'BSG:' My evil twin

Posted by Joanna Weiss  February 28, 2009 11:22 AM

This was one of my favorite "Battlestar Galactica" episodes in recent memory (and please don't read on if you haven't watched it yet). The stakes were high, the plot was advanced, and yet the focus was on the characters, and we learned a lot about Starbuck, Tyrol, and of course, manipulative Boomer. I'd like to think Boomer meant a lot of what she said to Tyrol, about the realness of their love and the fantasy she kept of their life together. (And what a touching moment, when Tyrol learned that his fantasy life included a daughter.) But probably not. She's as manipulative as Cavil, and what she did to Helo and Athena -- not kidnapping her daughter, but that other thing -- was truly malevolent. And what are the bad Cylons' plans for Hera? If she inherently knows the music to "All Along the Watchtower," what else does she know? And did Roslin just die, knowing that she's gone? I haven't watched the previews, on purpose.

Still, my favorite parts of the episode were the tender and haunting piano-player scenes -- along with the ghostly twist in the end -- which helped to cement why Starbuck remains my favorite female character on television today. She's swashbuckling and sarcastic, she can kick mutineer butt and save her friends, but she's also inherited a sensitive side from her musician-Cylon father. Because, is there any doubt now that Daniel is her dad, the artist who disappeared and never called or wrote? And do the bad Cylons know that already? Was Cavil watching him all along, before he was boxed?

1. It was a great episode! I cannot believe there's only 3 episodes left! The original BSG had the Ship of Lights. I am wondering if Daniel could be one those "lights".

Posted by JMM0425 March 1, 09 11:15 AM
  1. These final episodes seem to generate more questions than they answer. (Arrrrggggghhhh!!!!)

I will be very sad when the series ends. Very sad indeed.

Posted by RH March 1, 09 12:02 PM
  1. Wow. I think you might be a genius. Like all fans, I've been wondering what Starbuck is -- obviously neither a normal human, nor a cylon. And I've been wondering who Daniel could be. Making her a half-cylon could make sense. But does this mean that half-cylons can be resurrected like full cylons can? How can you explain the existence of both a Starbuck corpse and a living Starbuck? I just hope in the end (and I'm not hoping FOR the end!) that the writers do have a plan, as they used to claim the Cylons once did. (Actually having Boomer kidnap Hera makes me think that the Cylons and the writers still do have a plan!)

Posted by Zareh March 1, 09 12:59 PM
  1. just about the best show on television.... great show, and this years is easily the best since the first few episodes of season 1.. I don't pretend to even think that deeply about the show, but I will say that once I start watching i never want it to end.. thanks

Posted by Matt March 1, 09 01:04 PM
  1. I loved the portion of the episode involving Daniel as the piano player and Starbuck's dad. So is Starbuck a skin job?

Posted by BosHawk March 1, 09 01:46 PM
  1. I'm starting to think Starbuck was the woman Anders was playing to on Earth.

Posted by allie March 1, 09 01:54 PM
  1. My name is Daniel. May be I'm Kara's father?

Seriously, I'm not sure I have all the information to interpret your blog post, but is one possible implication, here, that Kara might actually be a hybrid like Hera?

Posted by Daniel March 1, 09 03:34 PM
  1. Good idea about Daniel being Starbuck's father; I was thinking that Cavil might cynically have placed Daniel's consciousness into Starbuck (the frustrated artist), to "teach a lesson," as Cavil did with the original/final five. But having Daniel be her father makes more sense. Easily the best and most thought-provoking show on television.

Posted by Jim March 1, 09 04:55 PM
  1. Did anyone else notice that the tape Starbuck retrieved from Helo was of her father's performance...at the Opera House?

Posted by egads March 1, 09 05:01 PM