Mourning Sound | Grizzly Bear Listen Live

Obama infomercial ratings

Posted by Joanna Weiss  October 30, 2008 10:28 AM

According to the Nielsen Co., Barack Obama's Wednesday night infomercial drew about 33.6 million people across the networks: CBS, FOX, NBC, Univision, BET, MSNBC, and TV One.

On ABC, "Pushing Daisies" drew about 6.7 million viewers, the show's largest viewership of the season. On the CW, "America's Next Top Model" drew 3.9 million viewers.

Also, according to a Nielsen press release from this morning:
* Overall, for the six networks that aired the program simultaneously, the spot had a household rating of 21.7% (meaning that 21.7 percent of all households watching television were tuned to the spot) in the top 56 local markets. In Boston, the rating was 25.7 -- meaning that just over a quarter of local households tuned in.
* In comparison, the final debate between the two presidential candidates received a 38.3 household rating in the top 56 local TV markets. The candidates’ first debate on September 26 received a 34.7 household rating in the top 55 markets; their second debate, on October 7, received a 42.0 household rating in those markets.
* The last presidential candidate to air a paid simulcast was Ross Perot in 1996, which received a national household rating of 16.8.
* Last night, the Baltimore market had the largest TV audience, with a household rating of 31.3, while the Portland (Oregon, not Maine) market had the lowest household rating: 14.2.

So, in the end, did you watch? And what did you think? My own take was that it was as safe as expected: standard soaring music; typical images of hardworking, struggling families; no departure from Obama's campaign message. (And of course he wasn't going to address any rumors or controversies. What would be the purpose in that?) Of course, I wasn't the intended audience -- this was clearly aimed as an introduction/overview for people who haven't been following the race closely.

If you're one of those people, I'd love to hear your impressions of the half-hour ad. If you're already a partisan, one way or the other, I issue a humble request for restraint. Fair warning: I'm not posting any comments, from either side, that involve name-calling.

1. No

Posted by scott October 30, 08 11:21 AM
  1. "Of course, I wasn't the intended audience -- this was clearly aimed as an introduction/overview to people who haven't been following the race closely."

Exactly. And I think he hit a home run with it. I'd guess a lot of undecided's who watched him last night have a better idea of which candidate they'll vote for now.

I was impressed.

Posted by Me October 30, 08 11:25 AM
  1. I watched for about 5 minutes...until I heard Barack mention that taxes would increase on families making $200,000 or more...$50,000 less that what he mentioned only a few weeks ago. By the time he gets into office it will be down to anyone making more than $45,000!

Posted by Keith October 30, 08 11:32 AM
  1. Well why??

What home run he did not say anything about how he would pay for any of his programs other than his typical 95% lower tax the top 5% shall pay more.

That does not cut it when we have I think a 10trillion dollar deficit and looking to be over 1trillion for this year alone with the bailout. I do admit my numbers might be off.

Yes it was very heart felt seeing folks who have gone through tough times and how he would fix it. I do not see how he can do this and be anywhere near fiscally prudent? Sure he can get the 10 billion a month from the war but he needs alot more than that.

Yes I am voting for John McCain but I am always interested in what both sides have to say. It would be nice if we could have someone take care of us from cradle to grave but hmm that is not the real world.

If he said he was going to raise taxes to fix the deficit then I might be kind of ok with it since the more debt we rack up the lower the value of the dollar and the less each of our nest eggs are worth. But more spending on things that sound great but we can't afford seems to be to be very problematic.

And on social matters we are worlds apart.

Good story
    not impressed

Posted by Larry L Presswood Jr October 30, 08 11:38 AM
  1. i think it was good in the fact that there was no name calling, no negativity. Even though I am Pro-Obama, I don't like it when the ads get too negative. I'm not the intended audience either though since I have heard some of the parts of the infomercial before also like "it's no picnic for me either buster"

Posted by dt October 30, 08 11:39 AM
  1. I was very impressed.I clearly made up my mind last night that I would
    vote for Obama..

Posted by Jean October 30, 08 11:47 AM
  1. He did not sway me one way or the other. I thought it was a lot of pagentry and camera work with patriotic rah-rah music, but no susbstance. It told me nothing I didn't alreay know. I know he's promising to make life better for the middle class, but has never said how he'll accomplish that. All this money spent for showmanship that added nothing.

Posted by Still Undecided October 30, 08 11:49 AM
  1. I think that the commercial was GREAT....McCain is griping about Obama doing it, well pay for it from your wife's pocket, (if you don't have any campaign money to spend!!!) If the circumstances were reversed, i'm sure that McCain would have done the same....It wasn't a DIRTY tactic, just a tactic. Obama had the muscle and money to do it and he did it, so what???? The McCain camp has been inept and clumsy in their bid for president. If he fails he only has his handlers and campaign managers to blame.....And I am a registered republican.

Posted by Mike October 30, 08 11:49 AM
  1. Watched it, even though I'm not undecided and will vote for Obama. I thought he did a good job at explaining why people should vote for him. That said, it is pathetic that candidates have to spend millions making these types of ads because the media is so saturated with bogus information and people have no time or will to look up the facts.

Posted by John Kovacs October 30, 08 11:49 AM
  1. I think it was apparents that Obama had to spend the left over campaign money before Nov.4th. The infomercial lacked substance, facts, and conviction.

Posted by FrizB October 30, 08 11:49 AM
  1. I didn't watch, I'm already voting for Obama.

Posted by DavidDavidDavid October 30, 08 11:51 AM
  1. voted for Bush 2x and supported Mac until his VP pick.

Very impressive as it cleared up any doubt/untruths about his childhood. Its just night and day the way these 2 campaigns were run. How can Mac sleep at night with some of the statements he and his running mate make at these campaign stops? He is not the same person he was 18 months ago.

Posted by undecided08 October 30, 08 11:52 AM
  1. How could anyone feel impressed with Obama ... look at Beacon Hill and you
    have the exact "ditto" of a Duval Patrick ... and, that saddens eveyone!

Posted by whr October 30, 08 11:52 AM
  1. The oft repeated misconception that Obama has changed the threshold for taxes needs to be addressed. Obama has consistently stated that those making less than $250K will NOT see a tax increase AND those making less than $200K will receive a refund. That means (for you math challenged individuals) that those making between $200K and $250K will have no change in their tax rate.

Posted by Richard October 30, 08 11:54 AM
  1. I think Keith mis-heard because I am sure he said $250,000, same as he's said all along.

Posted by Allie October 30, 08 11:57 AM
  1. The Portland market you mention being lowest - do you mean Oregon or Maine?

Posted by Elizabeth October 30, 08 11:57 AM
  1. Well, I'm not a socialist but.....
    Just kidding. Was that "name-calling?"

