Maddow Gets Her Own MSNBC Show

Posted by Matthew Gilbert  August 20, 2008 05:52 AM

maddow.jpg

I do enjoy Keith Olbermann on MSNBC's "Countdown." But I'm always glad when he goes on vacation and Rachel Maddow sits in for him. She's a tart, smart liberal, and she always has a wry smile in her voice. When she asks the experts those loaded, heavily spun "Countdown" questions, she's clearly having a good old time. Maddow also knows how to think fast on her feet, a quality that is surprisingly rare in the world of media talking heads.

Turns out Maddow, 35, is getting her own series on the male-dominated cable channel beginning Sept. 8, in the 9 p.m. timeslot now presided over by Dan Abrams. (Abrams will continue to appear on NBC and MSNBC shows.) Maddow's show will arrive just in time for the final stages of the presidential campaign -- definitely a smart move by MSNBC -- and Maddow is sure to make the channel's lineup into a happy nightly liberal-a-thon. Network president Phil Griffin tells the New York Times, “This just completes our prime-time lineup. Our lineup makes sense now.”

By the way, the ever-mischievous Maddow, who has been a host on Air America radio since 2004, is an out lesbian who splits her time between New York and western Massachusetts (where she worked for WRNX in Amherst and WRSI in Northampton). She lives with her partner, artist Susan Mikula. She doesn't fit the stereotype of the female news personality in any way, and I really think -- and hope -- the world is ready for her. What do you think?

1. Rachel is a great news person- and more than a talking head, in my opinion. I really look forward to her show. Though I like Dan Abrams, once he's wrapped up the Race 08 portion of his show, he seems to dwell on "sex bunker" and "abducted attractive white woman" stories like the sleaziest of new outlets are wont to do. So this will be a definite improvement.

Posted by dj BC August 20, 08 09:40 AM
  1. She's as dumb as a box of rocks. I've never heard an original thought come out of her mouth.

Posted by Janine August 20, 08 10:11 AM
  1. Wicked good news!

Posted by Gary August 20, 08 10:21 AM
  1. While I'm not sure what her sexuality has to do with anything, I certainly believe that, if the world itself isn't ready for her, certainly the MSNBC viewers are and, perhaps if we're lucky, some new ones as well. Rachel brings an intellectual prowess and sagaciousness to the world of political commentary that very few Olbermann excepted, of course, do.

Haven't we had enough of the Katie Couric, cutesy and commensurately shallow policital news in America?

Posted by Armand Circharo, Nashua, NH August 20, 08 10:26 AM
  1. I have to quote another news story headline that read
    "We're gay for Rachel Maddow". I love her and enjoy her
    commentary and views on the world at hand. I especially
    enjoyed the breaking news with Keith yesterday, where she
    said that she would be covering much more than politics,
    and quite possibly have a house band . . . lol. She is just
    what we need and I believe she is the Cherry (no pun intended)
    on MSNBC's cake. Watch Out Fox Noise!

Posted by Daniel Pino August 20, 08 10:26 AM
  1. Great news! Rachel Maddow is smart and funny and I thoroughly enjoy her on the radio and on TV.
    MSNBC should be congratulated for putting her on the air with her own show.

Posted by Karen August 20, 08 10:27 AM
  1. She and David Gergen are the only intelligent commentators on TV.

Posted by Peter August 20, 08 10:28 AM
  1. It's about time! Rachel is both intelligent and entertaining - a combination that's hard to find. This is great news. (By the way, Janine - "dumb as a box of rocks". Yeah, that's how you get to be a Rhodes Scholar. Do your homework!)

Posted by Tina August 20, 08 10:33 AM
  1. Janine (post #2), dumb and unoriginal? Disagree with Rachel Maddow but please, as I tell my two year old, "use your words"...

Posted by Michael Levinsky August 20, 08 10:34 AM
  1. I've been listening to her since her earliest days on Air America radio and I have always been a fan. It's about time she got her own show! She's easily got 60 years of wisdom and intellect packed into a 35 year old head.

Posted by Cat August 20, 08 10:39 AM
  1. Only a truly stupid person could call Rachel Maddow "dumb as a box of rocks". She's bright, witty, well-informed and a total breath of fresh air. Well done, MSNBC.

Posted by Padraig August 20, 08 10:53 AM
  1. Can't wait til September 9th! I always look forward to seeing Rachel Maddow on Olbermann, whether she's a guest or hosting for Keith. I always forget to tune into Air America, but now I can watch her right after Olbermann! By the way Janine, if you feel that Rachel Maddow doesn't have an original thought, I'm guessing that you're also a McCain supporter???

Posted by Zach August 20, 08 10:55 AM
  1. Maddow fits in perfectly with MSNBC's extreme left-wing biased shows. Objectivity doesn't fit in with MSNBC's agenda. No wonder Fox News beats them in the ratings. A foregin language channel gets higher ratings than MSNBC.

Posted by Janet August 20, 08 11:22 AM
  1. Great...just what we need, another MSNBC 9pm slotter that will last 3-6 months.

