'Idol:' America's Got Talent

Posted by Joanna Weiss  April 15, 2009 09:15 PM

First, a note on Susan Boyle, the unemployed and highly-untelegenic Scot who's making the YouTube rounds after her stunning audition on "Britain's Got Talent." When, may I ask, is the last time "Idol" had a moment like that? Even Clay Aiken, I'd venture to say, wasn't as thrilling a diamond in the rough. And while Adam Lambert is brilliant enough to draw a Simon standing-O, he's polished and controlled; we expect him to be that good. Boyle is truly an underdog, and the excitement about her was palpable and absolutely sincere.

"Idol" is a different show, obviously, with a different audition process, but it's interesting to see how much it has become a showcase for struggling music-industry professionals. I still love the fantasy of finding a brilliant singer in a completely unexpected place. But by now, I doubt that will happen here.

Now onto tonight's musicians, struggling and less-so...

So we understand why Simon's in a generous mood: He was present for the Susan Boyle Experience. Still, I'm a little surprised (and increasingly irritated) that he agreed to use the judges' save for Matt. My best guess is that the judges wanted to take advantage of the save, they didn't want to feel forced into using it next week, and they like Matt better than Anoop and Lil. (I also suspect that they get to see the numbers each week, and know that Adam, Danny and Allison aren't likely to be in danger.) Still, Simon's right in saying that Matt doesn't stand a chance of winning at this point; he peaked somewhere around Country Week. It still felt like a use-it-before-you-lose-it decision. And I'm not sure I want or need to see Matt doing disco.

Agree? Disagree? Looking forward to the comments...

1. I also don't think that Matt will win it all but was very pleased that he is staying in the competition. Perhaps this will give him the wake up call and he will return to be the dark horse? At a minimum, watching him get the save actually made me more enthusiastic about watching Idol than I have in a long time. His genuine response and the judges actually handing out something positive made me enjoy the show more. Call me a sap but I like a (short-lived?) happy ending.

Posted by Jason is a Riot April 15, 09 10:12 PM
  1. You're an idiot. Matt is the 2nd best on the show next to Adam. Lil and Anoop should go next week.

Posted by Mark Kuether April 15, 09 10:24 PM
  1. It's refreshing to see someone who doesn't look like Jessica Alba or Cristina Aguilera actually hogging the limelight for a change. Susan is a breath of fresh air and shows that beauty is not just limited to one's exterior - inner beauty shines. You go Susan!

Posted by OZGOD April 15, 09 10:25 PM
  1. Wow !, Susan was something !,
    Matt is lucky, he og Lil will fall out next week.
    Noobdog will hang in on soft stable voice.

Adam will take it home !

Posted by Jarni B April 15, 09 10:28 PM
  1. HIGHLY DISAGREE. GO MATT!

Posted by Jill April 15, 09 10:29 PM
  1. THEY SAVED MATT???

wow. That's just stupid.

Posted by toots April 15, 09 11:20 PM
  1. Who cares about American Idol it's boring comparative to the Susan Boyle and Paul Potts of the world.

I was cringing watching AI so I turned off my antenna TV and watched Susan on my LCD TV (Mac Mini is connected) on YouTube.

Can't enough of her true life fairy tale story; it's refreshing and not manufactured!

Posted by Ryan April 15, 09 11:31 PM
  1. When will Susan Boyle offer a CD of some of her singing?? She she do it promptly. It would be truly be one well-worth purchasing!!!!!!!!

Posted by Mj Gillespie April 15, 09 11:33 PM
  1. Wouldn't compare the UK's Britain's Got Talent to Idol. Should be compared to it's USA clone America's got talent. Saw the Susan Boyle clip a few days ago and she is wonderful, but can she sing disco?

Posted by Otis April 16, 09 01:07 AM
  1. Terrible decision to use the one save to keep Matt. As you and everyone else has said, Matt has no chance of winning the whole thing and is in my bottom 3. Wouldn't it be awful if Allison or Danny or Adam were voted off. But as you say, the judges know the numbers before they make their comments.

