Two adds from today's story.
First, a photograph by Wiqan Ang of Building 5, from the outside. (We weren't let in.)
And while I can't reprint the entire, seven-page statement sent by Christoph Büchel - even the tubes have limits - here's the list of demands the artist sent to MASS MoCA director Joe Thompson in January. The list should give you a sense of how far apart the two sides are.
-The artist will not give permission to show an unfinished project nor will the artist allow the museum to show any work in progress, as the museum had suggested in previous discussion related to the postponed opening date.
- Money needs to be raised and in place to finish the project as it was proposed and completed.
- A projected budget for the second round will be sent, if an updated to punch list with very detailed photographs of the installation and the updated list of items that have been organized has been sent.
- The additional monies raised must cover the costs for ALL elements and ALL structural elements, which are clearly defined and which were much discussed. This money would have to cover the cost of the salaries, flights, per diem and housing for the 1st and 2nd round for assistants and the replacement crew and equipment to be hired.
- There is NO negotiation about the scope of the project. It will be realized as proposed.
- There are no elements to be eliminated as the museum had proposed and the artist will not accept any orders and any more pressure or compromises as to how things have to be done from the museum director or museum’s technicians. The artist demands full autonomy with regard to his artwork.
- A new installation crew would have to be hired in addition to the three Swiss assistants, which replaces partially the museum’s crew. This would be the team that completes the installation.
- The new crew will have access to the workshop, tools and machines and other necessary facilities in order to work anytime (24 hours access weekends included).
- The artist and the crew will work independently on the project with Dante Birch (full project manager assigned the 15th of December 2006) as a technical mediator between the institution and the artist.
- The artist will not give permission to show an unfinished project nor will the artist allow the museum to show any work in progress, as the museum had suggested in previous discussion related to the postponed opening date.
- The artist will require there to be no further acts of sabotage or obstacles that affect the work in progress.
- There will be no transport street through the exhibition as demanded by the museum, since it has and will tremendously increase the amount of time and money invested in making mobile structures and affects the reinstalling of already built structures and situations. The artist showed practical and handy alternatives -- coming up with several acceptable solutions. An exhibition space is not a route for transporting crates for other shows when they can easily be done otherwise.
- The opening date of the exhibition will be defined by the date when the artist and crew returns.
- The opening date will be not be earlier than 2 months after the artist and crew arrive.
- In the meantime the artist and his assistants will not remain on standby as the museum attempts to comply with the aforementioned conditions. The artist and assistants will resume work on other projects and return to the museum when all conditions have been satisfied.