Posted by Bill O'Reilly August 20, 08 11:25 AM
  1. I'm happy to hear she got her own show as well. I also like Olbermann and the fact that he counter-punches and mocks the right as much as he does, but he's prone to excesses I don't see with Maddow. I do wish they'd kept Tucker Carlson's show on the air-- he always had a sense of fair play, seemed interested in what his guests brought to the table, and never lost his sense of humor. I think Carlson's show added some breadth to the channel, and even though no one seemed to watch, I think his show is missed. Congrats to Maddow on her show though.

Posted by Brent August 20, 08 11:26 AM
  1. Maddow - Congrats !! about time- I will be watching...... Go get'em girl !

Posted by nick cavale August 20, 08 11:37 AM
  1. Well, at least she won't get a tingle up her leg when the great Obama speaks....

Posted by jod61 August 20, 08 11:40 AM
  1. Why does the "news" need to be partisan? All shows like this are about is reinforcing people's beliefs. Basically, these "pundits" go on the air and tell people that they are right to believe what they do. What we really need is news. We need money to be spent on real, investigative reporting, not someone who wants to give their opinion on a nightly basis. But, opinion is much more profitable, so thats what we get.

Posted by Mark August 20, 08 11:42 AM
  1. I haven't been to Northampston in years.

Posted by John August 20, 08 11:45 AM
  1. my gosh

can you imagine john chancellor having segment of "the worst person in the owrld" like Olberman and then hrs later being impartial host of debate or election news? my god what happened to that once fine network... Huntley and brinkley would turn in their graves...

Posted by jim morris August 20, 08 11:47 AM
  1. Dr. Maddow is awesome!

She's the perfect antidote to the poison spewed by the "fair & balanced" morons dominating the cable news channels.

She's articulate and concise with a great sense of humor.

I look forward to watching her on a regular basis

Posted by JD August 20, 08 11:47 AM
  1. Great move. Smart, tough, authentic progressive who's fun and can push back fast with intellect not just noise. I am glad to be going through the final days of the election with a top seat for Rachel. You're a potential Russert, Rachel. Go for it!

Posted by Mary Anne Burns August 20, 08 11:48 AM
  1. Will she allow a conservative on her show? I mean we have to keep he fairness doctrine alive and well.

Posted by Pete August 20, 08 11:48 AM
  1. I love love love Rachel Maddow and listened to her on Air America until they lost their airwaves in Boston. She has a well developed sense of the ironic and exposes the stupid with glee, yet she is cheerful and funny with it. What a GREAT move by MSNBC.

Posted by Catherine Clark August 20, 08 11:59 AM
  1. Rachel is great. Rhodes Scholar. Very funny. We need a woman commentator who is not a total tart. I love her! MSNBC has a new viewer for the 9:00 slot!

Posted by lisa August 20, 08 12:41 PM
  1. Rachel is both smart and objective, and her reporting is always based on facts that she can prove. It's been a way too long since we've seen that approach! While she's got a progressive attitude, she has never 'ranted' in the manner or Randi Rhodes and always presents her stories with good humor and facts. This is a fantastic move on MSNBC's part and I applaud them for it.

Posted by Ariel August 20, 08 12:53 PM
  1. I adore her, and am very glad to see that she's getting her own show.

She's very sharp and can also be very funny, without the sarcasm and harshness that Keith Olbermann is often guilty of .

She will be a breath of fresh air that will be much appreciated as the Presidential campaign chugs into high gear.

Posted by Amy August 20, 08 01:03 PM
  1. I think MSNBC has abandoned the objectivity because they think that the FOX outlet was cleaning house on ratings by catering to the Right Wing, so they decided to grab the Left Wing.

I am from her generation and it is pretty tiring to hear the same smug nonsense and these geeky know-it-alls thinking they have a clue. I'm kind of done with the stupid sarcastic humor. I don't think Ellen D., Steven Colbert, or even that guy from the Village Voice is funny; it is the same joke.

I don't like seeing these metrosexuals with designer glasses smugly being critical of people who have dedicated their lives for our benefit.

Rachael Maddow and Keith Olberman made some joke about John McCain wearing "Depends" diapers. John McCain spent 5 years at a Vietnam Prison Camp being tortured. What type of vermin would be disrespectful of someone who offered that type of sacrifice for his country. What on earth has Rachel Maddow or Keith Olberman done to serve their country?

Liberals are getting a bad name because of Keith Olbermans and Keith Olberman. Democrats used to deserve respect because they represented the working class and the middle class. Rachel Maddow represents the disrespectful smug know-it-alls. Because they are so nasty and toxic they will corrode support for their cause.

I bet the Boston Globe writers love her and don't batt an eye when she makes Depends jokes about McCain's age. The Globe needs to clean house too.

The danger of Socialism is that people aren't industrious, they think government needs to provide. People like Rachel Maddow and Keith Olberman and many of the Globe writers see themselves as smug spectators that judge others. They don't see any due dilligence related to their own roles. They don't see how their incompetence can lead to real problems of our society. MSNBC has pretty much become a campaign office for Barack Obama. The Globe doesn't seems to filter out many of my posts. The socialistic practice goes from being slothfully lazy like many countries in Europe to being hyper aggressive like the NAZI's. The Globe shouldn't filter out posts that don't align with their liberal views. It is dangerous when they do.