I though it was good - could have been better. I think what unnerves some non hard core democrats is the "tear jerker' approach which has come to symbolize the "bleeding heart liberal". Although the presentation was good, (love the rustic Oval Office backdrop) he could have offered names of possible cabinet members, how he would implement some of the programs, and how he would "reach accross the aisle".
    As a Republican, he would have got my vote with that.

Posted by Beenthere-Donethat October 30, 08 11:57 AM
  1. It's was pablum. Propaganda.

No better or worse than either party has produced.

If they want really good propaganda, let them the watch "Triumph of the Will".

This nonsense was about as interesting as a half hour spot selling the "Popeil Pocket Fisherman".

Posted by Fred Mertz October 30, 08 11:58 AM
  1. I was touched by the portions about his family and his vision for the future of our country. Mr. Obama was obviously shaped by a good mother and very caring grandparents. He is a loving and caring father and family man. I was impressed that he didn't use this exclusive time to blast McCain. Instead, he made a very positive impression of his vision for our country's future.

Posted by marilyn1956 October 30, 08 11:58 AM
  1. What you have here is all the Obama supporters and this is the Globe.

I believe the 21.7% is about what he will get on election night other
    than the people who have no TV's.

Posted by Frank N October 30, 08 11:58 AM
  1. I wasn't sure which way I was going to vote until I saw this last night. Obama has become very compelling. We can use his positive demeanor I am choosing hope over fear.

Posted by Steve H. October 30, 08 11:59 AM
  1. "taxes would increase on families making $200,000 or more..."
    I heard that too, but it was slightly different. I believe he said that he would "cut taxes on those making $200k or less." I beliver that those making $200-250K get no tax cut, but stay at the currrent rate. So it is consistent with the statement that he would raise taxes on those who make more than $250k.

Posted by EdRyder October 30, 08 12:00 PM
  1. I loved it. It was great to see Obama get his message through crisp, and clean of the distortions of the media filter. The clear plan that Obama offers for America is inspiring, and his initiatives are well thought out, and easily implemented. I look forward to the next eight years of prosperity with the Obama Administration at the healm.

Posted by C. Hangew Ecanbelievein October 30, 08 12:00 PM
  1. Watched 15 minutes of it. Got bored and turned it off. I dont need him to tell me people are suffering. Look around.... Everyone is suffering! So i thought that was a waste. One blooper though, He keeps saying that he will tax people that make over 250,000. Last night it was 200,000. Hmmmm, and then the other day Biden says 150,000. Huh? Five million dollars wasted! Can you imagine what 5 mil can do today? So all in all, i think he's is a windbag! He has shown me what he is made of. Billy Mayes and the Sham WOW! guy can do better with my money then this man can. I have made up my mind now. Gone are the Democrats of JFK I'm afraid. .

Posted by Undecided Decided October 30, 08 12:01 PM
  1. The Portland market mentioned is Oregon, not Maine. I've clarified in the post.

Posted by Joanna October 30, 08 12:06 PM
  1. watched only last 5 minutes. got what I expected. I'm voting for Obama because of the *potential* to change, not the strong belief that he *can* make changes. With McCain, I don't believe after 30+ years in the machine, you can be an agent of change. Sorry. So the negative about Obama, his lack of experience, lends credence to the HOPE that he's not so deep in it, that he can actually change. Who knows what'll happen if he wins.

One other thing, this redistribution of the wealth vein I hear on the conservative radio talk stations. We already have a tiered tax system, where you get taxed more based on what you earn. So what's new about that? That's not socialism or marxism. That's our system. He's increasing the level of taxation at a level. Acknowledge what he says he is doing is increasing taxes, not instituting socialism.

Posted by JoeC October 30, 08 12:07 PM
  1. Nope, didn't watch it. Even though I'm a democrat, I don't like him and am writing in Hillary.

What people don't get is that Congress actually make the changes--so Obama can say whatever he wants, but if the laws don't pass, his tax plan won't go anywhere. I'm just sick of the entire campaign.

Posted by fan of hillary October 30, 08 12:08 PM
  1. Rating is not a percent of TVs turned on, Joanna. Rating is the # of people watching / the demographic's universe. In other words, it's ppl watching / ppl with TVs.

Share is people watching / TV sets turned on.

Anyway, I'm glad that more people were drinking the grape Flavor-Aid last night. If big government is the "change you can believe in" well then that's not much change; it's more of the same.

Posted by Mike G. October 30, 08 12:10 PM
  1. Keith - I too was startled when I heard the number $200,000 rather than $250,000. But actually it is consistent. If your income is less than $200K you'll get a tax reduction. If your (family) income is greater than $250K you'll get a tax increase. No contradiction, and the numbers have not changed.

Posted by Peter October 30, 08 12:10 PM
  1. Give anyone unlimited funding that they don't have to account for as far as following rules to identify their sources and the production can be as slick as they'll pay for.. rather have Obama produce a valid birth certificate and other documentation to refute charges made against him.. otherwise how do we know what he's hiding or what he's made of.. watched briefly and saw it was just a sound bite rah rah production and turned on other programming.. he should have told us what he was going to cover, cover it and then summarize what he covered..

Posted by ph October 30, 08 12:10 PM
  1. I did not intentionally watch it (but my husband did). I am an undecided voter - probably voting third party, possibly voting McCain since it really doesn't matter much in this blue state of ours.. If anything, this infomercial has hardened my opposition to Obama. I feel like it was overkill...sort of running up the score (given his lead in the polls).

Posted by Still undecided October 30, 08 12:12 PM
  1. yeah, there seems to be a lot of misunderstandings in regard to the taxation. There are no inconsistencies, those making over 250k see a tax increase, those making less than 200k see a tax cut, anyone in between sees no change. this has been consistent throughout his campaign.

Posted by Eric October 30, 08 12:13 PM
  1. Mike G., this wording was pasted directly from Nielsen's press release. I believe they're using "household ratings" in a way similar to the way they calculate share -- as a percentage of sets in use, as opposed to television-viewing people. I'll update later this afternoon, when Nielsen is expected to release national viewership numbers.

Posted by Joanna October 30, 08 12:13 PM
  1. the worst part of McCain's campaign is Palin! What an insult to women and such display of lack of responsibility to the future of the country!

Posted by Myrna October 30, 08 12:15 PM
  1. I was impressed. i am a Republican and have voted that way for years.I thought last night was very well executed. He avoided any attacks and never mentioned Mccain once. He outlined in pretty clear terms his plans, especially on taxes. At this point, he would be a better president for most of us in the middle class as I don't think McCain has done a good job convincing people that helping the wealthy and letting it trickle down to the middle class is still the way to go. My only fear is that the big liberal left machine (Pelosi, Reid, Schurmer, Durbin)will run his presidency

Posted by Mark October 30, 08 12:15 PM
  1. Obama’s telling us things we already know. OK Joe Schmo who works at Ford is getting laid off, big deal, we know that.....so what are you going to do about it? This is what I want to know. I guess Obamas take is TAX TAX TAX big corporations so that way more Joes and Janes get laid off at Ford.

