As Tyler Green first reported, Kathy Halbreich is leaving the Walker. She's very clear, in an e-mail to me, that she's resigning, not retiring.
Tyler spoke with her and posted their exchange.
I e-mailed a series of short questions which, as expected, elicited a series of short responses.
1. Odds of your taking a job at either the MFA, ICA, or Mass MOCA in the next five years.
2. First leisure activity you'll undertake.
Leisure? Does reading count?
3. Royal Caribbean or Carnival Cruise?
Try a kayak.
4. Any plans to visit the new ICA?
Would love to.
5. Will you leave Minneapolis?
Next 7 mths are all about helping to provide a smooth transition for institution and staff I love---too early to speculate. (Could someone tell me how my son became a midwestern engineering student?)
6. Biggest regret from your time at the Walker.
Decided to leave before I had any.
7. If you had a choice, name three people you think could run the Walker.
No can do but I always believe a good process, which I am confidant walker's will be, turns up the appropriate candidates...the final choice is more subtle.
8. Thing you are proudest of about your time at the Walker.
Remarkable staff and institutional culture, expanded accessibility, daring to lead, trust of artists, using our responsibility wisely, being well supported by board, funders, community and colleagues.