Bye, Bye 'Enemy,' 'Lipstick'

Posted by Matthew Gilbert  November 13, 2008 06:39 AM

christian-slater-my-own-worst-enemy-trained-to-kill1.jpg

We hardly knew ye. But we knew ye well enough to know that we didn't want to know ye any better. So good luck to ye in the Great TV Beyond.

NBC has officially cancelled Christian Slater's "My Own Worst Enemy" and Brook Shields' "Lipstick Jungle." Scheduled on Monday nights after "Heroes," NBC had high hopes for Slater's spy drama, but -- whoops! -- the network forgot to make sure the show was any good. And -- whoops! -- audiences (only about 4 million viewers) figured that out pretty quickly.

UPDATE on Tuesday, Nov. 18: "Lipstick" may not be dead.

1. "Lipstick Jungle" was a decent show, one to get lost in once the kids were in bed. But with so many schedule changes -- not really knowing what night it was on -- it was hard to keep track of. Hopefully Lifetime will consider picking it up, and putting it and "Army Wives" together on one night -- and not Sunday night where "Army Wives" already competes with "Brothers & Sisters." Monday works well for me. Nothing good is on. Tuesday either.

Posted by "Lipstick fan" November 13, 08 08:02 AM
  1. I love Lipstick Jungle! Don't cancel it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by donna November 13, 08 08:18 AM
  1. I love My Own Worst Enemy. I think it is a great show... I am so mad it's cancelled

Posted by mom2kids November 13, 08 08:20 AM

1. That was a really quick pull

Posted by James E Stevenson November 13, 08 08:32 AM
  1. That's a shame, I liked Lipstick Jungle

Posted by Stephanie November 13, 08 08:48 AM
  1. Nooooo Lipstick Jungle was not the best show ever but it was entertaining! I knew it was done when they moved it to Fridays NOOOOO!!!!!

Posted by Bonni November 13, 08 08:52 AM
  1. I've never understood the appeal of Christian Slater -- and, clearly, I'm not alone.

Posted by SpinQueen November 13, 08 08:58 AM
  1. This really ticks me off! My husband and I really enjoy My Own Worst Enemy; it was great to see Christian Slater back on the tube. Lipstick Jungle has been a fav of mine as well...NBC is going to have a hard time getting my attention now..

Posted by Miffed in Medway November 13, 08 09:40 AM
  1. i keep waiting for "enemy" to get better. looks like i won't have to wait any more.

Posted by alienlifeforcecube November 13, 08 09:43 AM
  1. As Howie Carr would say, "is Ted in the House?"

Posted by John November 13, 08 09:56 AM
  1. Lipstick Jungle is a good show with a lot of talented actors. Its first season was short lived with too few episodes to allow viewers to bond with the characters. After a lengthy absence it came back in October with little fanfare opposite Dirty Sexy Money. Now that it has finally found a home on Friday nights - perfect placement - and the story lines are deep, it is being cancelled. It's just not fair.

Posted by Kay November 13, 08 09:56 AM
  1. What a shame about Christian Slater's show. It was a fine one, but didn't stand a chance with its time slot and lack of publicity.

Posted by reindeergirl November 13, 08 10:06 AM
  1. Your copy editor must be sleeping in-- it's not "Brook Shields'," it's "Brooke Shields's."

Posted by Chip November 13, 08 10:08 AM
  1. I watched the first couple of episodes of My Own Worst Enemy. Unlike Matthew Gilbert, I thought it was a good show with some potential. Yes, the plot was convoluted and Slater playing two characters could be challenging for a viewer but it was better than most of the major networks other line-ups. It also got decent viewership on hulu.com.

I can't believe the Knight Rider reboot hasn't been canceled but this has - weird.

Posted by Zac November 13, 08 10:10 AM
  1. Funny - 4 million people like a show, and they claim "no interest". kind of sad in a way

Posted by JMc November 13, 08 10:27 AM
  1. OMG! I love Lipstick Jungle! Did they really give it a fair chance?

Posted by jbr November 13, 08 10:30 AM
  1. I enjoy Lipstick Jungle, it wasn't the best show but it was an entertaining adult program!

Posted by Dawn November 13, 08 10:30 AM
  1. Kind of pathetic to lament that a TV show is cancelled. Why don't people get a life instead of wasting away like an automaton in front of the TV? So many things with your bodies and minds you could be doing, it's really depressing.

Posted by Sorry for you November 13, 08 10:35 AM
  1. I'm heartbroken that NBC has cancelled Lipstick Jungle :-( I LOVED that show :-(

Posted by Chaya November 13, 08 10:36 AM
  1. I too am heartbroken! I LOVE Lipstick Jungle!