So all you liberal smug know it alls, you're going to listen to her and Keith Olberman to validate your delusions? Olberman only invites on guests that wholeheartedly agree with him. He is in a total bubble. I remember one night Keith Olberman was so mad because Democrats weren't voting against funding the War. Obama voted to fund $300 Billion, and then voted against the Surge. The "Surge" idea came from McCain, he wrote a letter to George W. Bush asking for it. Well, Barack Obama was one of those limp politicians that didn't even have the courage to retreat from Iraq. Now that we're close to winning he won't even be honest about trying to retreat. I find Maddow to be intellectually dishonest.

Posted by Hoped into Submission by Obama August 20, 08 01:07 PM
  1. "Basically, these "pundits" go on the air and tell people that they are right to believe what they do. What we really need is news."

A Rhodes Scholar with a PhD in PolySci I'd say Rachel deserves a bit more than the dubious (these days) pundit title. What exactly is "news" anyway? That seems to depend on what channel you choose to watch. As evidenced by her radio show, Rachel has been a tireless reporter of the un(der)-reported. She uses (egad!) facts to form her opinions and commentary which is much more than can be said for so many of her "peers".

I'll definitely be watching her show.

Posted by figowitt August 20, 08 01:47 PM
  1. I had been thinking of lobbying for Rachel to be the new host of "Meet The Press", but this is a good deal too. I've enjoyed her commentary and insights on every show that I have seen her on and I'm so happy that MSNBC has recognized what a great talent she is. I'm looking forward to her new show very much!

Posted by Jane August 20, 08 02:08 PM
  1. I'd like to ask Matthew Gilbert one question, and I'd LOVE it if he would answer it for me. What exactly does Rachel Maddow's sexuality have to do with the story?

Posted by Tim August 20, 08 02:34 PM
  1. I'm real happy to see her get her own show and I'm looking forward to seeing what she'll do with it. I like Olberman's humor and knowledge but frankly get tired of his over the top special comments, selective one sided views and his silly guest comics he has at the end of his shows. I'm hoping that given a little time Rachel will have one the best shows on cable; she's certainly got the goods.

Posted by Al C August 20, 08 02:35 PM
  1. No way, MSNBC gives a show to a liberal commentator.

And to whoever suggested her taking over for Mett the Press, you're joking right?

Posted by Not Drinking the Kool Aid August 20, 08 02:45 PM
  1. Dear Hoped into Submission: John McCain was not tortured by the Viet Cong. According to the Bush Administration, he was subjected to "enhanced interrogation" techniques. And they see nothing wrong with that.....and neither, apparently, does Senator McCain, at least not anymore.

I find you to be intellectually dishonest. Or at least dishonest, anyway. Not particularly intellectual....

Posted by Bill Stathis August 20, 08 02:58 PM
  1. I really think this was a smart move for MSNBC because I had thought awhile back while watching her on one of the news shows on MSNBC that they should give her her own show. I didn't know anything at all about her, but knew she came across well on tv.

Posted by JR August 20, 08 03:12 PM
  1. Congrats to Rachel! Not sure why it was told of her sexual preference, it has nothing to do with what she does. She's just what MSNBC needs, a liberal who can think for herself, unlike those at Faux News...bunch of talking heads, there.

She's loaded with facts to help form her opinion, and I will be watching every night.

Posted by Lyn W August 20, 08 03:24 PM
  1. Nice to see that Keith Olbermann - a raving lunatic - has been replaced.
    Maddow is a "smart liberal"? That is an oxymoron like "jumbo shrimp".

Dammit! I see she is replacing Abrams - too eager to read misery into the mention of Keith Olbermann.

Posted by Richard August 20, 08 03:37 PM
  1. Hoped into Submission...You nailed it.

I never would have believed there are 50 MSNBC lemmings (viewers) in existence...the entire viewership of MSNDC and Bore America must have posted here. Let them all rejoice in the news that "Nasty and Toxic" (the new show featuring Olberman and Maddow) will deliver us from evil (Bush, of course), mock a war hero, and deliver us the TRUTH according to the gospel of ...Barack Obama???? (Kind of a letdown).

Maybe she can borrow Keith Olberman's stupid eyeglasses.

Posted by Dave NS August 20, 08 04:15 PM
  1. "I'd like to ask Matthew Gilbert one question, and I'd LOVE it if he would answer it for me. What exactly does Rachel Maddow's sexuality have to do with the story?"

Honestly, it shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with it. But we're a nation with a culture of "Firsts". We do it all the time. Look at our "Historical" presidential race. Firsts everywhere and we can't stop talking about that aspect of it.

Obama won't make a better or worse president because of his ethnicity and Rachel's abilities are neither enhanced nor dectracted by her sexuality... they're just "firsts".

Posted by figowitt August 20, 08 05:11 PM
  1. Being an openly gay news-show anchor is still significant in this world, and not just because the media makes it so. I wish that weren't the case. I wish we were all colorblind and unconcerned with sexual orientation

No, we aren't post-race or post-orientation or post-gender yet, but we are further along the road thanks to pioneers like Maddow and Obama and Hilary Clinton..