Posted by Otis April 16, 09 01:12 AM
  1. They used because he's better than Lil.

Posted by timothyjok April 16, 09 01:46 AM
  1. Using the save to keep Matt hanging around was likely, as you say, a "use it before you lose it" move. The judges would be expected to use it next week (last chance) and maybe were thinking ahead about not wanting to save whoever was going to be voted out.

Personally, I don't enjoy Matt's shtick, and I doubt very much he'll be around come top three time (Adam, Allison, Kris).

Kris has been better each week and is very likable. He should win this thing (Sorry Adam).

Posted by And Now This April 16, 09 03:25 AM
  1. Matt unfortunately is not a performer. He looks like a nice kid and tries very hard, but he looks scared to death every single week. When he busts out his Justin Timberlake-like dance moves (which are coordinated and much better than the average American guy), he looks like he's shaking. Nobody wants to watch a performer who is nervous and terrified; it's uncomfortable for all involved.

But, the judges had to use the save. Danny, Kris, Adam, and Allison are all top contenders. Once it gets down to those four, saves are worthless because someone has to go at some point.; you've already reached maximum capacity of talent. Lil Rounds and Anoop are nowhere near worth saving. Matt shows some promise, so the judges needed to use it now.

Posted by Tim Pitta April 16, 09 05:49 AM
  1. Jennifer Hudson is one talented woman, but that song was awful.
    Miley Cyrus...stick to the bubblegum pop/rock. Ballads are not your strong suit. If the Gong Show were still around (nobody will get that reference), she'd have lasted about ten seconds last night. Where's Gene Gene The Dancing Machine when you need him? Or the Unknown Comic?
    Anoop didn't deserve to be in the bottom three. But, between Lil and Matt, either of them could have gone. Saving Matt is just prolonging the agony.
    Disco night next week...oh boy. Adam could shine...he can shriek higher than the Bee Gees in their prime. Should be interesting. But, what's Danny gonna sing?

Posted by mattal1958 April 16, 09 05:53 AM
  1. The save was a joke. Simon seemed forced into agreeing on the save by Paula and Kara, who were both shaking their groove thing (while Randy and Simon were discussing Matt's fate) during his performance last night. Has someone informed them that they are judges and not just part of the audience?

Simon was absolutely right. Matt has been in the bottom 3 now 3 times. Haven't got the clue that this is Matt's time? All they have done is given Matt one week and used a save that could have saved someone else next week. As Simon pointed out, next week is disco week and that can even throw off some of the stronger singers.

As for the other contestants who celebrated around Matt after the save was announced, be careful what you wish for. No one is going to save you any more.

As for the clip on BTG, it is a must see. The reaction of the judges is priceless.

Posted by EdA April 16, 09 06:00 AM
  1. I totally agree that this use of the save was to use it so they would have one next year as well. It was choreographed and engineered for the drama(?) and for the ratings. Right now at this stage no one deserved to be saved least of all Matt - he lasted way too long already.

Posted by FRS April 16, 09 06:04 AM
  1. Be careful, is all I can say... She's White . Do you want to be called Racist ?

Posted by Puck 101 April 16, 09 06:08 AM
  1. Thanks for sharing that Susan Boyle clip. The Brits have got it all over us when it comes to that kind of stuff. American Idol would not be as popular if the show was structured the same way. If you aren't young and hot, we ain't interested. We'll goof on Norman Gentle, but that's as fas as we'll go. Can you imagine an American Idol pulling off that song or most of the American audience knowing where it came from? Music from the movies brought us not a single classic from even the day before yesterday. "La Miser-What?"
    I think Simon doesn't like it so much over here. Didn't he look alot more relaxed and a lot less sour in that clip?
    I hope Simon didn't mis-calculate by blowing the save on Matt. You're right, he wouldn't have used it on Anoop or Lil based on the body of work and especially Lil's struggles, but I fear Allison could drop any week and if it's next week they can't save her now since they foolishly used it on someone who can't win. I thought that was the point.
    How many Donna Summer songs do you think? A lot, I hope. Why oh why disco?
    The show becomes a bigger train wreck every week.

