'Idol:' Paula is out?!!

Posted by Joanna Weiss  August 5, 2009 07:09 AM

paulaglasses.jpg

This just in: Paula Abdul twittered late last night that she was leaving "American Idol." After all of the contract-negotiation posturing, this development seems to be real.

I know the Paula haters will be cheering this move, but I think it's bad, not just for her, but for the show. Yes, Paula was often incoherent (that was part of her charm) and her flirtation with Simon was starting to get out of control. But she added both a note of comedy to a show that can take itself too seriously, and a strain of sweetness to an endeavor that has the potential to be cruel. She even seemed smart - or smarter - from time to time last season, thanks to the addition of Kara DioGuardi, though the four-judge format was clearly a mistake. Will Kara - who, it seems, will be returning - take Paula's place as a cheerer-on of hardworking contestants? Perhaps now, with a specific role to fill, the lackluster judge will improve. Still, I'll miss the chemistry and the zaniness and the crazy wardrobe choices that Paula brought to the panel. And I'll bet, by the end of the season, that the doubters will, too.

And what's next for Paula? Another godawful reality show? More mediocre music? Or will she fade into the background once again? Will you miss her as much as I will?

1. I won't be watching Idol this season, not because Paula is leaving but because Kara will be there. I agree that Paula, though sometimes annoying, brought something special to the show. Kara, on the other hand, is just plain obnoxious.

Posted by Glo August 5, 09 08:01 AM
  1. Idol will not be the same without Paula. She was there since the beginning. There will be a noticeable absense in the next season. There was such chemistry among all of the three original judges. Personally I feel like Kara is just another Randy at best. She doesn't add anything new to the show. I don't know if I'll watch it anymore.

Posted by Kerri August 5, 09 08:34 AM
  1. Somehow in her spaciness, Paula brought the show down to earth. She'll be missed (although her interactions with Simon won't be).

Posted by two sheds August 5, 09 08:42 AM
  1. I cannot stand Kara, no one knows who she is...

Honestly, the four of them (Simon, Randy, Paula and Ryan) are kind of like the Seinfeld cast...you need them all.

Think about replacing Elaine with (insert name here)

It's just not right.

Posted by josh August 5, 09 08:54 AM
  1. Beginning of the end for the show. Ratings were already sliding, this should only bring them down further. Maybe Paula is smarter than all and realizes this show has runs its course. Or maybe a ploy to the get the additional money she wants.

Kara offered nothing to the show last year and isn't a suitable replacement. My guess is if Paula really doesn't return, there will be a fourth judge.

Posted by Harry2020 August 5, 09 09:17 AM
  1. i will miss Paula. She added heart, sympathy and kindness to the show. She made Simon easier to take. I think Kara just made Paula look better. Paula, though at times a little off, is a smart girl. She knows music, but she also understands human nature. Too bad. Show won't be the same. I think she's foolish to do this over money.

Posted by Taurus51 August 5, 09 09:22 AM
  1. Kara doesn't bring anything positive to the show. It almost seems that she is competing with the contestants.

Posted by Katrina August 5, 09 09:25 AM
  1. Jeez, thank God! Let's hope this is final, and it won't be reversed in a couple of days. (Love the COurtney Love idea -- I'd actually start watching "Idol".) Paula was borderline unstable, which caused many viewers to rally 'round her apparent fragility. The show made her a bigger star than she had ever been. But her antics, and to a certain extent, those of Randy and Simon, have set the tone for the kinds of "judges" we now have on the myriad of "talent" shows on American TV. "Judges" are pretty much all now required to act up as crazily as possible (hello, Mary Murphy and Bruno), and come up with phony "feuds" to enhance a show's ratings. These judge interactions have become shows within the shows, often detracting from the poor "contestants". Most of these "talent" shows are extremely dismal, but, yeah, I have to grudgingly admit, people seem to like them. I can only hope that we will look back and view this Paula expulsion as the first round in the gradual fading of these kinds of shows from the TV landscape.