Posted by Matthew August 20, 08 05:42 PM
  1. Rachel Maddow's sexual orientation has nothing to do with this story. My concern about her having a show dates back to the shameless misogynist attacks on Hillary Clinton and how Rachel Maddow played along. It was equal parts childish jealousy of a woman who is much more accomplished than she is and equal parts self loathing.

I listened to Rachel when she was on Air America a few years back and that morning show was incoherent and off-topic more than on. I too wonder what happened to the liberal wing of the Democratic party that used to respect women and working Americans.

Posted by Don Edmond August 20, 08 06:00 PM
  1. I'm still somewhat nostalgic for Bill Moyer's form of journalism; serious, outraged, and unapologetic (perhaps even somewhat academic?). Too many liberal journalists hide behind sarcasm, irony and wit. Perhaps that's what it takes today to inform through entertainment and remain on the air.

Still, I do very much like Maddow. I think it was obvious she was being 'groomed' for her own show. She's much better than Abram's Verdict anyway.

Posted by Todd August 20, 08 07:20 PM
  1. Figowitt, I understand what you are saying to a degree, but I mean, really, I don't see why being "openly-gay" is worthy of note. It's only important because for some reason we have an unusual infatuation with people's sexuality and what they do behind closed doors. It's important because we make it important, so to speak, not because it actually matters. So why does it matter? Because it's a "first"? So what! You can find a "first" in any presidential campaign or any other kind of situation if you want to look hard enough for it ... I think a discussion of one's sexual orientation/preference (wherever you fall on that side of the debate) is utterly irrelevant in this case, and unfortunately detracts from a discussion or examination of Ms. Maddow's qualifications for the role (her sexuality not being a qualification).

I guess in a blog posting a TV reporter is allowed to let his personal opinions flow freely. Mr. Gilbert apparently is quite fond of Ms. Maddow. Many others are not. I hope Mr. Gilbert takes extreme care to keep his personal opinions and bias out of his news reportage.

Posted by Tim August 20, 08 07:25 PM
  1. I'm thrilled that Dr. Maddow has gotten her own show at last. I've been listening to her since the "Unfiltered" days on Air America. Her intelligence and good humor made her a stand out.

'Bout time!

Posted by Phoebe August 20, 08 08:05 PM
  1. This is truly the left's attempt to balance the success of talk-radio. Unfortunately they have been disguising themselves as unbiased so when Dr. Maddow fills in she only exposes Olberman for the hypocrat he is. I wish MSNBC would admit that it is in the tank with liberals. People who listen to talk radio know they are listening to a conservative point of view but MSNBC is still a 'closet' liberal voice.

Posted by Sherri August 21, 08 12:00 AM
  1. Will MSNBC now admit that it has a liberal bias? Between Maddow, KO, and Matthews, they are all liberal, all the time. If people are going to harp on Fox for being conservative, they need to have the intellectual honesty to harp on MSNBC.

Posted by Brian F. August 21, 08 06:26 AM
  1. Wicked good news!

Posted by Gary August 21, 08 06:32 AM
  1. Although a liberal, Maddow does espouse fairness in dealing with conservatives and their ideas. Problem is conservatives don't play fair and see any opportunity to commit political piracy as "fair and balanced".

Rachel Maddow exposes this topic after topic.

Go Rach!!

Posted by Dave Welch August 21, 08 06:33 AM
  1. Rachel is brilliant-love listening to her. She deserves her own show-good move MSNBC!!!!!!!

Posted by Vicki Ellefson-her biggest fan August 21, 08 06:44 AM
  1. Stanford , Oxford, Rhodes Scholar - How did you get so smart Janine?

Posted by Larry August 21, 08 06:47 AM
  1. Another neo Stalinist on a Marxist news station (PMSNBC) in the tank for Obama.

Posted by Joel Gordon August 21, 08 07:21 AM
  1. I am so excited! To me this marks a huge transition- while orientation should have nothing to do with intellect, too often anyone outside the social norm is deemed as having nothing pertinent to say to society at large. If Maddow is getting her own show maybe people are starting to rise above the pre-canned, fear-inducing ideals that plague America.

Posted by Paige August 21, 08 07:34 AM
  1. Journalism 101: hear from both sides on issues.
    The fact is FoxNews has many liberal commentators. FoxNews when analyzing issues, hears from spokespeople on both sides of the issue.
    Countdown does not! Nor will Ms.Maddow's shows....
    MSNBC's shows are liberal pablum for brain-dead lefties, and Keith Olberman is a raving lunatic.
    Yeah, congrats for disgracing the once-proud peacock network, now a house organ for the Left !

Posted by Bob August 21, 08 07:38 AM
  1. Rachel for VP!!! Brilliant and educated....always kind, quiet, a breath of fresh air....relief from pen/hand waving Hanity and Buchanen 'types'...thank heaven for little girls!!!

Posted by jmackenzie August 21, 08 07:48 AM
  1. My husband and I have been hoping for this move in Rachel's career. She is excellent on her radio show with a different, but very important, focus than other liberal talk shows and certainly than the corporate media. She is also highly educational in that I understand the issues so much better after listening to her, but I don't feel lectured to.

Posted by Judy Tyler August 21, 08 07:49 AM
  1. I've been a Rachel fan since her days on RSI when she would describe how much fun she and her dad had "talking politics." She's really, really smart and just as funny. And, she lives in the best part of Massachusetts where we don't suffer fools gladly and she has lots of fans. Good job, Rachel. You deserve this.

