Yes, more thoughts on Susan Boyle

Posted by Joanna Weiss  April 20, 2009 11:03 AM

Susan%20Boyle.jpg

At the risk of turning this blog into a Susan Boyle-a-thon, a few more thoughts on the woman who is quite possibly, at this moment, the biggest thing in the world.

First off, if you haven't yet, check out my colleague Michael Paulson's blog post on the theological reaction to Boyle's performance. (I especially love the thoughts from the Rev. James Martin, a Jesuit priest: "The way we see Susan Boyle is very nearly the way God sees us: worthwhile, special, talented, unique, beautiful.")

I was discussing the Boyle phenomenon this morning with MIT professor Henry Jenkins, an expert on pop culture and fandom and the author of "Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide." He says the reaction might have been smaller without Twitter, a new way of spreading news more quickly than ever to communities with shared interest. (I personally first heard about her from a poster on our weekly "American Idol" chat.) And he thinks the YouTube video of Boyle's "Britain's Got Talent" audition -- 100 million views and counting -- wouldn't have the same weight on this side of the pond if we didn't already know Simon Cowell. Part of the thrill, he contends, is watching Cowell's reaction shift from trademark sneer to deep appreciation. He also notes that "Britain's Got Talent" has a tradition of finding true underdog talents; before Boyle, after all, there was Paul Potts. "You have a feeling that that show has a 'genre expectation' of finding that story," Jenkins told me. Boyle worked because "she was just so quirky and so good."

His thoughts tied into something I've been mulling for a couple of days now: the question of whether Boyle's skyrocketing success will have any effect on "Idol" and its many imitators. Over here, to put it in Jenkins' terms, the "genre expectation" of the early episodes is failure. (Truthfully, "Britain's Got Talent" probably shows a lot of that, too, which is why Simon and his fellow judges were so sneering.) So will the overwhelming reaction to Boyle -- this universal thrill about the fact that she sang so well -- make the producers rethink their formula? Will they now start looking for diamonds in the rough, as opposed to delusional crazy people? Will Susan Boyle kill cynicism? Will it work?

1. Yes, Susan Boyle is the most powerful thing. Most people got to be so obnoxious or spend the worlds forune to make the impact she's made to all of us.

She's a curse to the envious, but an angel and a very beautiful one for most of us who shares her dreams and humility!

Posted by Leon April 20, 09 01:38 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is the absolute average joe just like us. That is why we like her. Susan Boyle has a voice that gives me goosebumps, she is, no doubt, awesome. But I think most of us are sick of the Britney Spears, Jessica Simpsons, beautiful women with not a lot of talent but the looks to get them through. With the music videos nowadays, starring role goes to the Britneys not the Susans. But it really should be the talent and not the looks that count. So... go Susan, you are one of us and we are loving seeing the average joe get some recognition.

Posted by Sandi Nikolasevic April 20, 09 01:38 PM
  1. It is interesting that in Britain anyone can audition, which means people like Susan and Paul can be discovered, while here we have American Idol which seems to have a very narrow focus and presupposes that talent comes in only certain packaging. In addition to Paul and Susan, there is Charlie Green, Connie Talbot and Andrew Johnston. And Flawless...
    I have long noticed that British actors/actresses look more like real people, while in the US they are all "beautiful people".
    And I think Susan Boyle is far from ugly. What is striking about her face and also Paul's when he first auditioned is the love shining out.

Posted by K. A. Knecht April 20, 09 01:45 PM
  1. Next to Jesus himself, the only person in the world I would travel to meet would be Susan Boyle.
    She's a beautiful, witty, naturally gifted woman who is an inspiration to us all.
    Thank you Susan for being who you are, for sharing your gift and for never giving up!

Posted by Shelia Oberkircher April 20, 09 01:51 PM
  1. So simply stated...Susan Boyle and the Susan Boyle experience will stop people in their tracts...but only for a few minutes...they will take pause regarding the cynicism...but it will never curtail it. Mostly because it is so ingrained in most every human brain....we are creatures that know some change is always good if not very necessary. But we, for the most part, are not willing to do the work it requires to accomplish that.

Emily

Posted by Emily April 20, 09 01:53 PM
  1. Springfield, VA

This is not a coincidence, this was supposed to happen at this time. I believe it is her journey. How fortunate for us to have been able to experience this beautiful voice. Susan thank you for taking that step on your mother's behalf to share your lovely God given talent

Posted by Gena April 20, 09 01:55 PM
  1. Yes indeed! Susan is marvellous. After a really long time there are 2 individuals who came out like fairy tales come true.... one is Barack Obama and the second is Susan Boyle ....I love to watch her and every time I see the audition clips, I get goose-bumps...

Posted by SKdavid April 20, 09 01:56 PM
  1. I hope it works. The remarkable audiene and host reactions echo the thoughts of people everywhere. She is a phenominal talent and what a marvel we live in an age where it is still possible to find such jewels and find them so quickly. Check your own cynicism at the door. May God bless her for the example she is of te good in everyone.

Posted by Bob G. April 20, 09 01:58 PM
  1. Boyle is already on her 16th minute of her allotted 15 minutes of fame. IMO, she was good not great and if she wasn't so hard on the eyes her performance would have been critiqued more closely. I predict by tomorrow she'll be yesterday's news.

Posted by Jason R April 20, 09 02:02 PM
  1. Could Susan Boyle and Paul Potts record a CD together... Britain's got talent, but these two wonderfl singers have normal everyday authentic behaviors and they both seem to be unwilliing to become pupets of the Hollywood crazies.
    mcdixon

Posted by maria dixon April 20, 09 02:12 PM
  1. I LOVE SUSAN BOYLE!!!!!!

Posted by j April 20, 09 02:16 PM
  1. I think I'm about the only person who just doesn't get what all the fuss is about. I think, more than anything, people are "thrilled" by her more as a means to assuage their own guilt for their initial reactions to her apperance. Most people simply can't imagine that anyone who looks like her can offer what she does. It's similar to being surprised to find that an African-American can actually be "articulate" or saying Special Olympics contests "can do anything!" Viewers were ready to laugh in her face (which some in the audience actually did) with no sense or remorse or guilt, but then the joke was on them and it suddenly wasn't nearly so funny. As far as long term impacts, if anyone believes that Ms. Boyle will put an end to the American Idle blooper reel show or get them to lift the age limits on contestants, then people are more gullible than I had thought. Here's hoping she's at least able to enjoy the remaining 6 or 7 minutes of her fame.

Posted by btmitch April 20, 09 02:17 PM
  1. I'm very familiar with how audiences hear with their eyes. I've been a professional piano bar entertainer in the U.S. and in Europe for decades, and I'm, for all intents and purposes, over the hill. At fifty seven, my dream has faded into the reality of my life. Also, I've worked with many brilliant singers, male and female, who didn't quite have the look which so often is a requirement for popularity. They do call it "show business" for a reason. But alas this ain't about me, or those other - never has beens - and yet it is. We are genuinely inspired by Susan, even more than that 'idol' contestant who was blind, (Scott) who sounded like Greg Brady. Indeed his story is inspirational, but really there is no comparison, because, My God, Susan can sing.

Posted by Frank Siciliano April 20, 09 02:17 PM
  1. I agree with Jason R on this one. Boyle really isn't even that talented a singer. She's just the "thing to talk about" right now. But she was able to cause everyone to give her a standing ovation all throughout the song. That has to count for something, right? Is that enough to propel a future career for her?

Posted by Fondu G. April 20, 09 02:18 PM
  1. I'm thinking now that Britain's Got Talent is a lot more contrived than we thought. Check out the latest "surprise"... the 12-year old who starts out with an Amy Winehouse cover that really didn't match him well...Simon stops him in the middle and asks him to sing something else. Just by chance he has a Michael Jackson song in the tape deck that he nails perfectly. A bit too much happenstance for me. Those close-ups of the judges' eyes bursting wide at just the right note are seeming too choreographed to me.

Posted by Bob Earley April 20, 09 02:19 PM
  1. I don't understand why we (for example #3 comment here) keep comparing what happens on "Britain's Got Talent" to "American Idol." These are different kinds of shows -- the proper counterpart of "BGT" is actually "America's Got Talent." Yes, AI has its own kind of rules that are different from BGT and showcases a different kind of talent (agewise, etc). For that matter, it also has different rules from Bret Michaels Rock of Love Bus or Wheel of Fortune. They are DIFFERENT shows.

Maybe the problem here is that no one probably watches "America's Got Talent" so it's not a reference point for us.

I think that's an insightful comment about Simon Cowell -- part of what makes the story compelling is that we've been conditioned to think that if it makes Simon smile, then it must be good.

Posted by susan April 20, 09 02:19 PM
  1. I didn't know Simon Cowell (never seen him on TV before) and I think I am not alone. So I disagree with the MIT professor. Cowell and other, in Jury and public are sneering to this lady.
    ...and the watcher we are too, because, and it is were the few first minute (the backstage mn) are important, it present a surreal caricature of old bigot (~50years old virgin, with a grand ma look, living alone with her cat, and spending time at church), we are expecting to be made fun of, not to be admired...

refrence

Posted by Fantine April 20, 09 02:19 PM
  1. I have become obsessed with Susan Boyle. What an unbelievable woman she is and her voice still makes me cry. She is an absolute treasure and I just hope and pray that she stays who she is and doesn't let them make her over. With the state of the world as it is now, what an uplifting story. Watching her on Britain's Got Talent, I could not believe how mean spirited the audience and judges were until she opened her mouth and sang. She received an almost immediate standing ovation from both (except Simon Cowell of course).
    God bless you Susan. You make my day every day and I can't wait to see you again.

Posted by Delphine Hayes April 20, 09 02:22 PM
  1. Susan Boyle, I have watched her talent video more than 10 times and still it brings tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my body. If she had a CD out at this moment I would go and buy it immediately. Looks are only in the eye of the beholder, and Susan is true beauty. She certainly will not be yesterday's news as posted by Jason R, but he is intitled to his cynical views.

