Forgive me for sounding goopy -- it doesn't happen often -- but more than nearly anything else on TV these days, this show makes me happy. And not embarrassed-for-myself-a-little happy, as I am when watching "Mamma Mia!" or as much as I can tolerate of "Dancing With the Stars." Unequivocally happy. For such reasons as...
1) Cat putting on Twitch's glasses and fake gold teeth. Don't try to tell me we'd ever see Ryan Seacrest doing that.
2) Hearing David Cook's "American Idol" coronation song as the backdrop to a lovely dance. I usually despise "Idol" coronation songs, but the growly Cook delivery makes this one a wee bit more tolerable.
3) Watching Joshua dance his way to the top of the heap. With Will out, I think I now give him the best odds to win. Did the Katee factor help him, as per my theory from last week? Probably. She makes him look strong. But his solo was his own. (And a corollary question: Why are the guys' solos always so much more interesting than the girls', which always seem to be a muddled heap of the same kicks and turns, and in Chelsie's case, rapid hip shakes?)
4) A shout-out to a blessedly silent Paula Abdul. It's nice to recall that she had a decent career before she get so famous for being supportive and incoherent.
5) The fact that none of the judges had anything really negative to say, yet still came across as completely sincere. Loud, in Mary's case, but sincere.
As for tomorrow night's eliminations - I don't even want to hazard a guess. I imagine Katee and Joshua will be safe. Everything else seems up for grabs.