Listen, I like Obama and I’m not going to shun America if he's president, but a big red flag should be the spending of his campaign, is he going to spend like crazy when he gets in the white house? It just makes me nervous.

Posted by Dan October 30, 08 12:20 PM
  1. Obama has shownd us again that he's a thoughtful, deep, honorable person who deserves to be president. I can't wait to wake up next Wednesday to the fanfare that will accompany his successful election. We as a country deserve him after eight painful years of "leadership" by a man and a party devoid of compassion. Thank God for Obama.

Posted by Ellen H. October 30, 08 12:21 PM
  1. Obama is like a car salesman, a smooth talker. I'm no fool. I may want change but I want change that I can trust. I'm voting for McCain.

Posted by John A. October 30, 08 12:21 PM
  1. Did anyone count how many times the name "McCain" was mentioned in Obama's half-hour ad?

Answer: zero.

Posted by Willie McG October 30, 08 12:21 PM
  1. I'm glad he is dealing with the health care situation. I'm and educator, and my wife stayed home with our kids for the their first 8 years. I needed to pay first $100 extra for my families health care each month, then that kept going up every year, until in the end I had to pay $500 a month for health care on my family. With our savings depleted, my wife had to go back to work as an educator as well. Her first year back our combined coverage was enough for our family, but last year we had to add $50 each month to get the healthcare insurance we needed. This year for the same coverage we have always had since the beginning, even with both of us working, we now have to pay $200 out of pocket each month. When will it stop. I want to start saving for my children's college and our retirement. We need help. Obama's ad covered this need very well. Obama understands what needs to get done.

Posted by Darrel Lantz October 30, 08 12:23 PM
  1. Myrna's post was the insult.. Palin first and foremost is a Goveror of one of our 50 states, has 24,000+ employees and is doing a great job according to most accounts.. it's interesting that a man who has kids can run for the office but a woman is despised and questioned as to where she'll find the time to be VP and raise her family - again, ridicuous.. to say she is an insult to women is ridiculous.. I've actually heard people attribute things said on SNL to her because they heard Tina Fey say them.. again - ridiculous.. i understand people are passionate about their choices but please..

Posted by me October 30, 08 12:24 PM
  1. As an undecided, I felt the ad was informative and served the purpose it was meant to. Although I was already familiar with his position on key issues that interest me, what struck me most was that he continues to portray a more positive and intellectual message than the McCain campaign. Throughout this whole process he has shown more dignity and calm. Frankly, I am tired of hearing about Obama's seedy past acquaintances. They mean nothing to me and the continued focus on them by the McCain camp is what has turned me off to McCain the most (well...that or the Palin pick). Although I still have reservations, I'm fairly sure my vote goes to Obama.

Posted by JPHurley October 30, 08 12:26 PM
  1. I was going to watch but I had to redistribute my time elsewhere.

Posted by Robin Hood Economics October 30, 08 12:26 PM
  1. It might be interesting to get rid of the 2 party system and let people run on what they believe, along with how they'd change the country for the better.. eliminate the 'electoral college' and actually use the popular vote.. It'd be a whole lot better than forcing candidates to cling to a party line which often times simply becomes the lesser of two evils.. never will understand how the people vote and sometimes the popular vote comes in second..

Posted by me October 30, 08 12:28 PM
  1. I already know my vote -- watched the Celtics game instead. Go Celtics!!!

Posted by Jeff October 30, 08 12:31 PM
  1. JoeC #26 - I agree with you whole-heartedly. Obama MIGHT make things better. McCain will most certainly NOT. When the choice is "you might get screwed" or "you will get screwed", I'm definitely going with "might".

Posted by DCX2 October 30, 08 12:34 PM
  1. "Gone are the Democrats of JFK I'm afraid." from a republican supporting McCain. Yes Mr. Undecided, gone are the Democrats of JFK, they switched sides in the 60s to keep racism alive and switched parties. You are absolutely right when you say "Gone are the Democrats of JFK", i say goodriddens.

Support neither Obama or McCain.

Posted by Mr. Decided October 30, 08 12:35 PM
  1. Considering McCain is the old warrior it is truly amazing how Obama has out maneuvered him at every turn. Not only has Obama run a truly amazing campaign he's also done an great job in getting folks interested in this election and registered. McCain has stumbled all over the field, changed his attack almost on a daily basis and brought such negativity to the race that whenever I see him on the tube I have to shut it off. HIs choice of a running mate was the clincher, she's really not qualified and that was evident in her interview with Katie. I'd rather have someone sitting in the White House who knows how to do more than manage wars.

Posted by Marion October 30, 08 12:35 PM
  1. I believe it was a waste of time and money...he said nothing new that would convince me to vote for him. Never has he explained how he believes he can accomplished all his lofty goals. I am totally amazed at the number of voters who are following him blindly without researching everything in his record.

Posted by Judith October 30, 08 12:35 PM
  1. I can't believe this many people watched an infomercial...
    Now we have Tony Robbins running (and winning) the presidency.

Last night's move confirmed for me that I'll vote, in great futility, for McCain.

Essentially a vote for O'bama is saying the public sector is better at Economic growth than the private sector. Aside from the last 10 months I'll take the Private sectors track record at increasing wealth over the gov'ts record any day of the week.

Posted by Jamie October 30, 08 12:36 PM
  1. All Obama's infomercial was, was more of him spouting off scripted and rehearsed rhetoric. He has to buy airtime, because he can't handle scruitny and he has to duck hard questions when he doesn't have a script to read from.

Posted by Lex October 30, 08 12:38 PM
  1. He has a valid birth certificate. It's been on factcheck.org. There are even pictures of it!

Posted by Jen October 30, 08 12:39 PM
  1. I didn't see the infomercial last night, and I honestly don't need to. It is so obvious that Obama needs to be our president. I am disturbed by how many people are still planning to vote for McCain...especially after he made is VP pick and proved to America that he doesn't think very much of our intelligence. Did he really think that just because she is a woman, that women across the country would vote for him just for the sake of getting a woman into office? He is not giving us much credit. If he is elected and something happens to him, Palin is our president...that has to be some kind of a joke.

Posted by Julia October 30, 08 12:44 PM
  1. I'm a 100% disabled vet, (combat), a lifelong Democrat, and I find myself more and more in the rear view mirror of the party. I'm turning into a Zell Miller Democrat, and I don't say that with a smile on my face. I don't understand that lure of "everyone riding in the wagon - and no one pulling." I am a compassionate person, I want everyone to succeed, for god's sake I try my best to do an honest day's work - everyday, even with my disabilities. So someone please tell me, what is the lure of big government? What is appealing about a government bureaucrat at every office, check out counter, work place, hospital, street corner etc. etc? Get out of our way and let us do what we do best - build things and succeed.