Posted by Kelly November 13, 08 10:58 AM
  1. What's really depressing, "Sorry for You", is feeling the need to comment on a tv-related comment board when you don't watch tv. Have YOU nothing better to do than smugly wallow in your supposed superiority?

Posted by Nan November 13, 08 11:00 AM
  1. I wish these reports would be able to suggest what will be shown instead of these shows. NBC has an annoying habit of throwing up almost any schlock it can find! (eg: Life's Most Embarrassing moments or SNL Bash for the THIRD time in 2 weeks.) It is almost as if they have no plan, no order of what if...then we...
    LIke when NBC throws up a repeat of Leno less than a month after it first aired. What ever happened to the guest host ? (it actually gave Jay a start when Carson was away) or they replay an ER from LAST season on Thanksgiving Night..."Hey, you at home. You have no life. You will watch anything. watch THIS garbage!"

Posted by Cranky Pete November 13, 08 11:00 AM
  1. Sweet social commentary there "Sorry for you." You are quite the internet crusader.

I DVR'd 'Enemy" but haven't watched an episode yet. Mine as well not get involved now.

Posted by ThickSarcasm November 13, 08 11:03 AM
  1. Lipstick Jungle was the only show that actually represented accomplished professional women maneuvering at their jobs, and illustrated the complex social and personal interactions between those jobs and their private lives. Contrast that to "Sex and the City," which barely referenced the professional lives of the characters, and to "Gossip Girl," where we have never once been inside a classroom. I thought that insight into the connection between the professional and the personal, for women, was a stroke of genius.

Posted by Constant Reader November 13, 08 11:06 AM
  1. Gee Sorry for you, why don't YOU get a life instead of reading through comments about an article that seems not concern and then making stupid smart mouth comments.
    As for "Enemy" I tried to get into, but it just couldn't hold me.
    I think it might have a lot to do with how bad Heroe's is this season, I basically tune out right after Chuck.

Posted by Mike November 13, 08 11:07 AM
  1. wrong Chip....for singular possessive, words ending in 's', 'z', or 'x' generally omit the 's' as in ..........Dr. Seuss' sense of humor

Posted by Trex November 13, 08 11:09 AM
  1. I love LIpstick Jungle. I look forward to it every week. Please dont cancel the show.

Posted by weekly fan November 13, 08 11:23 AM
  1. NO, NO, NO.... They can't cancel Lipstick Jungle.. It's my one show I LOVE to watch after the kiddo's are in bed..
    I don't understand why they pulled it..
    Shame on them for not giving it a chance, especially when they changed nights..
    I hope they know it's not a smart move on their part..

Posted by sannersgrl November 13, 08 11:25 AM
  1. LOVED,LOVED Lipstick Jungle!! Replacement for Sex in the City (but on network television) . Too Too Bad....

Posted by Evergreen November 13, 08 11:28 AM
  1. "...Why don't people get a life instead of wasting away like an automaton in front of the TV? So many things with your bodies and minds you could be doing, it's really depressing."

Do you mean like sitting in front of a computer READING and commenting on a TV show getting canceled...

Wow, WHO needs to get a life?

Posted by TommyB November 13, 08 11:35 AM
  1. #18 . . . why don't you stop wasting your time on blogs and get a life instead . . . so many more things you could be doing with your mind and body. Doesn't take a lot of brain power to type on a blog.

Posted by sorr for you too November 13, 08 11:38 AM
  1. As long as they don't cancel Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles and Cheetah Girls I'm good.

Posted by Athol Vidiot November 13, 08 11:47 AM
  1. Kay - you are so right - the network did a very bad job promoting that show and putting it in an appropriate time slot. The show is great, the actors really have chemistry and the stories have gotten very interesting. When will NBC get its act together on romantic drama/comedy?

Posted by Trish November 13, 08 12:05 PM
  1. I love " My Own Worst Enemy" what did it do wrong??!!

Posted by rposulli November 13, 08 12:09 PM
  1. 30 Rock is the only show I watch on NBC. The rest is formulaic drivel.

Posted by Noel November 13, 08 12:16 PM
  1. #26 - Trex - Go back to (or pay attention in) school.

Rule #1, Elementary Rules of Usage, The Elements of Style (Strunk and White):

"Form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's." This is a very basic rule of English grammar and composition.

Thus, Chip's example, "Brooke Shields's" is correct, and yours, "Dr. Seuss'" is wrong.

Kindly refrain from posting incorrect and/or ignorant information. Thanks.