Posted by redglare2 August 5, 09 09:26 AM
  1. Paula Abdul rode a marginal talent a long way. good for her but she has started to believe her own hype. so over paid

Posted by Joey August 5, 09 09:28 AM
  1. The show in terms of time constraints cannot support 4 judges so I am glad that someone specifically Paula is gone. Her incoherence had gotten old, and the flirting was just painful, what was once cute had gotten stale and uncomfortable and sometimes down right disrespectful to the contestants. I felt that Kara was limited in what she could offer because of Paula and even the time constraints. There were times that Kara did offer the same cheer leading as well as criticize. Kara's name may not have been known but she has the vocal skill (not to mention being able to play piano and guitar) to be a credible judge. Both Randy and Simon bring something to the table with their experience either finding talent, playing in a band, and producing, but what did Paula bring? Yes Paula had a few albums but her voice is not all that great and if you put Paula and Kara on AI together Paula would have been sent packing by Simon. I expect that Kara will grow and be able to be a better judge.

Posted by WES August 5, 09 10:19 AM
  1. .......and she was just starting to make sense. Be on the look out for Ms. Abdul on SYTYCD. As for Kara returning all I can say is "la la la la la I CAN'T HEAR YOU"!!!!!

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby August 5, 09 11:01 AM
  1. Maybe she'll go to So You Think You Can Dance.

Posted by becaboo August 5, 09 11:04 AM
  1. They are all extremely overpaid and unfortunately we are all to blame for their excesses. This is not just an issue relegated to the USA but internationally as well. They flash their abundance in our face even though people are suffering from the economic downturn and redundancy. The public buys into it and treat them like Greek and Roman Gods. Instead of investing our hard earned savings and time into them we need to invest in ourselves. Who knows, society may benefit if we do...

Posted by Donald from Helsinki August 5, 09 11:04 AM

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby August 5, 09 11:07 AM
  1. I've had more than enough of Paula's antics, pointless comments and unstable behavior. Good riddance!

Posted by IdolFan August 5, 09 11:15 AM
  1. who cares - she's a washed up D-bag anyway.

Posted by hoorrahh, Paula's gone August 5, 09 11:16 AM
  1. Caught myself singing along in my head to "Escapade" while shopping in TJMaxx the other day. I think we all could use a little Paula now and then, but I'm glad the producers didn't give in to her crazy salary demands and I don't even watch that show.

Posted by pinkkittie18 August 5, 09 11:17 AM
  1. Kara topless. Now there's what will create a buzz

Posted by walter August 5, 09 11:41 AM

Posted by Donald from Helsinki August 5, 09 11:54 AM
  1. I laugh at all you idiots watching this crap. This show claims to make stars, yet the real stars can't hold a candle (talent wise) to the competitors here. Jewel? Paula? Tell me which of these would have made the 1st cut? NOT ONE. But, like a bunch of sheep, you watch and hang on every word they say. Pathetic losers.

Posted by Pradeep August 5, 09 12:21 PM
  1. great!!

imo, the trio of prior years was getting terribly stale and needed a change.

the foursome of last year was 1 too many - and the elementary school flirtation of Simon and Paula made me gag.

i personally hope that the shakeup will cause the judges to behave more like judges offering useful and insightful commentary to the contestants.

i would wish for the judging to be more like on So You Think You Can Dance where they rotate judges and the judges actually strive to say something meaningful - and nobody tries to be the meanest judge around.

and while i'm wishing, i would wish for simon to be more constructive and less mean. i see no value being delivered by him being a seen-it-all-before a**hole all the time. the show is supposed to be fun, isn't it? and he isn't fun - even if he is often right.

Posted by jlk August 5, 09 12:25 PM
  1. Paula will be missed!!!! That Kara lady is sooo boring and just repeats what Randy says

Posted by IdolFan August 5, 09 12:38 PM
  1. so what happens when they show the audition shows with her in them? she will be missed...

Posted by akraz August 5, 09 01:13 PM

Posted by akraz August 5, 09 01:21 PM
  1. I thought that Paula really pulled it together last season. I always thought that bringing Kara on was just a ploy to force Paula in to rehab. (It worked.) This past season, I don't remember any wacko Paula moments. She also seemed to do the most homework in knowing which songs the contestants sang in tryouts and hollywood week. The 4 judge panel didn't work with some of the 2-2 splits on whether to save a contestant.

Posted by justthinking23 August 5, 09 01:22 PM
  1. I don't know...It just won't be the same. I really didn't care for Kara!
    Deanna

Posted by Diane Interbartolo August 5, 09 01:33 PM
  1. Most overrated singer of all time. Not sure she could even advance on that show if she was trying to showcase herself and we didn`t know who she was.

Posted by Steve August 5, 09 01:42 PM
  1. Paula's going nowhere. The show knows that Kara can't carry Abdul's eyeliner. How do you make an omelette with Cheez Wiz when you have Feta and olives ready to go?