Posted by Glory Bee April 16, 09 06:25 AM
  1. I really like Clay Aiken, and yes I got that "amazing" feeling form him the first time I saw him sing. That is what used to make American Idol a great show to me.
    I don't watch it anymore because many of the contestants are "ringers". I preferred the show when it was about real talent undiscovered not has beens with experience who need name recognition. Not people that the industry put on American Idol to make a buck. Bottom line in my opinion, American Idol is passé for me. I loved that Susan Boyle is an undiscovered real singing talent. That is what makes for exciting TV.

Posted by Laurie April 16, 09 06:49 AM
  1. Yeah, I'm baffled by this move. Matt is a good singer, but he's just not as good as some of the others. Waste of the save, now we risk having 2 very talented people getting voted off next week...

Posted by J April 16, 09 06:55 AM
  1. i think the other judges talked him into saving matt. if it was lil in the bottom i personally don't think they would have saved her. how do you tell someone they are never going win the competition and come back and sing next week. but now they must git rid of two people next week so that will be interesting

Posted by susanne April 16, 09 06:55 AM
  1. HOORAY FOR MATT!

Posted by TDAWG April 16, 09 07:07 AM
  1. Sorry to Say that Simon gave Clay Aiken the first standing O during Clay's Wild choice ancore performance of " Don't let the Sun come Down on Me". You can see Simone and all 3 judges stood up in the background. Adam made a comment that Simon gave him the first ever Standing O which is not true which is like bragging to the whole world on stage.
    Adam is a professional Actor and older .Back then in 2003 age limited for was 24 years of age and non-professionals.were not allowed. Rules change since Season 4

Posted by Jeanne April 16, 09 07:12 AM
  1. I agree....as much as I think Matt is a better singer than Anoop and Lil, I think "saving" him is futile at this point especially with disco week coming up. I was so sure Simon was going to send him home.

Posted by Wichita April 16, 09 07:15 AM
  1. AGREE 100% - Adam is in a league of his own. Allison is a respectable 2nd. Gokey became boring somewhere along the way but he still deserves 3rd.

Posted by AL April 16, 09 07:22 AM
  1. Thanks Simon, I lost a bet! Or maybe it doesn't count because I did pick Matt to go. Never thought the judges would use the save an Idol spin for Matt. Alison, while a great singer, has been in bottom three enough times to hold the save for her. At least going forward none of the contestants have to sing for their lives; a really crass thing to make them do anyway. As for disco week; Lil has a chance to remind the judges why she was picked in the first place. Not sure Alison has the voice for disco so it will all hinge on her song choice. Danny, who did well with PYT could do OK plus no disco songs about heaven and dead people. Kris will fair well since he appears to be the most flexible. Can Adam Led Zeppelin up a disco song? If not, he needs to channel George Michael. Anoop might do OK since he has the hip-hop thing going for him in the past but might come off again as too Karaoke. Matt might also do OK in the disco genre but think doesn’t matter since his time on Idol is short lived.

Posted by A Dingo Ate My Baby April 16, 09 07:26 AM
  1. American Idol and I am sure the British version can over cynical and munufactured talent but Susan Boyle is the real thing.

Posted by Nobbielab April 16, 09 07:27 AM
  1. This was a ratings stunt. It made no sense to me. They are going to vote two people off next week, why avoid the inevitable? This new rule stinks. Let the country speak.

Posted by Maureen April 16, 09 07:29 AM
  1. @puck101: You're right about YOU being racist. Have you never noticed ALL of us vote that way? Is it not a reflection of our racist attitudes? Perhaps they did not tell you that on Fox.