Posted by Lydia Clark, British Columbia, Canada April 20, 09 02:23 PM
  1. My son made a beautiful analogy to the Biblical story of Ruth. Both women sacrificed themselves for family and were the epitome of God's love and kindness. In the Ruth story it is mentioned how her words were beautiful ,as is Susan's singing.In this time of the superficial and cynical, Susan ,as Ruth, was sent to remind us of God's mercy and how we must accept everyone for their inner beauty. The analogy becomes even more compelling when you look at the Date
    of this performance. The Day before Easter between the Passover and the Pentecost.

Posted by Joy Richards April 20, 09 02:23 PM
  1. SHE IS A SPIRIT FILLED PERSON,GOD GIVEN TALENT JUST TELLING US NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE ANY HUMAN BEING.I CAN THINK OF HER ONLY WITH TEARS.GOD BLESS HER .

Posted by REV.SEBASTIAN MUNDACKAL April 20, 09 02:24 PM
  1. Also in that instance, song choice is key.
    The song is appealing but not popular, and more the listener doesn't have a "definitive" refrence, like e.g Celine Dion for the rendering of "My heart will go on",
    So, when you read countless comment, people can't compare, classified, and judge Boyle on an absolute scale.
    Song lyrics, matching perfecting well with the Suzanne Boyle life add to the story, but I guess it is a less important criteria, what make the Suzanne Boyle moment shared by non english speaking country (well for your information, youtube is blocked in China, soour chinese friend can't share the emotion, but other from Hong Kong to Tokyo does ;)

Posted by Fantine April 20, 09 02:27 PM
  1. Susan Boyle will be Woman Of The Year for Times Magazine.

Posted by Mary Louise April 20, 09 02:27 PM
  1. Susan, thank you for coming into my life when I am feeling the saddest. You bring a job to my heart. It is my wish that someday I will be able to have the honor of being in the audience of one of your sell-out concerts. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted by imunagorri1 April 20, 09 02:28 PM
  1. God Bless You Susan!!!!! She is absolutely amazing. Such a magical and Saintly voice...

Posted by Wael J April 20, 09 02:28 PM
  1. Susan Boyle has the voice of an "ANGEL". I get goose bumps every time I hear her sing ! Such a lovely person. And such an inspiration to mankind.
    This is what I call beauty because with Susan it radiates right from the heart.
    We love you Susan!

Posted by Lucille April 20, 09 02:29 PM
  1. This has to be the best thing to happen in a long time. It was fantastic the way she shut up the biggest moron ever in Simon, the other two judges at least had class to apologize to her. The audience had no where to hide either. I hope she makes it real big she deserves it.

rrrsm53

Posted by rrsm53 April 20, 09 02:29 PM
  1. There's no doubt Boyle can sing that ONE song. But what else can she do?

I think it's horrible how the judges are committed to perpetuating Boyle as a kind of freak show. The woman judge says Boyle can't have a makeover because it's part of her charm or whatever. Boyle's charm should be in her talent, not the fact that she's a frumpy virgin. Why shouldn't she get a makeover? I think they are exploiting her.

I agree, I thought it was a total set up. Are we to believe that the judges had no idea what was coming?

Posted by jenny April 20, 09 02:31 PM
  1. Singlehandedly, SB put her hand up and the world's negative responses collided as they screeched to an unforeseen halt; and for a time period this human curse was bewildered and confused..... but sadly, it will return. God bless SB for giving us that time.

Posted by Walt Landers April 20, 09 02:32 PM
  1. I have yet to hear this woman sing. But I really don't want to because she's now become an overexposed, overhyped victim of the mass media. "An ugly woman can sing! Oh, my goodness!" (And from what I hear she sings god-awful Andrew Lloyd Weber tunes. Yeesh.)

Guess what? There are a lot of talented people in the world who aren't young, slender, classically beautiful or successful. I find that having everyone drool over her is patronizing, to say the least.

Posted by barb April 20, 09 02:36 PM
  1. I have watched that video a hundred times and still can't get enough of it. This very ordinary woman is such a breath of fresh air. I can't think of anyone who has held my attention so long and so far with only one or two songs.I just can't wait for her first professional recording.I predict record breaking record sales.

Posted by james p April 20, 09 02:37 PM
  1. By the way,

watcher is undoubtedly sneering at the lady at the first time it view the video for reason I say in comment 17, but feel relieved, by the fact public and jury (with a bit of acting) share his initial feeling.
    So he is relieved of its guiltiness, and because noone is recording his reaction (at the difference of the poor girls, camera make close-up on), watcher, he feel rather good, and more authorized to comment on the later performance.

Posted by Fantine April 20, 09 02:38 PM
  1. she is by far all the above

Posted by Geraldine April 20, 09 02:38 PM
  1. She who took care of her mother til she passed on was mocked by neighborhood bloks , e.g. knocking on her door and running away, UP TO THE DAY of the airing of her audition...she has earned more than 15 minutes - her singing abilities is hardly critical - her fame is on account of the whole story - an unpretentious completely authentic person who has been generally despised and rejected by society shines like a brilliant light - her video represents a crucifixion and effective burial by society and then the audience/judges - the whistling at her (etc.) and then the resurrection of her performance and their reactions- and may her time for fame be hours if not perpetual and expose that the lowly inherit the earth...

Posted by paul m April 20, 09 02:41 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is in a class above many singers. If you have heard her rendition of 'Cry Me a River', it is very unusual for one person to perform such a different type of music with excellence. I hope that she is able to have her dream of being a professional singer. Many young and old are ready for some really good music. Especially here in America we are told to like music that really isn't very good, only because the musicians are crazy, beautiful or weird. Very few really have the ability and talent to WOW the world. I think Paul Potts and Susan Boyle are those ones. It's great that they are in the 'older' age. I think young people are great and enjoy their talent, if they have some, but don't forget the mature ones that time has perfected.

Posted by Fonda Ritchie April 20, 09 02:41 PM

Posted by paul m April 20, 09 02:42 PM
  1. After Barack Obama was elected, I said I'd never ask for another thing. And now this!

Posted by Sally O. April 20, 09 02:42 PM

Posted by Sally O. April 20, 09 02:42 PM
  1. A person doesn't have to be nice looking to be beautiful. Susan Boyle
    is definitely a very gifted lady and beautiful in so very many ways.
    I think Fondu G. must have his head stuck in sand.
    J. Gerdes

Posted by James A Gerdes April 20, 09 02:44 PM
  1. I too am obsessed with Susan Boyle, and I can't wait to buy her CD. While her story is absolutely inspiring, it is ultimately that rich tonal quality ,clearness of her voice and convincing delivery that nailed me. Shame on us all for not accepting each other with our 'differences. God bless Susan and her gift to us

Posted by Sandy fuller, Oklahoma April 20, 09 02:46 PM
  1. As Piers, one of the judges put it, "One of the biggest surprises of all time..." I believe this is true, for reasons, good and bad. This is what has made SO MANY people watch this video SO MANY times. The collection of expressions by the judges very acutely accentuate the effect to give added inspiration beyond the standing and cheering audience. Simon's eyebrows lifting in surprise; Amanda's tongue in chin, mouth open; Piers' smile; Simon's smile; Amanda's look to her right, at Piers in disbelief, as Ms. Boyle hits the peak of the crescendo; Simon,hands holding his head in wonderment, as he breaks another smile....

Posted by Mike S. April 20, 09 02:46 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is an angel, period.

Posted by jean April 20, 09 02:50 PM
  1. I posted this on TMZ an hour or so ago but it works well with your statements.

Hopefully, the Susan Boyle performance of, "I Dreamed A Dream" and the reaction to it will be the catalyst needed to lift talent, skill and obvious beauty back into the domain of public desire.
    It is probable Miss Boyle's performance was superior to any that have so far appeared on, American Idol. So many contestants seen on the American version of, "Britain's Got Talent," have developed the modern subterfuges of style that go up, down, around and all over the place trying to hide the fact the contestant has little natural ability and less control. It has become all the rage here it seems.
    One would think Susan Boyle's fine and superbly regulated voice is unique among the worlds unknown singers. There are many people with excellent, well controlled voices. When watching American Idol one must wonder if the best talent is not somehow denied admittance so those with second and third tier abilities will not be made to look bad. Many churches have local singers who are heard no where else but are superior to the best to be found on the American talent show.
    Clearly, Susan Boyle's performance was no fluke. Someone has written that Miss Boyle's talent would only be average compared to the best of the professional singers. I cannot judge that but there is one comparison I would like to make.
    Many years ago there was an American singer who was not pretty and she could not claim to sing with the skill of Maria Calas. She was, however, very great. Patsy Cline was unique and distinctive and anyone familiar with her will recognize her singing upon hearing the first note. Though she may never be a country singer, Susan Boyle may become Britain's Patsy Cline. If I never hear her again I will not forget her.

Justin Ingalls

Posted by Justin Ingalls April 20, 09 02:50 PM
  1. In a time not so very long ago, people were admired for their actual talents. Not for how they look on TV or a webpage or a magazine cover. Accomplished people were famous for their accomplishments. Ever see photos of famous artists, musicians, singers, entertainers, what-have-you, from 50+ years ago? Not everyone is, or was, beautiful to look at. Doesn't mean they don't have talents.
    I'm only amazed that this is such a revelation to today's society.

Posted by baroque April 20, 09 02:58 PM
  1. omg, it just feels SO GOOD to see someone talented instead of whores

Posted by PJ April 20, 09 02:58 PM
  1. When I read some of the comments they were very much like the audience Susan Boyle faced. My goodness why are individuals so terribly pessimistic in the face of a once in a "lifetime" experience, this lady swept everyone off the cynicism trip to a real life moment...she is talented as well as humble. How often do we see that,,,

Posted by Irene April 20, 09 03:00 PM
  1. People who think her singing isn't that great should listen to her breathtaking performance of "Cry me a River," made in 1999. She is an interpreter, a lyrical genius, at least in this song, which is authentic. And I think she's cute. Having a life filled with learning disabled people (and I knew she was one instantly) makes you different. You learn to look beneath the surface, and maybe others will learn to appreciate this skill, and start to be less censuring of people who don't conform to the plastic look of most "show biz" personalities.

Posted by Semper BB April 20, 09 03:01 PM
  1. Susan Boyle needs to put God first and foremost in her life. A life of sin and worldy riches will only lead to destruction. She is being tempted with power and greed. I pray for.

