Hello 'Lipstick'!? Goodbye 'Monk'

Posted by Matthew Gilbert  November 18, 2008 06:19 AM

lipstick_jungle.jpg

What's this? "Lipstick Jungle" may not be cancelled after all, although it remains very much on the bubble. According to the New York Times, last Friday's airing of the Brooke Shields series showed enough life to inspire NBC to issue a stay of execution. The rabid fan support -- which has including mailing lipstick tubes to NBC -- and Shields' denial have also surely helped in this maybe-resurrection. NBC's Ben Silverman says the network will finish filming the last of the 13 episodes it originally ordered, and it may order more if the show “grows more.”

Meanwhile, USA has announced that the highly rated "Monk" will film only one more season, its eighth, which will air next summer. According to E!, the series finale will address the series-long mystery about the death of Monk's wife, Trudy.

1. Got to love Monk

Posted by Ryan November 18, 08 08:02 AM
  1. Classic illustration of the current state of the Boston Globe. Multiple online postings regarding the "fate" of a television show. Worse than that, it's a popular article because we are still so fixated on sitting like zombies in front of a glowing retangular box (or flat panel) by ourselves each night. Ugh.

Pass the bon bons and the Us magazine!

Posted by Macy Shields November 18, 08 08:17 AM
  1. This is a chick flick. Let us enjoy the beauty of it. I'm 71 years old and love every waking minute. There certainly are some horrid series hanging on for years, especially the idiocy and forced comedy of Monk and the George Lopez sitcom. At least Lipstick is refreshing!

Posted by Saundra November 18, 08 08:55 AM
  1. Good News!!!

Posted by Ellen November 18, 08 09:17 AM
  1. Thank God there's hope for LJ! After a week of getting beat up at the office, watching LJ is as satisfying a mental break as reading People Magazine while getting a pedicure.

Posted by mrsP November 18, 08 09:18 AM
  1. I love lipstick jungle please don't cancel it. I am a faithful watcher. give it a little more time and i am sure that more people with tune in.
    thanks
    LJ fanatic

Posted by Carol Duffy November 18, 08 09:29 AM
  1. This is a great show - my wife watches it but I've seen it a few times. Really guys, I only watch it 'cos she does ;). Well OK I like Brooke Shields - think she's funny and smart. Good looking too. Anyway, hopefully they give it a little more of a chance.

Posted by CT November 18, 08 09:35 AM

Posted by CT November 18, 08 09:36 AM
  1. Email your comments to NBC directly to encourage them to keep airing these shows!! Any fans of My Own Worst Enemy are encouraged to do the same!! I would hate to see Lipstick or Enemy get pulled.

Posted by JSA November 18, 08 10:00 AM
  1. Monk never recovered from the loss of Sharona. Their on camera chemistry was perfection.

Posted by elizabetsy November 18, 08 10:10 AM
  1. In light of the current economic/financial crisis in this country, I urge all fans to take the time to email comments to NBC in order to save "Lipstick Jungle".

Together, we can!

Posted by O. Bease Hauswaif November 18, 08 10:18 AM
  1. Sherona was the real star of "MONK"---why did she leave the show?

Posted by CAT November 18, 08 10:31 AM
  1. I love lipstick and Monk
    Don't cancel either one of them.
    Thanks

Posted by vicky November 18, 08 10:48 AM
  1. I love this show! I usually watch it online instead of when it is aired. Do they take this into consideration I wonder or those who DVR it as well?

Posted by Shellyc November 18, 08 10:50 AM
  1. Im disappointed that Monk is leaving the air but happy that we will finally figure out who killed Trudy. Monk has suffered enough.

Posted by Matt November 18, 08 10:53 AM
  1. OK Ladies we need to stick together. This is a great show with a great cast.
    Let's give NBC a piece of our mind!

Posted by funandsun November 18, 08 10:56 AM
  1. MY WHOLE FAMILY LOVES MONK. I VERY UPSET OVER THIS THIS W/B THE LAST SEASON.

Posted by MICHELLE DWYER November 18, 08 10:57 AM
  1. Yay! LJ is one of my favorite escapes!

We do need to stick together ladies!

Posted by TVK November 18, 08 11:25 AM
  1. Hey Marcy...I know its a long two-paragraphs, but I wouldn't really consider this an 'article'. Also, you fit the criteria of the modern phenomenon involving miserable people that use the mask of the internet to try to let off some steam stemming from having a miserable life.

Your point was overblown. Get a life and pass the bon-bons, lol.

Posted by Marcys Divorced Hubby November 18, 08 11:46 AM
  1. Yes. I agree. Lets give NBC a piece of our mind. I love the show. I like how it actually focuses on their work and careers, instead of keeping it in the background like Sex and the City did. The cast is beautiful, their clothe is fun, and its just a great little frivolous treat to watch once a week.

Posted by NA November 18, 08 11:58 AM
  1. I LOVE Love LOVE Lipstick Jungle I look forward to it all week long. I hope they don't cancel it. There are so many other ones they can take off the air instead!

Posted by Ronda in CA November 18, 08 12:01 PM
  1. I agree.

Matthew Gilbert, the Boston Globe, and Boston.com, please do not cancel our show!!!!