Posted by Ski October 30, 08 12:51 PM
  1. I agree with the Fan of Hillary. Presidents do not have much influence in domestic affairs, Congress does. A president can propose but it is up to Congress to make things happen. Dealing with external affairs is the area where a president has the most influence and that should be the focus of any voters decision between candidates - who will represent and lead our country more effectively regarding world issues and protect our interests and the great people of these United States. Obama is a great PR man and I'm sure he'll make the US look good to most of the world, but I'm not sure that he will be able to protect and represent our interests well. But I don't know. No informercial should change a mind.

Posted by Rich B October 30, 08 12:51 PM
  1. Factcheck.org. is an Obama site controlled by Annenberg ~ not exactly fair and balanced, so that didn't really help me on that issue.
    It was a boring infomercial with the usual "Aren't I wonderful" theme and didn't help alleviate any fears I might have. I wasn't impressed, I'll stick with the safe vote. I don't really want change if I'm not sure exactly what's coming. The devil you know is ALWAYS better than the devil you don't know!

Posted by Marie October 30, 08 12:52 PM
  1. I don't own a TV, and I can't stand commercials or jingoistic meaningless propaganda.

So I watched a few minutes of it, but it wasn't saying anything interesting or new, so I turned it off.

Unfortunately, this stuff is apparently required, in order to sway the types of people who STILL haven't decided who they're voting for after 8 years of Bush and months of campaigning.

Won't sway me from voting for Obama, though.

Posted by Former Republican October 30, 08 12:53 PM
  1. I thought it underscored the genuine concern Obama has for the state of the PEOPLE of this nation .
    He hasn't been saying, "Give ME a chance", "let ME serve, and "I'VE been tested" like, ummmmm, another candidate has. He's saying , "These problems have been around for ages, and it's a shame no one has seriously tried to fix them yet."

It's a refreshing change from hearing about the terrorist hiding under the nearest rock, waiting to attack us if we vote for the wrong man!

Posted by xstevex1 October 30, 08 12:54 PM
  1. No. did not watch it. I am a democrat but I do not like him.
    I always felt that he does not have back bone. He lacks a basic principle (respecting human beings).I will not forget the disrespect shown by Obama and his campaign to Hillary. "Arrogance of Hope” (not Audacity of Hope).

My vote may not give McCain a victory, but I am voting for McCain.
    Thank you Obama for making this life long democrat a Republican (at least for 2008)

Posted by JakeAngel October 30, 08 01:05 PM
  1. I'm an independent in NH and have received some extremely disturbing anti-Obama mailings from the GOP (which are all fabricated lies). I can't believe the GOP can send this stuff out ... if you slandered your neighbor in this fashion you would be sued for libel! I saw this infomercial as a way to counteract all the BS the GOP is throwing his way -- like; muslum, terrorist, marxist, etc. If you were on the fence, and only listened to the GOP sound bites, you might believe this nonsense!

Anyway, regardless of what you think of his policies, the infomercial portrayed the real Obama; a creative and very smart American who's dedicated to his country, his family, and people in need. He may not have all the answers, but he is at least a start in the right direction.

Posted by Jeff in NH October 30, 08 01:10 PM
  1. I am amazed at how many people still think that McCain would be able to make good choices as the president of USA when we have all these crises at home and our standing in the world.
    Just look at all the choices that Obama has made last 21 month or so and he has run a clean campaign with substance.
    If anyone is going to steer this Country from these hard times, is some one who can make the right choices, Obama has proved to be the right man for the job.
    We have to be greatful that we have some like him is willing to go through all these work to save this Country.

Posted by H. M. D. G. October 30, 08 01:13 PM
  1. Amazing how many people here and on discussion forums seem to have misconstrued the tax plan message as being some sort of change in Obama's stated policy. Obama's quoted tax policy during the infomercial was identical to the policy he has outlined repeatedly for months now. Nothing changed from $250,000 to $200,000. Look at these statements very carefully:

People making over $250,000 will see a tax increase.
    People making under $200,000 will receive a tax cut.

There is nothing contradictory about these statements. The second statement doesn't suddenly mean if you make $201,000 you see an increase. It's not rocket science folks:

>250K = tax increase
    200K-250K = no change

Okay?

Posted by Chuck October 30, 08 01:14 PM
  1. What has this country come to when you can be persuaded to vote for a candidate based on a paid infomercial???? (rhetorical question...)

Posted by Jane October 30, 08 01:14 PM
  1. If people truly "listened" to senator Obamas words you heard someone who believes in what America used to be and can be again. The operative word is "listened". I've heard people talk about over the top presentation, or the set was like he already won. Those people did not focus on why he was speaking. And, for those who say they don't "trust" senator Obama, why do you trust senator McCain instead? He has had his fair share of questionable friends and has certainly said and done some rather dispicable things during this campaign.

Posted by lwaa October 30, 08 01:17 PM
  1. Once we get the hell out of Iraq, the money saved will be money spent domestically.

Posted by Li Tai Fang October 30, 08 01:18 PM
  1. No, didn't watch. I watched a movie.

Posted by Linda in GA October 30, 08 01:19 PM
  1. I found the presentation completely HEART-WARMING and it made me cry from start to finish. It was a beautiful message and one I've been wishing for, ... unite Americans, stop the divide and nastiness, we can do great things if the Republicans would just STOP the lies and insults. Maybe when the Democrats take control of the White House, the Senate AND the Congress, Republicans will "get the message". STOP the lies and the insults. AND STOP supporting only BIG BUSINESS and The Ultra Wealthy. And by the way, Republicans, NOT EVERYONE in America is Christian/Evangelical. Get it? We want a government for ALL the people ... and we don't like mixing religion with government. With all the damage done, the Republicans should lose for the next 50 years.

Posted by FormerRepublican_until_GWBush October 30, 08 01:20 PM
  1. I am undecided, and I lean toward Ron Paul, yes, he is on the ballot in my state.

I watched it online.

It hurts to see fellow Americans hurting.

12 pills a day? WHO IS HER DOCTOR?!

So, the appeal to emotion was effective in getting my attention. I think he's a good guy, but will he fight for the rich after he is elected? I fear that. The other stuff is just b.s. I know McCain represents the rich, so I won't vote for him.

Posted by lisa w October 30, 08 01:20 PM
  1. "In the land of the blind, the one-eye man is king"...so true. What ceases to amaze me is the way this country, the USA, seems to be functioning, reasoning and voting with both eyes closed. The liberal media is clearly biased and acts as an activist outlet for Obama. With chicanery at their lips and the undying desire to play "stump the stooge", the media attempt to trip, trick and bully Palin & McCain; this will backfire. The "silent majority" will rise and defend the process. Obama's policies border on absurd; he outright condones mass murder of the innocents, with NO compassion for any, should they survive the butchering; he affiliates with terrorists, but just not those named Hussein or Bin Laden; he has no significant experience from which to draw on; he has repeatedly been evasive and mercurial, lending to his ability to placate and pander to all.