Posted by isaiah limbaugh April 20, 09 03:02 PM
  1. I agree, I don't think she's ugly, I think she's lovely. And yes, Brits, like most Europeans do not seem to be quite as looks-obsessed as our thin-tan-plastic obsessed California-driven media. Did you see Miss America. Barbie 1 versus Barbie 2. I LOVE Susan Boyle. If she wants a makeover, okay then, but I like her great just the way she is. She really does have something that radiates, perhaps she is just really, really a nice lady? She's funny too! HOwever, if she wants a great haircut, manicure, pedicure or day at the spa at the expense of BGT, good on her! She seems to have worked awfully hard in so many ways...charity work, church volunteering and working on that beautiful voice. Sigh, I'm in love, she's so inspiring. I told my daughter, "Hey,maybe Mommy will go back to dance classes after all!"

Posted by Erika N. April 20, 09 03:07 PM
  1. She answers the question, which is a paperweight on my desk:

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail

BRAVO Susan!

Posted by MOJO April 20, 09 03:08 PM
  1. Even if Simon and his cohorts had set this up, so what? You can't make a person feel what is not there and Susan is the genuine article. I have yet to be convinced that Michael Jackson is a great talent. I say that only to point out that many voices will try to tell us that he is a creative genius based on his record sales. I do not say that to diminish M. Jackson in any way, only to point out that people can sometimes be convinced of something because it is driven into their heads over and over ad nauseum. Susan touched the heart from the start and without a bunch of record company hype. Marketing and true talent are different things. If Susan Boyle never sells a single record it will not diminish her talent one iota. Love you Miss Boyle.

Posted by Noor April 20, 09 03:11 PM
  1. She has a voice like Mama Cass. I like to hear her some some her songs like Dream a Little Dream of Me.

Stars shining bright above you
    Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
    Birds singing in the sycamore tree
    Dream a little dream of me
    Say "Night-ie night" and kiss me
    Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
    While I'm alone and blue as can be
    Dream a little dream of me
    Stars fading but I linger on, dear
    Still craving your kiss
    I'm longing to linger till dawn, dear
    Just saying this
    Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
    Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
    But in your dreams whatever they be
    Dream a little dream of me

Posted by GoTimothy April 20, 09 03:12 PM
  1. Susan Boyle ,, What you did like that? you know you teach people a lot.!! Right now i am wipeing my tears. I watch you on Turkish TV. You are amazing Wish you all best in your new life , i am saying your new life becouse i know you are going to Top hon. GOD BLESS YOU

Posted by Ali GER April 20, 09 03:13 PM
  1. I find some of the posts that proclaim Ms. Boyle to be "not that great a singer" to be laughable. The interview with Patti Lupone should put all of you in your place......Ms. Lupone was blown away by Ms. Boyle's performance and voice. Add to that a charity recording (a single track on a CD) that Ms. Boyle did about 10 years ago of "Cry Me a River" (the classic blues version as opposed to the dreadful Timberlake stuff) that she just absolutely nails and you have a REAL talent. I can't wait to see what else she's going to blow us away with.

Posted by Michael April 20, 09 03:13 PM
  1. Frankly, Susan Boyle has given all of us much happieness as it is if we are sharing it with her. Our busy lives and generally self-centered focus was in need of a jolt and that is what Susan means to us. She is genuinely beautiful inside and out and she has allowed each of us the opportunity to sit back and witness incredibile talent from the most down to earth individual many of us had seen ever. What an inspiration. Susan also gave many of us in the US an introduction to Elaine Paige and I am so thankful for that. Ms. Paige is incredible and I for one will seek out her music. The two of them should team up for a tour...USA PLEASE!

Posted by LYN April 20, 09 03:19 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is an inspiration to all of us. She is wonderful.

Posted by David W. Baty April 20, 09 03:20 PM
  1. She's the Brit with grit. Good luck to her!

Posted by Buck Rutledge April 20, 09 03:23 PM
  1. If there is any truth to what the nay-sayers are saying about how "contrived" BGT may be , Susan Boyle has pulled it off brilliantly. So , real or contrived, doesn't matter to me . I want to hear more music by Susan Boyle. She is the first one to broadcast real music over the air in a long time. Go Girl!

Posted by Dean April 20, 09 03:23 PM
  1. Everybody I know is talking about Susan Boyle. We cannot get enough of her video on UTube. She has an amazing voice...she is charming, funny and came at such a good time for all the world to enjoy. Does anyone have the address for her fan mail? We want to invite her to sing at our performing arts venue.

Posted by Sheila Martin April 20, 09 03:30 PM
  1. I'd like to hear a Susan Boyle, Josh Groban CD....

Posted by Olivia April 20, 09 03:32 PM
  1. Video killed the radio star, and Susan Boyle killed superficiality. The world is 99.9999999% more similar to Susan than the sterotypical corporate-developed entertainer. She is pure. She is unknown. She is self-aware of who she is inside and out. Most importantly, she had the courage to place herself in front of her country for judgement. In doing so, the WORLD has accepted her because we are all colorblind to remarkable talent. Those who are cynical enough to openly judge her physical characteristics (or anyone's) are the truly ugly and wretched. Susan, thank you for your courage and stay pure.

Sonnet #94
    They that have power to hurt and will do none,
    That do not do the thing they most do show,
    Who, moving others, are themselves as stone,
    Unmoved, cold, and to temptation slow,
    They rightly do inherit heaven's graces
    And husband nature's riches from expense;
    They are the lords and owners of their faces,
    Others but stewards of their excellence.
    The summer's flower is to the summer sweet,
    Though to itself it only live and die,
    But if that flower with base infection meet,
    The basest weed outbraves his dignity:
    For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
    Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

Posted by Sean S. April 20, 09 03:40 PM
  1. I am fascinated and a little irritated by the furore surrounding Susan Boyle in the UK stemming from the mass perception of her being 'ordinary'. This is no 'ordinary' woman - Susan is an exceptional human being because of the extent of her talent and dogged determination to succeed.

She doesn't appear short, fat, ugly, plain or unglamorous to me. She has the most wonderful voice that ranks alongside the greatest musicians of our time. Isn't that enough?

Posted by Mary Walker April 20, 09 03:41 PM
  1. Fondu G..
    I'm sure you know much more about quality music than I do.. I can only measure quality by the way it touches me..

Her voice gave me chill bumps, and has brought tears to my eyes, every time I have heard Susan Boyle sing.

In my limited opinion, that's a quality voice !! Sorry you can't see or feel the same joy it brings me..

Posted by ken2979 April 20, 09 03:42 PM
  1. Hi there,my name is pablo Wilson and I live really close to susan,I can't see what all the fuss is about with her ,in my very bold opinion she sounds like a pig being pushed threw a barbwire fence whilst smoking a cigarette! Plus u could nit yourself a pair of pyjamas from her eyebrows! But best of luck anyway,u are all being fooled!

Posted by pablo Wilson April 20, 09 03:44 PM
  1. She is fantastic!!

Can not wait to buy her CD. True talent that kid the other night that they claim to be a competitor just sounded as if he was screaming.

Susan you got it!!

Posted by think April 20, 09 03:45 PM
  1. Well Susan's story reminds me of my first day at college as a mature student. The receptionist shoved cleaners' signing-in book at me instead students' one. I now hold a postgraduate qualification.

Never judge a book by it's cover. We all say this but everyone expected Susan to get sent off within 2 seconds of her opening her mouth.

Susan you walked in a lonely person whom no one wanted to know and walked out with the whole world wanting to be your friend. Lesson learned people?

Posted by Esther S. April 20, 09 03:46 PM
  1. I hope Susan wins the final competition. She deserves it. She has a wonderful voice.

Posted by donna eiben April 20, 09 03:47 PM
  1. Incredibly nice to see and hear Susan Boyle. Her story is such a nice escape away from the OCTOMOM fiasco gathering so much attention. Susan, thank you for coming into our lives, you are truly a beautiful person.

Posted by runner23 April 20, 09 03:55 PM
  1. Susan Boyle has provided us all a reminder of the purity of soul and spirit through her singing and just who she is. The giant reaction to this is because she offers the affirmation that spirit is alive and well for those of us too arrogant or self absorbed who have gotten too far away from our own to see it in ourselves too. So Susan is something of a beacon reminding those who have strayed (which is 99% of us) that our own divinity is only one step away and she has lit the way in a beautifully simple manner - which is how spirit works! I am blessed to witness her journey and hold only the brightest and best thoughts for her both personally and professionally. She is a sweet soul and heals us all by just being who she is. Those who do not connect with her are simply still asleep in their own growth and just need a little more time....humanity through consciousness is shifting to the light and Susan is living proof. What a gift to those who can see her. Thanks Susan!

Posted by Scott April 20, 09 03:55 PM
  1. It's simply, Susan Boyle is extremely talented. Her range is unbelievable. She hits the high and low notes powerfully, most singers need to really "work at it" but her voice seams to leave her throut effortlessly. I am assuming she has had no professional training. The truth is that 90% of the worlds Pop Singers including Madonna have no great talent at all. Madonna and her kind have an Image (their voices are worked over and synthesized dozens of times in the Studio before a recording is ever released). Look at the Opera singers - most are ordinary looking.

Posted by L April 20, 09 03:58 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is the most wonderful most naturally talented people in the world. Even if she doesn't win the competition, she has already one over 100 million of us worldwide. Thank you Susan, please bring hope back to this world.

Posted by Alicia April 20, 09 03:58 PM
  1. As a "leader" in American dharma communities (Buddhist, HIndu etc.) (www.satsangteachers.com; www.isdna.org etc.) I think its worth adding that across all these communities this "Susan Boyle" phenome has also been identified as showing how everyone responds profoundly to "true nature" (true character, true innocence, true creativity-- our true nature & image from "God" etc.). This is so profoundly portrayed in the Boyle videos because of the initial cynicism and negativity of the judges and audience. However, when that "light" shines through from Ms. Boyle, it is all suddenly turned around, becoming a tremendous and transparent gift for all.