Go Matt, go AWAY! Take Lil with you. Whoever thinks Allison is good is nuts. She's got a couple more years to get ready. If her voice is this hoarse at 16, wonder if she'll be done singing by age 18. Let her go back and prepare. She's got good potential, but needs to work a lot more.

Noopdog rocks but Adam should win!

Posted by Dennis April 16, 09 07:31 AM
  1. The Suan Boyle clip- truly stunning. What makes it most incredible is that it happens in front of a huge studio audience. That couldn't even happen on AI- the auditions are done for just the judges so we are exposed to the diamonds in the rough before they hit the stage (not to mention the age).

Regarding the save: I really thought on Tuesday that this is the week they'd use it because it's about to expire. I wonder if the judges now wished they'd used it way back when for Alexis Grace. Since then Lil and Matt have gone backwards and if we're being honest only Kris (and maybe Anoop) have progressed. No offense to the Adam, Danny, Allison fans but seriously, are they any better now than they were in week 10?

Disco Week- perhaps they can all cheat like Bo Bice did and sing songs from the 70s that aren't actually disco songs (clearly I'm still bitter about this).

Posted by FinnFann April 16, 09 07:38 AM
  1. Agree

Posted by julie April 16, 09 07:39 AM
  1. Thanks for spreading the Susan Boyle news - I saw the clip last on YouTube night and think she is amazing. I hope that she goes far and has the success that she dreams of. She deserves it. (I read somewhere last night that Simon has already signed her, but I have no idea if it is true or not . . . )
    On to AI . . . I agree that the save was a "use it or lose it" call.
    I think Matt has had great performances, but not in the past few weeks. I think he's been the victim of the judges telling him to try something and then them not liking the result.
    Lil just seems to have lost it, and she is WAY too arrogant. I don't think the contestants should be allowed to discuss the criticism with the judges. Just take it and smile/nod and move on.
    Anoop, I hope you can find the right Disco song.
    Allison, I agree with others that you've got potential, but aren't quite there yet (aren't my cup of tea, either, so to speak)
    Chris is growing on me. I think he could be "marketable" too, which the judges like.
    Danny - I'm over him. I think he's gotten too arrogant, too. He needs his audition buddy to bring him back down to earth.
    Adam, again not my cup of tea, but I think he's got talent. He'll do something crazy with Disco week, I'm sure. Right up his theatrical alley . . .

Posted by Wednesday AM QB April 16, 09 08:12 AM
  1. Puck 101 (#17)- I sincerely don't even get your reference. What do you mean?

Posted by FinnFann April 16, 09 08:21 AM
  1. I just want to know when Lil is going home. She should have gone last night. I'm happy Matt is staying. He deserves it.

Posted by Barbie's Dream House April 16, 09 08:23 AM
  1. I think Simon just wanted to get rid of the stupid save thing for the rest of the show so it wouldn't be such a bit deal each time someone was eliminated.

Posted by Elly April 16, 09 08:25 AM
  1. "Susan Boyle could never happen on AI" -- it's a false comparison on multiple levels, apples and oranges. For one thing, she's too old to appear on Idol. She COULD happen on "America's Got Talent," which is the proper counterpart to the show she appeared on in Britain. And puh-leeze for all of you who are using Boyle as a way to bash on Idol -- do you think that if she WERE on Idol, singing pop songs and the like, that you would EVER vote for her, no matter how good her voice?

Posted by alex April 16, 09 08:27 AM
  1. Yeah, they really didn't have a choice about the save, this week was "use it or lose it".

The chosen ones were not going to be in the bottom next week.
    If they had to save Anoop or Lil next week, no way they could say they were better than the kids still sitting on the couches.
    They still need to play the silly top 7 game where one player has to pick the group with Three Losers.
    And if the save was around next week, everyone would know it was Free Spin, and so Disco week would be even more of a train wreck than it surely will be.

Does any of this have anything to do with Matt Giraud? Precious little, he is proving to be this year's Michael Johns, we know he's got the chops but he's not bringing it to the show. Meanwhile Kris Allen improves weekly. Nothing would make me happier than for Matt to step up and knock it out of the park next week.