Posted by Pat B. August 21, 08 07:53 AM
  1. Great ! MSNBC needed another Liberal kook.

Posted by Jackie August 21, 08 08:35 AM
  1. "This is truly the left's attempt to balance the success of talk-radio. Unfortunately they have been disguising themselves as unbiased so when Dr. Maddow fills in she only exposes Olberman for the hypocrat he is. I wish MSNBC would admit that it is in the tank with liberals. People who listen to talk radio know they are listening "to a conservative point of view but MSNBC is still a 'closet' liberal voice."

I wish Fox would admit that they are not "fair and balanced". They should just admit that they are a right wing propaganda network that is leading all of the "sheep" to their slaughter. And by the way conservative talk radio is dull, and regressive. As FDR once stated .....
    "A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. "

Great choice by MSNBC! Congrats to Rachel. Now I can watch MSNBC at 8 an

Posted by Brendan August 21, 08 08:45 AM
  1. To quote Sherri...... "This is truly the left's attempt to balance the success of talk-radio. Unfortunately they have been disguising themselves as unbiased so when Dr. Maddow fills in she only exposes Olberman for the hypocrat he is. I wish MSNBC would admit that it is in the tank with liberals. People who listen to talk radio know they are listening "to a conservative point of view but MSNBC is still a 'closet' liberal voice."

Great choice by MSNBC! Congrats to Rachel. Now I can watch MSNBC at 8 an

Posted by Brendan August 21, 08 08:47 AM
  1. Good for her!!!!!!!

Posted by bill August 21, 08 08:47 AM
  1. Thanks for pointing out the typo, John. It's now corrected.
    MG

Posted by Matthew Gilbert August 21, 08 09:00 AM
  1. She's gay? I'm shocked.

Posted by Asdrubal August 21, 08 09:38 AM
  1. Rachel has an enormous depth of knowledge. I first became addicted to listening to her when she had a morning show on Air America. I swear she had read all the newspapers by 7AM. She explained in depth the important news of the day and had a ball making fun of the nonsense. MSNBC has made a brilliant move to give her a show. However, by 9PM we will have had the rest of the MSNBC lineup. I hope her goal will be to provide some depth to a few issues rather than rehashing all of the news of the day. On her Air America show on August 11th she provided a clear explanation of the history and current situation in Georgia. It was great. Her wonderful sense of humor coupled with substantive information should be a recipe for a great show. I can't wait!

Posted by PJ Adler August 21, 08 09:49 AM
  1. another msnbc-obama loon. this chick typifies the lear jet liberal. the wry smile is actually a smug smirk, to let us all know she is above the hoi polloi. and why should i care if she's gay? love the hair cut though

Posted by john o'toole August 21, 08 10:55 AM
  1. I've watched her on "road to the white house"on MSNBC so I can get a liberal perspective on news (along with other sources of course). I liked the guy who used to moderate - thought, for MSNBC, he was rather fair. Maddow on the other hand, does little but spout the Left's talking points. I find her very abrasive and difficult to listen to/watch.

Based on the ratings at MSNBC, I don't think many peolle will notice the changes...

Posted by Tony August 21, 08 11:08 AM
  1. I love seeing the moronic jay severin audience going apes#%t over Maddow getting a show. Hey DUMMIES - if MSNBC is so in the tank for liberals, why did they fire their most liberal host (Donahue) and why have they employed or continue to employ Joe Scarborogh, Tucker Carlson, Alan Keyes, Michael Savage, Pat Buchannan, Jay Severin, Michael Smerconish and have as guests countless right wing nutjobs?

Posted by Paul August 21, 08 11:24 AM
  1. As a Conservative I will watch Rachel just to hear other points of view that are well thought out minus the unpleasant nastiness from Keith O. As far as "poison being spewed" from that other network, you clearly don't really watch, merely parrot what others have told, Same goes for the Rush haters. Will miss Dan, though I disagree with him a lot politically.

Posted by Karen August 21, 08 11:33 AM
  1. Great news about Rachel - she's a genuine talent and much deserves her own slot. Now - is it me, or does she bear a striking resemblance to Peyton Manning?

Posted by jim crick August 21, 08 12:01 PM
  1. The fairness doctrine is always in force at MSNBS, where the talk is usually fair, sometimes poor, and rarely good - since the death of Tim Russert.

The real Fairness Doctrine went out shortly after Reagan came in. Had you not noticed, or were you joking? Might be a good idea to bring it back, voluntarily. Imagine the great PR if NBC had as its slogan, "the only network where fairness is is the rule."

I do think Maddow stands out as one of a few commentators to make interesting and intelligent points. She's also shown a nice personality when filling in as host. Definitely an improvement over loudmouth Abrams. Now they just need to move Mr tingle up my leg Chris Matthews and his chalk on blackboard voice off the host chair and relegate him to analyst. And one more thing...bump the narcissist Keith Oberman back to sports where he belongs.

Posted by sj August 21, 08 12:03 PM
  1. ehhh. Not that exciting, she does well when she is parroting KO on his show. However sometimes she takes on dissenting opinions when she is a guest on Harball. She is smart but I don't think she has the presence to be a tv host. She will be gone by Christmas.

