'Runway:' I wasn't going for elegant

Posted by Joanna Weiss  October 2, 2008 01:50 PM

rate_512_kenley.jpg

I can certainly understand why the producers of "Project Runway" are reluctant to let Kenley go. She's not the gods' gift to high fashion, but she's great for TV. And last night, I found myself actually empathizing with her. OK, not the excuse about how growing up on a tugboat made her hopelessly self-centered. But in five seasons, I've never seen someone so isolated in the workroom. As irritating as she can be to watch and listen to -- and as horrible as she's been, laughing at her fellow designers on the runway -- I still feel for anyone who's ostracized by the cool kids. And really, they weren't going to give her extra tulle? That's kind of petty, and not especially sportsmanlike.

That said, I didn't care for Kenley's flower-with-a-fish-tail evening gown (not to mention her runway backtalk), but I also didn't love Leanne's lavender-explosion dress or Korto's enormous V-neck with a ballgown train (and how did bright orange get translated to wimpy peach)? Jerell's dress was pretty, but Heidi was right: if it didn't get hiked up, pronto, the show was going to have to use some of that those privates-blurring technology that's been so prominent on "Survivor" this season.

One other general "Project Runway" gripe: I can't stand the way the contestants are forced to keep up the charade that they'll only show at Fashion Week if they're one of the final three. As any obsessive fan knows -- and how many "Runway" fans aren't obsessive? -- the final six showed collections, so as not to telegraph the last few episodes' outcome. Which means these four are terrific actors. Or really emotional people. Because those were a lot of I'll-die-if-I-don't-make-it tears.

1. She was only ostracized after her antics on the runway. I'm sure she could have run with the "cool kids" is she hadn't been so snarky earlier in the season. I thought she should have been kicked off after the hip hop disaster.

Posted by c October 2, 08 10:58 PM
  1. I think if she took a few dollars and got her adenoids fixed , she'd be a lot less annoying

Posted by Kathy October 3, 08 07:29 AM
  1. She's completely immature. Listening to her describe how she goes though life alienating everyone should have been a big tip-off. She needs to learn to process criticism, otherwise she'll never succeed in a collaborative, creative field. I hope she learns something by watching her behavior on the shows, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by E October 3, 08 08:23 AM
  1. The problem is Kenley thinks she's the cool kid. I think it's a nice change of pace to see a mean spirited immature bi-yatch get the treatment that she deserves even if it's only on a reality tv show. As for the so-called un-sportsmanlike of the other designers I totally disagree. Why should they help her? She's made it clear she wouldn't help them. Iin fact I surprised Tim Gunn was so forgiving after the way she's treated him week after week.

Posted by bcgirl October 3, 08 09:51 AM
  1. Your memory is too short.

To date, no P.R. contestant has been more hated and ostracized than Wendy Pepper!

Kenley's Miss Congeniality by comparison.

Posted by cosmogirl October 3, 08 11:05 AM
  1. As Michael Kors said to Kenley earlier in the show, she'd better be able to accept criticism in the real world as a designer, because if a crowd doesn't like your fashion show's designs, a LOT of people are going to be criticizing by not buying your clothes! But as E said, I doubt she'll learn. She'll be the put-upon designer that everyone hated on, not realizing that she brought it upon herself.

And in interesting news - I just read that Tim Gunn had to step in for guest judge J-Lo next week.- just a few hours before the show was to be filmed. He didn't want to do it, as that's not his role on the show, but he said it went well.

Posted by Linda October 3, 08 11:26 AM
  1. I am surprised that you guys haven't blogged about the debate. I always look forward to your commentarty.

Posted by Wiltsan October 3, 08 11:46 AM
  1. I don't think I would have helped her by giving her the tulle either. Remember, we only see the edited version of the show, the designers had to live with her 24/7. And I really couldn't muster any sympathy for her after this week's show when she blamed Leanne for her loss in the makeover challenge because Leanne "didn't sell" her outfit. Queen Latifah couldn't have made that oufit look good, or hip-hop. Honestly, it's not pretty when people can't accept responsibility for their decisions and their behavior.

Posted by Isabel October 3, 08 11:47 AM
  1. Kenley lacks a bit of self awareness. But no one should be blatantly ostracized like that. Practice what you preach and rise above. NONE of the dresses were stellar and if you recall Heidi said Jerell won but – JUST. The three just looked petty and vindictive. I wouldn’t want to be in that group, it would be like vying for a spot as Queen of the Nerds. It’s a design competition, not a contest for Miss Congeniality,

Posted by Bravigirl October 3, 08 12:11 PM