Posted by NHMusicLover April 16, 09 08:31 AM
  1. when the judges are deliberating for the save, they are not even paying attention to who's singing. such a joke. they should at least pretend to be listening, then deliberate. you know, like the whole show is done.

Posted by Megan April 16, 09 08:36 AM
  1. I am glad they saved Matt, because even though he is not going to win, he does deserve to be there one more week. And it will make the next few weeks full of surprises, since Allison, Danny, and Adam won't be able to feel the confidence knowing they would definitely be saved if they received the least number of votes.

I also wonder how Adam would sound without the music, without the light show. Bo Bice stripped it down and proved he could sing. Adam, it seems, needs to reply on the light show as well as his screeching final note in order to come across as having a "great show."

I also agree on Jennifer Hudson. Great sound. Horrible song. And a few weeks ago someone made the comment about the stand-ins for the judges during performances. I noticed it last night during Hudson's performance. It's more realistic to just leave the table empty, guys.

Just my $.02.

Posted by Jodi April 16, 09 08:45 AM
  1. If you could vote against someone I would vote against Danny Gokey as many times as my phone would allow. Absolutely ridiculous he is still on this show.

Posted by Christine April 16, 09 08:52 AM
  1. I have news for all ,especially for a post from a Laura earlier . As far as Susan Boyle goes from BGT show . She was found by the show to be on. She did not approach it. Her words on Fox news, speaking by phone to Meg Kelly. With that said the woman is incredible when she opens up her vocals. She can sing for sure.Go Susan!

Posted by Patti April 16, 09 09:09 AM
  1. Matt is my fave. I'm so glad that he was saved. I hope Anoop and Lil go next week. It's irritating that the judges seem to already be decided on who should be in the final (Danny, Adam). Matt totally has a shot... he's great! GO MATT.

Posted by bootsy April 16, 09 09:17 AM
  1. Matt is B-O-R-I-N-G. I can't believe they used the save to actually just pump up ratings instead of waiting (Well, I guess I can, really.). Why would they HAVE to use the save anyway, if the people deserve to go? Why use it on someone that you think could never win the competition? Matt gosta go, along with Lil and Anoop. None of those three are star material. Don't kid yourself into thinking otherwise. SORRY! [in Simonesque pronunciation!]

Posted by Braddo April 16, 09 09:19 AM
  1. Agreed, Matt has no chance of winning, and that the judges felt pressure to use it so that it becomes relevant. Still, I think they should have waited until next week given that it's disco week and there's a chance for anyone to bomb.

I think this season will also prove that having a save that expires on the final six is completely useless. By that point it is unlikely that a top contender will be sent home -- it wouldn't have saved Daughtry even though he's the one that every thinks of when the topic of the save comes up. It needs to go to the final four, even if it means getting rid of the double-vote-off the following week.

On the upside, it gives twice the chance to ditch Anoop! Even on his best nights he's still too boring to make it out of the bottom 3...

Posted by Tibbs April 16, 09 09:39 AM
  1. I completely agree with Barbie's dreamhouse! =p

Posted by tdawg April 16, 09 09:50 AM
  1. I was dissappointed by the save. I think Simon caved - he even stated that he did not sing it as well the second time. (Though I think he sang better). It seemed forced and rushed. I think they figured the two that are supposed to go next week, will, (hmmm - rythmes will Lil) and they just got the save over with this week ,... Glad Anoop made it! :)

Posted by virtualamy April 16, 09 09:53 AM
  1. A save for one week and next week two get dropped ,what a shame that Lil has dropped so fast she has potential but you can see Jennifer Hudson is living proof that the voters are clueless teenagers who vote for the young guys.Let 's be serious if any of the guys win it is one cd and done,Adam is doing every can he can to win and the way it looks he probably will but I think Allison has more raw talent than Adam and could really do well when it is over.The final three should be Adam ,Allison,and Lil but to many love struck teenagers are voting for looks and not real talent.Alexis Grace still got jobbed and still has more talent than a slob like Danny.