Posted by Josh August 21, 08 12:25 PM
  1. For the people who think rachel is dumb. She happens to be a doctor of political science. How much do you know about politics? Obviously, very little. I have to congradulate NBC for finally allowing some truth to get over the air waves instead of the constant corporate owned "so called news'. This election is more important than the majority of the the people realize. AMERICA IS GOING DOWN THE TUBES. Rachel you're the best. We need a lot more truth. Keep it coming girl. We need a lot more like you. CONGRATS!!!!! PS, I saw it coming

Posted by Judi August 21, 08 12:29 PM

I'll definitely be watching her show.

Posted by Figowitt August 21, 08 12:39 PM
  1. Olbermann has made me watch anything other than MSNBC, I doubt she'll change that.

Posted by doug August 21, 08 12:39 PM
  1. Hooray for Rachel !!!
    But Rachel, you have to say "MMBUSHHH"
    Congratulation, you deserve it and are quite qualified for the position.

MH

Posted by Maritza August 21, 08 01:09 PM
  1. thank god/ godess/ universe - whatever.

but, please, can we leave the sexual orientation out of it? she's a brilliant journalist, can think on her feet and relate to people. intelligent, incredibly well informed, terrific sense of humor, sharp wit and generally two steps ahead of whomever she's interviewing. but "lesbian?" she may be good for our image but that's beside the point.

do we see this mirrored elsewhere? (other than not-too-much-longer-to-be minorities? hispanic singer; asian librarian; diabetic cyclist?) i.e. "brokaw, who has been a major news anchor since 19XX, is an out heterosexual who splits his time between New York and wherever. Brokaw lives with his heterosexual wife, mrs. brokaw . . .

people are people. leave off the labels.

finally, the very use of 'dumb as a box of rocks' to describe rachel is more descriptive of the person making the comment. you may not like her, you may not agree with her informed opinions, but 'dumb as a box of rocks' ? please.

Posted by sharron August 21, 08 01:43 PM
  1. Now I know where all the MSNBC viewers are. The couple of dozen pro Maddow peole will not be able to keep the show alive. I think O'Reilly's repeat at 11:00 does twice the ratings as Abrams, now it will be three times.

Posted by Rupert Murdoch August 21, 08 02:27 PM
  1. To the doubtful:
    For those of you who only know Rachel via Countdown, hold on to your opinions until you hear her on her own show. She's brilliant, fair, compassionate and balanced. She is true to her values which include tolerance, kindness and a desire to know the truth. If she misspeaks, she corrects the records. If she doesn't know something, she finds the expert who does and helps to educate us. This isn't a liberal talking head--this will be fact based analysis. Try listening and you will certainly learn something. Or is your mind completely closed?

A long time fan of Rachel Maddow.

Posted by Lisa and Terry L August 21, 08 03:31 PM
  1. Nice to see that Keith Olbermann - a raving lunatic - has been replaced.
    Maddow is a "smart liberal"? That is an oxymoron like "jumbo shrimp".

Posted by Richard August 21, 08 04:31 PM
  1. She is so biased towards Obama, not a true journalist. MSNBC has sunk low.

Posted by Mary August 21, 08 04:53 PM
  1. Hoped into Submission...You nailed it.

Maybe she can borrow Keith Olberman's stupid eyeglasses.

Posted by Dave NS August 21, 08 05:26 PM
  1. First, let me say I am thrilled Rachel Maddow will be getting her own show on MSNBC, though I will miss Dan Abrams as a daily fixture on the network. MSNBC hit pay dirt with the likes of Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann. Maddow will definitely be an asset and help continue the nets double digit ratings growth. Yes, haters, I said DOUBLE DIGIT ratings growth.

What I find most interesting, though, are the smattering of negative comments posted here. Notice the consistent mean-spirited, condescending tone in ALL of them. It's the same kind of bullying rants we hear ad nauseum from right wing commentators like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly. Why is it that so few conservatives seem capable of disagreeing in an intelligent manner? They play fast and loose with the facts, reduce debate to little more than name calling and seem genuinely proud of their blatant ignorance.

I have absolutely no problem with the obvious rightward slant of FoxNews, I just wish they'd stop pretending it didn't exist. Pretending it is a legitimate, unbiased news channel is like saying Barack Obama isn't half black. To those who have slammed the "liberal" slant of MSNBC here, you might want to remember that shows like "Countdown" are NOT intended to be newscasts. Like "The O'Reilly Factor" on Fox and "Lou Dobbs Tonight" on CNN, they are commentary shows. By the very nature of the word "commentary" these shows will have hosts who express a particular political viewpoint.

MSNBC stopped being a 24/7 "news" channel several years ago. It is a mix of traditional news blocks, commentary/opinion series and documentary programs. They are NOT pretending to be anything other than what they are. FoxNews can't say the same thing as long as they continue to pretend to be "fair and balanced." So, for people like BOB (comment 53) who claim that FoxNews has many "liberal commentators" I say we must be watching different FoxNews newtworks. Aside from the extreme right wing views of ALL their headliners, have you seen how guys like Bill O'Reilly treat any guest who disagrees with them? It's shameful.