The arrogant Obama/Biden ticket has put the cart before the horse; they have popped the cork; Pelosi is 100% certain of an Obama victory(surely the kiss of death); the stage in Chicago is being built for the acceptance speech, etc; transition team is being prepared. With all the money being raised and all the exposure, he sits in a precarious position. This is all setting up for the perfect trap. Destiny has been assumed, but destiny has yet to have her say...she will.

Posted by Mr. Common Sense October 30, 08 01:22 PM
  1. Former Republican..if you don't own a TV, how did you watch a few minutes and then turn it off?

Posted by Mary October 30, 08 01:24 PM
  1. What did you expect? 'Aw Shucks" self deprecation? It wasn't that boastful, it was fairly sensitive to the wide range of personality types watching, and it was fairly honest. Whether it was worth watching is a matter of taste and preference, but compared to McCain advertising of late, it was Not mean spirited nor fear-mongering, it was respectful and positive, and it was a nice look back on the evolution of the campaign and message. If you want the missing stuff, look at the PBS Frontline show on the candidates, it provided the necessary warts. I think the advertisement was designed to make people more comfortable with Mr Obama and to allay some fears, and in that it succeeded. I think it was also nice to hear and see Michelle Obama and her children, since she had been the target of some unpleasant slander. Mr Obama, and Michelle, came across as human, kind, intelligent, thoughtful, even-tempered, well informed, caring, strong, capable, and competent. It was a fitting message and I think any 30 minute ad is by nature more useful and honest than that hit and run 30 second ads, which have all the charm of a mosquito aggression.
    A 30 second ad is just tolerated as an interruption. The 30 minute ad was announced, scheduled, and takes and act of will for the viewer to sit down and watch, rather than just having it breaking up a sitcom. The people who made the effort to purposely sit down and watch it were doing so to learn something about Mr. Obama, see him on his own terms as he wants to be presented, and I don't think there was much resentment, since it was a voluntary act to watch and not an unwelcome interruption.

Posted by HC October 30, 08 01:25 PM
  1. I think he made some valid points mostly for people who haven't really followed the campaign... It summarized his stuff pretty well.

I was planning to vote for Obama as the beginning, however at the beginning of the campaign, I did take McCain seriously as well. He seemed to have strong points and a great spirit. Now when I see McCain, I see a horrible choice made in a running mate, and a frustrated old man who continually takes stabs at Obama, only to be ignored and further frustrated. Obama now gets my vote without any doubts, because as said above - I'd rather "maybe be screwed" than "definitely screwed".

Posted by EC October 30, 08 01:27 PM
  1. This is in response to post #3 above.

Discussion would be much easier, and quicker to come to reasonable conclusions or consensus, if the people who comment did their homework.

Obama has consistently said he will not raise taxes "1 dime" (income taxes, payroll taxes, etc) for families making less than $250,000 per year. He has also consistently said families making less than $200,000 would get a tax break. This is not a contradiction. It merely means that families making between $200,000 and $250,000 will not get a tax break, but will also not get a tax increase. When he has discussed "individuals", (rather than "families") he has mentioned the $150,000 figure.

Posted by John October 30, 08 01:28 PM
  1. I didn't watch the infomercial on TV, but today on youtube. I thought it did what it was intended to do. As far as equating spending money on this as evidence as how he would want to spend money in government is irrelevant. I would assume those who contributed to his campaign want the money spent toward it.

I have already made my mind up, so I only watched out of curiosity and to know exactly what the content was, in case I read about it in a news article or blog.

Posted by Hathor October 30, 08 01:39 PM
  1. No. I did not watch it because I know what he stands for and am not interested in his marxist idealogy. I think he is in love with himself and cares nothing about spending money from questionable sources. Why people want to vote for him and pay higher taxes is irrational. He's slicker than Bill Clinton and will be nothing but trouble for the U.S. and hard working Americans. Everyone loses if he is elected.

Posted by Anna October 30, 08 01:40 PM
  1. I thought he said:

Tax cuts for SMALL BUSINESSES making less than $250,000 a year
    Tax cuts for PEOPLE (not all people own a business, right?) making less than $200,000 a year

There's no conflict. It's two different groups.

Posted by FIR October 30, 08 01:45 PM
  1. Yes, we watched the infomercial and was so glad we did not see or hear any mudslinging, just hope for a better world. We were so glad to see a retired General from the Army and his thoughts. The entire program was done with much thought and a lot of class. We are going to vote Obama/Biden on November 4th. We have had enough of Bush to last us for a lifetime. Thanks for the change to say what we feel.

Posted by B&B October 30, 08 01:46 PM
  1. Obama will cause the entire free market of this country to implode with his tax increase to the "wealthiest" businesses and individuals. When Obama realizes that the top 5% of taxpayers have talented teams of financial advisors who can hide their money legally, he will have no choice but to start taxing the 95% he promised not to tax. While multi-million dollar companies move their business headquarters overseas to avoid giant tax increases, the American people will lose jobs. For those of you still on the fence, remember that Obama's tax plan will only benefit those who don't work and don't pay taxes, because you can't lose what you don't have.

Posted by MiddleClassGal October 30, 08 01:46 PM
  1. I just wanted to say that Obama has always said people making $200,000 or more would see a tax increase....not $250,000....it is businesses making $250,000 or more that would see a tax increase

Posted by Melly October 30, 08 01:49 PM
  1. He really missed his calling. He should be acting or selling snake oil. There are actually people who believe EVERY word he spews. I would not be one of those people. If Obama become President I will not be proud of my country and unlike Michelle Obama, that will be the very first time I have felt shame at being called and American. It will be a sad day indeed if this is what our population decides is the best choice for our leader.
    PS: I support our Troops and will always be proud of those individuals that have fought and still fight for our country.

Posted by Nancy October 30, 08 01:59 PM
  1. No conflicts in the tax cuts. No hidden agenda. If you make less than $250,000 you will not see your taxes go up. if you make between 200,000 and 250,000 you will not see your taxes change, if you make less then #200,000 you will get a tax decrease. Stop trying to make something out of it that it is not.
    There is not rocket science here.

Posted by Don October 30, 08 02:08 PM
  1. For all those who are criticizing the increase in taxes and spending: the only way you can get out of a recession is by injecting cash to the economy. America's deficit is way too large so you cannot inject cash by taking more debt because that's just a killer. You need to do it by increasing revenues and the most effective way to do this without harming people, is to tax the higher class, who has been given way too much slack in the past 8 years.

Bush and McCain are the ones who are redistributing wealth but they are redistributing wealth to the upper class, rather than balancing it out which is what Obama wants to do or fix mainly.

