(Michele McDonald/Globe Staff File)
Boston Symphony Orchestra music director James Levine has withdrawn from the remainder of this season due to his lingering back problems, meaning the orchestra will now have to find conductors to lead it during an upcoming tour of the East Coast.
Levine, whose tenure has been marked by artistic highs but physical ailments that have kept him on the sideline for extended periods, was not available for comment, the BSO said. There was also no word of Levine’s plans for the summer season at Tanglewood.
An email from the BSO's Bernadette Horgan said: "James Levine has had to withdraw from his remaining scheduled concerts of the BSO's 2010-11 season, March 3-19, including Symphony Hall, Carnegie Hall, New Jersey Performing Arts Center, and Kennedy Center appearances, though all concerts will take place as scheduled. We will be sending updated program information at some point tomorrow morning."
A spokesman for the New York Metropolitan Opera said Levine has not canceled his appearances there. His season at the Boston Symphony was slated to end March 19, while his Met season was supposed to start there March 30.
Late last week, The Globe first reported Levine's latest ailments that forced him to cancel his appearances this past weekend and this week. That story is here:
More to come.