'So You Think You Can Dance' -- again!

Posted by Joanna Weiss  May 18, 2009 01:53 PM

so_you_think_you_can_dance.jpg

Great news for fans of "So You Think You Can Dance" -- as long as you don't mind a little overkill. Per Variety, the Fox summer series, which launches its new season on Thursday, will also be on Fox's fall schedule, with a Tuesday dance-off and a Wednesday results show.

I can't say enough about this show -- though I'll try to say some in Thursday's Globe. It features and respects cutting-edge choreography, it has an incredibly likable host in Cat Deely, and the talent makes "Dancing With the Stars" look like an eighth grade dance recital. (My one complaint: Mary. Please stop yelling!) Back me up, "SYTYCD"-lovers: Isn't this the best (and I do mean best) reality contest on TV?

1. I've already set my reminder (don't have a DVR, so I use Comcast's "remind" feature) for Thursday night. This is my absolute favorite show. I love Cat and her entire wardrobe - and how much would I give for her legs!! I love Mia Michaels, Shane Sparks, and the rest of the choreographers. So psyched that I'll get to see this program in the summer and fall this year :) YAY!!!

Posted by sbatio May 18, 09 02:04 PM
  1. No, seriously, best reality show ever. It's such a summer treat though, fall too? I'm not convinced. It was a great summer morsel to deal with the lacking programming -- like the perfect glass of sangria on a scorching summer patio. But cram into it an already overstuffed fall? It may lose some zing.

Posted by Bobby May 18, 09 06:36 PM
  1. I'm with ya. This is my favorite reality show. The drama comes from struggle and accomplishment rather than contrived personal conflicts. I'm not a dancer and never have been, but I've been moved to tears by some of these performances.

Posted by Kath May 18, 09 07:25 PM
  1. LOVE this show. I've been a fan of Idol since the beginning, but this one is so much better. The talent they have every year is amazing, the music they use is great, the format is great, and Cat is the best host out there.

Nigel Lythgoe is on Twitter and posts about the show alot - @dizzyfeet. He says for the first show the choreographers are Mia Michaels, Shane Sparks (who is back this season!), and Wade Robson (also back this season!). AWESOME.

Posted by Elly May 18, 09 11:48 PM
  1. So glad that we got you hooked last year JoJo. It is a great show and I think better than Idol, though, I enjoy Idol too. Do you know if we are going to have to go through the ridiculous silly auditions like Idol or do they cut some of that? I am seeming to recall that they cut some of that, which would be nice. Not sure about the fall addition - I agree with many of the posters.

On another note, your boy Adam did great tonight. But I feel Kris did really well too. Either way, they are both talented and seem like really nice guys. Looking forward to your blog.

Posted by Jason is a Riot May 19, 09 09:20 PM
  1. The talent on this show is amazing! When I watch DWTS, it makes me want to laugh. I keep telling DWTS fans to check it out, but they won't listen!

Posted by RT May 20, 09 04:23 PM