Finally, McCain's argument has been that increasing tax will lead to people loosing their jobs but come on, people are loosing their jobs already. This argument would have been valid 2 months ago but not today. The private sector and these corporations who have been given the tax cuts are the NUMBER 1 to blame for this financial crisis, even more so than the government so what do you do? Give them more slack! No, I am sorry, you need to increase the government's revenue so you can spend it to get the economy back on its feet, and have a long term sustainable economy where people will not fear any job loss.

Posted by Anna October 30, 08 02:14 PM
  1. The election is approaching quickly and its time to get on board the wagon or you will miss the party.

If your interested in an enjoyable evening you should join the Obama supporters on election night.

I don't think the McCain camp will be popping any champagne except to drown their sorrows.

Posted by RF October 30, 08 02:14 PM
  1. I'm always shocked at the people who state how smart and how eloquenly Obama speaks as if that's a bad thing. We should all know after 8 years of Bush that we need a smart president. My husband and I are both educated and we want someone who is smarter than we are to run our country. I am a lifelong democrat and a HUGE supporter of Hillary Clinton and if Hillary can get over the campaign attacks then why can't her supporters? Vote Obama 2008.

Posted by Becky in TX October 30, 08 02:16 PM
  1. I think, this was a timed airing to redirect his campaign from the spin coming off of the news of links to Kahlidi, Ayres and other people "from the neighborhood." Obama has consistently throughout the campaign worked his trickery, and misdirection to sway the undecided voters. We'll likely see a slight rise in his poll numbers, but don't be fooled. How many of these new voters will actually turn out to the polls on November the 4th? I am still not convinced that Obama has an actual plan, one of some substance. I am voting for McCain.

Posted by nikki thomson October 30, 08 02:23 PM
  1. I thought the infomercial was very well done and that the whole campaign has shown that Obama knows how to surround himself with good advisors and subordinates. I think this is important for any President.

During the primary season, I thought McCain was a good man and I liked him. But since becoming the nominee, his negativism has really turned me off. I keep hearing that the "true" McCain has not been well represented in the campaign - which leads me to believe either that he is willing to do anything to get elected or he has allowed himself to be led down this path, which makes me question his judgement. I think his pick of Sarah Palin may be confirmation of both those things.

Posted by Patti in Denver October 30, 08 02:26 PM
  1. I watched and thought he took lessons from Billy Mays.No answers to anything he stateed. did the poor man that had his pension cut from $1900.mo to $375. think Obana will send him the differance.How anyone can be fooled by this man is beyond me.He has been acting for the past month as though he has already been elected.How can this man fix anything with his qualifications.They will eat him alive around the world and in washinton if by some miracle he gets elected.Say what you will about S Palin but she at least knows who the president was in the last depression and that there was no TV at the time.Biden may forget where he lives before its over.I would gladly cast a vote for McCain at least I know he has the backbone for the job

Posted by hightide October 30, 08 02:28 PM
  1. I watched Obamaʻs infomercial and McCainʻs Larry King Live interview one after the other. Obama has things under control and is positive. It is obvious that the man has compassion and really cares about the country. We been through 8 years of lying and hypocrisy and have been accustomed to distrust everyone and everything. Obama is from the heart. He is, by all accounts and everything I have seen, a kind, steady, intelligent and thoughtful man with some real solutions to the problems facing this country. The families that were portrayed, were real and reminded us of what this next president should be about and what has gone so horribly wrong these last 8 years. On the other hand, McCain spent most of his half hour negatively attacking Obama and trying to instill fear into the populace if Obama were to become president, socialism, Ayers, Rezco, and old, negative stuff already debunked back in the primary. This kind of crap gets us nowhere. There seems to be no vision or thoughtfulness in McCain, just palpable distain for his opponent. It was actually very sad.

Posted by Sher24 October 30, 08 02:28 PM
  1. "Although the presentation was good, (love the rustic Oval Office backdrop) he could have offered names of possible cabinet members, how he would implement some of the programs, and how he would "reach accross the aisle".
    As a Republican, he would have got my vote with that."

Beenthere-Donethat, a lot of people might have like hear who he would have in his cabinet, but that would have seemed VERY presumptuous and would have gotten him a lot of trouble. I can just image the new McCain ads. Yikes.

Posted by MGN in Somerville October 30, 08 02:32 PM
  1. Nancy you will likely be very sad on Nov. 5th but it will be better times for America. Obama made a compelling case for his presidency in his infomercial. Its funny to see many a people losing their heads over a 3% tax increase to the richest 2% of the Americans. These brainwashed masses are running around calling names like "Socialist" and "Marxism".
    However if you open your eyes and see, its the Bush administration that grew the government, nationalized the banks and airport security and bailed out the wallstreet with taxpayers money. It is McCain who is suggesting we spend additional 300 billion to buy up bad mortgages from the homeowners and keeping spending 10 billion in Iraq monthly.
    Wake up you people!!

Posted by politicaleye October 30, 08 02:37 PM
  1. To the Hillary democrats who now indicate they are voting for McCain, I say one thing: A woman's right to choose. Would Hillary Clinton really want you to vote to end this?

It was a brutal primary. But don't use that as a reason to elect someone who will create brutal lives for young pregnant girls. Please.

Posted by Dan October 30, 08 02:41 PM
  1. McCain sold out years ago and Im saddened by it. Choosing Palin was not the act of a self assured, leader and manager (and yes the President is a manager). His attacks on Obama and his LETTING others in his campaign attack Obama are not the actions of either an honorable man or a leader. No, Sarah Palin is not qualified and by accepting the position as running mate knowing she was not and in a time when her family needed her most proves that this is no "family values" candidate or party. That statement would be true regardless of the candidates gender.
    I did not watch the infomercial. I already voted for Obama last week absentee.

Posted by Deborah Crane-Foote October 30, 08 03:07 PM
  1. Raising taxes on anyone has a "what goes around, comes around" effect. Tax a manufacturer, they pass on the increase in their product. Tax a corporation, they stop hiring or outsource. Tax individuals/families, they cut back on spending. Why do you Obama supporters think higher taxes are the answer to our economic woes? The economic engine is driven by people spending money on things they don't need such as luxury items, vacations, private schools. Higher taxes mean less disposable income to spend on these items as well as others. Everyone will feel the effect of higher taxes, not just those making 200-250K and up! If you make less, you will pay more for goods and services. Don't be fooled.

Posted by MiddleClassGal October 30, 08 03:14 PM
  1. This is for Keith, number 3 on the comment list:
    "I watched for about 5 minutes...until I heard Barack mention that taxes would increase on families making $200,000 or more...$50,000 less that what he mentioned only a few weeks ago."

Keith, my friend, sometimes you just have to listen to what someone is actually saying. What Obama said was a tax cut for those making $200k or less. For someone who makes $250K-$201K, they don't get a cut, but they don't get a raise either. Everyone over $250K gets a higher tax. So when Obama says no one making under $250K will not see their taxes raised, this is how it works.

Try listening with your mind open!