Posted by Dr. Kurt Johnson April 20, 09 04:03 PM
  1. Come on folks. It is not the least bit unusual for matronly-looking women to sing well. The Susan Boyle effect is more complicated than a guilt response to her appearance (which by the way - is perfectly normal, just look around you). Something happened in her audition clip that resonated with a huge number of people - me included. Susan Boyle managed to reach out and touch many of us in a deeply personal way. I doubt even she knows how she did it and maybe she won't be able to pull it off again. I'm enjoying the moment. No matter what happens going forward - I'm glad we all got to share that moment and I will definitely buy her inevitable CD.

Posted by Mara Gordon April 20, 09 04:04 PM
  1. Fondu & Jason R, why don't you both crawl back into the hole with "Coach" from Survivor. Leave the rest of the world to people who appreciate it.

Posted by John S April 20, 09 04:06 PM
  1. I would have thought that her ability to sing - her raw, pure, talent would have been the one thing that everyone could agree on. So I have to wonder at those people commenting that she "isn't really even that good a singer..." - um...are you actually deaf or has your toxic cynicism so twisted your brain as to crowd your olfactory cavity? OMG - I dare YOU to try to hit those notes with the control and purity she did.

Posted by Steph M. April 20, 09 04:07 PM
  1. For all those people who say Susan is just a mediocre singer, I'd love to know if you'd actually even heard this song before she sang it. Susan's version has a few technical faults. There were a couple of parts where the timing sounded a bit off and some of the words were not enunciated as clearly as they could have been, but the passion she put into the song made up for it. I would rank her performance above Patti, Randy, and Lea. I still think Ruthie has the best version of this song, but the fact that I'm even comparing Susan with Ruthie says a great deal about Susan's singing talent. Susan does hit the "turn your dreams to shame" line better than Ruthie does.

Do any of you "she's not that great" people even have the slightest clue what you're talking about?

Posted by john h. April 20, 09 04:10 PM
  1. Susan Boyle's extremities.......living in 'hidding' for over 40 years, unemployed, because she attempted logical tasks and careers, learning problems, because the world's education system has leaned towards logical learnings (are there IQ tests determined that make use of Arts as deteminant rather than Logic?) and never having been dated, because she probably was told how useless she was for the earlier mentioned reasons.......let all these become a Wake-Up call to people like Susan!
    The good Lord made most people left-brained - logical, mathematical and leaning towards general education by and large, so that the world could advance in its living standards - but few He made right-brained - creative arts - so that they could entertain the rest of the world! There is no mistaking there.........its our system that rejected these and prioritized scholastic learnings alone.
    Jay Leno and Tom Cruise are both dyslexic, perhaps, they are totally normal being that, since their minds are sharp where they need to be sharp.
    Come on in, Susan Boyle - Join the club! A thunderous applause please!!

Posted by Greg Rubin April 20, 09 04:11 PM
  1. It took me a while, after the initial shock of hearing such a beautiful voice, to figure out just what had transpired.
    She walked on the stage with her bad hair and dowdy dress and was instantly labeled
    a failure, someone who would humiliate herself and embarass the audience.
    Instead, she humbled everyone present with that extraordinary talent. I believe many of us learned a lesson from this: don't judge someone who looks beneath your station in life, because you might be the one lacking.

Posted by Andy Friedhofen April 20, 09 04:17 PM
  1. what a heartwarming story!!! God shines down on her!!

Posted by Pauline Wilson April 20, 09 04:18 PM
  1. Stunning. I'll bet Susan has mastered all the great musical hits and can sing them with perfection. Her recording of Cry Me a River is brilliant and moving. Her next song will be Whistle Down the Wind, from Andrew Lloyd Webber's play. An awesome song. I hope to hear her versions of If You Loved Me, Memory, Somewhere, Don't Cry for Me , Argentina and Titanic's theme song , etc.

Posted by Sigmond April 20, 09 04:24 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is the first "candidate" or "cause" that both the liberal press and the conservative press have embraced and agreed is just wonderful.
    She calls out the better angel in all of us, and her baby blue eyes are a window into what so many celebrity-oriented people have overlooked -- the human spirit.
    In the end it is not about the bodies we live in but the person we are inside of those bodies.
    I personally consider the late Mother Theresa to have been one of the most beautiful women on the planet. Susan Boyle has such beauty. If she is "remade", outer changes cannot improve the beauty the Creator blessed her with.

Posted by Julia April 20, 09 04:25 PM
  1. You (yest, YOU) are ALL Susan Boyles, every one of you.
    Go out into the world, and prove me ritght!
    I am doing my best; please, you do yours!

Posted by Richard Conn Henry April 20, 09 04:28 PM
  1. There's more to the story...
    1) Nobody seems to be talking about how the piece was edited. This took some planning, even scripting. The 7 minute clip is a mini-movie, complete with 3 acts, strong characters, and background music. They chose just the right clips to build her story, and increase the drama. They gave Simon just the right questions to ask in act 1. And they added lots of background/theme music to acts 1 and 3 to diminish expectations before she sang, and increase the drama thereafter. This perfect and amazing piece of television is what took off online... but first it had to be created. Credit the producers and editors for a great job.

2) The song she sang had a lot to do with the drama of it all. She "dreamed a dream"... after Simon had just asked her "what's the dream?" She "dreamed that love would never die"... after just telling us that she's never been kissed, never experienced romantic love. She spoke of when she was "young and unafraid"... after we'd just learned that she is 47 years old... reminding us of both her lost youth, and our own. "And still I dream he'll come to me"... her defiant hope in the face of inexorable age and a life of loneliness. And then the ineffable sadness of "there are dreams that cannot be"... sadness that is not hers... she's happy with her life... but ours.

This was a perfect coming together of many, many elements... a perfect storm of extremely powerful communication.

One more thing: I've watched the clip several times now. And I came to compare the two women we see... Susan and Amanda. I've come to think of AMANDA, not Susan, as the funny-looking one. Her eyebrows are... not human, folks. Her face is too perfectly made up, her nose just so, her hair so unnaturally prepared. Put it all together and it's Amanda who looks like a nutjob (which she is not, of course). If you step back from our preconceptions, Amanda is as weird-looking as those native women we sometimes see on Discovery, wearing monster rings in their faces and such. We've just gotten used to all the weirdness that women do to their bodies these days, and we THINK that's beautiful. After looking at Susan awhile... she's the normal, good-looking one. It's everyone else who looks funny.

Posted by playingitout April 20, 09 04:30 PM
  1. I am sick and tired of people calling her ugly. She may not fit the unrealistic beauty standards of Western society, but thank god Westerners aren't the only people in the world. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, colors and ages.

Posted by pattigurl April 20, 09 04:34 PM
  1. Just echoing the remarks of Sandi N. and Donna E. Brazil is also crazy about Susan Boyle.
    Go Susan! Win it all!!

Posted by Jordan in Rio April 20, 09 04:34 PM
  1. i hope people see susan. as i see her. i see a very warm, loving full of fun.kind hearted.
    generous woman.. with a heart of gold. and voice of an angel..
    who may not have fashion sense .and frumpy.. but still loving .
    who hasnt put vanity, first... but her heart..and love..
    and how do i know.. i get judged every day by what i wear .. and hair all over...and tattoos, and rouhgh . lol .my church see a diamond in the rough..people who dont know me see trash... im not bothered just like susan because we have the love of god

Posted by from someone ,just like susan without the voice... April 20, 09 04:39 PM
  1. YES!

Posted by Bill April 20, 09 04:40 PM
  1. Unbelievable!!! Voice Extraordinaire! Savant! Miss Boyle's vocal talent is beyond
    belief. If but once in a lifetime a brilliant one voice could grace our lives, indeed
    it would be this one. God gave her this vocal gift so she could share a humongous blessing with the world. Miss Boyle, certainly we are grateful for you.
    Never, never change! Never allow your circumstances to defeat you. Never alter your appearance - we love you just the way are. You perform most eloquently.
    Your voice sounds and projects as though you're singing from the balconies of Heaven, please retain the endearing, sweet spirit and vocal tones the world
    has come to enjoy and love. God Bless!

Posted by Sandra April 20, 09 04:40 PM
  1. I hope that Simon steps in and makes sure that Susan gets some kind of personal manager that can be trusted. I hope she gets someone to help her with all the publicity, not some jack ass who will steal from her or advise her to do quick money-making things. Susan needs some professionals to manage her career. Her talent is very much in demand, even in the Britney-filled world of plastic "entertainers." I hope she doesn't end up ride the gamut of doing all the silly makeover shows and the rest of the endless media-driven tripe that is called entertainement. When she got up to sing, I was like everyone, I expected this half-shrieking voice to come out, and I was worried that the audience would be so cruel. But her voice is soft, and young-sounding, and she is going to get her wish to be a professional singer.

Posted by Karen April 20, 09 04:43 PM
  1. I think Susan Boyle was like a paul potts moment for me personally never thought she would have the voice but look how wrong I was. She has a very nice manner about her very pleasant and polite and failrly humble and modest. I think she is natrually talented and gifted and it should be shared with and she has made a very huge impact on others and she could be a potential winner. I heard she already is due to sing a duet with her herione Eliane Paige. I wish Susan Boyle all the success as she deserves the chance to be heard with a beautiful voice like that.

Posted by leanne April 20, 09 04:43 PM
  1. SHE is great. Theres no "god" though, so stop wishing for that.

Posted by Steve April 20, 09 04:46 PM
  1. In a press statement, Les Misérables' producer sir Cameron Mackintosh has echoed the comments of judges Simon Cowell, Piers Morgan and Amanda Holden, saying, "Just like the judges and audience I was gob-smacked by the emotional powerhouse performance of Susan Boyle's show stopping rendition of 'I Dreamed a Dream.' Vocally it is one of the best versions of the song I've ever heard. Touching, thrilling and uplifting. So my question is , how would celine dion or streisand have performed being ridiculed before they sang in front of cameras with a hostile audience for the first time. It took tremendous guts to overcome that and give that kind of performance, So, Imagine what she will be like when she sings to a captive audience .It was a superb by anyones standing. and Elaine page and tupelo and world class singers who have said she is outstanding can't all be wrong , can they

Posted by Andrew Burns April 20, 09 04:47 PM
  1. This lady has a voice real close to Patsy Cline. I think in the near future she will prove that she has real talent. Susan brought a tear to many eyes, including mine. Hope she makes a ton of money she deserves it !!