Posted by Margie November 18, 08 12:09 PM
  1. Marcy is correct. It is pathetic to dedicate online space to discuss mediocre entertainment fare. Even more pathetic to be a consumer of said entertainment. No wonder our kids are overweight and dumb. All we do is sit in front of the TV and zone out.

It is deplorable and I urge the Globe to stop spending resources on this type of article, if it can be called article at all.

Posted by Anna K November 18, 08 01:08 PM
  1. First the Starbucks near me closed (Don't even get me started about how I can't even like deal with driving my kids around in the SUV without my caffiene!!) and now you guys go and cancel my show?!?!? Talk to the hand, NBC!!!

Posted by Mitzy S. Calade November 18, 08 01:15 PM
  1. i watch monk because of natalie. she's hot.

Posted by joe p November 18, 08 01:25 PM
  1. Thank goodness NBC finally came to their senses with Lipstick Jungle. When you create a wannabe show all you get is disappointment. Remember Ferris Bueller the TV Show?....Exactly.

As for Monk, I agree it took a turn downhill once Sharona left.

Posted by Joan November 18, 08 01:26 PM
  1. Hey Macy (not Marcy) and her supporters...today I read about the state of the $700B bailout, NASA's Mars Rover, Endeavor and the crew of the Space Station, nanoparticles and their bacteria-fighting properties, and Pedroia's MVP award. There was plenty of room on the Internet for all of that AND this short piece on Monk and Lipstick Jungle.

You didn't have to read the story, let alone post on it. Get a life.

Posted by An Educated NON-SNOB November 18, 08 01:36 PM
  1. LIPSTICK JUNGLE IS AWESOME .. I DIDNT EVEN GET IN TO IT UNTIL THIS YEAR MY FRIENDS KEPT ENCOURAGING ME TO WATCH AND I DID AND I LOVE IT!!! BROOKE & THE GIRLS ARE VERY REFRSHING & REAL TO LIFE!! SOMETIMES THINGS JUST TAKE TIME.. LEAVE IT ON !!!!

Posted by PAMELA November 18, 08 02:17 PM
  1. I love Lipstick Jungle. It has become my new favorite show. How can they take it off the air? And why did they put in on Friday night? Leave it on during the week and it will do really well!!

Posted by Catherine Kincaid November 18, 08 02:17 PM
  1. There will never be anyone on television like Monk. He was quite a character. God speed, Monk. You and all your various tics will surely be missed. Saturdays will never be the same.

Posted by Julie B November 18, 08 02:43 PM
  1. Could never get past 10 minutes of Lipstick Jungle. What junk! Just a pallid version of Sex and the City. Will really miss Monk, it was a great character but I think it was missing something when Sharona left.

Posted by Michelle2112 November 18, 08 03:28 PM
  1. I cannot believe that they are going to cancel Monk. My whole family watches the show also.

Posted by John November 18, 08 03:47 PM
  1. A show about a bunch of slutty pigs who value money, social climbing, and every other shallow quality that is destroying the American woman. Great, keep this on,

Posted by Bob Abooey November 18, 08 03:59 PM
  1. loved monk the first couple of years. sharona was the bomb. have tried to like it after she left but it's a no go. don't care for lj.

Posted by jaxon November 18, 08 04:06 PM
  1. Hey Macy,

Lighten the eff up- who are you to judge how anyone chooses to escape during their free time. People have enough things to worry about right now, so piss off if they want to watch tv or read a trashy magazine. I'm sure hanging out with you would be a blast.

Posted by Filenes November 18, 08 04:14 PM
  1. I love Lipstick Jungle. I hardly ever watch TV, but always catch Lipstick even with it moving to Friday. Love the characters, the music, the clothes, but especially love Andrew McCarthy!! Please keep the show on. Finally there is something worth watching.

Posted by Renee in Nebraska November 18, 08 04:16 PM
  1. Of all the boring stories Ive seen online in newspapers today, Monk leaving the air is actually the one I am going to remember for today. So in my opinion....Boston Globe was right for posting this since it was certainly noteworthy and newsworthy to me.

Posted by Matt November 18, 08 04:50 PM
  1. You know just when they come out with a Great show for Woman they say they are going to cancel it. They never give it time and I'm glad they are not going too if that is in fact the case! I love this show I look forward to this show every Friday Night.

Please keep this show on. Thanks

Posted by Denise K November 18, 08 08:26 PM
  1. We LOVE Lipstick Jungle !! When the hour is over, we can't wait to see the NEXT episode. Please do not cancel such a refreshing new show!!! Let us continue to escape into their Jungle!!!

Posted by Karla November 18, 08 09:42 PM
  1. I love Lipstick Jungle! PLEASE don't cancel this FUN and WITTY show! YOU GO GIRLS!

Posted by Mush November 22, 08 03:37 PM
  1. Lipstick Jungle has become my FAVORITE show. I love having it on Friday nights since there has never been anything good on tv on Fridays. I look forward to watching it and DVR it when I am not at home!!!!!!!! I talk to my daughter about every episode (she lives in Ohio and I live in Las Vegas)!!!!!! We call each other after I watch it (three hours after she does). Please don't cancel it!!!!!! All the characters are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Teddy Oaks-Clark November 22, 08 08:47 PM