Posted by Kara is Milk Toast August 5, 09 01:51 PM
  1. I mute the TV each time Paula speaks. Her incoherent gibberish always made her seem like a casting mistake. She will be missed much less than you think.

Posted by Noah August 5, 09 02:38 PM
  1. I haven't really been tuned into idol over the past several years. I like the audition show that has all the really awful contestants. That's really funny. And then I tune in when it's down to the final 3-4 so I don't have to listen to all that prattle the judges give out. I think letting Paula go is a mistake. She was a train wreck but she was the judge who really connected with the contestants and you really need that, otherwise, it just becomes a tedious show where they put these kids through so many paces over and over. And she was the antidote to Simon's nastiness, which is really needed.
    Also, why not give her a few million more? After all, the deal that Seacrest got to pompously intone "THIS is American Idol". I mean really, couldn't anyone do that? And they pay him Millions? Seems unfair. And what is with paying Simon so much more? I have watched the show and he doesn't always see the winner either. So why is he worth so much more? Do short sleeve black t-shirts cost that much?

Posted by ShellyB August 5, 09 02:59 PM
  1. I fast forward to Simon. He's blunt, to the point, and coherent. The contestants need to know to succeed they need to work harder than they ever have before, push boundaries they have never pushed before and be better than the thousands of others who would take their place in half of a heartbeat, given the chance.

Being on AI is a shortcut to get noticed that bypasses sleazy agents, dive bars, crappy venues, drunk idiots, being the opening act no one wants to hear and the rest of the bottom of the music business. Encouragement of people who aren't giving it their all shouldn't be necessary, especially if they can't comprehend that their career is essentially being handed to them on a silver platter.

Posted by K August 5, 09 03:06 PM
  1. Paula is a very talented choreographer and dancer. Her "singing" is a joke. She should go judge "So You Think You Can Dance". Kara on the other hand is a talented song writer and damn good singer. Since Idol is, as Simon always emphasizes, a singing contest, who is the better judge? Kara hands down.

Posted by senorita August 5, 09 03:13 PM
  1. Yo Dawg, check it out. Randy's the next to go. Just wait.

The judges on So You Think You Can Dance make the AI judges look like hacks. Talk about lucking into a career. Randy and Paula are both inarticulate and have milked this gig far too long. Welcome Kara, keep Simon. It can't be that difficult to find a third person with music biz street cred and an interesting personality.

Posted by john August 5, 09 03:31 PM
  1. Paula is/was a fabulous dancer and choreographer. She's a terrible singer. Idol is a singing contest as Simon always says. Kara is a talented songwriter, excellent singer and a great sport, a reference to her duet with "Bikini Girl". Buh-bye Paula. We don't need you "nurturing" wannabes.

Posted by ramona126 August 5, 09 05:10 PM
  1. i think we should start looking at the powers that be. they couldn't fire her so they gave her a contract they knew she wouldn't except. take at kara's and randys contract. and the mention of simon's childish way it came to paula. i think all her fans ought to try to squeese the powers that be into an exceptable contract liken to randys contract. i've seen squeese OUTS before and this is just a more public one.
    her behavior was at times a little out there but simons is always out there as far as the contestants are concerned.

Posted by clover August 5, 09 06:01 PM
  1. Not a big fan of Kara. Like Simon would say, "she's forgetable." Paula, kind of grounded Simon & Randy. I do believe Kara has accomplished alot on her own, but she doesn't lend anything to Idol. Blah..Blah..Blah. Randy's got the "Dawg" thing going and Kara has tried to be like him. That is not what is needed. We'll see what the future of Idol holds without Paula. There is no need for nastiness from people. She deserves some happiness & appreciation in her life...just like we all do. You go Paula, in whatever your future holds!!

Posted by The first amendment August 5, 09 06:31 PM
  1. It is so ridiculous that people like Ryan Seacreast and others get these $45 million dollar deals. Everything is so out of whack in this country. Idol is so yesterday, as is America and Britain's got talent. If someone is talented, they'll make it. Why torture us with these stupid programs. When will firefighters, police, teachers, and those working in the public sector get paid appropriately for their labors. Oh, sports stars are also digusting and greedy. Come on, let's stop supporting this nonsense!

Posted by Tired of Overpayment of Greedy People August 6, 09 07:32 AM