Posted by Tim M April 20, 09 04:47 PM
  1. I think the Susan Boyle phenomenon is characteristically parallel to the current recession, ie, they have fundamentally the same cause: an uncontrolled chain reaction enabled by media and new technology.

Posted by Anonymous April 20, 09 04:56 PM
  1. In a world of cynicism and an era where vanity rules the day, to hear the voice of an angel coming from a middle age woman whom society would not give a second look was truly an incredible experience. To hear Susan Boyles story, to watch her pursue a dream, to see her stand tall before her critics and then to deliver a performance that may go down as the single best performance ever was a moment when our hearts were convicted for our own cynicism and yet have our spirits sore because of the pure beauty of an angelic voice. Susan Boyle inspired millions in humility and she truly is a beautiful soul.

Posted by Mark April 20, 09 04:57 PM
  1. Next person that starts with the "Makeover" bit, go take a flying leap. We don't need another plastic stick figure that looks and sings like everyone else. Diane Sawyer with her "Makeover" remark, geez! The View (dolts) with their "Makeover" remarks, barf...SUSAN isn't the one needing a Makeover...Susan, is perfect as she is. I say, "Don't change one thing".

Posted by Linda Bass April 20, 09 04:59 PM
  1. Two comments: While Susan Boyle put cynicism on it's ear with her awesome voice, I can only hope that she stays grounded and down to earth. To see that twit Simon Cowell be taken down a few pegs is music to my ears. Second is what is defined as talent in this day and age and how Susan can maybe put the shift behind the music and not what is passed off as music today. Now I know that the the pop charts always has been and always will be geared toward teenagers. It's just I scream because as talented as Susan Boyle's voice is, a whole lot of good it is without the musicians and songwriters who ( heaven forbid ) can actually play instruments and write music, and the recording industry has gotten away from it for far too long. Why can John Mayer be allowed to become the next Eric Clapton or somebody else become this generation's Elton John. Instead John Mayer ( who I'm sure was told by his record company ) that they won't promote his records if he were to bust into athe amazing guitar solos that he does live and we get stuck with soupy ballads that give headaches upon listening to them. Just like Susan Boyle's voice is a wakeup to singing, the music industry needs a serious wakeup on the instrument and songwriting aspect of what's heard on top 40 radio. When I grew up, every song had 3 verses, 2 choruses and either a sax or guitar solo all in under 4 minutes. If it worked before, why can't it work now ???

Posted by Mike April 20, 09 05:04 PM
  1. Pablo you sound quite jealous, are you a twenty something also unemployed but have no talent lol.
    Your the fool, that woman can sing.

Posted by Willie Wonke April 20, 09 05:08 PM
  1. I'm leaning towards the synical here but DO NOT tell me Creepy Cowel etal did'nt know what was coming . Sorry Susan you are being exploited for the greater good of veiwing figures and it seems the whole world is too gullible to see it . Ofcourse Susan can sing but so can most of the population , she has been singled out because she fits a marketing niche , and dont forget the story that goes with her performance innocent and self sacrificing daughter finaly lets loose her own expectations, All this being said I hope she at least makes enogh money from her 15 minutes of fame to be comfortably off before we discard her like many before

Posted by jane christena harper April 20, 09 05:08 PM
  1. susan boyle is a gift from god to us in these difficult times she gives us all hope that if you believe in yourself are true to yourself and go out to reach for your goals
    you can achieve. in times of negative equity she makes us forget about the material world and hits us where it matters...in our hearts !. She makes you feel like a million dollars ...and thats after tax...so go all the way girl...your good for our souls and great for healing those recession blues. don reedman .london

Posted by don Reedman April 20, 09 05:12 PM
  1. I saw this only on YouTube. I enjoyed Boyle's performance, but am I the only one who was bothered by the audience screaming DURING her singing? Not to mention a couple of bozos shown commenting in the wings. Hey, folks, can't you maintain a respectful silence during the song, and then show your pleasure with wild applause AFTER it's done?

Posted by Larry K. April 20, 09 05:14 PM

1. Justin Ingalls said it...like Patsy Cline. Also, I've spent over an hour listening to clips of great female vocalists on youtube and the closest I come to the shivers I felt listening to Ms Boyle for the nth time was hearing the very young Judy Garland. There is an untouched purity about Ms Boyle's voice and a quality of giving of herself--no punches pulled--that may come from her lack of experience in public venues but is simply tremendous. She pours it all out, over and above her gift of voice. Streisand's voice is marvelous but I have only heard her belt like that in small places. Professional singers must be discouraged from giving it all away.

Posted by Tamar Rimmon April 20, 09 05:17 PM
  1. If the comment by "64" is genuine, then Susan is even more amazing. She illuded to being bullied, and this bloke is just the type to be the bullier. He wouldn't know class if it bowed in front of him. Its true that she may not have the best voice on the planet, but she has a beautiful voice with strength, control, phrasing and lilt. The circumstances of the performance, the editing of the video, the lyrics matching a perception of her life, all these come together to make this one experience a socialogical event unprecedented in modern times. The crass proclaimation of one of the US networks to begin searching for "America's Susan Boyle" is so wrong on so many fronts! I watch the video again. Again I am uplifted. This will not be a flash in the pan!

Posted by CMT April 20, 09 05:18 PM
  1. I think Susan Boyle has created something huge in this world that not even she can comprehend just yet. In a world where we have to worry about our jobs, 2 wars, pirates in our International waters, if our 401K will support us in retirement, if we can send our children to college or if our social security will even be there when we need it she swooped in on the wings of a dove like a gift sent from god and she made some of us sit for a moment and reflect on our own humanity and humility. She is so inspiring, innocent and pure with the voice of an angel. For those of you that are posting bad comments you should be ashamed of yourself. If you cannot say something nice about someone please do not say anything at all~!

Posted by Mandy April 20, 09 05:19 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is such an inspiration; truly gifted by God. May this encourage "ordinary" people to pursue their dreams.

Posted by Mimi Dejarme April 20, 09 05:20 PM
  1. I found the Susan Boyle name on the Jonathan Cainer website so then I keyed in Susan Boyle on google as I have not watched this programme and thought who is this person..
    My daughter today passed her driving test and she was in tears with joy and tonight I watched Susan Boyle and her voice filled me with tears of joy - her humility and grace showed thorugh and isn't this what it is all about in this life.
    God has sent her to make us realise what is important in this life....

Posted by Lynda T April 20, 09 05:20 PM
  1. Why is Susan Boyle classified by the media and others as a frumpy woman? Obviously you all saw a different woman than I did. When she was performing and she said that she had never been kissed I looked at her mouth and it is a beautiful mouth and very kissable with perfect teeth. ( NO I am not a lesbian but a very observant normal woman.) She has a delightful personality, her fingernails were immaculate and she was very pleasant through all the jeers. She may be frumpy to you lot but I would be honored to meet her and thank her for being just herself, a lovely woman, so lay off her and smarten up !!!!

Posted by Mrs . J . Whitfield April 20, 09 05:22 PM
  1. God made Susan Boyle and he looked at her and said, "You are beautiful, my child, and I love you."
    We live in a time when we are forced to listen to music that has to be digitally enhanced because the singer has mediocre talent. Then we are brainwashed into thinking that artificially made up beauty is the real beauty. Like a nip here and a tick there will be just the ticket required for one to succeed.
    Thank God, Susan never bought into all that crap. Susan is real and I will take real over fake any day of the week. For me, her music soothes my soul and makes my heart smile. Her music moves me to tears of joy.

Posted by Blue Moon April 20, 09 05:28 PM
  1. I believe Susan Boyle embodies the hopes and dreams of many of us. She captures a place in the hearts of many whom have lost thier hopes and those who have forgotten how todream. Like the british media has said she is the peoples winner. Hers is a kind of Cinderella story, for all of us that want to believe in fairy tales. Our favorite bed time stories as children are much like the life of Susan Boyle, filled with hope. I cry every time I watch the video, I believe in a way I am crying tears of happiness for her, but some how alittle more for myself.

Posted by Joy April 20, 09 05:30 PM
  1. If we're lucky--REALLY lucky-- the Boyle phenom might just signal the end of plastic, prepackaged, consumerist phoneyism in entertainment. After a couple of decades of slick, corporate, demographically tested crap, maybe people are interested in ordinary looking people with extraordinary talent. I hope so.

Posted by Alfred April 20, 09 05:36 PM

Posted by Joy April 20, 09 05:43 PM
  1. What makes Susan Boyle's singing so different from other professional singers is her passion and spirit. I just listened and compared her singing of I Dreamed a Dream with Ilene Paige, Kiri te Kanawa, and other notable professional singers, and by far, Susan's rendering was the most authentic and piercing to the heart.

Posted by karen April 20, 09 05:43 PM
  1. For all you music industry experts (yeah, right) who are going around posting about how Susan Boyle is not a great singer, may I point out that Patti Lupone, the Broadway superstar and first person to ever sing "I Dreamed A Dream", raved about Susan's performance on TV a day or two ago. I watched a clip of Lupone singing this song and let me tell you, Susan is just as good.

I guess all you musical experts who have nothing better to do than critique a woman with genuine talent probably think Britney Spears can sing. What willfully ignorant morons. Elaine Page, star of "Evita", "Cats", and "Sunset Boulevard", and the musical superstar whose career Susan aspires to emulate, was so impressed with Susan's talent that she's signed on to perform a duet with her. So real Broadway stars may just know something that you naysayers don't.

Posted by Tee April 20, 09 05:44 PM
  1. I cannot stop watching Susan's video - it is so powerful, but very humbling to each of us as individuals and how we look at each other. Unbelievably beautiful.

