Love Me | The 1975 Listen Live

'Lost' was great last night but...

Posted by Matthew Gilbert  April 30, 2009 04:54 AM

LostLogo_.jpg

... I really could have done without watching a "Star Trek" promo inflict itself onto the "Lost" title sequence. The forthcoming "Star Trek" movie is directed by "Lost" producer J.J. Abrams, and obviously there is a lot of potential audience overlap, and the promo was kind of cool, and product placement and integration is anything but shocking these days.

BUT STILL: The "Lost" logo has always been kind of sacred to me, and I hated to see it toyed with. The simplicity of the black-and-white sequence is genius, as the word "Lost" moves toward us through the void while the freaky noise gets louder. A reader once pointed out to me that the graphic in motion looks like the fortune emerging from one of those magic 8 ball toys. I love that idea, along with the other, eerier things the sequence evokes.

Again, the episode, "The Variable," was fun and revelatory, though not as tight as "The Constant." Daniel Faraday is a great character, and Jeremy Davies has really been an asset to the series. But I had to get over my annoyance in order to enjoy the hour.

Did you mind watching the "Lost" logo get co-opted?

1. I concur, Matthew. It was shocking to see the background of stars as the logo emerged. My scream of "HEY" freaked out my wife, who wasn't paying attention. Then when the Enterprise flew through, I felt kind of used...

Posted by Capt Falafel April 30, 09 07:14 AM
  1. ...PLUS, I thought the Star Trek trailer totally ripped off the first Ice Age trailer when Scrat, the sabre-toothed squirrel, chases after an acorn...

Posted by Capt Falafel April 30, 09 07:17 AM
  1. Did Farady die at the end or are we left not knowing?

Posted by Charles Whidmore April 30, 09 07:49 AM
  1. It was stupid. I'm watching LOST not a commercial. Plus it was a rip off of the Empire Strikes Back.

Posted by Garrett April 30, 09 07:57 AM
  1. Give me a break.... Choose something else to be disturbed about. Capt, you felt "used"? Get over yourself. It's a promo, big deal. The show was outstanding as usual and you guys choose to focus on a 5 second promo.

Posted by VinceT April 30, 09 07:59 AM
  1. Makes me wonder if it'll be in the dvd edition. I didn't mind so much that they put the promo in, but it certainly didn't make me want to see the movie. Some guy running, monsters chasing him - well, they aren't going to catch him, they never do. I will say the CGI of the monsters running through the snow looked good, but special effects don't make a good movie. I think not only was this directed by JJ Abrams, but written by Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse, the main Lost writers. So I'll check it out, it can't be any worse than Drew Goddard's Cloverfield.

Posted by DuhChief April 30, 09 08:07 AM
  1. Have to agree with VinceT - someone actually felt "used"? Please. It's a promo. Big deal. It's not like it was inserted in the middle of the show.

Posted by Linda April 30, 09 08:23 AM
  1. I have TiVo, I fast forwarded through it just like I do every week. Then I rewound it to watch the promo.

Looking forward to Star Trek ... and more LOST and Fringe, too! Pity no more BSG is on .... and I'm hoping that Stargate: Universe turns out to be decent, although I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by K April 30, 09 08:28 AM
  1. Not at all!!!! I thought it was sooooo cool to see the Lost logo transition into a Star Trek promo... mostly because I am stoked for the movie to come out next week. Also, while I love the intro, the fact that something was different stuck out like a sore thumb. I noticed the different background immediately. However, I wasn't expecting a Star Trek promo originally; I hoped that the change had to do with the show. And yet, the title of the episode was called "The Variable". It made sense to me that this would be the one time where the title sequence would be something different. AND I thought that the episode was amazing.

Posted by Ariana April 30, 09 08:30 AM
  1. I was more focussed on Farraday being killed by his own mother.

Posted by MJ Ternullo April 30, 09 08:38 AM
  1. The promo didn't bother me, and I enjoyed the episode. Lost continues to be one of my favorite shows of all time, and it's starting to take on a "Sixth Sense" feel for me, in that I want to go back and watch from the beginning to see all of the clues that are dropped throughout the seasons.

Posted by simpleton April 30, 09 08:44 AM
  1. WOW, get over your self matty, that has to be the worse excuse to write an article ever! What you felt like mailing one into day and decided to pick on the logo....sucker please. You let a damn opening ruin probably the best episode of lost ever?

Posted by Thanos73 April 30, 09 09:02 AM
  1. I DVR'd it, fast forwarded thru the logo and didn't even notice it. Don't think it would have bothered me if had I seen it though.

Posted by cc April 30, 09 09:30 AM
  1. Great episode last night but I have to admit, I am confused. Maybe not confused but having a brain cramp trying to pull the timeline together. This is the first season where I have not been able/willing to put my head around it but I could watch all night long. Nice reveals, Hurley and Miles are hilarious, WOW is Juliet jealous, WOW is Daniel freaky, WOW is Eloise a b*tch, Sawyer.....what has happened to my boy? And where is Mr. Linus, Sayid? This has been my least favorite season to date and I finally agree with Matthew that much has been filler, however, last night was stellar. I am not a big one on change and so I just really would like to see the old gang back on the beach/jungle and want Sawyer and Kate to make out :). Enjoy folks - only a couple left.

Posted by Kristen April 30, 09 10:07 AM
  1. The Lost logo getting co-opted was no big deal to me...but I'm still annoyed about the Star Trek Voyager episode with the WWE Smackdown crossover where 7 of 9 had to wrestle with a WWE fighter.

Posted by mongo April 30, 09 11:42 AM
  1. Best episode so far. If you watched carefully you got a lot more substance than any previous episodes. The nearly aside comments about variables/constants, etc are a HUGE DEAL, and the fact that Faraday is shot by his mother is not just a tragic occurrance, it is one of those time travel paradoxes that must occur in certain situations.. only reversed. There is some very deep content here, and this is an episode you may be coming back to on DVD to review again.

Posted by Joe April 30, 09 04:01 PM
  1. I LOVED the transition and have been trying to find a clip online. Anybody?

Posted by Stanley April 30, 09 04:14 PM