Posted by Mark Grace April 16, 09 09:53 AM
  1. Agreed....

Posted by Duffy April 16, 09 09:54 AM
  1. Anoop has got a way better voice than Matt or Chris or the two women and this competition is not only about singing talent but about your personality and stage presence as well. Amazing how people are like sheep and happily bash Anoop saying he is boring and not worth keeping. Listen to his voice because in the end, it is going to be about the songs you buy, not the video you watch.

Posted by John P April 16, 09 09:57 AM
  1. I think this is all so contrived. All very well choreographed. Even Simon's comment to Kris that he was fantastic was designed to stir things up. They always do this about this time in the show. Most feel it's a foregone conclusion that Adam is going to win (yuck!) so to keep it interesting they're throwing out a few curveballs. Anoop, Lil, Matt, will be in the bottom three again next week and Lil and Matt will go home. Anoop will shed a few tears and get ready to leave the following week. Allison is a mess. Her voice is interesting but she needs a stylist in the worst way. Kris is darling but is he marketable. We're stuck with Adam.
    siou

Posted by sioux April 16, 09 09:58 AM
  1. I'll say it again, Keep Adam and Allison and send everybody else home. I wish she had given a better performance.

When the Hell was Danny Gokey ever any good. The whole thing was set up for him. The AI producers set you up and now take the fall.

They were the AI favorites NOT America's favorites. You got to pick 9 people. And Gokey was shoved down your throat every week leading up to the vote.

Posted by Ben Karkis April 16, 09 10:08 AM
  1. I can't stand Adam! He's too over the top and should stick to Broadway.
    Anoop has been killing it these past few weeks.
    I agree that Danny became lost in the shuffle.

Next week when you watch Idol, pay attention to the light shows. Adam gets far better effects than anyone else on the show. It adds to his performance and tricks people into thinking his performance was better than it really was. Don't get me wrong, he can sing, but I find him terribly obnoxious.

Posted by Matt April 16, 09 10:18 AM
  1. Interesting how the show employed some changes for this year that haven't turned out to be beneficial to the show: 4th Judge and Save. Kara adds ZERO to the show. I might agree that a different personality would florish, but she aint the one. I think it makes us cherish the three that brung us...good or bad. It's entertainment for gd sake. The save became a red herring. Every time it was there to use, the truth spoke loudly about the contestant: GO HOME!!! Matt doesn't have it to go all the way (and Kris kicks his butt)...Why use the save at all if the situation dictates so? Would the producers use the save for Kara? Don't they do polling research on her likability and effectiveness?
    Also, we copy the Brits incessantly. And why not? They do things pretty well without the Hollywood BS. And that includes humor. Susan Boyle looks like a charactor on one of those UK PBS shows: "Upstare, Downstare: Lift Eyes". Understated is a trait we in the USA can not accept. GSTQ.

Posted by jkstraw April 16, 09 10:30 AM
  1. I agree totally with Joanna. The save was a tactic which worked as you can see. Matt is not worth savings and I hope it doesn't backfire on us and two good people go home. Disco week could wreak havoc with the singers. (i.e. Like Lil on Country Western night) I like Disco music for the dancing/beat it provides not the vocals. Tune in next week for a very interesting week. How do you make Disco songs "your own" anyway?

Posted by Benjisgirl April 16, 09 10:40 AM
  1. Saving Matt will make the show even more exciting. Next week, the fanbases of each contestant will be voting like mad. I really don't think performances matter anymore. We will see who has the least amount of fans voting for their fav. I would say Danny, Adam and Kris are shoe-ins. Allison, Matt, Lil and Anoop will need their fans to vote like crazy.
    For this reason I wish they would change the rules where viewers can only vote a number of times like they do on "Dancing with the Stars."

Posted by AI lover April 16, 09 10:40 AM
  1. Adam sucks and the judges are on their knees for him every week.