Posted by Sue April 20, 09 05:45 PM
  1. Susan certainly does have a wonderful voice, but i think the reaction everyone has to her performance on youtube is so powerful because noone expected it. We all expected this nice funny looking woman to be a weirdo with a terrible voice and a big joke, but what we got was one of the most joyful, exhilarating and emotional moments in TV history and i love it! Its given people a rare and wonderful moment to share and enjoy and youtube has been the perfect vehicle to spread the LOVE. Perhaps we are heading into a period of the talented underdog, but i think its more likely that Susan Boyle is a phenomenon and we've all been very lucky to have shared it. Good luck to her

Posted by David Holloway April 20, 09 05:50 PM
  1. Oh dear oh dear. How cruel some of the above comments are. How would those people feel if comments like that were made about them. Shame on you all.
    I too have heard Susan Boyle sing several times now and each time I get goosegumps and long to hear more. She has the voice of an angel. I wish her all the luck in the world. I hope some time soon she will have a CD out and I will be able to sit back and enjoy this most beautiful and pure voice. Good luck to you Susan. I wish you every success and hope you enjoy the journey ahead - don't let those music execs push you around - do it your way!!!
    I hop

Posted by Lynne April 20, 09 05:51 PM
  1. I think the reason she has gained so much attention is that she was so unexpected. Not your 20 something blond babe with a tanned hard body, just a great voice and a very nice lady. And it may be that she will not make it all the way, I saw a dance team beat out a young girl with an incrediable voice. Go figure

Posted by Linda Hayton April 20, 09 05:59 PM
  1. GOD BLESS SUSAN BOYLE! During these stressful times, we all need Susan and her genuine smile, divine voice and infectious spirit. Every time I watch the youtube video, I cry. To see the reaction of the judges and the audience....priceless. We all need to go back to a less complicated time where good things happen to good people. We need to recognize the beauty and talent in everyone and stop being so quick to judge others. The world loves you, Susan. Stay true to yourself. Don't let fame and fortune mold you into something you are not. May the change happen to the rest of us so that we may become more like you!

Posted by Mommy in the Sky April 20, 09 05:59 PM
  1. Why hasn't she been kissed in her life? Why hasn't someone or several men, seen the beauty in her soul?

Very sad to know that men that have to select a mate to produce the survival of the fittest seem only able to see as far as the right lips/eyes/ body/makeup/bullshit but are unable to see the soul and beauty within it.

Go girl go. You have more beauty in you than masses of other women who have nothing other than money or status or what is perceived as 'looks'. You're the real thing - they're the monotomous, boring, ridiculous sham.

Beauty is what is INSIDE a person, not bodily features.

Posted by Janie April 20, 09 06:02 PM
  1. When I saw Ms. Boyle, even before she started singing, I didn't see a frumpy, fat, ugly woman. I saw an ordinary woman, one who looks much like a lot of people I know. Look around you - most of the people you know are probably a lot like Ms. Boyle, just plain, ordinary people. The press makes her out to be some sort of warty ogre who happens to have a nice voice, and thus they were surprised at her talent. I saw another human who has a talent I wish I had, and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her sing, both on the BGT videos, as well as her rendition of "Cry Me a River".

As for whether or not she should have a makeover, she did say that she wants to be a professional singer, so she should be expected to have a more polished look to go with being a professional. Not that there is anything wrong with her looks now. She's cute as a button. However, if she's going to take that big step into professional singing, she will be expected to change her looks, at least a bit.

I can't wait to hear more from her! I liked her performance.

Posted by D. April 20, 09 06:06 PM
  1. Only those who are true of heart can take our breath away...and Susan had taken millions into her heart.....she is so genuine and so true..and her voice so magnificent...I'm so glad we got to hear her finally...Bravo Susan..i can't wait for your cd's to come out....God smiled down on the earth..when he showed us Susan Boyle...and we needed her desperately.

Posted by Betty April 20, 09 06:06 PM
  1. ITS SIMPLE..............THE ORDAINARY FOLK DONT GET A LOOK IN, IT DOES NOT SUIT THE IMAGE OF THE PLASTIC WORLD OF POP...........BUT SUSAN BOYAL HAS NOW GOT HER CHANCE, AND BEFORE SHE EVEN STARTS RECORDING RECORDS YOU KNOW SHES GOING TO BE UP THEIR ALREADY WITH THE LIKES OF THE GREAT SINGERS , SHE WILL SELL MILLIONS OF RECORDS NOT ONLY BECAUSE ITS FOR HER PURE VOICE AND TALENT, BUT SHE HAS SENT SHOCK WAVES AROUND THE WORLD HOW WE STILL SNEAR THE IMAGE AND NOT THE DEPTH OF A PERSON>>>>JUSTICE AT LAST HAS BEEN SERVED

Posted by ROBERT McARTHUR April 20, 09 06:06 PM
  1. I'm a Boyle fan and to all the cynics out there-what's your point? Newsflash-there are at least two other songs out there which Ms. Boyle cut 10 or so years ago-one on a local charity CD, the other(s?) she did as a demo tape which she sent out in hopes of having a professional singing career. They are not show tunes and they are excellent. Those who say she is just an average singer-I suggest listening to these songs. She is excellent, just like she was on this show. I'd say the naysayers and wet blankets are just jealous of the attention she's getting and of her God giving talent.

Posted by Melissa N. April 20, 09 06:13 PM
  1. Susan is beautiful...and sings like an angel! God Bless Her.....she is what this world needed!

Posted by Carmen April 20, 09 06:15 PM
  1. What a precious thing to take our minds off all the garbage going on around us. So glad for her success and yes vindication.

Posted by Cenevieve Ross April 20, 09 06:16 PM
  1. I think Susan is a living dream......Barak Obama is a living nightmare!

Posted by Joe D April 20, 09 06:19 PM
  1. I agree with Dean...whether contrived or not this lovely woman has touched me and countless others around the world with her humble nature, sense of humour and spectacular voice. I must admit that BGT appears to be much more receptive to the melange of talented singers at their doorstep than the loathsome American Idol. I applaud BGT for their wherewithal to encourage regular folk to perform.

Contrived or not, Simon is well aware that he has a diamond in his hands. Will he prosper from her talent? Of course. Conversely, this is exactly what Susan has always wanted and I hope she will live an enchanted life doing what she loves and thriving from it as well.

This beautiful and talented woman has paid her dues and deserves a chance to shine!

Posted by Sine MacNaughton April 20, 09 06:20 PM
  1. Well, Pablo, perhaps if you would go back to school and learn to spell instead of tormenting this dear woman by ringing her door bell and running like a low life sneak in the night, your opinion might not be so biased. So she's successful, and you are not. Get over it. I will be one of the first in line to purchase her upcoming CD along with millions of others. She'll earn enough money to move away from your area and then instead of criticizing, you can sit and weep.

Posted by Maggie April 20, 09 06:20 PM
  1. PABLO WILSON:
    Ms. Boyle certainly has my condolences that she has the misfortune of living near such a mean-spirited person such as yourself. I think that, if I were you, I'd take a GOOD, HARD SCRUB and clean all that PIGSH_T from that EMPTY head of yours, then take that cigarette you mentioned out of your mouth, stuck it up your A _ S while running through that barbed wire fence you mentioned. Maybe then you might be fortunate enough to hear the voice of an angel coming from Ms. Boyle's mouth instead of the garbage coming from yours,you jealous excuse of a man.

Posted by Patricia Mortazavi April 20, 09 06:23 PM
  1. Time will tell what comes of this beyond what's happening at the moment. I, for one, don't want to try to take it away from her. Let's all just see how this plays out and wish her the best.

Posted by barney April 20, 09 06:27 PM
  1. awesome!! YOU WILL GO FAR!!! YOU GIVE OLDER PEOPLE HOPE

THANK-YOU

SUSAN

Posted by BRANDON JONES April 20, 09 06:27 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is a natural. Her voice reminds me of another singer that doesnt necessarily have the appearance of an angel , but her voice proves it. KD. Lang has the same voice quality.

Posted by Ellie April 20, 09 06:31 PM
  1. Awesome, totally awesome. I have watched Susan's video so many times and forwarded the video to almost all in my contacts list. What a text book lesson in Judge Not.... and in humility!

Posted by Adina April 20, 09 06:33 PM
  1. I am a 29 year old man from Miami, FL, home of the beautiful women and shallow souls. When I first saw her video on youtube I shed tears and please know that I grew up in NYC (Where I learned to be emotionally tough), went to the worst schools and my grammar on this blog proves it! LOL. I am watching a spanish network and all they talk about is what Susan Boyle needs to change her looks with expensive surgery and it made me very sad to see that instead of talking about her talent, they talk about how she needs to get plastic surgery in order to be accepted in society. I think that we as a society have learned to reject the gifts that God brings to our world. This 40something year old woman with the soul and humility of a child went up on stage and when she began to sing she inspired all the women and men who cannot afford to get the expensive surgery or have the natural beauty. She made a lot of people feel hope in many different ways and now we are going to turn around and advise this gift from God to change her looks! If we allow this, we are the reason of the downfall of humanity. We are allowing us to treat each other like objects to judge and try to change to make them like everybody else. Please lets stop this!

Posted by Ram April 20, 09 06:35 PM
  1. This woman is an insparation and proves NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER. I would be surprised if this is not the winner, pure talent. I hope her every success she will go far and get snapped up by all the talent scouts , an insparation to us all . BRITAIN has got talent (the best talent in the world) and such a fantastic song . WELL DONE SHARON YOU ARE BRILLIANT

Posted by KEVIN H April 20, 09 06:35 PM
  1. Susan's performance on BGT was stunning on a number of levels. The song she chose was a perfect choice on so many levels. It was technically difficult, and still she nailed it. There were several layers of meaning in her performance--what she brought, what we projected onto her, what the song itself evoked. ALL of it worked. I realize when she started to walk off the stage before the judges had their say, Susan had gotten what she wanted. She made that audience rock, just like she said. Still, it could have been a one-shot wonder UNTIL you hear her on "Cry Me a River." This woman is a PERFORMER. She just has it. And, I can't wait for more.

Posted by labmva April 20, 09 06:39 PM
  1. Here’s my take-away—we live in a society that judges others so severely for their outward appearances—scoffing at those who don’t seem to meet the mark (in terms of natural beauty, intellect, credentials, etc)—yet, here is an example of someone who, below the surface, has much more to offer than anyone could imagine (which is true for most people if we will take the time to get beyond the surface).

Posted by Peter Miller April 20, 09 06:43 PM
  1. And what, may I be so bold to inquire, is "pablo Wilson's" problem with "susan"? I suspect pablo couldn't get to first base with Susan and so his revenge is to make very hateful comments. Why does he find it necessary to be so nasty? "In my very bold opinion", pablo should spend some time dealing with his own issues!