A couple of other fun facts some of you might want to chew on. While you can make all the snide comments you want about MSNBC, the fact remains that the network has experienced explosive ratings growth in the past year, much of it because of Keith Olbermann. You know the FoxNews honchos are worried because they have been using ALL of their Murdoch owned news outlets (print, internet and TV) to attack Olbermann, MSNBC, NBC and corporate parent GE. If the audiences for MSNBC shows are as small as a few of you (erroneously) claim, why all the fuss and whining from the Fox camp? Could it be because Olbermann is now nipping at the heels of O'Reilly in the ratings (even beating him multiple times recently in the 18-34 and 18-49 demos that advertisers hunger for)? Last time I checked, if your competition is truly weak, you don't give them the time of day. What some of you might want to do is actually READ a Neilsen Ratings report rather than making up numbers and ratings claims that are completely false.

Rachel Maddow got a show on MSNBC because she routinely gets ratings on par with Olbermann when she fills in for him. She is also a smart, witty and fair-minded person who just happens to have a liberal world view. She does not scream at those who disagree with her. She does not call people names or insult them on the air. She is not a right wing bully getting her talking points from the Bush White House. I wish her well and will be tuning into her show.

Posted by Ron H. August 22, 08 02:43 AM
  1. Poster #2, Janine, says Rachel is "as dumb as a box of rocks."

Janine, do you live in a parallel universe from the rest of us, where everything is opposite of what it is in the REAL world? Say what you want about Rachel Maddow, but dumb is NOT one of them. I'm positive she could make you look foolish within seconds discussing almost ANYTHING you might choose to discuss and/or debate. I'd PAY to see it, in fact.

Rachel is bright, funny, quick on her feet, well spoken, and can get to the point of any argument or discussion as quickly as any talking head I've seen on any network or cable news/opinion show. If people give her a chance, she'll be terrific.

Good luck to Rachel Maddow! Kudos to Keith Olberman for paving the way for her! Finally, a breath of fresh air among the all too numerous, empty-headed windbags that populate the news shows.

Posted by Matt Talvi August 22, 08 06:00 AM
  1. Ugh, gross.

Posted by Devin R August 22, 08 11:03 PM
  1. Dumb! Give me a break Janine. If Rachel was a white male with the same creditials, most of America would be cheering and watching MSNBC like there's no tomorrow. Way to go Rachel and what a great move on the part of MSNBC before hug turning point for our nation. I'll be right there watching @ 9 PM with ya Rachel. You go gurl!

Posted by Eric R August 26, 08 09:46 PM
  1. Rachel Maddow is a welcome addition in a mostly male TV world. She is bright, clever and funny. She knows her stuff and presents in it a clear way.
    Rachel is fun to watch. She beats all the competition even self loving Bill O'Reilly.
    I would love to watch her new series on MSNBC but Comcast has blocked the channel unless I want to spend a whole lot more $$$. Bad move on Comcast's part just as we swing into the election season.

Posted by susan August 27, 08 08:57 AM
  1. I enjoy Rachel's spots where she covers for Keith often a lot more than I do Keith in his own show. My 'gaydar' must really be in need of a tuneup because I had no idea Rachel was a lesbian until I got intrigued by her enough to do some research.

For those of you asking why her sexual orientation is relevant, it is only so because she chooses to live her live out of 'the closet' she is openly gay, and until we come to a time and place in this world where that doesn't offend, shock or bemuse some folks it will always be germane.

Rachel is bright, witty, smart, savvy and spot on when it comes to stories, and I think that's what really annoys the people on the right. She's all of that and NOT one of them.

Smart people never are...

Posted by Chaz August 30, 08 01:21 AM
  1. So biased, she cannot be taken seriously. Truly absurd. What a waste.... totally irresponsible.

Posted by Carolyn September 1, 08 08:44 AM
  1. Rachel reports about politician's lying. I've caught her telling lies herself. She is obviously bias and therefore is not credible as a journalist or commentator.

Posted by Nancy September 5, 08 07:21 PM
  1. She is not a journalist for sure. They have opinions based on facts. Not hopes and wishes. I have never heard an original thought from her, but I only listen to her when the channel I am watching is showing a commercial. She may have had one and I missed it.

Posted by R Moyer September 7, 08 08:56 PM
  1. Finally she has her own show. She is a breath of fresh air.

Posted by Ronald Johnson September 8, 08 09:46 PM
  1. Good Luck in the coming Years. Great work to Keith Olberman for having her on his show , I made it a point to see her. Now that Rachel her on show it's a pleasure. She has the smarts, quickness and insight to be one of the best in the business of news casting. Keep up the great work , because I love you show.

Posted by Joe Sanders September 14, 08 12:37 AM
  1. I never heard rachel on Air America, but I really love her show. Its very refreshing to hear somone ask about the facts. The true facts. She has a very common sense approach. Good luck Rachel, I look forward to watching.

Posted by Jeff Barabas September 17, 08 10:06 PM
  1. The absolute best overall political (and other) hour on television. Bright, witty, personable and so very articulate. It's the only hour of TV I absolutely must watch and record because I often times need to go back and review some of the great stuff she is able to uncover and present.