If he wins I will NEVER watch the show again.

Go Danny, Go Matt!!

Posted by Pete Sampson April 16, 09 10:45 AM
  1. It just doesn't matter, Adam winning this time is just so obvious, he is head and shoulders above everyone else, not even a competition.

Posted by Osteama April 16, 09 11:02 AM
  1. If you are judging this based on the quality of a singers voice; it's Adam and Anoop...
    Adam's range is out of this world, he knows how to use his vocal chords and he's talented enough to know how to manipulate the songs to show them off. Anoop has a very smooth voice, their is definate star quality, you can hear it. Just maybe not star presence. If it wasnt' for the few bad songs choices, would we still be saying 'Anoop should go home?' Kris is the poster boy. With a nice voice. That girls love and the older woman can talk about at work, he could make the top three easily. Allison is not damaging her voice, she has a raspy singing voice; though her outfits are cute, she could use a stylist to help guide her. The judges are right though, she's the only chance for the girls. Danny, good voice, like Adam, he knows how to pick songs (though at times boring) and he knows how to sing them. The only edge that Danny has over Adam, is that to an older generation that might be watching he is more likeable, again no star or it factor.... Lil, i feel bad for her.. She has a powerful voice, but doen't know what to do with it. Wasn't there a round where the judges pick the songs the contestents should sing? That's the only thing that would have saved her.. Matt's voice is smokey but lacks any star quality.
    I think it's unpredictable who's going to win.. If people think that Adam is safe, he could lose votes and go home especially now that the stupid 'save' is over.

Posted by Jewls April 16, 09 12:08 PM
  1. wasn't Carrie Underwood an undiscovered farm girl and not a struggling music industry professional? Not sure about Clarkson.

They had to use the save this week - to generate interest, and to not be forced to use it next week on someone totally undeserving. Now they'll be down to five after next week and it will finally turn into a competition. I say that because at this point, nobody that shouldn't have gone home has gone home.

Posted by booboski April 16, 09 12:29 PM
  1. Agree - Matt won't win the competition - and I love Simons honesty, but he is as good if not better than Lil and Anoop - thus I understand why Simon agreed to the Save - just have to hope it does not back fire next week when two contestants are voted off!
    Fav's for the last four, Danny, Allison, Chris and Adam. They are all good - Allison reminds me of a female Rod Stewart -

Posted by Clara April 16, 09 12:44 PM
  1. I fregging LOVE ALLISON She will win It! GO ALLISON ALLISON ALLISON. Matt is Good But Kris is only good Sometimes. Adam is Annoying....Lil is good but not great, Danny is another Favorite! GO danny and Allison!

Posted by Meg April 16, 09 12:50 PM
  1. I'm glad they saved Matt. Even if he doesn't win the competition, he definitely deserves to be there another week. I, for one, cannot stand Danny. He is way too boring and predictable. He has a good voice, but so do a lot of people. He doesn't bring anything else to the table.
    I really like Adam and Allison. I think they are both very talented. I would like Adam to win, but would be fine if Allison won too.

Posted by Kerri April 16, 09 12:50 PM
  1. Waste of the save. Totally a "use-it-or-lose-it" move. Matt will be in the bottom 3 next week along with Lil and Anoop. Again. And he'll be voted off. Again. I think they should have used the save weeks ago to save Alexis, who was either THE best or the second best of the girls in the Top 13, but suffered the consequences of one sub-par performance.

Posted by ATeam April 16, 09 02:14 PM
  1. He can shriek alright. But a BEE GEE he certainly is not. Not even close....

Posted by Carlos April 16, 09 02:23 PM
  1. I pretty much agree 100% with Joanna. It definitely felt like use it or loose it. Matt's arguably the best person to be voted off so far, so it wasn't an outrageous choice. Still, he, Anoop, and Lil are likely to be the next three to go, and the order doesn't matter a whole lot.