Posted by Joshua October 30, 08 03:35 PM
  1. Amazing!! Every time I hear him speak I get goose bumps. I have never seen nor heard anyone who can speak and combine facial expressions in such a convincing manner. Come on people admit it this guy makes you want to believe that we can have a better world. Then reality sets in and I put a check on my youthful naivety and let my business mind have a chance to breath. When I do then I realize that it is impossible to do all that he says he will do with our current political structure.
    We have a multi platform system that has dwindled into a two and a half (Dem, Rep, Ind) platform system that is inherently ideology divided. Until the ideology softens and people can find a broader consensus there will be no president that can effectively make lasting change. For Obama to do what he wants to do he would need to be King Obama. Some think that is what we will have with an Obama-Biden Whitehouse backed by the Democratic Party controlling the senate and congress. All that will do is serve to divide the country further and create a more vehement attach from the opposing side to regain control. Now we know why the only real issue that anyone is voting on will be taxes because all the rest is just hype and bull and that my fellow Americans is a sad commentary of our present system. The truthfulness of the people running for office and their handlers that promise to serve our best interests is presented to us in a format that does little to provide clear and decisive TRUTHFUL answers. The constant hype is deafening and maddening to listen to regardless of which side you are on. For an independent like me I find it down right insulting. When I cut through all the hype of endless voice over promises and all the paid pundits pushing their agenda I retrace my thoughts to two points in making many of my decisions concerning humans, they are individual moral fiber and a track record to back it up. On that score I have to choose MaCain. The next is taxes and the redistribution of wealth. I hate my present tax rate of 28% but I am not apposed to paying a little more for a short period of time if I though that or totally dysfunctional government could spend it wisely. Has anyone ever thought how much it cost the government to but together the last stimulus package and mail out all those checks! Nothing the government does is efficient and cost effective that is why we have a privatized postal system. Having vented on that issue I will repeat that I would not be opposed to a short term tax increase in principle but that comment about redistribution of wealth cut real deep. He was caught with out his handler’s protection or scripted content and is true ideology slipped out. Then Obama tested the political winds and thinking that he had the majority on his side stood tall to proclaim over and over again that he believes in redistribution. Well great I’m all for it and he should start by taking 50% of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Ellis, Dell and the Google boy’s personal fortune to start. That would give him about 100 billion and give $200K to every family making under $50k. They can never spend that money any way right? WRONG!
    This is America the land or the free and home of the brave. I am free and I am brave and I will fight on to regain any losses incurred because I live in a country that allows me to do that. To reach for a dream as big and I can dream it. To take risk and put it all on the line knowing I could fail but believing in myself to succeed. To endure sleepless nights and worry how to make ends meet but knowing that through true grit and determination I would succeed. For a candidate running for the highest office to tell me he wants to take from me to give to someone less fortunate is scary and I say NO WAY! If he wants to give them something I have give then figure out how to give them my desire to succeed, my determination to win and my belief in myself that I can. Give them the desire to reach for their dreams and not shrink away in fear or at least to have respect for those who try and succeed where they fear to go. The dream of success is what has made this country the beacon of hope to the many people who come to our great country with the dream of owning a Dunkin Donuts a Days Inn or a Seven Eleven. If Obama would do that then he would not need to redistribute my hard earned wealth by restarting the failed government welfare programs of the 60’s 70’s and 80’s that Bill Clinton worked so hard to change. I’m a firm believer in education and we should totally revamp the education system and teach the dream and how to properly achieve it and how to evaluate who we are as individuals and what part we would play in the dream. I believe in hiring the absolute best teacher for our children and pay them handsomely for it but not without proof of ability. For America to be competitive they must first have a competitive spirit. If 5% of Americas are ultra competitive and another 10% have a somewhat competitive nature, which seems to be indicative of the income brackets we hear so much about, imagine what would happen if we instill greater passion to compete with the education to succeed.

I don’t need to tell you that Obama will not get my vote regardless of how good he makes me feel every time I hear him speak.

Posted by John Morina October 30, 08 03:44 PM
  1. I am amazed at how many people say that Obama is an eloquent speaker, and how calm he is. Of coarse he is. With the media firmly covering his back and no tough questions it is easy to look good. Has anyone checked out the video of Biden on CBS when Barbara West quoted Marx and asked Biden if redistribution was socialist? Biden never answered the question. Obama got angry and told CBS that Biden and his wife would not do anymore interviews with CBS. When Joe the plumber asked a tough question his personal information was pulled up illegally 3 times. Police are investigating. The Dispatch then reported that Joe owed taxes. Twisted truth. He owes, but had not been sent the bill yet so he could not have known. Don't you think it is frightening that if you speak against Obama someone will check into your background? Does this remind anyone of Russia. Oh yeah. Check out Obama & Saul Alinsky (known Communist) Alinsky's son David said that Obama learned his lessons well from his father (Saul Alinsky). All of this in right there on the internet and there are pictures to go with it. As for the informercial. Who would think that Obama would say anything different than he has been saying. Also remember that deregulation was voted in in 1999 and that the Democrats have been in control of Congress for the past two years.

Posted by Cynthia Lewis October 30, 08 04:59 PM
  1. As an undecided voter, I felt that Obama made clear statements on how he is going to help the American people without negativity or mincing words. Since watching this ad, I'm definitely voting Obama!

Posted by MLW October 30, 08 05:00 PM
  1. Obama's campaign is a testament to his organizational, management and leadership skills. He has run a successful campaign by winning over people who had absolutely no reason to choose him. Nothing close can be said of McCain. He is a disorganized, hysterically egotistical, erratic old man who has little or no vision for this country other than seeing himself at the top. His compulsive decisions are symptomic of an impatient childish George-Bush like man. McCain is bright but narrow, incurious, and eternally angry. A much younger beautiful wife wasn’t enough. He wasted $25 million in campaign donations by overspending nearly sinking his campaign in August 2007. He had no choice then to return to his straight talk express. Yet he quickly abandoned that when his handlers told him he needed to win the Republican base. So he flopped over to pretending to be a right wing conservative and began slinging mud trying to win this campaign. He is out of ideas as most all Republicans are. They don’t like government. They like power. They disqualify. They do not lift up. McCain and his campaign repeatedly lie. Joe the Plumber is a lie. They live a lie. They project this lie onto Obama and democrats. McCain has and will lie to America if he is elected. To woo the base he picked a frightfully inexperienced and incoherent running mate, an Alaskan socialist, Sarah Palin, who isn’t conscientiousness enough to even realize when she’s flip-flopping. She is simply a female clown. A winking babbling girl who says she loves Jesus but carts her children out before a jeering hockey audience. Republican’s cling to the hope that they can win by destroying. They are brutes, war makers, haters, and religious zealots.

Posted by stevessv October 30, 08 06:02 PM
  1. Just a note for Keith (#3 above):

Keith, the deal is that if you make less than $200,000 a year you'll get a tax cut. If you make between $200,000 and $250,000 your taxes will stay the same. If you make over $250,000 your taxes will go up.