Posted by Steve April 20, 09 06:44 PM
  1. WOW! I just listened to Susan Boyle's audition, and I still have a smile on my face! Her voice gave me tingles. Shame on people trying to discredit her for her "looks". Who cares??? She has a talent, and should not be ashamed to show it, because she doesn't fit the "Hollywood critieria" when it comes to her exterior. We give so many LOSERS credit for their "so-called talents" because they are appealing to the eye...We are trying to tell everyone (especially young, influencial girls) that beauty is skin-deep, yet we still tend to let only beautiful people get a shot when it comes to being famous....It's time we all grow up!

Posted by K.D. Bradley April 20, 09 06:46 PM
  1. Reminds me of one of our tribal stories about Hunchback Girl. Her father's last words: "Do not be like all the others who only look at surfaces and never into hearts and souls; open your eyes and see! Though people may call you horrible names, in my eyes you will always be my prettiest Little Angel." Ultimately, Daddy's words came true: she grew to be the most beautiful Indian woman in history and the mother of our people, the Potawatomi (Native Americans). Go, Susan, go!

Posted by Fr. Victor Cuauhtitlatoatzin April 20, 09 06:59 PM
  1. Susan is and was the inspiration to a generation of over 40's who feel invisible in the world of entertainment. How cynical the judges were, based purely on the plain appearance of a seemingly ordinary small-town woman who had a dream to be a professional singer. Nowadays it seems a woman has to come onstage half naked and buffed, made-up and styled to within an inch of her life to cover the fact that her talent is mediocre. In Susan we saw nothing but her incredible talent. Even had her voice not been so stunning, her smile was gorgeous and her emotion when singing was what moved us all to tears. I pray she won't be exploited to the point of exhaustion. Let Susan be Susan.

Posted by Maureen April 20, 09 07:00 PM
  1. Miss Boyle takes my breath away... Bravo!

Posted by A. WA. April 20, 09 07:02 PM
  1. For doubters, I have two simple words: Kate Smith.

Posted by No Doubt April 20, 09 07:10 PM
  1. Pebbles is now the world's most famous cat.

Posted by PJ April 20, 09 07:11 PM
  1. God chose the meek, He chose those least expected ... He chose those with tender hearts and honest smiles. God is watching -- and not from a distant as one song says, but, up close and personal. May we all take note of Susan Boye and grow in our relationship with the Lord Jesus, who is the Maker, the Comforter, the Creator of all things. Thank you Susan for this reminder.

Posted by Deb H April 20, 09 07:14 PM
  1. I Love You....and the way you look.i cry every time i watch you sing..You are better than elvis..Tom from arkansas

Posted by Tom Hammons April 20, 09 07:18 PM
  1. Susan Boyle you are a true star. Well done and all the very best for future ventures. We salute you!

Posted by Riana April 20, 09 07:18 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is truly God-sent. She speaks to the heart. She is such a calm touch that wakes us up when we all wanted to give up.

Thank God for you, Susan!

Posted by Leah April 20, 09 07:19 PM
  1. i am from Tennessee. The performance on Britains got talent has been all the talk at the office this week, I had not seen it myself so I came home today and decided to take a look, pulled up my youtube and watched. I was instantly entranced by her voice. I watched it over and over again. I had tears in my eyes and a smile on my face. One of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Please Susan, I want to hear more, and to whom it may concern don't let this remarkable singer get away. The world needs song and the world needs singers that can give the kind of feelings I felt tonight when I heard her sweet voice.

Posted by Sherri Anderson April 20, 09 07:26 PM
  1. American companies, have lost a sense of quality. Look at our car industry, and our once proud movie industry. The importance of quality has been lost at the expense of marketing in almost every industry. Our youth obsessed media responds to marketing analysis...not simple truths like value and quality.

Middle aged women are sick of it. And it appears many men are as well.
    Susan Boyle is a message in a bottle. Lets hope the entertainment industry finds it.

Posted by Ann Garrison April 20, 09 07:30 PM
  1. Every time I see her, I cry. I am also one of those who were laughed at, mocked, derided - & by my own family no less. I applaud her for breaking the cynicism of those who think less of someone who isn't regarded as the 'norm' in society. Susan will not laugh at those who mocked her, she has no guile to lower herself to that level. She is a winner, a grinner, & the life-breath to all those who are depressed, lonely & in need of a jolly good boost to the morale. Go Susan, you deserve the lot!! God's Angel's do descend on earth in all guises.

Posted by Judie Rowling Australia April 20, 09 07:32 PM
  1. Susan Boyle, your voice is super great !
    I love it..........GOD bless you Susan! You will win.

Posted by Joanne Chiew April 20, 09 07:36 PM
  1. The one thing I love about British TV and that includes all programs, is that the people on the Telly are real people, they do not have faces that do not move. The eyebrows are not where there arses should be, hello has anyone seen Joan Rivers and her daughter Melissa on the goggle box in Celebrity Apprentice. Thank God for the Brits, and their ability to love people warts and all. Susan Boyle is an amazing singer, I cannot wait to buy her first CD, she has captured my heart the way Josh Brolan did when he first starting singing. God Bless Susan Boyle, away the nee, you go girl

Posted by Audrey Frati April 20, 09 07:37 PM
  1. Pablo, Your comment had so many misspellings that you should devote your time to a dictionary rather than to listening to Susan Boyle who the rest of us love.

Posted by Laira April 20, 09 07:43 PM
  1. I have watched Susan Boyle's video a number of times now and each time it touches me. It is not only a moving song but it is performed exceptionally well. I watched it not only to hear her voice but to watch how she transforms the cynical, sneering, "you don't belong here" attitude of the judges and audience into complete bliss. I've never watched AI or AGT here in the states but I have heard others talk of Mr. Cowell and from what I gather he is none too endearing. But to see his face at the end, what appears as complete contentment to just sit and listen is what makes me laugh at such people. I wish at the end they would have shown the young woman in the audience who was laughing at Ms. Boyle's statement about wanting to be a professional singer during the opening comments. If I was her, I would hope to god that no one I knew ever saw that video because I would be so completely embarrassed to even show my face in public again. Even if Ms. Boyle had not done the outstanding performance that she did, that young woman's conduct simply shows us the complete lack of decency that many people have today.

For the couple of people who don't think that Ms. Boyle has any talent I can confidently say that you are completely bereft of any ability whatsoever to know what vocal quality is. My sister took voice lessons for years and continues to perform frequently so I get to go to many concerts and I can tell you, Ms. Boyle has a superb voice. Her rendition of Cry Me a River was outstanding. And the other couple of songs she has done a capella on the various news shows were also outstanding. The purity and quality of her voice is what brings out the emotion in us.

I can only hope that she will continue to share her talent with us, for now that we have been exposed to it, the world would be less without it.

Posted by Bob April 20, 09 07:47 PM
  1. Just look at the comments that are raging in by the seconds. Love her or not, you just cannot deny the fact that she's caught your attention.

Susan Boyle will never walk alone ever again.

Posted by KC April 20, 09 07:51 PM
  1. It's not the craze that everyone has that I'm fixated on; it's Susan. Everytime I replay this song I just cry. She has touched my heart with her voice and as someone stated earlier if she never sing another song this is just the bees knees!

Posted by BJ April 20, 09 07:59 PM
  1. Susan, you have come into the lives of millions at a time when we needed to feel such love and appreciation for one another. Your voice is a true gift from God. You are a prime example of why we must never judge another. I have listened to you over and over and you have touched my heart. Please don't ever change and keep on singing.

Posted by Patricia Taylor in Chattanooga Tn April 20, 09 08:08 PM
  1. I too had goosebumps by the third note Susan sang. I think she will keep her sweetness through out her career which she will have with or without winning on the show. Some of us are late bloomers and for her, life begins at 47.

Posted by Dee LeBlanc April 20, 09 08:49 PM
  1. INNER BEAUTY = SUSAN BOYLE

Posted by JEREMY BEARDSLEY April 20, 09 09:18 PM
  1. The initial reaction to her was shameful. As if one's outside appearance tells what one's vocal chords are capable of doing.

Shameful.

Posted by NH April 20, 09 09:21 PM
  1. Susan Boyle, your voice lifts me everyday I listen to you on the web during your audition. You are truly a tremendous person both inside and out. Good luck and I am finally glad to see a truly original person on this show and not a want a be. If you were to make an album now I would certainly buy it.

Posted by Rhonda Slusher April 20, 09 09:36 PM
  1. It's the "Shirley Temple" phenomenon. The world is going through tough economic times; unemployment is skyrocketing; people are depressed. Like Shirley Temple was to the Depression generation, a ray of hope, inspiration, cheefulness, sincerity, so is Susan Boyle to us. We all need a pick me up now. We all need something to help us believe in ourselves again. This is why everyone is responding so positively to this talented, down-to-earth woman.

Posted by Rozzwell April 20, 09 09:45 PM
  1. I too wondered if Susan's I dreamed a dream was just fluke, then I heard her rendition of Cry me a river. She's very very good in that song too. Though "I dreamed a dream" was a wonderful performance full of energy and passion from Susan Boyle, it lacked a little in nuancing probably because it was being recorded on a live stage without the best equipment. But with Cry Me a River, which was recorded in a proper sound studio, it's very clear to me, Susan doesn't just sing, she's a singer. She has a way of expressing herself in song which is hers. No doubt about it, she's a very gifted singer. And I'm with the millions who say - Put out that CD and I'll definitely buy it.

Posted by shawnamarieannie April 20, 09 11:52 PM
  1. Susan Boyle is a Rolls Royce in a parking lot full of generic cookie-cutter Orlando music factory Yugos.

Posted by Ron H. April 21, 09 01:28 AM
  1. Yes Susan I to have spent a life time with people looking and acting as if I knew nothing even with my 8+ years of college. It hurt but I never let it sway me from my course. You see I like you beleived in myself and all that I worked with knew and depended on me to make them look great. Please do not ever let anyone change anything about you for no change could make you greater than you know you realy are this day. You are as true as can be and that is great. God did not care how we look or act and he is the one who gave you that beatiful voice and the ability to use it to the joy of all mankind. keep on singing.