I think Anoop has got one of the best voices in the competition, but he hasn't got a very distinctive voice or much stage presence. I also think his lack of experience vs. Adam or Allison (who has already been on and won Quinceañera, a reality show on Telemundo) has really hurt him. I think if he had a little more experience he would know what sort of music suits him without being so boring. Kris, in comparison, seems to be a natural (and his looks don't hurt either).

Posted by two sheds April 16, 09 02:31 PM
  1. I still don't get the Adam love. He's done two great songs but has had two horrible performances of great rock songs (Ring of Fire and Born To Be Wild). He comes off as arrogant and full of himself, not just confident. And we get it, you can hit the "pants too tight" high note, but it doesn't need to be in every song. Really don't see what the judges like so much about him.

Posted by Mr. Jones April 16, 09 03:13 PM
  1. John P said "Listen to his voice because in the end, it is going to be about the songs you buy, not the video you watch."

You obviously have no clue about the music industry and are new to watching Idol. It's all about the overall performance, not just the vocals. In order to make a splash and gain fans, an artist has to deliver a total package (vocals, stage craft, personality, style, uniqueness etc). Anoop has made little progress on most of this -- or have you missed the fact that he's been in the bottom 3 for the past two weeks that the judges have given him + reviews?

Music is a business. No fans = no sales = no Anoop.

Posted by Tibbs April 16, 09 03:58 PM
  1. She has the voice that only heaven has been privy to until this time. She deserves to live the dream that she sang in 'I had a dream '. How appropriate. There is a depth to her which we have only seen a small sample. Best wishes and keep singing. You were like a bird whose cage had been left open, you flew but you are where you now wish to be. You are still able to return to that cage because you know you can leave and return at any time you wish.

Posted by Froggy April 16, 09 08:54 PM
  1. Adam has it all over the other contestants. He has stage presence, style, looks and can sing the pants off any of them. The next in line are Allison and Kris. Danny Gokey is OK but he is starting to sound like he only sings one type of song like that beatbox kid last year. As for the others, they are good but not THAT good. Disco week should be interesting and I can't wait to see what songs they all pick. Lil will probably go with a Donna Summer song and I can hear Anoop singing "How Deep is Your Love." What will Allison and Adam sing? The save was very predictable. They must have had it planned all along to use it 4 weeks before the finale for whoever was the loser this week. I thought Lil should have gone before Matt. I think she thought she was out as well. And by the way, Susan Boyle is awesome. I'm glad she's getting a chance to shine.

Posted by Idol Fan #1 April 17, 09 07:49 AM
  1. I am very surprised that they used the save on Matt. They weren't required to use it at all. What if Alison gets booted next week, for example? She has been a visitor to the bottom three. She obviously doesn't have a built in audience the way some others might. She has to kill every week in order to survive (she usually does, but I worry that she may not be as "popular" as, say, Chris or Danny). To me, Allison and clearly Adam have the best artistic upside. Danny has a wonderful voice, but has only been derivative. I haven't been a great fan of Chris, a lightweight, but him taking on a quiet gem, "Falling Slowly" from "Once" (if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor -- one of the best films of the decade) was courageious and he did a pretty good job with it.

Posted by Actor/MusicianJeff April 17, 09 09:11 AM
  1. Susan is the most sensation one of all she is an angel in disguise her voice is so beautiful she got to win she is the best and she doesnt have to sing disco she is one of a kind and when god created Susan he broked the mole cause she is the one that will win.you go Susan.aloha form Hawaii.

Posted by pearl quintal April 17, 09 09:06 PM
  1. I don't know who is a "has-been" on AI this year, but for da*n sure it isn't Adam Lambert!
    As for those thinking either Kris or Matt is better: Good on ya. Bet you don't drive five miles to see either, or even buy a ticket.

Posted by wdd April 20, 09 06:52 PM
  1. Vote Adam! Thank you all the haters for posting comments about Adam you make him more popular and talked about with every post. Vote for Adam the AI winner.

Posted by VoteforAdam April 21, 09 08:00 AM