Posted by Christopher Marks September 18, 08 09:21 PM
  1. I lived in Trinidad and Tobago and view the Rachel Maddow show,which I must say that I like the style in which she carry the show from begin to end.She 's funny ,entertaining, really cool and yes very smart ,a breath of fresh air.Keep up the beautyfull work.

Posted by Patricia James October 4, 08 11:31 PM
  1. I never watched any night news since Cronchite lied to public about Kennedy murder and Vietnam War. He was the only one in USA that seemed to not know the truth................... Until Oberman .....Then Maddows......now,. I am a loyal viewer and fan and hope the current owners of this station wise up that the public is no longer a drunk,drugged or "tired of the same" crowd. We are ingagged no matter what age now and WANT TRUTH....... NOT like FOX's crass insults to viewers intelligence. Morning Joe should be replaced. No clue as to how people are feeling and when he has guest "STOP TALKING , YOU BAFFON"!!!

Posted by Kyle Wolfe October 9, 08 11:16 PM
  1. another lib.lizbo like matthews and olbermann have too share the same brain given to them by obama camp.now we'll have three on a brain.

Posted by johnny hutto October 16, 08 07:57 PM
  1. When I saw the title of the article, I knew it would be pathetically short (comprable to Obama's "memoires!"). Rachel Maddow is qualified to run a show on MSNBC because she is a liberal who has spewed hatred on the faling Air America...and of course she is a lesbian. Sad place where this country is heading. Barrak Obama was a community organizer, a shakedown trial(? - how many?) attorney and a lecturer at a law school (hardly a 'professor' as he never published a single professional work), then a neophyte politician. I guess he's about as qualified to be our president as Maddow is to host a show. But, man he can read a teleprompter. I can't be original about how unoriginal her show is because someone else already made that point. Nevertheless, you go(!) mini-me Olberboy!

Posted by very afraid October 20, 08 10:58 PM
  1. I have ALWAYS been a loyal CNN fan......until now. I can't miss TRMS . You would think listening to her radio show & watching her on TV every night one would O.D. on her. But you just walk away wanting more RM! FINALLY A VACCINE FOR RUSH! We love RM! thank you MSNBC! You find yourself asking WWRMD? (What would Rachel Maddow do?)

Posted by Kim Albright October 24, 08 08:16 AM
  1. I love her show, plus, she's a Bosox fan!

Posted by Sam October 27, 08 12:53 PM
  1. For many years I was a loyal tv CNNer and had cnn.com as my homepage. Since Ted T left CNN and left the TW BOD the network has really gone down hill and is now just another network-like news channel (way too much sensationalism now).

Because of the above I moved over to MSNBC about a year ago. (both tv and .com)

I have actually enjoyed watching Oberman and Maddow but have recently grown tired of their extreme left-wing & one-sided views. Too bad they are so one-sided and unfair in their reporting. For a national news program this is really unfortunately. Yes, Fox does the same on the “other side”.

I’m interested in hearing recommendations for a neutral middle of the road news program – one that is fair and objective. Do any exist?

Posted by Charles October 31, 08 06:07 PM
  1. I started watching her show in October -- I didn't realize she just started in September. Okay, so she's openly liberal, but she's funny. She's not exactly a "counterpart" to the right-wing commentators out there -- they're absolute loons who peddle disinformation and paranoia.

She's a lesbian? Hmm -- didn't know. She's still funny as hell. :-)

Posted by Paul November 13, 08 10:54 PM
  1. Rachel is a buffoon. Is her show a comedy. She is not even close to greatness like Oberman. She is a wanna-be loser.

Posted by Hillary Smith December 17, 08 06:31 AM
  1. Hey Hillary Smith. I don't think that someone with a PhD in Political Science as well as being a Rhodes Scholar make Dr. R. Maddow a buffoon. Think again.......
    by Bobeco

Posted by Robert Conde March 8, 09 03:32 AM
  1. As far as I am concerned this woman is as sharp as a tack and delivers real down to earth views without a hammer and a scream. She does not resort to "name calling" like so many of the other talking heads do and I like that. She is a young person with my views and that is so refreshing in this crazy world we live in. I was thrilled when I heard she was getting her own show. Was worried the network would try to change her format from her radio show, but so far it appears they have left her alone. Hip-Hip hurray!

Posted by Midge Marino July 22, 09 03:45 PM
  1. Rachel is amazing, she has exposed people (like Dick Armey) with their double talk and involvement in the town hall meetings. I have been impressed with her thorough coverage on "grassroots" *cough* corporations to help the people. These corporations do nothing that does not directly affect their bottom line. Rachel does our homework for us and I give her an A. I do not miss an episode, she is an intelligent, funny, and fair journalist. She admits when something is misrepresented. Move over Bill Maher, I have a new Favorite. :)

Posted by MD August 21, 09 10:32 AM
  1. Oh Yeah! Another liberal looking for acceptance in their wish to live the way they want because the bible never gave them advice that they thought was easy enough.

Good job MSNBC - put her on the forefront - shoot, you people had better hurry up if you think you're going to capture back American's from that treacherous, moral, Glenn Beck.

Americans are smarter than you think.....and most of them still want what this country was founded on. If others don't like it - move to China.

Posted by Christine October 20, 09 11:46 AM