Posted by John H. Jackman April 21, 09 01:43 AM
  1. Regarding this pablo(64) I have just watched Ms Boyle on youtube for the 1st time, who I am finding more attractive everytime I see her, with her true inner beauty and warmth. Shame on you for your disgusting jealousy. You go girl.

Posted by Brenda McLeish April 21, 09 05:47 AM
  1. Souls were pierced, and spirits were soothed. A true testimonial and measure of modesty, grace and perseverance. My 17 year old daughter was holding back tears as a result of the trueness of a voice crafted in Heaven. Our younger generation has now been influenced. It only took 7 minutes.

Posted by Bill, Ottawa Canada April 21, 09 08:11 AM
  1. Her performance is extraordinary, not just because her voice is beautiful, but because her technical execution is flawless. When she said she was classically trained to be a singer, boy- she ain't kidding!
    "I Dreamed A Dream" is a very difficult song to sing, it has both very high notes and very low notes, and often the jump between them takes a lot of skill to pull off.
    I have heard that song sung a hundred times, but never so beautifully. Susan wasn't acting, that song was coming straight from her heart.
    And if you can't take Patti LuPone's and Ellen Paige's word for it, then you're in denial/

Posted by Noel April 21, 09 09:43 AM
  1. Let's be frank. Susan Boyle is not pretty or "average looking". She is a physically unattractive woman. That's why when she walked on stage the audience and the members of the panel reacted the way they did. That's why she has touched the hearts of millions of people around the world.

As a very homely person myself, I feel her performance was inspiring to people like me. She was competing in domain usually reserved for attractive if not beautiful people. Just like people who succeed in their endeavours in spite of physical disabilities, racial barriers.

Posted by David April 21, 09 10:00 AM
  1. I was also quite moved and delighted by Ms. Boyle's performance, however, some of the reaction to it seems to be a little over the top - reminding me of the people who fall on their knees when they think they see the image of Jesus in a grilled cheese sandwich. I wish Ms. Boyle success and happiness, but setting her up as some sort of saintly savant can only lead to disillusionment. I understand that a lot of people who feel battered by the world see her as a reflection of themselves and as a way to validate their own existance, but that's an incredibly unfair burden to place on this lady who deserves to be appreciated for the simple pleasure of her own talent and personality.

Posted by jim April 21, 09 10:56 AM
  1. Hi pablo here again!!
    Can I just ask why is everyone having a go at me for voicing my opinion?I find everyone is being very rude and hurtful towards me!! There is a more important subject to discuss here! SUSAN,can I just say I have a more talented Boyle on my arse,it is also more attractive,I can't believe everyone is saying she is nice looking and stupid things like that,sorry I didn't know you guys were all blind! She is a hinderence to society and the sooner you realise this the better! Make this silly sounding lady go away before it's to late as she is bursting my eardrums! I've seen more talent on a garbage can!!!!

Posted by pablo Wilson April 21, 09 11:34 AM
  1. B.O.R.I.N.G.

Posted by damask April 21, 09 12:16 PM
  1. There is something terribly wrong with our culture, and the fuss over Susan Boyle demonstrates it.

I must confess I enjoyed watching Susan Boyle's audition on "Britain's Got Talent," but at the same time I cringed at why I was feeling what everyone else was -- surprise at her amazing voice. I had fallen into the same false belief as everyone else -- that those who are not physically beautiful cannot be accomplished.

I'm one of the non-pretty people myself, and I feel ashamed that I turned on Susan Boyle what our culture and even I myself have turned on people like us. Why shouldn't someone who's dumpy and ungroomed sing like an angel? Why are we surprised? I think we should be ashamed of our strong reaction to Susan Boyle. If we hadn't let our prejudice against the unbeautiful control us, her performance wouldn't have come as such a shock, and she wouldn't be the craze of the moment.

I hope she can recover from this, and I hope we can learn. But I'm afraid we won't.

Posted by Priscilla Ballou April 21, 09 01:12 PM
  1. Susan is the real deal. Beyond the voice she is a true classy woman. She has poise in her step, she's humble and modest, and she's got the courage to do what she wants.

I hope she can fufill her dreams.

More people like her are welcome. What talent and attitude. I would buy her music.

Posted by Riviera April 21, 09 01:58 PM
  1. While both woman have great voices, there is NO WAY SB sang 'Cry me a River"!

The voices are totally different and you can hear her Scots accent in her other songs and 'Cry' has an American accent!

Posted by Selfa April 21, 09 02:21 PM
  1. I think that susan boyle can sing, but people are taking the mik oot her. I dont want her to win, a tink Flawless were way betta and there is already singers oot there 4 xfactor. Singers shoodnt win cause it needs some other talent. SINGING ISNT ROYAL VARIOTY!

Posted by Jeniveeve April 22, 09 04:25 AM
  1. I often wonder where these petty minded, ridiculous individuals, who wouldn't know a singer from a cheeseburger get there absolute absurd opinions from. 3 of the best singers in the world have rated her performance outstanding, the producer of les miserables , sir cameron macintosh said this. "I was gob-smacked by the emotional powerhouse performance of Susan Boyle's show stopping rendition of 'I Dreamed a Dream.' Vocally it is one of the best versions of the song I've ever heard. Touching, thrilling and uplifting"The new york daily ran a poll asking if her rendition of," i have a dream" was the best of all time, 96% said yes, Over 100 million have watched the video. Like anything else if your knowledge of something thats quality is beyond your meagre minds then find something else to comment about. And of course they make these comments because they would not recognise talent if it fell out of sky and hit them on the head while they watch the plastic singer brigade who can only mime along and will never have 0.1% of susan boyles talent

Posted by Andrew Burns April 22, 09 08:05 AM
  1. To Pablo wilson. Your entitled to your opinion about Susan Boyle but the problem is , How were we to know you had the IQ of a tin of peas and probably upset because you needed sex but your sister was away on vacation, Your sure as night as day a good advert for condoms and i am sure the doctor punched your mom when you were born. You absolute pathetic individual. You must be one lonely person, And probably the kind of garbage that abuses the susan boyles of the world. Congrats to this excellent forum for putting people like the pablo wilsons in there place..

Posted by Andrew Burns April 22, 09 07:12 PM
  1. Susan Boyle needs a brilliant agent and fast or the press will destroy her and/or she will destroy herself. It takes much more than talent to succeed in the music business. Music today IS a business. Unfortunately, it all too often requires NO talent at all.

Posted by JoAnn Baird April 23, 09 12:41 AM
  1. Susan Boyle touched my heart. She is a genuine talent, and I look forward to hearing whatever music she produces in the future. As someone commented earlier, she reminds me of Judy Garland a bit, but with more range and power.

Although I would be disappointed to find out that Amanda and Piers were faking their shocked reactions at her performance (Simon knowing wouldn't be as much of a let-down), the fact remains that she owned that song.

Away, away, cynics and naysayers. Crawl down into your bitter, boring holes, and let the rest of the world enjoy a little bit of pleasure in hard times, courtesy of Susan Boyle.

Posted by Jaylo April 23, 09 10:56 AM
  1. I could listen to Susan Boyle sing all day! Her voice is breath-taking and heavenly. No one would be able to sing like that unless blessed from above! Appearance usually matters, always have, but in Susan’s case… I could watch her sing all day! Has she received a record deal yet? I think the only CDs I’ve ever purchased was Linkin’ Park’s Hybrid Theory and Meteora; however, I’d be the first in line to get Susan’s! I would love to hear her sing sweet soul music and rhythm and blues. Her voice is unique like Duffy (Aimée Ann Duffy), a pleasure and a privilege to hear.

Posted by Shannon Fricker April 23, 09 12:53 PM
  1. susan boyle has shocked the nation its true don't jugde a book by it's cover

Posted by antthony April 24, 09 11:31 AM
  1. Did anyone notice the "Halo" that framed her head, from the stage set? Makes you think...

Posted by Louise M. April 26, 09 09:13 AM
  1. Hello. The Past is to be respected and acknoledged, but not to be worshiped. It is our future in which we will find our greatness.
    I am from Arabia and learning to read in English, give true I wrote the following sentence: "Drug alcohol mental health counseling and treatment site by eomi.Samhsa works to improve the quality and availability of substance abuse prevention, alcohol and drug addiction treatment, and mental health services."

Thanks for the help :-(, Rolanda.

Posted by drug rehab treatment in May 20, 09 04:38 PM
  1. The text in Proverbs 18:16 tells us; "A man's gift makes room for him, and brings him before great men", which is true of gifted middle-aged ladys as well. Miss Susan's amazing gift will bring her before both the great and small of this world, which has already begun, such as her pivotal appearance on Oprah, whose subsequent endorsement will prove to be very valuable. The talk show route will provide a lot of much needed exposure. The media is the thing here Stateside.I think things will level off in about a year. She has a huge following in the USA. I think once she steps onto American soil, things will take off for her in a more stable manner. She may not become "mainstream" in the sense of those like Michael Jackson, or Elton John have, but I think she will run parallel to all that in a healthy career. I think making albums and live performances will be her staple. If she can take the pressures of ongoing broadway productions, she could become a major star in that niche. Andrew Lloyd Webber is watching her with consideration. The door he would open for her would establish her career aspirations for a lifetime. A healthy fanbase will remain worldwide. The limelite comes and goes, but I think she will be very successful.

New post Reply to this post Report Abuse Edit post Delete post

Add New Post Forums » Music » Has Susan Boyle had her fifteen minutes of fame?

Questions?
    To get the most from the IrishCentral community, visit our Help Center
    tek

Posted by tadreamer July 8, 09 09:24 AM
  1. How interesting to read the naysayers of 2 months ago..........seems her hours (not minutes) of fame are indeed just beginning. I take issue with anyone who was impressed because of what they consider to be her "lack of good looks". I suppose it depends on by which standard you are judging. In my opinion, her staying power is her voice irrespective of her looks. Is she an angel, I'm sure not, nor does she pretend to be. Is she the best singer alive today. Perhaps not, again it depends on your standards. Does she have that something that is inexplicable and memorable that keeps one wanting to hear more...........definitely. I predict she will not soon be forgotten.

Posted by Carol July 8, 09 10:28 PM