a woman's body before. That golly-gee demeanor has gotten really old. I'll be very disappointed if he wins. I'm hoping for Brandon or Jeanine. Kayla can dance very well but her personality is that of a dishrag.

Posted by elin August 6, 09 01:23 PM
  1. In the words of Cat D, "Let's hear it for her, it's Jeanine!" I hope she wins. Brandon is all power. Jeanine has it all. Evan is the Kris Allen of SYTYCD and may win on personality and gee-whiz attitude. Kayla is great, but the spotlight favors others with more flare.

Posted by dancemaster August 6, 09 01:34 PM
  1. Evan is outclassed. Mr. Friend Zone 2009 might have a theater full of fans, but I can't see America voting to declare him winner over Brandon, Kayla and Jeanine. I like to think that most of those who called in last night actually watched the dancing, and weren't just entranced by Broadway's answer to Droopy Dawg. Evan can not keep up with the rest of the dancers.

Posted by stanley August 6, 09 01:56 PM