Posted by Athol Vidiot November 13, 08 12:17 PM
  1. Lipstick can't be cancelled!!!!!!!!! I LOVE this show!!! What are they thinking.

Posted by Amy Blew November 13, 08 12:28 PM
  1. DON'T CANCEL LIPSTICK JUNGLE! I LOVE IT! WTF?! keep it on the air!!

Posted by TARA November 13, 08 12:54 PM
  1. Dear lover's of MWE and LJ,

These shows are being canceled not because you love and adore them but because not enough of you watch them. When shows have crappy ratings, that means they do not generate very much money from advertising. This leads to negative profits for the networks so to conmesate for less than zero profits, the networks have to shed expenses as in the cost of producing these shows.

Posted by Mr. Economics 101 November 13, 08 05:26 PM
  1. I Loved Lipstick Jungle!! PLEASE DON'T CANCEL IT!! JUST PUT IT ON AT A DECENT TIME LIKE MONDAY OR TUESDAY, NOTHING ELSE IS ON!!

Posted by jodie November 13, 08 05:35 PM
  1. I love lipstick jungle. please don't cancel it. I have seen every episode since it came on. This tv stations keep canceling all the good shows and putting all this horrible shows on and keeping them unstead

Posted by disappointed November 13, 08 07:55 PM
  1. Lipstick Jungle is a good show . Give it a chance one season is not enough. Keepit on.

Posted by Mary November 14, 08 08:10 PM
  1. I really like Lipstick Jungle and I wish it wouldn't get cancelled. I agree it showed professional women working while handling social and personal issues to some degree and the story line was getting very interesting. NBC did a terrible job of marketing the program, a very short first season, switching around the nights second season and putting it on Wednesdays, a evening known for school and church events and then Fridays, an evening when families and singles both go out to relax at the end of the week. As stated above Lipstick will come off and some garbage reality, re-runs, or more detective shows will take its place!!

Posted by Claudia November 14, 08 08:27 PM
  1. Please please don't cancel Lipstick Jungle. It is seriously the only show that I watch on TV. It is way too good to cancel compared to anything else on TV.

Posted by Sick in Houston November 14, 08 10:07 PM
  1. I am also extremely disappointed in the cancellation of Lipstick Jungle and My Worst Enemy. I have to admit due to the scheduling of My Worst Enemy I use Tivo to watch it later in the week.

Try to get friends and family interested in the shows if they are not already.

Posted by Snowbound Girl November 14, 08 10:10 PM
  1. Please don't cancel the show!!!! I love Lipstick Jungle! I look forward to it every week!

Posted by Jill November 14, 08 11:43 PM
  1. PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL LIPSTICK JUNGLE!!!!

Posted by Ms. Upset November 15, 08 12:46 AM
  1. Please! Please! Don't take my Lipstick Jungle away. My favorite show and I love it.

Posted by Kimy November 15, 08 02:02 PM
  1. Lipstick Jungle is my favorite show. I love the music, the fashion, the women are great and what can I say about Kirby! It just started getting good - Wendy gets fired - her husband gets a job - Nico is starting to reconsider her younger lover and Victory -well she will get Joe.

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL

Posted by jane November 15, 08 03:42 PM
  1. Aaaaaw! Don't cancel Lipstick Jungle, pleeeease! I love this show and look forward to it every week!

Posted by extremely disappointed November 15, 08 11:46 PM
  1. I like lipstick jungle and thought the story line was picking up, and going a little deep?????Well who knows what the higher ups think???? People will not chase a program down, pick a night????

Posted by westfield tv addict November 16, 08 01:06 PM
  1. I also enjoyed Lipstick Jungle. If they are cancelling because people are taping it instead of watching live and missing commercials, what makes them think we sit in our chairs and watch the commercials on a live show. It should be about the show, not the commercials. I dont even like to invest in many shows anymore cause as soon as I like it the networks cancel.

Posted by Carole November 16, 08 07:21 PM
  1. I tried to get into My Own Worst Enemy. I was a huge Christian Slater fan back in the day. But I stopped watching it after the second episode because it just felt like a waste of my time.

Posted by Erin November 17, 08 12:38 PM
  1. I too am so disappointed in NBC! Finally a show that is entertaining with likeable characters and interesting often unpredicatble plots, and yet they are choose to cancel it? It was so refreshing to watch a show that not only made you laugh, but could also make you cry at the same time, and it was nice to see a show in that 9:00 time slot that didn't include a murder!!! I agree I thinkl NBC did a disservice to Lipstick Jungle by not putting it on a decent night and leaving it there so it had time to attract a bigger audience base. You can tell by this blog it already has a LOYAL following!!

Posted by Brenda November 18, 08 10:16 AM