Is that clear? It's pretty straightforward. It also has the added benefit of being what Obama has been saying all along. In his stump speech for the last month he has said--I'm quoting here:

"If you make less than a quarter million dollars (that's $250,000 Keith) your taxes will not go up. In fact, most of you will see your taxes go down (this is the under $200,000 part). For those of you who make over a quarter million a year, you can expect modest tax increases."

Hope that helps you make up your mind, Keith.

Best,
    JGR

Posted by JGR October 30, 08 06:03 PM
  1. Greater Than $250K, Tax Increase.
    Less Than $200K, Tax Decrease.

Very simple. $200k to $250K, no change.

Is our children learning yet?

Posted by Worddoctor Doug October 30, 08 07:31 PM
  1. Does not the small amounts of contributions that people have made which has added up to the historic grand total of 600 Million dollars by itself a very strong indication of what their voting will be?

Posted by Mur-Lee October 31, 08 01:06 AM
  1. many negative comments about this infomercial were removed by the moderators, as someone who wrote one of those comments, I know there wasn't anything mean or derogatory. Comments I saw on here earlier are missing and those were also not negative, just regular comments. We are once again seeing an active campaign by our media to distort the truth and make Obama look better then he is. What a shame, when we lose an unbiased media we lose our democracy. I doubt this comment will even go through.

Posted by Cee Rubin October 31, 08 10:57 AM
  1. All it takes is a preacher-like voice in a 30 minute buy-your-vote infomercial to get your vote. Some of you people really scare me. To think, some of you may even be my neighbor. USA will be in real trouble with Obama in command. Not to mention, we will need to be prepared for another 9/11 type episode.

McCain = safe America
    Obama = troubled America

This is the best job of brainwashing I have ever witnessed. Obama/Wright/Biden Come on people.....WAKE UP!

Posted by Coach111 October 31, 08 11:17 AM
  1. As an undecided I was convinced not to vote for Obama after his silly infomercial. He's become too much of a salesman and I still don't see any proof in his record that he has ever stuck to his word or put this country above himself. I'm frankly just tired of all the hollywood hype surrounding him- and I hope people will acutally look at the record and not just the glamour. I'm backing McCain!

Posted by ESM October 31, 08 12:57 PM
  1. I don't know why, but I just read through every comment here, which was both depressing and frustrating.

I would really love to respond to every single fatuous and unsubstantiated comment, to everyone who just repeated a talking point from either campaign - but there's no real point.

I support Obama, but you guys supporting either candidate should really take a second look at both candidates' message - 'change' - and consider whether implying we'll be electing on Tuesday either the best/worst/most inexperienced/most arrogant/etc. candidate, is based on fact, rather than stubbornness and the need to feel like you're part of something.

If you disagree with everything I say, just please, please, please, don't vote for any of the following reasons:

- Hillary (She and her people voted for the rules governing votes. She did not get enough votes. And to the two people who said it's really Congress who make decisions - what kind of an argument is that!? Congress makes decisions, therefore Obama won't get anything done, therefore vote for McCain? That's a pathetic and transparent argument. Admit to yourself you don't like Obama, ask yourself why, and do some research on what you don't like about him. Then make an informed, rational decision.)
    - Marxist/Socialist fear (He's not a socialist. He's returning tax level to approx. the same level during 1990s.)
    - Wright/Ayers (Do some research for about 30-45 minutes.)
    - Palin (It annoys me when people call Bush or Palin an idiot. Do you think they got to where they are with an IQ of 70? Sure, she might not be an intellectual, but she's not going to be the next James Buchanan.)
    - Obama's too slick (What does this mean? He sounds intelligent? Is that a bad thing?)
    - Obama's birth certificate (Do 10-15 minutes of research.)
    - Obama's too presumptuous by airing an infomercial, being in a white house-esque setting, etc. (Therefore, McCain is the better President?)
    - Obama's not specific enough on policies (I'm pretty sure he's published it all, detailed, on the website.)
    - McCain's too negative (Does this impact on his potential performance as a president?)
    - Obama's too weak (What are you basing this on?)

I notice most start with Obama. Well, there you have it.

I will respond to one comment in particular, the message of which I've seen repeated.
    "Does anyone understand what companies will do when you raise said taxes on corporations? They will either deliver less profits which negatively impacts share price (not an option) lower top executive pay (not an option) or layoff workers and ask the remaining workers to work harder to make up the difference. BINGO!!!"

This is not proven, and to suggest this statement is either completely true or completely false, and moreso to base your vote upon that assumption, is a bad idea. Obama's plan will restore tax levels to the state of the 1990s. Whether that is a good or bad thing to do in a time of recession, and whether Bush's tax plan failed just due to circumstance is up for debate, but again to suggest like it's been proven that Obama's policies are sure to screw over businesses is a huge leap of faith, and if you still believe so, something tells me you probably weren't going to vote for him anyway.

"Obama will cause the entire free market of this country to implode with his tax increase to the "wealthiest" businesses and individuals. When Obama realizes that the top 5% of taxpayers have talented teams of financial advisors who can hide their money legally, he will have no choice but to start taxing the 95% he promised not to tax. While multi-million dollar companies move their business headquarters overseas to avoid giant tax increases, the American people will lose jobs. For those of you still on the fence, remember that Obama's tax plan will only benefit those who don't work and don't pay taxes, because you can't lose what you don't have."

What are you basing this on? Who told you this? Again, Obama will return tax levels to approximately the level of the 1990s.

Obama and McCain's policies are essentially the same. As for foreign policy, they'll probably do mostly the same thing. Obama will remove troops from Iraq - McCain likely will too, if slightly later, given the recent announcements by the Iraqi government. As for sitting down without conditions, the Bush administration has been doing that recently, so it's not a valid criticism of either candidate.

Healthcare? There's a difference. Tax plan? There's a difference. But I think the vast majority of you are too lazy and uninterested to actually go to both candidates' websites, read up on the policies, and then get some independent analysis. The reality is both candidates would probably do well, Obama serving as a slightly left-centrist, McCain as a moderate conservative. Obama's plans will be hampered by the economic crisis, just as McCain will probably have to rethink his military strategy in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

If you're too lazy to do any real research, google 'frontline the choice 2008' and watch the PBS documentary on YouTube.

Posted by Michael October 31, 08 07:29 PM
  1. If u do the math 4.8mil to 6.7 I say pushing daisies won at about 1/10 the money spent and still made ad $ at the same time LOL

Posted by john November 2, 08 09:11 AM
  1. Obama-Biden RULES...I wish I could Vote...McCains goin 2 die sooner or lata anyways and Palin Is a shop-a-holic and is going to mess this country up once McCain dies but thats another story cuz Obama Is Goin 2 Be The Winnnnneeeerrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Love Obama November 2, 08 01:21 PM